Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That confusion is 100% intentional. It pisses me off so badly to think of those smug bible poltroons with fake counseling degrees posing as services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How do they compare to a real clinic if someone goes there actually wanting to carry a baby to term?

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Guavanaut posted:

How do they compare to a real clinic if someone goes there actually wanting to carry a baby to term?

At their most audacious, these places have been known to hand out things such as sample packs of baby food or diapers.

Let's say you have to decide between two repair shops to take your car for a checkup. The first is a real repair shop, where they can do things like check your balance and alignment or change your oil; while the second is a place that just hands out bottles of wiper fluid and air fresheners. :iiaca:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So in addition to being anti-choice, they're not even much good for women who want a child. I don't see what basis they should be allowed to advertise their services as fit for purpose.

And yet protesters outside of clinics have been known to harass everyone going in, whether for an abortion or for a routine scan. What would a crisis pregnancy center say to someone who said they wanted to carry the baby to term and were keen to get ultrasound scans and nutritional advice? "Go to Planned Parenthood and get called a whore by our friends outside"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

So in addition to being anti-choice, they're not even much good for women who want a child. I don't see what basis they should be allowed to advertise their services as fit for purpose.

Because they will shoot up an abortion clinic if you don't let them.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Guavanaut posted:

So in addition to being anti-choice, they're not even much good for women who want a child.

Needlepoint this and frame it.

The thing to understand about the anti-choice movement is that one of their biggest allies is general societal ignorance as to how female reproduction works beyond just sperm + egg = baby. They've been able to simplify "abortion" into this single black box that gives voters a false impression that it's just this thing awaiting their thumbs up/down.

In reality there is no such thing as an abortion, rather an array of procedures and treatments that are selected based on the specific circumstances of the pregnancy in question. The anti-choice movement has chosen to take a one-size-fits-all approach to an issue that, whatever your feelings on topic, blatantly is not that. But watch them pound away on that square peg until it fits into that round hole.

In short, if you needed a clear example of the why politics and medical procedures don't mix, look no further.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Purvi Patel got 20 years in prison because she had a miscarriage in the state of Indiana.

This isn't even actually criminalized abortion, this is a state flat-out incarcerating women because they had a stillborn child. It boggles my mind that this has got so out of hand that even women who didn't seek an abortion are being tried as if they had and convicted with no evidence.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wade Wilson posted:

Purvi Patel got 20 years in prison because she had a miscarriage in the state of Indiana.

This isn't even actually criminalized abortion, this is a state flat-out incarcerating women because they had a stillborn child. It boggles my mind that this has got so out of hand that even women who didn't seek an abortion are being tried as if they had and convicted with no evidence.

Welcome to El Salvador.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/03/30/3639736/purvi-patel-sentencing/

quote:

And according to Braunlin, who has been in regular contact with Patel throughout the criminal proceedings, it was “frightening” to see how much of the case appeared to rest on the public’s knee-jerk reaction to Patel’s conduct immediately after her premature delivery. It disturbs a lot of people that she chose to place the fetus in a dumpster. Her nurses were surprised that she wasn’t displaying more emotion at the hospital, and wondered why she was spending so much time on her phone.

Maybe she would have been acquitted if she'd dressed her stillbirth up and made a website about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I just looked up the case of Martina Greywind.

She was a homeless Native American who was arrested while 12 weeks pregnant for endangering a minor (the fetus) because she was huffing paint. While out on bail, she got an abortion. Because she got an abortion, the charges were dropped.

Good work, defenders of the unborn!

• Locked thread