Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

They're alive and can dream and think. Sure, it's basic, but it's still human life. I understand if it's not enough for you and for others, but it is for me. Maybe human life has no inherent meaning or value, but honestly I don't think I want to live in a world where that's the prevailing view.

It sounds like you already know it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

way to persist in time, lardass

Hush up now. Since there's no inherent value to life, find new value in punctuation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I feel like I should say something but I can't imagine what.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

So... no response for this?

I don't understand why late-term abortion would need to be banned while we wait for reproductive health education to improve.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Drunk Orc posted:

I think of myself as pretty progressive but I don't think I should die just because my dad raped my mom, what's so weird about that?

If you had been aborted, you'd never have been alive.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Edit2

Have you seen an orphanage or foster home lately? Actually, I'm not even sure we still have orphanages any more, or if it's just foster homes. SedanChair probably knows more but I doubt that they are either numerous or particularly well funded.

Group homes are pretty much the modern equivalent of orphanages. I wish I could say that they are decent but on average, I really can't. Licensed foster homes are better but there is a real tendency among foster parents to throw up their hands and ask for a change in placement at the first sign of trouble ("trouble" being stuff that would be called "childhood and adolescence" in a birth family). Foster kids, even if they are adopted, will often spend their entire childhoods as outsiders.

I'm not saying non-existence is preferable, but all mothers have the right to decide whether to bring a child into the world or not. Giving your kid up "for adoption" is in reality giving them up to state care and is hardly a solution, because there is no guarantee anyone will provide them with unconditional love. Simply deciding not to carry a pregnancy to term is always fine and should carry no stigma.

I find the critique "but what if I had been aborted?" to be asinine. If my dad had spent another day working the Aberdeen job, some other sperm would have won the genetic lottery instead of the one that ended up being half of me. Big deal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The fact that men have no say over whether women carry a pregnancy to term and get them on the hook for child support seems reasonable, since so much of sex relies on male coercion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is there really any meaningful difference in terms of morality between examples 1 and 2? I mean obviously there's birth,

Yeah, it's birth. No, it isn't fallacious. Get out into the air? You're in the club. Not in the air? Not in the club.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But can't the exact same thing be said about any law that tries to establish a hard deadline for elective abortion that isn't birth?

Yes, which is why late-term abortion bans are unethical.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

Surely any boundary between "late-term" and "early-" or "mid-term" will be equally arbitrary.

The only ethical boundary is birth. Women and midwives used to have total power over whether a pregnancy was fit to carry to term or not, up to the moment they came out of the birthing hut or whatever. Modern medicine has done wonders for infant mortality, but has also represented a victory of male privilege over women's freedom of reproductive choice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

McAlister posted:

Go read the study. Don't act like some climate change denier refusing to look at sea level data.

The study is not relevant or necessary to holding a pro-choice position.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Let's say you meet a woman and fall in love. The two of you have an awesome relationship and you feel like you've met your soulmate. Then she feels abdominal pain and starts bleeding. Upon a visit to the doctor, it's discovered that she was actually 7 months pregnant but had one of those wacky pregnancies we discussed on the other page where they don't show until really far in for some reason - but she has now miscarried. Because abortion is illegal in the third trimester, an investigation is started to see if she killed her baby. They find that she was taking lexapro daily on the recommendation of a medical professional. Despite a doctor testifying in court that lexapro, while associated with fetal abnormalities and not recommended in pregnancy, is not known to cause miscarriage, your significant other is charged with manslaughter and thrown in jail. How do you feel about that. The state came and took your girlfriend away! Does that make you sad?

"Stuff like that happens to other people" - all opponents of any restrictions whatsoever on safe and legal abortion

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

McAlister posted:

Minimizing fetal suffering is a topic every pro-choicer I've ever met supports so this information is relevant to pro choice policy. The research is about animal welfare and how to slaughter a pregnant animal humanely. The discoveries are surprising, they challenge many basic assumptions, and they are applicable to humane abortion practices.

There are no gross pictures or pseudo-science in that link. I will tox on that.

For your convenience:

http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/animalwelfare/94.pdf

You seem interested in persuading anti-choice people, but you've now said "slaughter a pregnant animal humanely." How do you think that's going to pan out?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

I don't understand why you quoted my post with this.

Probably because it shows that we shouldn't trust prosecutors not to be assholes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

That would make sense, but their post in no way does that (and does not claim to), which is why I was confused. Let's take a look:

Yeah it's what is called "implied." You'll probably never understand it so take my word for it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

Do you understand it's possible to be opposed to something, but not be opposed to it for literally every reason? Like I think 2+2=4, but not because dogs are hairy, the fact that dogs are hairy is a bad reason to believe 2+2=4. You understand that I still believe that 2+2=4. right?

2+2=4 unless the dog was asking for it, in which case it's five.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Blue Raider posted:

i am pro life, feel free to hate me (and your parents) d&d

It's cool, some people know their desire to control women can't be defended or rationalized. Never be afraid to be yourself!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pixelated Dragon posted:

A miscarriage is a terrible and traumatic thing to go through. Why would anyone want to further victimize women who endure such a tragedy if there is little to no evidence that they induced it?

Because they hate women and want them to die.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is there an organization I can donate to that helps pay for transportation to clinics in woman-hating states?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

a crisis pregnancy center in northern Idaho

AKA the place where they try to guilt you into not having an abortion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That confusion is 100% intentional. It pisses me off so badly to think of those smug bible poltroons with fake counseling degrees posing as services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

So in addition to being anti-choice, they're not even much good for women who want a child. I don't see what basis they should be allowed to advertise their services as fit for purpose.

Because they will shoot up an abortion clinic if you don't let them.

• Locked thread