Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flowers posted:

It's not a tragedy. I will not feel bad at all if I ever get an abortion, and my mother certainly doesn't feel any regret for the abortion she had before I was born.

Stop feeling sad for the fetuses. Feel happy that the women are able to have an abortion instead of being forced to give birth and care for a child. And stop trying to make us feel bad about it by calling it a tragedy. I don't care if that's not your intention, but that's how it works. Women keep hearing how awful abortions are, even from people that supposedly support it, and then get scared away from it when they otherwise wouldn't be. They should be giving birth because they want a child, not because people keep talking about how tragic it is for them to get an abortion.

This. Forcing a woman to have a child she doesn't want/ can't care for, even if it is by saying "You can have an abortion, but it's awful and I will look down on it" is a bad thing.

EDIT: Like seriously, does it matter a single bit if you disagree with it? Do you go around telling gay people "You can get married, but I think it's gross and icky?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

borkencode posted:

Roe v Wade turns 42 today, so that's why the march is today.

I thought pro-life people didn't agree with abortions for any reason? Why are they trying to murderpost-birth abort Roe v. Wade???

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah, interesting. So 13-15% of the population are insane.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I meant about this one single issue, please don't make me more depressed about other things, too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Well, as pointed out in the USPol thread, it's ideologically consistent, at least, to say that "murdering precious babies" is wrong in any instance, even when its host body is endangered.

I think the far more interesting stats are that solid majorities believe that abortion should be illegal in the instances of the woman's not being able to afford or not wanting a child. To me, that's way more "insane," and far more politically pernicious.

Oh yeah, the babies are sacred --- up until they are born and can't afford food. Then I will bitch at their mothers for needing welfare while constantly trying to cut the benefits, thus pushing the child further into poverty.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i mean i guess continuing the human race is a goal that is good for the human race, but probably bad for the rest of earth

abort all babies

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I feel like I should say something but I can't imagine what.

Kind of my reaction.

Nothing is sacred :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

McAlister posted:

Over 300 pregnant women ( and one man ) have already been prosecuted for miscarriage since 2004 in the American south. Google Bei Bei Shui, Rennie Gibbs, and Amanda Kimbourough for examples. Rennie got sentenced to life for the crime if becoming pregnant while addicted then mis carrying. She was 15 years old. Amanda and Bei Bei got ten years each.

The wife beater was acquitted.

excuse me while i go cry

This is awful.

EDIT: I loving love my state. Alabama, oh you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

twodot posted:

That would make sense, but their post in no way does that (and does not claim to), which is why I was confused. Let's take a look:

This is plausible, 30 people a year over like a quarter of the country. But there is zero evidence that any of these people got prosecuted for a spontaneous medical event. In particular, I'm pretty sure the man was specifically not prosecuted because of any spontaneous event, but let's dive into the examples:

"after her failed suicide attempt allegedly resulted in the death of the child she was pregnant with."

"In 2006, Mississippi teenager Rennie Gibbs gave birth to a little girl"

"Six months after Timmy Jr.’s death, the district attorney in Colbert County charged Kimbrough with chemical endangerment of a child, a Class A felony (because the infant died)"
None of the people they bothered to specifically mention suffered any sort of spontaneous medical event.

A prosecutor (apparently) correctly prosecutes someone, but a jury fails to convict is certainly not evidence that prosecutors can't be trusted.

So putting a person in prison for attempting to commit suicide is a good idea?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

twodot posted:

Killing people is illegal. It's conceivable that I might attempt to commit suicide and fail in a way that kills a person. Is that a reason to oppose laws against killing people? Assuming it is not, why does this reasoning apply to fetuses and not people?

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh man, this sucks.

• Locked thread