Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
edgar allen poe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I'm reading Time Travelers which is a collection of four science fiction novellas all concerning time travel. One of the stories was about a society where there were no men and women lived in bland cottages with different colored curtains and child-birth is done by a special class of people called 'Mothers' who are blown up to a grotesque size so they can have five and up kids at once on the regular. The mothers are also worshiped by a bunch of burly amazon chicks who rough up dissenters. It's ok it also has an Asimov novella about a neanderthal kid who is kidnapped from the past to the present and then the nurse who is put in charge of him comes to see herself as his mother and defends him from discrimination while constantly remarking to herself 'Stupid men!' I haven't read the last story yet.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I'll keep you updated, OP.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
i just finished "in the heart of the sea" which was a hilarious comedy of errors.
very good, would recommend to fans of curb your enthusiasm and nbc's the office.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The Guns of August

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have teh cracked app on my smartphone (android kit kat)

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Reading novel about Satan's glory hole kindle recommended for me

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I'm reading the back of this lighter now, op, its say I should ignite it away from my face and/or clothes. I think this is sound advice that not only applies to lighters but other things in life as well.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The misbehavior of markets - benoit mandelbrot, i don't understand half the context for the poo poo in this book but i can tell it is v. interesting and i hope to understand one day

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
im about to start both 'the age of radiance', which is a book about the atomic era in the us, and 'the exegesis of philip k dick' which is a giant tome of crazy poo poo from a crazy dude

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i love the d

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
skunk works

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Against The Day

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

:siren:serious post:siren: A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett. One of his not so great selling novels but I think it's decent and it was only ten bucks so hey. I just like to go to the book store, pick out something cheap and buy it with no knowledge of the book past the blurb. So much better reading a novel when you know nothing about it and everything is a surprise. Researching fiction and reading up on all the info and reviews before you read/watch/listen just kills the experience imo. Just got Gardens of the Moon and will start reading it soon because yeah TBB.

Also am reading the hentai doujinshi "kenichi bangs miu hard in the dojo" and am loving it so far.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
house of leaves is a loving piece of poo poo

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i read red seas under red skies by scott lynch and it's poo poo

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
in terms of fiction son of the morning by mark adler which is about the beginning of the 100 years war in a world where god is very explicitly real and he's a dick

for non-fiction the quran by an illiterate fat warlord which is an extremely tedious and repetitive read but i have learnt if i convert to islam i'll be able to marry my cousin. i have some hot ocusins so maybe the religion isn't all bad

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

iPhone: Just finished "The Scarlett Plauge" by Jack London, next "The Iron Heel"

Short Story/ Novella Break Reading: Just finished "The Duel" by Anton Chekov, moving on to something else by him next or Whitman poetry

Real Book Reading: "The Brothers Karamazov"

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I got house of leaves for xmas but I'm not sure if Im meant to start sideways on page 1 or just pretend i've read it.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
proust at the gym op, like a mothershitting adult. bizarre to see this thread on my return.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

'Command and Control' by Eric Schlosser

It's good because I know I need to stop reading when my face starts to hurts from the constant :stonk: of reading about the US mishandling nuclear weapons.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

and I wish I wasn't

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
read george eliot u dumb cuntz

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's p interesting so far.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i read the wasp factory by iain banks last week op p good p good

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

social vegan posted:

hosed up book, bery good but hosed up

a shame that dude went full nerd later

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm reading this thread. Not very good so far.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

social vegan posted:

its the only book ive ever had to put down for a moment, cause of what happened to eric

currently re-reading it though

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Beige posted:

its the only book ive ever had to put down for a moment, cause of what happened to eric

i know this is like, internet cliche now but that book and blood meridian are two of the most disturbing books ive read

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

yeah im trying to find more of his that i'd like but it's all nerd poo poo. the preface in the wasp factory i had is him talking about how he always wanted to be a nerd and it's like naw man.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
I'm on book 6 of the jack reacher series. Kicks butt and takes names that guy. Woo doggy.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

social vegan posted:

yeah im trying to find more of his that i'd like but it's all nerd poo poo. the preface in the wasp factory i had is him talking about how he always wanted to be a nerd and it's like naw man.

he wrote a lot of regular ol fiction under iain banks as opposed to iain m. which is his scifi name. none of it is quite as good as wasp factory but he's a solid writer

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

he wrote a lot of regular ol fiction under iain banks as opposed to iain m. which is his scifi name. none of it is quite as good as wasp factory but he's a solid writer

just picked up crow road because i heard that's the next step after wasp, keeping fingers crossed

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Orkin Mang posted:

read george eliot u dumb cuntz

I don't like chick lit.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
was a solid writer, i didnt realise he died

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what love is worth that sweet monotony where everything is known and loved because it is known

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Rereading Jurassic Park and Asimov's Foundation series.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
TIL goons read a lot of fiction for some reason

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a posting ghost posted:

TIL goons read a lot of fiction for some reason

reason being reading is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl