Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
How is it that we've come so far as a species, created so much incredible art and yet have collectively decided that every single loving song, in order to achieve a modicum of popularity, needs to have a four on the floor beat? There's literally endless possible time signatures and rhythm patterns to choose from and yet humans have decided "nah, I just want something that metronomically and relentlessly goes BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM lest I get distracted and forget when the beats are."

loving christ.

This is a 4/4 time free zone. Have some loving RYTHMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxZ4eoLMn4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What is this? A time capsule thread? It's been a thing since the 60s you glacial retard

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i enjoy doggy style while listening to music

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Spanish Manlove posted:

What is this? A time capsule thread? It's been a thing since the 60s you glacial retard

Counterpoint: There were some prog hits in the 70s that ventured outside of 4/4. The complete saturation of four on the floor in music is a more recent development.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
i agree op https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
groove is hard to get with weird time signatures and ppl like groovy poo poo

song in the op sucks btw

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

good on math rock for giving all those kids from youth group something to do after turning 16

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
for op here's some p. good poo poo that's not necessarily 4/4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJxGQ6yTNoU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
nice dogshit rhythm op

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
The song in the op is spazzy bullshit, every time it gets going and I start to enjoy it one of the neckbeards in the band go and add a bunch of notes in that don't belong. I bet dancing to that would look like an epileptical fit.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
if you didn't want 4/4 rock music maybe you shouldnt have forced all those africans into slavery in the new world op

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Lunixnerd posted:

The song in the op is spazzy bullshit, every time it gets going and I start to enjoy it one of the neckbeards in the band go and add a bunch of notes in that don't belong. I bet dancing to that would look like an epileptical fit.

you dont get it its not dancing music maaaaannn

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

melodies and functional harmony are for scrubs, where's my atonal pop music :qq:

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

so, your point is that stagnation and insipid simplicity are good?

edit: after listening to 32 seconds of the music in the op and then jamming a letter opener into my brain, i conced the point to Spanlove. Good game, sir

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

btw have u heard about this thing called the "loudness war"? googel it, it'll blow ur mind!

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
My next album will consist of 1 hour of incoherent screaming interspersed with the sound of a nearby construction yard.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Lunixnerd posted:

My next album will consist of 1 hour of incoherent screaming interspersed with the sound of a nearby construction yard.

finally someone who dares to think outside the box. too bad all the sheeple out there will probably ignore what is sure to become the most important release of the decade

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
OP there's a reason Yes and other good prog bands tend to have some sort of theme or lyrical concept they break to and reference throughout a song

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this thread might have a point if most math rock wasn't unlistenable garbage made for pretentious spergs to jerk off over

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Holy hell that sounds like poo poo only literal artists could tolerate this.

The ones that don't lose their poo poo when faced with any appreciable amount of outside stimulus anyway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think the waltz should go back in style

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"If a normal person can dance to it, it sucks" - A dork.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
people used to legitimately believe negroes used the devilish four to the floor rhythm to rape white women

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

is this u OP

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Cymbal Monkey posted:

How is it that we've come so far as a species, created so much incredible art and yet have collectively decided that every single loving song, in order to achieve a modicum of popularity, needs to have a four on the floor beat? There's literally endless possible time signatures and rhythm patterns to choose from and yet humans have decided "nah, I just want something that metronomically and relentlessly goes BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM lest I get distracted and forget when the beats are."

loving christ.

This is a 4/4 time free zone. Have some loving RYTHMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxZ4eoLMn4

that song starts in 4/4 you loving idiot

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E-IIufn7Fs

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
FOUR ON THE FLOOR

So cool.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
4/4 IS DESTROYING MUSIC!!!!!!

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFLiEBRVc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmc17m2Z5w8

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Oops sorry

FOUR ON THER FLOOR IS DESTROYING MUSIC!!!!!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Dun dun dun tish, dun dun dun tish, dun dun dun tish, dundundundundudndtishtishtish

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm not surprised that a lot of people don't understand what four on the floor really is and why the op is complaining about a specific beat and not a time signature

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
*epic drum solo

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYIaWeVL1JM

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not surprised that a lot of people don't understand what four on the floor really is and why the op is complaining about a specific beat and not a time signature

yeah but then he said it was a 4/4 free zone then posted a song that started in 4/4 so i don't think he even know what he means, know what i mean?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
I like when the snare goes SNARE SNARE SNARE SNARE

But the bass doing the same is killing mother earth.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
OPs band is poo poo.

I think people got the point, posting some band OP liked.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
i thought home taping was killing music? i just can't keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
music with a steady pounding beat is fun sometimes

• Locked thread