Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

duck monster posted:

Isn't Abortion constitutionally protected anyway via Roe vs Wade (or whatever its called again)?

At the federal level RvW is a decision on whether someone has a protected right to choose an abortion. It basically says you can't outright ban abortions altogether.

The strategy for decades has been to harass, legislate, and regulate every aspect of abortions until it's effectively banned, but not explicitly banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Talmonis posted:

I've been talking about 2nd & 3rd. First is just an embryo.

Time to start dropping some medical citations.

We're at the point of the abortion thread where folks start making easily verifiable medical claims, so lets not just start throwing out unsupported assertions.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Talmonis posted:

My wife is currently in the (admittedly late) second trimester. My son wakes up like clockwork after meals and kicks the poo poo out of her. I've watched a sonogram of him when he got the hiccups. I've seen him sleep, and dreamily twitch in it. So yeah, it's not the full documented and confirmed thesis you may want, but it's good enough for me to see he's alive, valuable and not just some kind of tumor with eyes and a face. So foolish I am, apparently for not writing a documented thesis about it first.

No, you're foolish because you don't know what you're talking about, have interpreted your observations in the way that serves your interest, and fully admit that you have nothing to back it up.

That's wonderful for, but your hopes and dreams aren't a good basis for legislation.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Talmonis posted:

Edit: Ah, so yes. Tumor with eyes to you lot. Got it.

Prove us wrong.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and my now birthed child is still basically a tumor with eyes that i love very much

If we're going to bug folks making emotional arguments I recommend "comatose internal parasite"

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh yeah, the babies are sacred --- up until they are born and can't afford food. Then I will bitch at their mothers for needing welfare while constantly trying to cut the benefits, thus pushing the child further into poverty.

"If you can't afford a kid maybe you shouldn't have one"

I got that one yesterday from someone on facebook who insisted her form of birth control was 100% fail safe. It was not abstinence.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
As a reminder, a third trimester abortion is almost always being done because of serious health threat to the mother, and extremely hard to have done because the lack of providers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Xibanya posted:

Not to mention early first trimester abortions don't have to be surgery at all - they have pills for that.

Yeah, 1/3 of all abortions are done via pill, not procedure.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

i am pro life, feel free to hate me (and your parents) d&d

I am so mad IRL right now.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Cannibal Holocaust Abortions.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pixelated Dragon posted:

A miscarriage is a terrible and traumatic thing to go through. Why would anyone want to further victimize women who endure such a tragedy if there is little to no evidence that they induced it? And where will it stop? Will this country start blaming women when they give birth to ill babies?

A lot of anti-abortion sentiment is about punishing women for being in control of their sexuality. It's the patriarchy.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

"Woman takes pills, has cramps and some bleeding, done"

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Do they really think this will make women change their minds about it or is it just a delaying tactic?

Women need to be sufficiently punished for having sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Guavanaut posted:

It also means making two appointments, getting two blocks of time off work, traveling two times. Poor women are the ones who should get the least access to abortion, for reasons that are apparently evident if you're a huge shitheel.

Yep, it's all about making abortions as inconvenient as possible, because while it's illegal for them to block access explicitly, they can do it with a thousand cuts.

• Locked thread