Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i apologize to my infant child every day as i sincerely believe existence is one of the cruelest things you can inflict on a person
David Benatar makes a fairly solid case that there are always harms involved in bringing a child into existence, and that those harms outweigh any benefits by means of asymmetry. (If you exist, you experience both harm and pleasure, if you don't exist, you don't experience the harm and you don't miss the pleasure.) Since the child cannot consent as to whether to exist or not, that balance of harm is taken on behalf of the child by the parent without their consent. Sure, if the parent really wants the child, they will bring the child into existence whatever, but it means that any argument that the pro-life side puts forward about the fetus not getting a choice in being aborted has a counter in the fetus not getting a choice in being born, and we can show that at least one of those does demonstrably cause asymmetric suffering.

The problem with most of the pro-life (and a sizable chunk of pro-choice) people is that they default to the optimistic position that life somehow has an intrinsic or unquestionable value, life qua life, and that the teeming billions of unborn are somehow missing out on this by their nonexistence, rather than conceding that existence causes harm, termination may cause harm, and we're simply debating which is the lesser. (And also whether you actually exist that far back. If you take persistence of memory as a starting point for the existence of a 'self', you don't really start existing until about 5 months old.)

Philosophical pessimists don't get a lot of airtime in public discourse though (Benatar is a rare exception in that he got some radio spots in South Africa about 10 years back) so the intrinsic value argument often goes unchallenged by either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
C)

I'm sure A and B also helped too. I'd phrase them as "A) a social safety net or B) family planning across all families" though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Senethro posted:

I honestly can't tell what his point is but somehow just looking at these two panels makes me feel anxious. The kind that asks "Am I dreaming or did a real person actually draw this?"
I deeply suspect that whoever made that cartoon doesn't give a poo poo about ~black babies~ as soon as they are born and start needing basic things like healthcare and education, but family planning in general helps to reduce poverty and unwanted children across communities. They're being deliberately disingenuous by implying that you're some kind of racist eugenicist if you want to grant equal reproductive rights to black women. It's a surprisingly common tactic, and it got used to try and hijack #blacklivesmatter recently.

Effectronica posted:

Lawl. You're redeeming yourself crowfeathers.
Is that a reference to something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how they can't bring themselves to make the direct comparison of "like allowing darker skinned black people to be lynched when they're in someone else's property without their permission", because that's probably something they support.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

McAlister posted:

I usually follow up with a common sense truthy question of some kind illustrating the trouble a sentient fetus could get into in the womb. What if it got bored and tugged its umbilical out of the wall? What it it started trying to see where the Fallopian tubes go? The birth canal is so tight that the neonates head is deformed severely by passage through it. If the fetus is awake why doesn't it fight back instead of letting its head get squeezed like a tube of toothpaste?

Phyzzle posted:

Although, for this question, it simply isn't strong enough. Fetuses do flail around a lot and grasp with their hands before birth. The article seems to suggest that they do this in some sort of sleep state where their motor and sensory systems aren't interacting much with the cerebrum.

The part about their heads being 'squeezed like a tube of toothpaste' does raise a valid counterargument for people that use the "what about the pain?" argument though. You never hear that being used against natural childbirth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

The bill specifically required women to 'demonstrate that their miscarriage was natural or face felony charges'
How do they even define natural for that purpose? Pomegranate and ergot of rye are natural. Gin and hot baths are natural.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Do they really think this will make women change their minds about it or is it just a delaying tactic?
It also means making two appointments, getting two blocks of time off work, traveling two times. Poor women are the ones who should get the least access to abortion, for reasons that are apparently evident if you're a huge shitheel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strong Convections posted:

There are synthetic wombs embryos/foetuses (foetii? is the root greek or latin?)
Fetus is the original Latin, so the plural would be feti originally, but fetuses tends to be used.

Foetus is a hypercorrection, from a period in the middle ages when æ and œ got simplified to e, and then at a later point expanded out again. The e in fetus was mistakenly thought to have been one of these cases.

Most modern medical texts use fetus now, although the hypercorrect spelling continues in non-scientific use in Commonwealth English.

There have been some recent research advances in artificial wombs, so I think that's the most likely part to come true. More likely than eliminating rape, incest, and poverty. :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How do they compare to a real clinic if someone goes there actually wanting to carry a baby to term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So in addition to being anti-choice, they're not even much good for women who want a child. I don't see what basis they should be allowed to advertise their services as fit for purpose.

And yet protesters outside of clinics have been known to harass everyone going in, whether for an abortion or for a routine scan. What would a crisis pregnancy center say to someone who said they wanted to carry the baby to term and were keen to get ultrasound scans and nutritional advice? "Go to Planned Parenthood and get called a whore by our friends outside"?

• Locked thread