Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Veloxyll posted:

Where is the contact command and ask for a new patrol grid? I think send status report gets them to give you a new mission.

I've tried that, no dice. Maybe that's a thing in Silent Hunter 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Veloxyll posted:

Where is the contact command and ask for a new patrol grid? I think send status report gets them to give you a new mission.

If you have completed 24 hours in the grid they will tell you to patrol at your discretion but will not give you a new grid.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

:siren:SHIP SPOTTED: BEARING 345, LONG RANGE.:siren:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
:siren: We have engaged and put 1x torpedo into a merchantman, along with many flak rounds. It is listing heavily :siren:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
First blood!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Innerguard posted:

:siren: We have engaged and put 1x torpedo into a merchantman, along with many flak rounds. It is listing heavily :siren:

And missed with 3 torps and expended over half the flak ammo :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And missed with 3 torps and expended over half the flak ammo :v:

Don't forget ramming the ship. Repeatedly. Deliberately.

Or that it was a neutral ship.

Or that, when I said we should leave before air support arrived, Herp said 'I have a deck gun'.

What I'm trying to say is that the captain is clearly completely insane. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

All that was in the radio message: Cargo Ships sunk: 1, Tonnage: 5035. What nation, Herr Donitz? We could not say. :v:

E: That entire encounter was the entire concept of this LP perfectly shown. I was about to play some DoomRL when it happened, when suddenly we found a contact and my incompetence meant we failed horribly and resorted to a "Torpedo-Ram", as I like to call it.

I hope the latter happens a lot less though.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

All that was in the radio message: Cargo Ships sunk: 1, Tonnage: 5035. What nation, Herr Donitz? We could not say. :v:

E: That entire encounter was the entire concept of this LP perfectly shown. I was about to play some DoomRL when it happened, when suddenly we found a contact and my incompetence meant we failed horribly and resorted to a "Torpedo-Ram", as I like to call it.

I hope the latter happens a lot less though.

At a bar, after the war

-We knew we could rely on the torpedoes.

-Oh, why is that?

-We were the torpedoes

*Sips his lager*

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so what I am taking away from this is that we were more successful in the test run :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Aces High posted:

so what I am taking away from this is that we were more successful in the test run :v:

Well, we should get a u-boat with a deck gun next time is all I'm saying.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Another ship, and she's a big one!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
if the op isn't going to screenshot anything, can someone else? i have poo poo to do today but would still enjoy seeing the wacky antics of Unterleftenant Villain

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

And you have one torpedo and half your flak ammo? I do not think this will go well for you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Xenocides posted:

And you have one torpedo and half your flak ammo? I do not think this will go well for you.

pfft, it'll be fine!
He just needs to get torpedo 6 out. It's worked before in your LP!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I missed. Horribly. So I decided to play some Blood Bowl instead. Ygmir is now shark-bait.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Late to the party but this is brilliant. I just finished an advanced copy of Erik Larson's Dead Wake (about the sinking of The Lusitania in 1915) so I've had a hard on for uboats. Good work her unterseebootkommandant.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So, to hopefully get this thread a bit more active while we staere at a starry night sky: anyone with experience playing one or more of the Silent Hunter games want to weigh in on what they think of them? I've looked at some reviews, but SH4 and SH5 were apparently released in buggy states, and I don't know if that ever got fixed.

Savgeir
Dec 23, 2013

Have you appeased the machine spirits today?

Aww man I can't believe I missed the first combat of the LP, and a rather intense one at that.

I do approve of the rather orky method of shoot everything and then throw yourself at the enemy. Your tech priest big mek engineer approves. :black101:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

So, to hopefully get this thread a bit more active while we staere at a starry night sky: anyone with experience playing one or more of the Silent Hunter games want to weigh in on what they think of them? I've looked at some reviews, but SH4 and SH5 were apparently released in buggy states, and I don't know if that ever got fixed.
Also, are you just completely screwed if you bought the SH 5 Steam version at a steep discount without doing the research? :downs:
The Subsim forum consensus seems to be yes. :smith:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

Also, are you just completely screwed if you bought the SH 5 Steam version at a steep discount without doing the research? :downs:
The Subsim forum consensus seems to be yes. :smith:

Wait, you can't patch/mod the Steam version?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, you can't patch/mod the Steam version?

some guy on Subsim posted:

Box, definitely. Steam does not allow you to make changes to the .exe, which makes it impossible for you to to use mods and fixes such as this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What if you copy and pasted then entire folder into a new, non-steam, directory and then tried to run it from there?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
U-13 - Type IIB

Germany's U-13 was a submarine launched between 1935 and 1936, of the Type II series of submarines. Compared to other German submarine types, the Type II's had a small complement on-board. To be fair to the Type II's, they were designed as coastal submarines rather than sea-going designs. So why is U-13 a Type IIB? Well, there were 4 variants or models of the Type II: A, B, C, and D. The B series was the most numerous of them, followed by the D, C and finally A series. In total, 50 Type II's were built with the last of these being launched in 1940.

General Information on the Type IIA

Displacement: 250t/298t1

Dimensions: 40.9m oa2 x 4.1m x 3.8m

Machinery: 2 shafts, 2 MWM diesel engines + 2 electric motors, 350bhp/180shp = 13Kts/6.9Kts

Armament: 3 - 533mm Torpedo Tubes (bow sub; 6 torpedoes), 1 - 20mm C303

Complement: 25

Class: U1 to U-6

Data: Built by Deutsche Werke, Kiel. U1, U2, and U5 were war losses; the others were surrendered in 1945.

Us!

General Information on the Type IIB

Displacement: 275t/324t1

Dimensions: 42.7m oa2 x 4.1m x 3.8m

Machinery: Same as Type IIA

Armament: Same as Type IIA

Class: U7 to U-24, U-120, U-121

Data: The main group were launched in 1935-36 by Germaniawerft and Deutsche Werke, the last pair launched in early 1940 by Flenderwerft. U18 and U24 were scuttled in 1944 but salvaged by the Russians and used postwar. U21 was scrapped in Feb 1945; U8, U14, U17, U120, and U121 were scuttled and U10 and U11 surrendered at the end of the war; the remaining boats were lost from various causes during the war.

General Information on the Type IIC

Displacement: 286t/336t1

Dimensions: 43.9m2 x 4.1m x 3.8m

Machinery: 2 shafts, 2 MWM diesels + 2 electric motors, 350bhp/205hp = 12Kts/7Kts

Class: U-56 to U-63

Data: Built by Deutsche Werke, Kiel. U56 and U63 were war casualties, U59 was surrendered in May 1945, and the remaining subs were scuttled in May 1945.

General Information on the Type IID

Displacement: 309t/358t1

Dimensions: 44m2 x 4.9m x 3.9m

Machinery: Same as Type IIC, except speed is 12.7Kts/7.4Kts

Class: U-137 to U-152

Data: Built by Deutsche Werke, Kiel. U138, U144, and U147 were lost at sea during the war. U143, U145, U149, and U150 were surrendered and the rest were scuttled by the Germans.

1:The first number is displacement while surfaced, the second is while submerged
2:Length Overall
3:2cm Flak 30 developed for the Kriegsmarine as the C/30

My book has 30 pages for the ship name index :psyduck:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I know SH4 is a fantastic game, just like its predecessor. I enjoyed my time with it very much. SH5... Let me say that I preferred Silent Hunter Online to that piece of shite, at least it worked for more than five minutes.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if the op isn't going to screenshot anything, can someone else? i have poo poo to do today but would still enjoy seeing the wacky antics of Unterleftenant Villain

There are recordings on Hitbox, I'll see if I can highlight particular points after the patrol, and in future I'll try to break the stream up whenever we find a contact.

Savgeir posted:

I do approve of the rather orky method of shoot everything and then throw yourself at the enemy. Your tech priest big mek engineer approves. :black101:

Let it be known that I did not mean to fire a total of four torpedoes on one target and have only one hit. However, I wholeheartedly intended to ram the ship and fire the flak.

Also, thanks Jobbo for the fantastic post regarding the Type IIs!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If you have Fraps you can use its screenshot feature to capture images easily. Irfanview can also do it very easily.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I've made the first video, including the first sinking.

I'm going to have to turn off the stream for a little while though, due to having friends over, but we're on the return trip so nothing will happen right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm going to have to turn off the stream for a little while though, we're on the return trip so nothing will happen right?

I look forward to doing a writeup on whatever sinks us.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

For fucks sake, I accidentally closed Silent Hunter. And didn't save. :suicide:

We'll continue in March in a Type VII. I feel stupid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

We'll continue in March February in a Type VII, and speed it up to the "current" day.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Goddamn it Jobbo, fine. We'll continue tomorrow.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
alt F4'd to the locker

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OMGVBFLOL posted:

alt F4'd to the locker

Yaaar! Davey Jones' Desktop be a terrible fate.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

February 8th, 10 AM, U-13 was reported to be lost with all hands. Their boat was scheduled to enter the Kiel Canal a full six hours prior and yet no contact was established.

However, that was not the case. Dönitz had strongly requested that elite agents should capture U-13, before the incompetent Helmut destroyed his own U-boat. Unfortunately, they were too late. All they found was his body floating in the sea, with a note that was kept miraculously dry simply saying "Mutiny".
It is believed that U-13 is still at large, and all reports of sudden attacks via flak gun and ramming are to be attributed to that rebel crew. Also they may have refuelled on whale blubber and are using crewmen with drills strapped to them (Note: Perhaps supplying that crew in particular with the prototype Drillenschutzen was a bad idea) in order to open up holes in the enemy ship for them to wedge themselves into.

:science: : Vee can rebuild him, Herr Dönitz! Vee can make him better, stronger, more able to command! Grant him vengeance, and a bigger boat!

:godwin: : Give him the Type VIIB boat U-48, and send him to the past. Son, you are no longer Helmut Villain. Your confidential data shall be changed. You are...

Note: It seems that whenever I try to add anything, such as a better hydrophone, the game breaks. I have no bloody clue how to fix it, and no idea why it's happening and the internet is no help. Maybe the problem will fix itself. Patrol has begun.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I have had a problem with the game crashing if I do an upgrade when I return to port. If I do it when I am about to head out it usually works. Not sure why and not sure if it will fix your problem but might be worth trying.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jobbo_Fett posted:

U-13 - Type IIB
Germany's U-13 was a submarine launched between 1935 and 1936, of the Type II series of submarines. Compared to other German submarine types, the Type II's had a small complement on-board. To be fair to the Type II's, they were designed as coastal submarines rather than sea-going designs. So why is U-13 a Type IIB? Well, there were 4 variants or models of the Type II: A, B, C, and D. The B series was the most numerous of them, followed by the D, C and finally A series. In total, 50 Type II's were built with the last of these being launched in 1940.

This was a really good informational post.

It also reminded me that when I was checking some things on submarines before that giant post I made earlier I came across a collection of submarine interiors that span WWII era to it looks like the late 90's. Like someone said earlier, take the "Hollywood cramped submarine interior" and make it more claustrophobic and you have an idea how little space you have to work with in these things.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It was mentioned earlier that the Steam version of SH5 isn't compatible with mods. How's SH4 in that regard? And are there any must-have mods?

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

It was mentioned earlier that the Steam version of SH5 isn't compatible with mods. How's SH4 in that regard? And are there any must-have mods?

Can confirm SH4 is 100% moddable on Steam, both base game and U-Boat expansion. If you're looking to mod it, then the base game is considered patch 1.4 and the U-Boat expansion is patch 1.5... if you see something that says 1.4 only, then you can't use it with the expansion installed, and 1.5 only means that the expansion is required. There's a handful of good overhaul mods on the subsim forums, like Trigger Maru. Most big mods make the game harder. I play stock but with the realistic sinking mechanics mod and some graphics mod.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BoxOfAids posted:

Can confirm SH4 is 100% moddable on Steam, both base game and U-Boat expansion. If you're looking to mod it, then the base game is considered patch 1.4 and the U-Boat expansion is patch 1.5... if you see something that says 1.4 only, then you can't use it with the expansion installed, and 1.5 only means that the expansion is required. There's a handful of good overhaul mods on the subsim forums, like Trigger Maru. Most big mods make the game harder. I play stock but with the realistic sinking mechanics mod and some graphics mod.

BuOOOOOOrrrd!

Does that also fix destroyers occasionally sinking for no apparent reason (I guess they holed themselves with their own depth charges or something - they usually go down tail first.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

BuOOOOOOrrrd!

Does that also fix destroyers occasionally sinking for no apparent reason (I guess they holed themselves with their own depth charges or something - they usually go down tail first.)

Don't know, haven't seen it happen recently.

Certainly doesn't stop ships from randomly sinking themselves in port, assumedly from crashing into docks / other ships.

The sinking mod is bundled into Trigger Maru and probably some of the other big mods. Stock SH4 has a "health" system... basically every torpedo has a min and max damage, and RNG determines how much "health" it takes away from the ship it hits... it doesn't at all matter where you hit, so you could kill a ship with 3 torps to the same spot (historically bad) but not kill it with 3 shots spread across it (historically good), all due to RNG. As soon as the ship loses all of its health, it's just dead, or maybe has a brief period where it sticks around then sinks. With the realistic sinking mechanics mod enabled, ships have different compartments that can flood, so hitting the same place with more torpedoes just increases the rate of flooding in that compartment, whereas hitting in different places will flood more compartments. Rather than ships dying just because an invisible health bar was depleted, you now have to put holes in different places to actually flood the ship and make it sink. It also makes the sinking time more realistic. You can hit a heavy cruiser with 3 torpedoes, watch it limp away for a couple minutes and then come to a stop, then have it slowly sink over 30-60 minutes as it floods. Definitely makes the game more interesting!

• Locked thread