Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not surprised that a lot of people don't understand what four on the floor really is and why the op is complaining about a specific beat and not a time signature

not a lot of people read music, especially percussion notation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Obscuritatem posted:

i thought home taping was killing music? i just can't keep up.

Nah dude it's click tracks
Or autotune
Or guitar pro
Or drum samples
Or

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ocean Book posted:

music with a steady pounding beat is fun sometimes

you say that now, but when all music has been killed and there is no more music in the world, maybe you'll reconsider....

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
OP I liked the band you linked better when they were called Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdpMpfp-J_I

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Saltin posted:

OP I liked the band you linked better when they were called Rush Dream Theater Tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdpMpfp-J_I

fuc kcanada

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

what are you talkin aboot?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Personally what I think is killing music is the concept of specific artists and producers making music to be sold, rather than having average people getting together to make music out on the front porch after work and having community concerts

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Doctor J Off posted:

Personally what I think is killing music is the concept of specific artists and producers making music to be sold, rather than having average people getting together to make music out on the front porch after work and having community concerts

you still sort of have this except it's on youtube now

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

What's killing music now is that there is *no* entry barrier to seperate those that actually have musicality and talent and effort and drive, from those that just plain don't and shouldnt make music, but nope gently caress that i got a computer i can be a music man too!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I wish to return to the days of yore when there were gate keepers of fine music known as "record labels" who carefully curated music and musicians such that there were no bad artists with any public exposure whatsoever.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

What's killing music now is that there is *no* entry barrier to seperate those that actually have musicality and talent and effort and drive, from those that just plain don't and shouldnt make music, but nope gently caress that i got a computer i can be a music man too!

everyone should feel like they can be a music man but more people should put in time actually learning to play instruments

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Sorta, i mean that 'back in the day' there was a definite difference between real music, which you could tell was real music, because it came on a loving tape or record or cd or on the radio, by a real band. If it didn't you knew it was a gimmick or something and people didnt try to pass it off as real music

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

open container posted:

everyone should feel like they can be a music man but more people should put in time actually learning to play instruments

:agreed:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Correcting myself a bit, im talking more about the real music industry, not music itself

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
Good music for dancing has always used intricate syncopation to "groove" and it is much more powerful a method for causing bodies to move than thump thump thump thump. Afro Cuban, funk, things like that. Boring white ppl starting seriously abusing the dance beat in their twee indie pop in the early 2000s and its kind of tapered off and we're back to hip hop beats circa 1998 mostly. This is what I have observed.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
It is far easier to be good at your instrument than it is to do something interesting with it. Culture is too self consciously ironic and self referential for new ideas to gain ground. Remix culture. Music is artless and disposable. Everything is gay. All is lost.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

sorry op nobody except jaded musicians enjoy spazzy 13/7 bullshit

open container
Sep 16, 2008

fanged wang posted:

It is far easier to be good at your instrument than it is to do something interesting with it. Culture is too self consciously ironic and self referential for new ideas to gain ground. Remix culture. Music is artless and disposable. Everything is gay. All is lost.

do you play an instrument? it is not easy to be actually good at playing an instrument.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

fanged wang posted:

Everything is gay. All is lost.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
-kurt cobain

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
You have two feet you move each foot twice to complete a dance step. Try dancing sometime.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Rascallion posted:

You have two feet you move each foot twice to complete a dance step. Try dancing sometime.

How uninspired.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Rascallion posted:

Something tells me the OP has never left the safety of his mom's basement, never mind a dance club with that oh so trendy 4/4 music.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
All music is terrible. Just sit in a dark room doused in your own vapors.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

fanged wang posted:

There it is. The fundamental flaw of postmodernism is a dependence on previously known material; there are a billion bands making music and trying to outdo one another but so much of it is derivative and stale that it's hard to find something truly new and interesting.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

open container posted:

do you play an instrument? it is not easy to be actually good at playing an instrument.

Yeah. Any idiot can play well with enough practice. Some have a natural affinity for it but go look at all the virtuoso 6 year olds on YouTube. Who gives a gently caress. It's like those scrabble champions who have memorized the dictionary but are lovely at communicating because they are stunted spergs.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That song you posted sounds like loving King Crimson making GBS threads out a massive pile of diseased super-flu infested diarrhea while Robert Fripp slowly wails and slaps his semi-flaccid cock against his frayed guitar strings.
That song is so loving bad it's offensive, Jesus loving Christ.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

time signatures lol
http://youtu.be/Z1RrVa_axRY

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Weird time signatures are a hallmark of musicians and bands who reach for the stars while falling down a bottomless pit. It's not always bad but the weirder and more technically demanding your music is, the floor for what constitutes good music is raised higher and higher and the number of musicians actually capable of writing and creating well at that level diminishes rapidly. Most people shouldn't attempt anything as hard as Black Dog and definitely reconsider their dreams of giving the sloppiest and nastiest blowjob to 70s/80s prog

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Neumonic posted:

There it is. The fundamental flaw of postmodernism is a dependence on previously known material; there are a billion bands making music and trying to outdo one another but so much of it is derivative and stale that it's hard to find something truly new and interesting.

Yup. Influences are supposed to be tools in your toolbox. I think most would agree that Hendrix was a monster guitar player but every note he played on his albums was meant to reinforce the themes and emotions he was trying to communicate like you know loving art and poo poo. The solo for fire has 3 notes in it, because those are the correct notes for the story he was trying to tell. His songs would not be improved, even slightly, by random meter changes and 32nd note sweeps.

Don't get me loving started on sweep picking!

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i danceslaughter faggots to 9/8

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
Using janky meters just because monkey cheese is what ppl do when they have no taste or restraint. Who the gently caress are you tryig to impress? Bc its lol certainly not the female gender.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cymbal Monkey posted:

How is it that we've come so far as a species, created so much incredible art and yet have collectively decided that every single loving song, in order to achieve a modicum of popularity, needs to have a four on the floor beat? There's literally endless possible time signatures and rhythm patterns to choose from and yet humans have decided "nah, I just want something that metronomically and relentlessly goes BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM lest I get distracted and forget when the beats are."

loving christ.

This is a 4/4 time free zone. Have some loving RYTHMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxZ4eoLMn4

at what age did you 'grow out' of metal?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Whorelord posted:

at what age did you 'grow out' of metal?

Grew out of prog :colbert:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cymbal Monkey posted:

that's the worst possible answer you could've given

aside from maybe jazz

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Meshuggah is mostly 4/4 and they are doing just fine sounding mostly not 4/4.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Bitch look at what you posted you nutsack.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Whorelord posted:

that's the worst possible answer you could've given

aside from maybe jazz

It's a lie as well.

I never grew out of prog.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was drumming once and because of my lobotomy i was busting out polyrhythms on accident and people thought I was cool but really im a fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here ya go, OP

7/11. Better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE5VdsuGWJg

Also LOL at people posting 4/4 vids.