Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Well, if it's worth doing once

Dragons!
Just speaking the name of these beasts brings images of burning cities, destructive storms, and insidious power! Even the least of these cunning and powerful beasts could lay waste to armies, destroy towns, and reduce the proudest of warriors to an evening snack. Opposing them is the greatest folly, and facing them in direct combat is tantamount to suicide.

So clearly joining the Dragon Slayers was the best choice for you.

Whether you seek vengeance, or riches, or glory, or death, you have chosen to devote your career, and likely your life, to destroying the great beasts known as dragons. Such a job is not taken lightly, and your every step will be met with all their intelligence, strength, and power. Cultists, assassins, and the terrible Three will throw themselves in your path. It remains to be seen whether you will have the strength to meet them.

What's this game about?

This game is about facing some of the most mechanically interesting foes in 13th Age, Dragons! This isn't some extended dungeon crawl with lizardlike end bosses though, I'm taking the "Some Unique Thing" aspect of dragons to their fullest extent, and I'm hoping for players interested in using the more RP and narrative focused abilities of the 13th Age classes. I'm thinking of running this in an 'episodic' way, where getting info, making plans, and finally executing them takes up a level and focuses on one particular dragon with special importance to a PC. Plot hooks are great, especially where they relate to your OUT!

Right, right, but I mean concrete stuff

I'm looking for 3-5 Level 1 characters
-Point Buy
-Original book and 13 ways are A-OK, I reserve the right to veto any 3rd party stuff. (Stalwart is p. cool)
-Be around and :justpost:, I'm gonna try to keep the pace of this game up
-Don't worry about the Precise Shot feat, we're not using the missed shot rule

-Join me at #sadragonslayers for build tips and general natter!
Though I'm probably on the other side of the planet than most of you, so communications may get spotty

So who's ready to kill some dragons?

Edit: Please note that, while dragons obviously feature strongly, try not to feel Icon Dice with The Three is compulsory. Plenty of other players get involved when you're hunting dragons!

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Ryven's stuff is a-ok with me. So Flame112, the Dilettante is cool, as is the Vanguard for Selachiam

Krysmpheonix, icon dice generally are all positive/negative/conflicted, with the number of dice reflecting how useful the relationship is. Your idea pretty much is perfect for a 2 dice conflicted relationship with the GGW, so no need to change much.

Edit: stalwart is by Ryven, isn't it? Regardless, yes, I really love what the stalwart has going for it.
Edit2: No, its by some guy named Paul, but that doesn't stop it being a good thing I encourage people to try.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 23, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of playing a Chaos Mage as sort of an Imperial Psyker--though the Emperor specifically doesn't really like those in 13A so more GGW or Archmage or something. I've just never played 13A before despite having the books, the randomness seems to minimize spellhacking but is it too much, or the class overall too disruptive?

I'm... not quite certain what you mean by spellhacking, but sorcerors have plenty of spells and junk that rely on random effects. I regret to say I don't have 13 Ways yet, so I can't make many recommendations outside the core books.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey, MelvinBison, can you tidy up your sheet a bit? You're breaking tables pretty hard.

So I'm not just calling people out, lets throw some slightly gleaned, slightly made up info on the lesser two dragon colors!

White Dragons are a mere shadow of their former glory, nowadays regarded as nuisances and weaklings, only capable of harassing small farming towns and frontier towns. Stories and Legends tell of a long gone time when The White, the Matriarch of all dragons, stood against the Lich King in an endless and terrible war that tore apart the humans and dwarves caught between them. But the Lich King eventually claimed victory, slaying The White in combat and casting down her armies. With their Icon destroyed, it is said, the white dragon brood were diminished, never to recover. The Lich King hunts them to this day, as they make excellent fodder to raise into powerful servants.

Green Dragons, in contrast, are more dangerous for their unpredictability. It is something of an open secret, though neither side will admit it, that The Green is held in captivity by the Elf Queen. Without his guidance or rule, the rest of the green brood has drifted steadily from their roots hunting the jungles and forests they called home. Many of them have rejected the other dragon broods, seeking power in avenues previously thought beneath draconic kind. A green dragon may not necessarily poison you and feast on you as a matter of course, but that may be because he is planning to sacrifice you to dark gods later.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Is that 13 Ways? I still need to pick that up. If not, can you link it? I can't seem to find Thaumaturge anywhere

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Whycalibur posted:

I'm a moron who actually meant Theurge.

Ah, then yes, the Theurge is cool. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Speaking of that, recruitment will close on Wednesday, January 28 probably sometime in the morning EST. I have 24 hours of flying the next day, so it seems like a good time for the participants to hash out how their PCs interact.

Edit: of course dragonspawn fit this. Failed experiments and jilted servants are a time honored dragon killing tradition.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 24, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Ah, noticed something.

- I'm going to ignore that weird rule about firing into melee having a 1/20 chance of hitting an ally. If you took Precise shot as a feat, you can pick up something more interesting

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

quote:

The Silver is canon to the setting, appearing briefly in True Ways. Let me know if anything's unacceptable. I love 13th Age and I've wanted to play this character concept for awhile now

CANON? I'LL SHOW YOU CANON YOU
Nah, even if you made that up whole cloth I'd still think it's a really cool concept. Half the point of 13th Age is taking the painfully generic setting and fleshing it out with whatever you're interested. Never be afraid to make poo poo up.

Edit: although, Captain Walker, I'd like a blurb talking about what you expect to get out of your backgrounds.
Oh, and actually half-Orc, or particularly lethal human?

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 27, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
And time is up! This game will be taking no further applications. Choices will be edited into this post shortly.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Okay, maybe not the same post, but anyway.

Meet the heros who will stand against the mightiest of beasts! The bravest of adventurers, or the most foolhardy.
The Dragon Slayers

Isaac Boreas Raiser of Dragon, played by Sockerbagarn
Lavi, Monster hunter, played by Krysmpheonix
Moju, Ambulatory magic item, played by Whycalibur
Ryu Kazama, The heart of silver, played by Captain Walker
and Twelve Serene-Star, Half man and half orc, played by Captain_Indigo

Thank you everyone for your excellent and imaginative applications. I'd take everyone if I could, but I do need to work.

As for the lucky five, a few things:

-First off, do me a favor and roll your Icon Dice.

-Second, you need to decide on where your headquarters will be. This is in part a question of what kind of game you want to play, whether more straightforward, or with shades of grey and :words:, or with wild situations to find your way out of.
Axis, heart of the Empire! Out here it can be assumed you have considerable support from the forces of the Dragon Empire and the followers of the Golden Wyrm. Lead armies against armies, protect the innocent, and generally be respected heroes across the Empire as you take the fight to the bad guys.
Horizon, the Archmage's laboratory! Here you have the greatest magical minds in the world at your fingertips! Regretfully those minds are rarely concerned with things like operational safety and consistency. Test powerful spells, find strange artifacts, and come face to face with the darkest magics dragons can muster.
Drakkenhall, behind enemy lines! Here you're deep under cover, mingling with the close acquaintances of those you swore to kill. Good for information, bad for your personal safety. It'll take tight lips and constant paranoia to keep from being squashed under the Blue's clawed heel. Find your targets, sneak and lie away from pursuit, and snatch victory from under your foes very snouts.
Or pick another city entirely, explaining how its good for the Dragon Slayers and what kinda game you want to play from it.

-Finally, for a bit of fun, you guys may be level one, but you've been around the block a few times. From the list of PCs above, take a look at the character below yours. Write a quick story explaining how that character saved yours from certain death, defeat, humiliation, what have you. Have some fun with it! (Captain_Indigo will obviously write how Twelve got his butt rescued by Isaac Boreas).

There you go! Have some fun with it, I'll try to be around for a while. But in about 12 hours I'm going to be on a 24 hour plane ride, so regretfully no responses from me until I arrive. And even then no promises as I wrestle with terrible jet lag.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 28, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Well that 3/5 for New Port and one interested, so I suppose that's decided!

New Port is a city of adventures. All people come to the young city, and all Icons have their interests there. I'll run this as a mix, but more that every 'adventure' will have a distinct feel to it. I suppose this will mostly just challenge me to create new and varied situations for you guys!

I'm gonna give WhyCalibur another day to join in while I create the game thread. Throw up a post if you're busy, but if we don't hear from you someone else will get the slot.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 30, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
It's no problem, just a 'busy, grading tests' here or if you can catch me on IRC is enough.
Game thread incoming.

Edit: Game Thread Here!

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 30, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey guys! Do me a favor and put down the reactionary stuff you guys can use to protect people or harm badguys or whatever, as well as a short bit about when you want to use it. For my case, I'll put more info on what the enemies are rolling to hit.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Probably not gonna be on IRC today, ask here if you have any burning questions wrt level ups and home decoration.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
If he rolls a 16+ on his death save, he can spend a recovery and get back up.
If anyone heals him, he can get back up.
It's a standard action to stabilize, and a background check DC25 to do it as a quick action.
Also a standard action to apply a healing potion, allowing hi to heal and get up.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Can't you Lay On Hands?
Edit: sorry about that, I was just joking to remind you not to shove a chicken leg into Twelve's mouth. Well Cooked Baked Potato is fine.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 24, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey Whycalibur, doesn't color spray hit 1d4 targets? The mushrooms are close enough that they're in the same group.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Well, if that's what earth horn said, that's what works, it's not like the other benefits are earth shatteringly overpowered. +2 AC in light armor it is.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Right, before we kick this thing off, I'd like to know if Twelve wants to split off to find Corporal Peddy. Don't worry, you'll get the chance to make a sweet entrance later in the fight if you do so.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Thank you, Sorry I haven't been able to get on IRC lately, regretfully the fight post may take a while, I work late today.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Say, Captain Indigo, I don't think you rolled your RAGE recharge roll.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Paging captain indigo. I was waiting for a bit to see what he did, but I'll post for him in, oh, 5 or 6 hours, depending on if my internet gets fixed.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Alright, captain walker. Just post about calling in your favor with Rurik or Peddy, and what you expect out of it.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
It's probably time to think of a new fifth. Before I put up a post in the recruit thread, is there anything in particular you guys want?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Right, recruitment is now open, leaning vaguely towards a Melee support class. All you new folks, please make a level 3 character.

The IRC channel is a good place for build advice and complaining about the GM, join us at #sadragonslayers

Edit: I'll close recruitment in, oh, 3-5 days, depending on how the game is moving.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 5, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Recruitment closes in 7-ish hours, ie. when I plan to get back from work.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I bet you guys hear this a lot, but these were all really good submissions, and I'd open a second game for these guys if I had the time.

But alas, there can only be one. Congratulations to Willi Winto, played by Shark Mafia, for being the newest member of the dragon slayers!

Go ahead and post an introduction in the thread and roll your icon dice.
Also, you get a freebie to start you off at parity. Your Book of Lich's Lore grants you the following:
When you roll a skill check using Int, Wis, or Cha and dislike the result, re-roll the check (recharge 16+)
This may change and improve as the game progresses.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
It's random, determined when you use it. There's a chart in the book.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Just move over there, no,other action needed

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Good to hear from you, don't stress out about it, we'll have a space for you when you get back.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Looks great Captain Indigo! The only thing I'd say is I'm concerned how much a pain in the rear end that speaking would be to read and type.

Pratchett's golems THAT SPEAK LIKE THIS might be more appropriate.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Alright, lets welcome Glyph, played by Captain Indigo, to the Dragon Slayers!

And I think I got just the thing. When Glyph joins, he already has a target in mind. It's the hidden arcane lab, headed by a blue dragon, concealed underneath a lake just east of The Fangs. This is the place where the extensive experiments and investigations were performed on the eponymous glyph. Of course, he wasn't really alive at that point, but the place he spent so much time calls to him from across the Midland Sea. It's like he left something behind...

Follow up post incoming.

Edit:

Just so I can find it later.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 24, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Paging Shark Mafia and Krysmpheonix. Still watching this space?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hello new people! If you're making a character, please note the following:

Level 4 character
Any Pelgrane stuff is A Ok, including Glorantha stuff.
Run 3rd party classes by me first.
Pick up any 2 magic items, and I'll probably hand you a third fun one at random.

Current party make up is a Chaos Mage, a Necromancer + dog shaped skeleton buddy, a fighter/paladin, and a grab happy Stalwart.
Have at it!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Least we don't have any skeleton PCs. Or TURBODRACULA.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Sockerbagarn posted:

McP, there's been some questions about how long recruitment will remain open. What's the plan?

Ah, right

Recruitment will stay open for 24 hours from this post. I'm at a summer program with tons of classes and rehearsals and spotty wifi besides, so sorry I can't really get on IRC, but I can be fairly easy to reach via the thread.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Alright! Recruitment closed, pick coming after I eat breakfast.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Alright, thanks for the great submissions. Seriously, they were all great submissions, I'd run a second party if I had the time.

But the Dragon Slayers are in high demand, and today they are joined by Temur Ardeme, the Hobgoblin Commander, played by ArkInBlack.

And your fun extra item is... A Rope of Entangling (Core book p.295)! 50 feet of fine spider silk rope, enchanted to be entangle things when directed with standard actions. Generally unhelpful in combat because it moves too slowly, but it can reach, climb, snake, coil, and entangle things so long as they're not moving around too much.

ArkInBlack, please roll Icon Dice and get your combat block ready. The post introducing you will be up shortly.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Gettin on a 10 hour plane flight, so sit tight for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.