Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

So wait you've been cheating on your spouse for 2 years?

Married people separate, not sure if that is the case here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Lichy posted:

marriage is great if you trust each other absolutely and realise that it's the two of you against the rest of the gay uncaring world but that's really not what most marriages are

yeah this is why marriages fail, unrealistic expectations

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

date somebody and don't live with them. Sex on the reg, they can sleep over when they want, you can sleep over there if you want, and you still get days during the week when you walk around the house naked eating cold hot dogs while watching Flapjack on your phone

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lol that someone who drinks and browses facebook while making you do chores is what some goons imagine marriage to be. Marriages involve a wife not your mom but i can see how some goons would mistake the two

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

date somebody and don't live with them. Sex on the reg, they can sleep over when they want, you can sleep over there if you want, and you still get days during the week when you walk around the house naked eating cold hot dogs while watching Flapjack on your phone

living together means a more room and you split the rent & utility costs

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Robo Reagan posted:

Lol that someone who drinks and browses facebook while making you do chores is what some goons imagine marriage to be. Marriages involve a wife not your mom but i can see how some goons would mistake the two

well....

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
ill suk ur dock

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

living together means a more room and you split the rent & utility costs

And you're stuck together for the entire duration of the 30-year mortgage.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

being married owns

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

GORDON posted:

I've gotten to experience pretty much every phase of life so I don't feel like I have missed out on anything.

Death is certain

XBox and weed every weekend

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

thats a long mortgage

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

thats a long mortgage

:911:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

EugeneJ posted:

what do you think fishing trips are for?!?!?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Lichy posted:

what do you think fishing trips are for?!?!?

remember that married with children episode

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

this is why moving in together is the bigger step, it's pretty hard to break up with someone when you realize your rent will go way up and you'll probably have to break a lease and move into a shittier apartment. also it's when you get used to each other's quirks and talk out the stuff that is actually going to be difficult. by the time you get married, all that's pretty much over and been working for awhile, so.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

basically if you're having a big wedding wedding, planning the loving thing is the final exam for your relationship to make sure you are ready for the marriage itself

chickster
Feb 21, 2008

"colon oh"

EugeneJ posted:

So wait you've been cheating on your spouse for 2 years?

You're required to be separated for a year before you can file for a divorce where I live. I left him in November of 2011 and filed the paperwork a year after that, but apparently I filed the wrong papers. We're both in relationships at the moment. Not legally nor technically cheating where I live.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lived together for ten years prior to marriage. However that doesn't solve everything, people change over long periods of time, even after marriage.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Darth123123 posted:

Lived together for ten years prior to marriage. However that doesn't solve everything, people change over long periods of time, even after marriage.

half my family is just common law seems if you find something that works you just leave it alone

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah like the big party and being able to use the terms husband or wife are nice and all but if people just live together forever, it's not like civilization is going to collapse because they didn't sign a legal paper.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you should only get married for tax reasons

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

yeah like the big party and being able to use the terms husband or wife are nice and all but if people just live together forever, it's not like civilization is going to collapse because they didn't sign a legal paper.

Life's a bit cheaper and more convenient with that legal paper.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

we lived together for about a year and a half before tying the knot and i think it was helpful; learned each other's quirks etc. before going in for the long haul. being married does feel pretty nice though, idk what it is. something about it being official.

also, taxes and spousal benefits

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
and if you're gonna have kids, getting married before the little poo poo gets born saves you a lot of hassle

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dyna Soar posted:

and if you're gonna have kids, getting married before the little poo poo gets born saves you a lot of hassle

why makes it harder to skip town

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rando posted:

Life's a bit cheaper and more convenient with that legal paper.

yeah, i guess. i haven't done my taxes since getting married or applied for a credit card or anything but so far things seem p. much the same.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
make enough money that putting money in your roth ira makes you on paper poor enough to not pay taxes

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dyna Soar posted:

you should only get married for tax reasons

Children are good for that too. But lol they cost more than the credit. Same with the wife.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, i guess. i haven't done my taxes since getting married or applied for a credit card or anything but so far things seem p. much the same.

You might like it when you get to visit her in the hospital the day they remove the feeding tube or whatever.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TOILETLORD posted:

make enough money that putting money in your roth ira makes you on paper poor enough to not pay taxes

Lol what? There's a 5500 limit on Roths

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Children are good for that too. But lol they cost more than the credit. Same with the wife.

you should get a cheaper wife

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Darth123123 posted:

Lol what? There's a 5500 limit on Roths

i'm poor

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bicyclops posted:

being with a married couple that bickers in front of company is definitely one of the most uncomfortable guest situations

The first time I ever got to experience this was like the greatest moment of my life because I felt like such a grown-up. It was like 'oh look honey, those two seemed to be okay when they came in the restaurant with us but now they're having a meltdown and there's no escape! It's romantic though because we're in this ~together~'

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rando posted:

You might like it when you get to visit her in the hospital the day they remove the feeding tube or whatever.

she's on immunosuppressants and i often worry so yeah :(

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

she's on immunosuppressants and i often worry so yeah :(

See? Marriage kicks rear end!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i can't even decide what to order from the menu. lmao if you think i'm going to be able to correctly pick the one person out of billions who i'll be capable of spending the rest of my miserable life with

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cnut the Great posted:

i can't even decide what to order from the menu. lmao if you think i'm going to be able to correctly pick the one person out of billions who i'll be capable of spending the rest of my miserable life with

who ever doesn't hate you when you talk to them is a easy way to narrow your choices

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

how picky are you?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

who ever doesn't hate you when you talk to them is a easy way to narrow your choices

but everyone hates me when i talk to them, on account of the smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cnut the Great posted:

but everyone hates me when i talk to them, on account of the smell

hit up fet life

• Locked thread