Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
I spend a lot of time lurking the Bogleheads forum. They do an annual net worth survey, and I think we ought to do one too!

Please answer the questions truthfully. After a month or so of quality responses I'll prepare some charts for the goonmind to review.

No Commas dudes!
Anonymous Survey
http://goo.gl/forms/JBHYHebRRQ
If you want to edit your earlier response just submit a new entry and annotate in the additional comments which row and timestamp you are replacing.
Results
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19ZMSjTLKriXTFsE9Hk73TIQF7UrIGrFkVZe8PbMsmTA/edit#gid=1466705772

Neato Graphs!
Be back in a bit, more graphs to come!!

80% of BFC Posters are between 25-34

Median income

CDF for income and net worth. Read these charts by starting at the x axis, and reading up the line. Measure to the Y axis to find the % of BFC with less income/net worth than you!
Example: in the top left graph. Read the y axis value associated with the line above the x value of 100,000 to determine that about 73% of single BFC posters make less than $100,000.

Net worth by age alone

Net Worth by age and DINK/kid status

Net Worth 1 adult vs 2 adults

Average Net Worth by Education Level: Thanks Higgy

Average Net Worth by Career Track: Thanks Higgy

edit: responses to posts below

BossRighteous posted:

To clarify, Primary residence [asset] is current market value, while Mortgage [debt] is current principal, right?
Yes

Bloody Queef posted:

This is a dumb suggestion, but mostly because I'm phone posting, could you add a column in the results sheet that sums up the Assets - Debts? I think that'd be neat. And then maybe a running average for all the columns at the bottom?
Done

BossRighteous posted:

OP, what is your email if people need to request edits after the fact? No PMs it appears.
I checked the "allow edits after submit" button. Let me know if you have problems. My email is velochis (at) gmail (dot) com

Evil Robot posted:

A question about location would be good too.
Good idea! Added.

EugeneJ posted:

Why is the Net Worth not calculated for like 90% of the survey-takers
I put in a formula to calculate net worth, and dragged down the rows containing that formula to row 10,000. Aparently google forms doesn't recalculate in real time. I've been manually logging in and redragging the net worth equation to get it to recalculate.

Velochis fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I took it.

My take away, no one had kids 7 to 0 so far.

Interested to see the results.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

I found this interesting just to see what other people's financial situations are in terms of roof over head. I had adjusted my budgeting to start paying more principal on my mortgage already. This is strengthening my resolve to do so.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

To clarify, Primary residence [asset] is current market value, while Mortgage [debt] is current principal, right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BossRighteous posted:

That was my assumption.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
This is a dumb suggestion, but mostly because I'm phone posting, could you add a column in the results sheet that sums up the Assets - Debts? I think that'd be neat. And then maybe a running average for all the columns at the bottom?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Haha, that's pretty interesting already.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
A question about location would be good too.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm thinking the $2.5m home was a typo lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Somebody lives in a $2.5M house on $86,000 a year. And their mortgage is $230,000. Check your 0's fools

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Somebody lives in a $2.5M house on $86,000 a year. And their mortgage is $230,000. Check your 0's fools

Maybe they just saved up for like 15 years to make a huge down payment on a mansion :downs:

Also, god drat at whoever makes 350k as a software developer.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

OP, what is your email if people need to request edits after the fact? No PMs it appears.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Also maybe put a note in the OP not to use commas. No one actually reads the full prompts on surveys.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Saint Fu posted:

Also maybe put a note in the OP not to use commas. No one actually reads the full prompts on surveys.

Using commas may have prevented that 2.5mm house that should have been 250k. Just use Gcalc so split out the commas

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
This confirms my suspicions about BFC. Thanks!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Bloody Queef posted:

Using commas may have prevented that 2.5mm house that should have been 250k. Just use Gcalc so split out the commas
Yeah, I only mention it because I didn't read and put in commas only to notice it after the fact. Agree that commas are a good thing.

Anyway, thanks for doing this OP, very interesting to see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ntan1 posted:

This confirms my suspicions about BFC. Thanks!

Which are??

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Leave blank if unsure.
*leaves blank*
This is a required question.

:psyduck:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nocheez posted:

Leave blank if unsure.
*leaves blank*
This is a required question.

:psyduck:

The statement below this is true.
The statement above this is false.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Once more data is compiled, some graphs of net worth by age or deciles of wealth or something would be interesting.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Well poo poo I thought I was doing pretty well at 25 till now.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Gorman Thomas posted:

Well poo poo I thought I was doing pretty well at 25 till now.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Whoops, I made a mistake in my assets.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You people need to have more kids. Someone has to pay my social security.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Whoops, I thought it was the number of homes and rental properties, not the value.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
I wish there was a region/location question. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Now I'm depressed

Hey, at least I have an expensive house!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Feelin' like a failure over here

At least I'm getting a raise soon

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
Thanks for participating folks.To those of you feeling blue about the results remember that BFC represents a self selecting group of financially savvy people that is no where near the average American.

Velochis fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 22, 2015

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

spwrozek posted:

Which are??

That BFC is a very self selecting group of financially savvy people who have a lot more money than an average American.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Also we hate kids

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Gorman Thomas posted:

Also we hate kids

It's not so much hate as I want zero debt and well over 100k saved before I have one. Also for my fiancee to have a job that pays enough that daycare for two kids won't be so much that she may as well quit.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
I always enjoy seeing the occupations that people hold. Makes the place seem more diverse even though a good chunk of people are in positions related to tech.

I wonder what the responses would be if this was surveying the forums as a whole instead of a sub-forum. Also wondering how many people would lie if this surveyed everyone.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Also wondering how many people would lie if this surveyed everyone.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 23, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
dbl post.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 23, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
dbl post. ~sorry

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

*angry parent voice*
You wanna try for 4?!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wans't that bad, but I put in what our equity in the house is rather than the total valuation, then put an extra zero in one of the assets column, whoops, too bad there's no way to update it after you close the survey page.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

People are really underutilizing the optional Additional Comments field IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why is the Net Worth not calculated for like 90% of the survey-takers

• Locked thread