Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I opened a book, it's called The Algebraist by Iain M Banks, and it's some nerdy sci fi poo poo and has a villain who carries a living head (like those in futurama) as a punching bag and is called something ridiculous like Luseferous or something

this is considered a good book by sci fi fans, haha

whatchu reading GBS? and what do you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Kuato easily claims the first post!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
im reading mefisto in onyx its a harlan ellison novella about a dude who can read minds and has to go to death row to find out if a guys innocent and theres a crazy twist

good book imo

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The man without qualities, my biography

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I am reading forums.somethingawful.com

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
"A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram. It's big and black and has lots of pictures of squares and triangles in it.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Frogisis posted:

"A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram. It's big and black and has lots of pictures of squares and triangles in it.

http://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/wolfram.html

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
The World of Ice and Fire

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I was gonna read every book on NPR's best books of 2014 list in 2015, but I am too drunk for this poo poo, so I will probably just read some more Iain M Banks in 2015

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I am about to start House of Leaves

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

1941 by Slavko Goldstein it's real good

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

spooky girlfriend posted:

I am about to start House of Leaves

a true classic

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

a true classic

That's what I hear. I hope it doesn't have scary things that happen in woods, because I walk my dog in dark woods at night and it already scares the poo poo out of me some nights.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the kquran

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
kant's critique of pure reason.

it's a rollercoaster.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Schild's Ladder

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Your will op

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i got a big anthology of poems from throughout history ive been reading off and on

shakespeare was an alpha though, he even had a poem where he negged his girl

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Broenheim posted:

i got a big anthology of poems from throughout history ive been reading off and on

shakespeare was an alpha though, he even had a poem where he negged his girl

hopkins is the best poet

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Foucault's Pendulum. I haven't read the DaVinci Code but this is what I imagine the plot would be like if it weren't written for idiots

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

a song of hells and angels by hunter r. r. thompson

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm rereading lotr because of the recent lotr threads in gbs

idk it's good but I skip the songs and poems for the most part.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hentai

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

i'm rereading lotr because of the recent lotr threads in gbs

idk it's good but I skip the songs and poems for the most part.

how is it? last time i read it i was skipping school. my guess is his prose quality is underrated for its dryness

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
nerds itt why dont you read something written for not autists

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
About to read Clariel from the Abhorsen trilogy. It's a "teen" book but the series is actually baller and I loved the first three.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
has anyone read that book "stoner" it's supposed to be really good

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The Vagina rear end of Lucifer Niggerbastard by Shawn Wunjo. A modern classic for these troubled times.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah I was going to say I didn't like his prose so much but then I realized nah it's just kind of dry and once you get past that it's actually pretty good

my biggest complaint is that a lot of the characters seem shallow. But so far I'm 2/3rds of the way through the Two Towers and that's gotten better - it was mostly something I noticed about the Fellowship of the Ring.

and it's short so it's not like it's a huge time investment. the whole thing is a little over 1000 pages.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

has anyone read that book "stoner" it's supposed to be really good

I enjoyed it.

I'm reading The Bush by Don Watson, it's awesome

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's no game of thrones thats for sure

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

yeah I was going to say I didn't like his prose so much but then I realized nah it's just kind of dry and once you get past that it's actually pretty good

my biggest complaint is that a lot of the characters seem shallow. But so far I'm 2/3rds of the way through the Two Towers and that's gotten better - it was mostly something I noticed about the Fellowship of the Ring.

he sketches his characters like biblical characters, but his female characters are virgin maries. but every time someone offers an example of his lovely prose all i see is a staid oxfordian cadence, with the occasional dry charm

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
tolkiens been ripped off so much that his writings could feel generic when they definitely weren't back in the day

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

infinite jest

reads like 800 pages of short stories that all relate to each other

weird as gently caress but really good

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
the subs in the anime that's currently playing on your television while you post on the forums with another internet computing device

EDIT FOR REAL POST: Adulting

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
louis ck sucks a bit now

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Snow Crash.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

My obituary, printed a day ago in my hometown newspaper as I relax on a sandy shore, thousands of miles away, basking in the sunset glow of what was a perfect getaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The Orphan Master's Son. It's really depressing.

• Locked thread