Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

notion to bring tbb book club thread to gbs so it actually gets posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

social vegan posted:

notion to bring tbb book club thread to gbs so it actually gets posts

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

bensnotacat posted:

infinite jest

reads like 800 pages of short stories that all relate to each other

weird as gently caress but really good

same

i'm about 200pg into it(out of what 1100?) so some of the seperate stories are coming together but still pretty :wtc:

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I'm reading a book about the history of treatment of people with 'madness' in europe and america from the 1700's to the present day. its pretty hosed up man. It really pokes a hole in the 'society is and always is progressively getting more progressive' because in the 1820's to 1880's ish there was really humane treatment for the mad that involved giving them a supportive environment that had a high recovery rate, and then around 1880's to 1940's the eugenics movement started and and insane people started to be viewed as cancerous wastage on society that should be sterilized, imprisoned, and/or executed.

From the 30's to 50's a lot of 'cures' for insanity were invented that were ways of destroying the frontal lobe either directly through lobotomy or indirectly through cutting off sugar or oxygen to the brain for extended times on a repeated basis (like 40 - 100 insulin induced comas for example). The child-like placid body that resulted was considered an improvement because it lacked any self-awareness or will and could be easily shuffled around a hospital. Yikes.

I'm just getting to the chapter on anti-psychotics, looking forward to it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm finishing up 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. He's a jap dude, but I swear it's not a manga or animes.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

i jheard that is cool, is it cool?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
im reading the hyperion series by dan simmons

its really good and would make a good bunch of movies imo

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Ocean Book posted:

I'm reading a book about the history of treatment of people with 'madness' in europe and america from the 1700's to the present day. its pretty hosed up man. It really pokes a hole in the 'society is and always is progressively getting more progressive' because in the 1820's to 1880's ish there was really humane treatment for the mad that involved giving them a supportive environment that had a high recovery rate, and then around 1880's to 1940's the eugenics movement started and and insane people started to be viewed as cancerous wastage on society that should be sterilized, imprisoned, and/or executed.

From the 30's to 50's a lot of 'cures' for insanity were invented that were ways of destroying the frontal lobe either directly through lobotomy or indirectly through cutting off sugar or oxygen to the brain for extended times on a repeated basis (like 40 - 100 insulin induced comas for example). The child-like placid body that resulted was considered an improvement because it lacked any self-awareness or will and could be easily shuffled around a hospital. Yikes.

What book is taht

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.

Beef Turret posted:

What book is taht

p.sure that's a foucault book

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
murakami is cool if you like fantastic reality or w/e it's called but basically the main character is always this really mundane dude who lives a boring life and then all sorts of crazy poo poo happens and hes not sure if its real or not

ive read maybe 3 books of his and ive liked them all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ocean Book posted:

i jheard that is cool, is it cool?

v cool in fact. Murakami writes in a way that is just fun to read.

Dyna Soar posted:

murakami is cool if you like fantastic reality or w/e it's called but basically the main character is always this really mundane dude who lives a boring life and then all sorts of crazy poo poo happens and hes not sure if its real or not

ive read maybe 3 books of his and ive liked them all.

This is pretty much spot on. I've only read 1Q84 and Wind Up Bird Chronicle though. You also learn about crazy hosed up things that (maybe) happened in WW2.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
human being.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
ive read one where the main character sat in a well half the book, kafka on the shore which was cool and broke the mold a bit and then his first which was a scifi story about lizard people living under tokyo

they were all good

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

1q84 sucks compared to his other stories because it just feels like the same density as one of his normal books diluted to fill more pages imo. It's good, but get wind up bird or wild sheep chase or kafka on the shore first

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
Dick Torture the Book: Bitches and Buttholes, a Collection Book 1

http://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Dick-T...orture+the+book

open container
Sep 16, 2008
all the robert greene books

they are legit good even if they seem really bad on the surface

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
GBS

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Beef Turret posted:

What book is taht

Mad in America : Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill by robert whitaker. I happened to see it when looking for my differential equations textbook and I'm glad I picked it up.

de_dust posted:

p.sure that's a foucault book

there are good books by foucault that center around the creation of docile bodies and their enclosure for the effective running of industrial age institutions (discipline and punish, madness and civilization, birth of the clinic) if you are further into this stuff, though this book reads a lot easier than foucaults work. I read the first 150 pages yesterday.

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 22, 2015

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ocean Book posted:

I want to read this. What's the title?

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
If only there was some way to read mentally ill people talk about books on mental illness.. holy loving poo poo i think our dreams are being answered in this thread

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

I want to read this. What's the title?

see my above post

sexy young infidel posted:

If only there was some way to read mentally ill people talk about books on mental illness.. holy loving poo poo i think our dreams are being answered in this thread

a marked improvement from the marginalization of mentally ill voices imo.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Instead of reading a book like a hosed up retard I'm going to write one

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

i hesitantly look forward to reading it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im trying to read moby dick too but it's secretly really boring

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

sexy young infidel posted:

Instead of reading a book like a hosed up retard I'm going to write one

I want to write a kids book

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

most classic are and if its boring to you i suggest dropping and reading something you enjoy

then maybe in a few yaers try again

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dyna Soar posted:

most classic are and if its boring to you i suggest dropping and reading something you enjoy

then maybe in a few yaers try again

the first 40 pages of bram stokers dracula are really good, then all the sudden it turns into a giant boring poo poo fests. The only readable classics now are sci-fi.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

i made this mistake last year, sometimes it's interesting but dude writes like he's getting paid per word

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
19th century lit just needs patience and practise imo, if you're just looking for a good story you should probably stick to modern stuff

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
and what about that classical music, i mean where's the drop?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
read american gods

again

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

open container posted:

i made this mistake last year, sometimes it's interesting but dude writes like he's getting paid per word

one time i made it to the part where it basically turns into an encyclopedia about whales and then nope

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
lol at the guy itt who was like "wow why am i surprised that loving goons read fictional books :hehe:"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

social vegan posted:

one time i made it to the part where it basically turns into an encyclopedia about whales and then nope

i made it half way through moby dick realized i didn't pay attention for like the last 50 pages and didn't know what i was reading and said gently caress it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
teatro grottesco by thomas ligotti and i also started in cold blood by truman capote

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
the changing light at sandover, a three-part epic poem by james merrill (son of the merrill & lynch guy).

it's extremely dense and erudite, but the stuff that i do get is drat good. it's the best book about people loving around with a ouija board

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

Well that's my story.

Ocean Book posted:

there are good books by foucault that center around the creation of docile bodies and their enclosure for the effective running of industrial age institutions (discipline and punish, madness and civilization, birth of the clinic) if you are further into this stuff, though this book reads a lot easier than foucaults work. I read the first 150 pages yesterday.

ah, thought you were talking about 'madness & civilization'

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
mostly jpegs and pngs actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
a collage of 4chan and twitter screen caps purporting to explain why someone ive never heard of and dont care about is a sjw

• Locked thread