Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That was very interesting (and humbling!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Foma posted:

Yeh, I thought I would be on the upper end of the pay scale. I should go get a higher paying job (or get more money).

Also I really doubt all those people with no CC debt and shouldn't our portfolios be larger?

I personally didn't put any of my retirement assets in because I honestly only monitor that I'm contributing enough. If I stared at the balance too much I might do something dumb and cash it out to buy another investment property or two.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Cool, thanks!

Could be doing better, could be doing a WHOLE LOT WORSE.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Foma posted:

Also I really doubt all those people with no CC debt and shouldn't our portfolios be larger?
I have about $150.00 in cc debt but I'm paying that off next week so not counting it. No portfolio to speak of though.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Foma posted:

I don't count mine since I pay it off every month, but it's usually a few k. As for portfolios, mine looks tiny next to my income but we all seem to be young and my income has grown like 500% since I started working. I'm guessing we're all getting into our high-paying years around now and starting to build a portfolio after paying off debt.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That's what's going on in mine, definitely. My income has more than tripled since 2011, and I'm using the extra after maxing out my 401(k) to pay down my wife's ungodly student loan debt. Given her 8.8% interest rate, it's the better option right now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I just don't make enough money to stay out of debt, support 2 kids and significantly grow our investments. All you jerks with your maxing of (any) retirement accounts make me jealous.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Our DINK lifestyle is stymied by the incredible cat budget though.

Yeah this is me. Kitty lymphoma sucks but I have the dough.

Someone needs to enter SloMo into the sheet. Put "baller" in the comments so we know.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wish I could stay a DINK forever. :sigh:

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish I could stay a DINK forever. :sigh:

You sorta can you know.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I wish I could become a DINK. Being single is so financially inefficient.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

That's what's going on in mine, definitely. My income has more than tripled since 2011, and I'm using the extra after maxing out my 401(k) to pay down my wife's ungodly student loan debt. Given her 8.8% interest rate, it's the better option right now.

Almost the same here. My income has almost doubled since 2012. Between 2008 and 2011 I was only contributing the minimum to my 401(k) to get the match from my employer, all while paying off my car and student loans. Since 2012 I've upped my 401(k) contributions to 10% and maxed out a Roth IRA every year, and fully funded my HSA as well. Do I have super impressive portfolio? No, especially since its all pretty much index funds (Roth) and target retirement account (401k). But am I WAY ahead of where I was even 3-4 years ago? Hell yes.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man, looking at the savings rate of people here, I feel late to the party when earning an income. Hopefully finding tenure track job and my wife( well, getting married in March anyway) coming out of med school will turn it around for us.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
OP - are you ever going to fix the Net Worth column of the spreadsheet - that's kind of the point of the thread, no?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I'd like to see some kind of graph/chart for income so I can beat myself up about not earning more.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I feel more like a failure based on the education stats than the income stats. loving 28 year olds with PhDs up in here. One of my profs, who's a relatively famous academic, got his PhD when he was 25.

Hell, my thesis advisor was old but he had three PhDs. Just couldn't settle on MIT engineering or Harvard philosophy but international development was the way to go I guess. He once built a helicopter in his back yard but when he turned it on "the whole thing just shook itself apart."

26 and rolling into the second bachelors! :suicide:

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

tuyop posted:

I feel more like a failure based on the education stats than the income stats. loving 28 year olds with PhDs up in here. One of my profs, who's a relatively famous academic, got his PhD when he was 25.

Hell, my thesis advisor was old but he had three PhDs. Just couldn't settle on MIT engineering or Harvard philosophy but international development was the way to go I guess. He once built a helicopter in his back yard but when he turned it on "the whole thing just shook itself apart."

There was a grad student in my university who was going for her fifth masters related to science during my graduation. Her parents were rich so she could follow her dream of learning as much of her interests as she wanted and she just never wanted to get a PhD. She kept paying the school international student rates as she lived abroad, and came to the US to go to the same school :psyduck:, and they were happy to take her money. She was in her early thirties and never decided to plan her life out a bit more. Not even to take part in bigger research projects or join a company where her skills could be useful.

I wish I could do the same but I would be happy to end up with a masters at least one day.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Can we get the official spreadsheet updated with some pivot tables now? :)

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 6, 2015

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

tuyop posted:

It's all relative. I'm a college dropout and make 96% of the household income while my wife who brings in the rest has two bachelors and a masters.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Velochis, would you mind if I posted some quick graphs I made of the data? I think it might be interesting to see some of this visualized.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

I got mine at 26, that's starting college at 17+9 years of undergrad/grad school (and 4 years of undergrad + 5 years to Ph.D is not that uncommon in a lot of fields). People in countries like the UK with short Ph.Ds can finish even earlier without exceptional circumstances.

Now 22 or 23 from a top program, that's pretty crazy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

blah_blah posted:

I got mine at 26, that's starting college at 17+9 years of undergrad/grad school (and 4 years of undergrad + 5 years to Ph.D is not that uncommon in a lot of fields). People in countries like the UK with short Ph.Ds can finish even earlier without exceptional circumstances.

Now 22 or 23 from a top program, that's pretty crazy.

Holy poo poo, what's your field?

I mean, most Philosophy PhDs I hear about are like seven years long, and masters tend to run long as well. Education takes people a bit less time but over five years isn't unheard of if your research is very involved.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Math, but I know some people in similar fields (physics, biology, etc), that have finished in similar amounts of time or less -- a friend of mine got her Ph.D from Stanford in biology at 25 (4 year undergrad + 3.5 year Ph.D). That is definitely exceptional.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope

Higgy posted:

Velochis, would you mind if I posted some quick graphs I made of the data? I think it might be interesting to see some of this visualized.

Please do!

I'm going to make my own graphs now. Also re: the net worth column being f'd up. It's a google spreadsheetism. I dragged the formula down to row 10,000, but it doesn't appear to take unless I drag it on existing data. Every couple days I go in and and update the net worth column.

I couldn't figure out pivot tables on the spreadsheet. If anyone has experience in this area I'll give you ownership of the spreadsheet and you can help us out. Send me an email at velochis (at) gmail (dot) com

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Velochis posted:

Please do!

Cool! Didn't want to steal your show or anything like that.

Here a few quick/dirty shots of BFC Net Worth by a few different groupings:

Average Net Worth by Age:

I can potentially make this easier to ready by doing age groupings - 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, etc if anyone wants to see it that way.

Average Net Worth by Education Level:

Average Net Worth by Career Track:

Full disclosure, I took some liberties on this one since it was an optional field. I did my best to group the disparate job titles.

If anyone has any requests for a cut of the data they want to see, let me know and I can (probably) make it happen.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 8, 2015

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
edit ^^^ cool graphs. It's fortunate that we decided to show different assets of the data. I'm using R, what program are you running?

Alright folks, graphs are done (also reposted in the OP). Let me know if you can think of any other cool ideas to display the data.

Velochis fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 8, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Higgy posted:

Average Net Worth by Career Track:

Aw those poor scientists :(

I thought I was doing OK but the other 33 year olds are totally outclassing me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
10 minutes after entering my stuff, I realize I forgot to put my 401k into my portfolio value. Go me. :downs:

I was feeling good about how where my student loans were at, but leave it to BFC to put me in the middle of the pack.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Velochis posted:

edit ^^^ cool graphs. It's fortunate that we decided to show different assets of the data. I'm using R, what program are you running?

Just dumb old excel. Doesn't go nearly in depth as yours though, just some quick pivot tables and averaging.

edit:
I have a few more. Same grouping and formats as before but now focused on total average debt. I wobbled a bit on whether or not to include Mortgage debt with the rest. I can post another series with it taken out if anyone wants me to:

Again, these are pretty simplistic. Feel free to request anything you'd like to see. OP seems to have the handle on real statistical analysis but I can make some pretty and simple pictures for people.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 8, 2015

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope

Higgy posted:

OP seems to have the handle on real statistical analysis but I can make some pretty and simple pictures for people.

Hey thanks, I'm a statistician by education, but all too rarely get to put my craft to work in my day job.
Some comments: average total debt if kind of meaningless if you are using to to imply it is a bad thing. Is a doctor with 250k student loans really in the same amount of "debt" as an engineer with zero but a 250k mortgage (secured by a house). Also some people have seriously skewed income/debt. I find median is a much better descriptor of average than mean.

One more graph.
CDF for income and net worth. Read these charts by starting at the x axis, and reading up the line. Measure to the Y axis to find the % of BFC with less income/net worth than you!
Example: in the top left graph. Read the y axis value associated with the line above the x value of 100,000 to determine that about 73% of single BFC posters make less than $100,000.

Velochis fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 8, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
CDFs are the best and we should teach them in kindergarten.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Velochis posted:

Hey thanks, I'm a statistician by education, but all too rarely get to put my craft to work in my day job.
Some comments: average total debt if kind of meaningless if you are using to to imply it is a bad thing. Is a doctor with 250k student loans really in the same amount of "debt" as an engineer with zero but a 250k mortgage (secured by a house). Also some people have seriously skewed income/debt. I find median is a much better descriptor of average than mean.

Agreed and not implying it's a bad thing. When juxtaposed with net worth it becomes clear that it's not bad, it was just an easy cut to make.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I added some average and medians pivot tables / graphs in the original response spreadsheet if anyone clicks the other tabs. Turns out the mean BFCer is worth $200k with an income of $110k but the median BFCer only has $100k on an income of $90k.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Log link GLM with covariates of age, kids (y/n), and anything else that looks interesting? Possibly with fixed offset for log debt to get DTI regression analysis?

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
linear regression I found nothing significant. I thought about log link, but a lot of people have negative net worth.

I'll take another look later.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I took the liberty of including my estimated bonus in my income, most of it is guaranteed this year and the next but I guess I gotta keep up the hustle to keep the survey accurate. This is fascinating, great idea. Lets have a BFC goonmeet at the Harvard club or something.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is neat. OP, what software did you use to make the box graphs and CDF's? STATA? edit: Answered above, using R for the curious

Also I've wasted my youth and made terrible decisions. I will be poor now and forever. I disgust myself.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can someone pull up similar stats for the population in general. Thread needs some loving hugs.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

tuyop posted:

Can someone pull up similar stats for the population in general. Thread needs some loving hugs.

The Bad with Money thread just discussed that a couple days ago. Check out this post and the subsequent conversation:

Devian666 posted:

Here's the net worth percentile rank calculator. You can enter your age in both boxes and your net worth to discover that you are bad with money. I don't live in the US and recent devaluation of the local currency versus the US has diminished my rank but at least I'm well past 50%.

http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/?min_age=0&max_age=0&networth=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Despite not knowing anything about statistic, this is really cool.

Apparently I'm in the ~30th percentile for income but ~60th percentile for net worth. That's encouraging, anyway.

• Locked thread