Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

just glancing at that image made me think they were doing a set in ibiza with sleaford mods

it was a great image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Rebel Radio https://m.facebook.com/groups/139839549439611?view=permalink&id=798835003540059&_rdr

Wall of Death (much better quality) https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=435952573230264&id=18452288248&_rdr

Rebel Radio sounds like it could be really cool. Apparently it's a reworked Heatwave Hurricane (from their poo poo era that I mentioned in a previous post), but I didn't recognise it.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 4, 2015

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
The Day is My Enemy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PNLmbtTKg

Totally awesome live.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

EvilGenius posted:

The Day is My Enemy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PNLmbtTKg

Totally awesome live.

Hoooolllllyyyy gently caress!

That's awesome. Really looking forward to this album assuming there's more tracks like this on it.

The Fat of the Land was the first cd I ever bought. Me and one of my close friends used to bump that poo poo constantly in middle school. I ended up being the 'DJ/guy who plays songs' for a school dance in 6th grade and got kicked out for slipping in Breathe, Firestarter, and Smack My Bitch Up in-between all the Green Day, Backstreet Boys, Limp Bitkit poo poo I was forced to play.

We still bump it. My buddy has become a somewhat accomplished DJ and occasionally mixes in some Prodigy with his stuff. Sad thing is, no one really loving knows who The Prodigy is (in America at least).

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I feel you. Last days of term were usually 'do what the gently caress you want' days at my school. FOTL and Experience did the rounds on the class ghetto blasters. And Happy Hardcore.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Maxim isn't at Brisbane Future Music Festival. They opened with Nasty about 15 mins late. I hope he's ok :(

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Avalanche posted:

Sad thing is, no one really loving knows who The Prodigy is (in America at least).

Woah. I can't imagine this. The Prodigy are pretty loving massive in the UK. Even my parents know some of their tracks.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nam Taf posted:

Maxim isn't at Brisbane Future Music Festival. They opened with Nasty about 15 mins late. I hope he's ok :(

"Personal tragedy" apparently.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I seem to recall that Madonna's label bought them in the US after FOTL and then completely failed to promote them when AONO came round. I remember Liam moaning about it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

nomapple posted:

Woah. I can't imagine this. The Prodigy are pretty loving massive in the UK. Even my parents know some of their tracks.

My dad sings fire starter whenever he's trying to light a barbecue, it's hilarious

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I, Butthole posted:

"Personal tragedy" apparently.

https://instagram.com/p/z7akQQIk6y/ - Clip of the announcement. Heard it might be something to do with his mum. Either way I hope it's not serious.

Meanwhile they've played another new track (the 9th now), Destroy. It's essentially the "Destroy the Melody" track that's been floating around, but beefed up a little, and sans Wiley.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Roadblox http://youtu.be/-vbbxauYdfYi

Some great melodic elements going on here. Vangelis and Art of Noise poo poo. The intro has been posted as a studio teaser on Facebook a few months back.

It doesn't say what gig this is from, but given that it sounds like Keith is doing a bit of a Maxim impression I'm going to assume it's the one he missed.

Edit: I haven't been as excited by the other tracks as I am by this one. Beautiful.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

The setlist of brisbane Future music festival last night, in case any one cares, was:
Nasty
Breathe
Omen
Firestarter
Roadblox
Rok-weiler
Destroy
Voodoo people
Wall of death
Run with the wolves
Omen reprise
Invaders
Smack
---
Hospital

I was really itching to hear TDIME but I guess the Maxim thing caused them to drop it after starting late :(

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm cautiously looking forward to this album. So far it sounds like a mix of the FOTL era with the really old ravey breakbeat stuff.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

The setlist of brisbane Future music festival last night, in case any one cares, was:
Nasty
Breathe
Omen
Firestarter
Roadblox
Rok-weiler
Destroy
Voodoo people
Wall of death
Run with the wolves
Omen reprise
Invaders
Smack
---
Hospital

I was really itching to hear TDIME but I guess the Maxim thing caused them to drop it after starting late :(

They did Breathe without Maxim but not TDIME?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Right, I've updated the second post with everything I could find. Consider this a spoiler warning for the album.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

EvilGenius posted:

They did Breathe without Maxim but not TDIME?

I presume that was more a factor of running 10-15 mins late on starting. Their encore break was really short.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

A pic of potential cover art for Wall of Death was put up on social media. The Internet has somehow determined this means it's coming out as a single, specifically on the 17th? Anyway here's the pic:

Also some good news for fans of The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Rise of the Eagles has been confirmed as a cover of their track, by the wife of their guitarist, no less. Can't recall if it was posted earlier, but either way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6N8eGc_j3E

Try to imagine Keith singing that. Phwoar.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Well looking forward to that. I'd forgotten how good Eighties Matchbox Disaster were. I can defo hear some Prodigy in that.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNjy5-G3cF4

Wall of Death. They're hitting heavy, and hitting hard. Remember that this is the album closer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Song owns, not used to hearing so many f bombs since Their Law.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Yeeeessss mate.

What I said earlier about that creative spark. It's definitely there on this one. Primal Scream's Exterminator album is definitely an influence - walls of dark electronic noise. A fist fight of unpredictable beats in the first half set-up the second half of blissfully dark straight-up hip hop instrumentals. Keith delivers a snarl that's so cool you don't even care that the words make no sense. The star of show though is Maxim, who's ability to sound simultaneously threatening and enticing, is finally captured on record.

LOL, it's getting slated on FaceBook by people who don't get it. 'I've been a fan for years and this just doesn't do it, wah wah'. You get this odd contradiction with Prodigy fans in that they simultaneously want any new material to sound totally different and exactly the same as their previous material.

Wall of Death is certainly a highlight, and possibly one of the great Prodigy tracks. I'll have to wait and see if the buzz wears off!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 16, 2015

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
That is a loving belter.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

LOL, it's getting slated on FaceBook by people who don't get it. 'I've been a fan for years and this just doesn't do it, wah wah'. You get this odd contradiction with Prodigy fans in that they simultaneously want any new material to sound totally different and exactly the same as their previous material.

Yeah, it makes no sense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HJB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNjy5-G3cF4

Wall of Death. They're hitting heavy, and hitting hard. Remember that this is the album closer.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, this destroys :flashfap:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This is going to be a really great tour.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah, it makes no sense.

I suspect these are kids who bought IMD and moved on to whatever the latest genre scene is (the same artists that tend to do the Prodigy remixes that I don't bother with). They then get funny that the new material doesn't sound exactly like that. One of the comments went off on one about it being 'under produced', which screams genre snobbery to me.

These are people who don't recognise that the Prodigy are a band, not a producer.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Well the buzz hasn't worn off. I think Wall of Death is the best Prodigy track since Breathe.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

EvilGenius posted:

Well the buzz hasn't worn off. I think Wall of Death is the best Prodigy track since Breathe.
I think you might be right.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Alright, there's a week-ish to go - Germany, Australia and a couple of other places get it on the 27th, most of us have to wait till the 30th - and the hype is building. There's all sorts of listening parties going on in the UK over the next couple of days, and I believe Radio 1 are doing a special tomorrow night from 7pm GMT where they'll be playing a few new tracks (at least, ones that haven't been released yet). We're nearly there.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Time to test your willpower, kids.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nam Taf posted:

Time to test your willpower, kids.

:negative:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

For those of us who wish to pretend that iTunes didn't royally screw up and that there's still nothing out there, here's Ibiza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUHZnbWoyo

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
What did iTunes do?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

They basically pressed "Go" a week too early; they fixed it eventually but it was far too late by then. As leaks go it's not so bad for the group, they still got paid, but having something as big as that mess up is pretty lovely.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Well, all who said Rhythm Bomb would be terrible, prepare to eat your words because

The Prodigy - Rhythm Bomb (feat. Flux Pavilion) B…: http://youtu.be/aGdYzC51Oig

Nah, actually it is loving terrible.

Ibiza is cool though. I couldn't imagine how the Sleaford dudes' vocal would work, but it really seems to fit The Prodigy attitude.

Vvv I need to hear a higher quality version, but I think it's the worst thing they've ever put out!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Rhythm Bomb isn't that bad but it desperately needs a bit more drum and bass instead of the rave feeling it has. The foundation is definitely there for a good song.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I like this album but there's a strong sense of deja-vu with a lot of songs reusing parts of IMD-era songs, which is really weird and makes me curious as to what the album sounded like back when it was called How To Steal A Jetfighter. Get Your Fight On mixes parts of Take Me To The Hospital & Wild West. Ibiza sounds like a remix of Piranha. Roadblox sounds like a new version Warning.

The songs that actually sound fresh and new (The Day Is My Enemy, Destroy, Beyond The Deathray, Invisible Sun) are really good, though. I get the impression that Liam was going somewhere interesting with this album but got cold feet and fell back on the IMD sound for a lot of tracks. It sounds a little too safe in my opinion, but it's still good.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I get the impression TDIME came together really quickly, despite the large gap.

So far it feels kind of more rock than previous albums. There are tracks that would work without any electronics at all, and sometimes I kind of wish Liam would let a bunch of musicians have a go, rather than what sometimes sounds like him trying to shoehorn a rock song into his style. Primal Scream were really, really good at this before they went back to straight up rock.

Case point, I think Wall of Death, Nasty, TDIME, and Ibiza would all be great songs for a band to play (with a keyboard player for some of the leads). It would be a fresh direction for them, and it royally piss off a few fans!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Giving the album a run through now. The only singles I checked out were Nasty and Wall of Death.

So far I like it more than I thought I would. Nasty definitely sounds better in the context of the album even if it's only the 2nd track in. Ibiza is loving horrible though, what the gently caress?

• Locked thread