Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jst0rm posted:

I work in post audio so I'm 9000miles from the set. I see them because I see shots before vfx but for obvious reasons I cant share any of that wip stuff.

That's cool. I was curious if there was a bunch of behind the scenes pics sat on a website somewhere.

I remember there was something leading up to season 1 that showed a lot of ship building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

That's cool. I was curious if there was a bunch of behind the scenes pics sat on a website somewhere.

I remember there was something leading up to season 1 that showed a lot of ship building

Vane gives a tour of the season 2 practical sets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Nyzma9Gp0

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Bigger ships can actually be much faster than smaller ones that aren't built specially for speed. It's counterintuitive, but it has to do with length versus width giving them a more slender profile overall and with the volume of sail they can put out. Smaller ships can fly better around in poor conditions, but they will get run the gently caress down by a ship-of-the-line in other conditions. Cutters and clippers are exceptions but only by using the same principle: lots of sail, narrow designs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gamesguy posted:

The crew left on the ship are probably just sailors with little training or experience in close quarters fighting. It's also not that ahistorical, here is an instance where 100 British marines and sailors rowed up to a Spanish frigate with about 400 crew and took the ship while suffering only 11 wounded and none dead. 119 Spaniards were killed with the rest captured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_out_of_the_Hermione

I'm perfectly willing to accept as an answer that British navy (and English speaking pirates)>Spanish navy.

Loomer posted:

Bigger ships can actually be much faster than smaller ones that aren't built specially for speed. It's counterintuitive, but it has to do with length versus width giving them a more slender profile overall and with the volume of sail they can put out. Smaller ships can fly better around in poor conditions, but they will get run the gently caress down by a ship-of-the-line in other conditions. Cutters and clippers are exceptions but only by using the same principle: lots of sail, narrow designs.

I read something on a monument of some kind in Key West that pirates used to use their smaller ships with shallower drafts to hide in areas too shallow for more heavily armed ships to navigate until the navy got some smaller ships. I guess it all depends on where the blue water navy finds you.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
From the highly realistic simulator Sid Meier's Pirates ! I've learned even a single man can take over a fully manned war galleon.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

KatWithHands posted:

Man, I forgot how loving impossible it is to catch more than 40% of what Vane says the first time through. His nasal growl thing has surpassed Bale Batman in having to guess what he just said.

Jst0rm posted:

I work in post audio so I'm 9000miles from the set. I see them because I see shots before vfx but for obvious reasons I cant share any of that wip stuff.

etalian posted:

Vane gives a tour of the season 2 practical sets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Nyzma9Gp0

Do you add Vane's growl in post?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

meristem posted:

Do you add Vane's growl in post?

I work on the sound effects (cannon fire, ship creaks, water splashes, swords, gore, muskets) I have no doubt they would adr a growl if it was thought to be needed but I spend very little time with the dialog.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you get to fire real cannons for the sound?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Do you get to fire real cannons for the sound?

I bet he gets to kill real people for the gore!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that's basically what foley is.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SeaWolf posted:

I bet he gets to kill real people for the gore!

We use interns ;) and yes real cannons were fired. The sound of a cannon is more then a cannon fire though.

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008

Jst0rm posted:

I work on the sound effects (cannon fire, ship creaks, water splashes, swords, gore, muskets) I have no doubt they would adr a growl if it was thought to be needed but I spend very little time with the dialog.

Not trying to kiss rear end too much or anything, but the creaking wood and sail flapping is what really sells me. You're doing good work, and I felt you should know it is appreciated.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Man I forgot how convoluted this show can be. I have no idea what's going on with the politics aside from the gold plotline.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

nooneofconsequence posted:

Man I forgot how convoluted this show can be. I have no idea what's going on with the politics aside from the gold plotline.

You really need to rewatch season 1.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Took me a while to remember too but Flint convinced uppity lady to let him get the gold. Then Vane flopped his dick out and took over the guard stations from the island so he's kinda not really the bouncer now. That's all the big plot points that carry over.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Invalid Validation posted:

Took me a while to remember too but Flint convinced uppity lady to let him get the gold. Then Vane flopped his dick out and took over the guard stations from the island so he's kinda not really the bouncer now. That's all the big plot points that carry over.

I remember that much. But am I supposed to know what's going in the flashbacks?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I remember that much. But am I supposed to know what's going in the flashbacks?

It's Ms. Barlow and Flint's back story. We know only what other people have said, so who knows what's true or not.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They threw some names around but the only thing that matters is that Flint is in the royal navy and has been tasked with helping that one dude deal with the pirate situation. Obviously at some point something happens to make him switch, but so far we don't know anything beyond that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I hope Flint getting 'exiled' by his crew is leading to him teaming up with Jack so all the cool guys can be on one ship.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Jst0rm posted:

Haha, my question was half a joke... But yeah, like the others said, great job! If you ever do one of those 'how we do the scene' videos, I hope to be able to see it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chrtrptnt posted:

Not trying to kiss rear end too much or anything, but the creaking wood and sail flapping is what really sells me. You're doing good work, and I felt you should know it is appreciated.

Thanks man. All that work paid off last season with a emmy win. It was pretty cool to get that nod. I actually bought a old wooden boat pulley with hemp rope on it off ebay at the beginning of last season and clamped it onto some pallets and other wood things and pulled on it to create a lot of "wood stress" sounds.

meristem posted:

Haha, my question was half a joke... But yeah, like the others said, great job! If you ever do one of those 'how we do the scene' videos, I hope to be able to see it.

I will try to take a screen shot of my session so you guys can see how complex the sfx editorial is on this. You wont really be able to make anything out and I wont be able to get the total number of tracks to even be on the screen but yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always thought bring a foley artist would be one of the most fun jobs. I'm sure sometimes the hours suck and it can be frustrating, but man, getting paid to make noises would almost fulfill my lost dream of being a successful musician.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always thought bring a foley artist would be one of the most fun jobs. I'm sure sometimes the hours suck and it can be frustrating, but man, getting paid to make noises would almost fulfill my lost dream of being a successful musician.

Those guys are amazing. The best foley comes in 5 frames later then the action and needs very little editing. Its kind of crazy that the foley artist can process what they are seeing on the screen and do the exact same performance in time just with a slight delay. 5 frames is about 250ms. crazy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I didn't get to watch the new episode til today but I'm glad now cuz I have less time til the next one. This show is so badass and it has the perfect opening theme.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amazing start of the season although i don't really understand why Ned wiped out the entire crew?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mans posted:

Amazing start of the season although i don't really understand why Ned wiped out the entire crew?

Probably had something to do with the kidnapped mystery girl to be explained later.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Mans posted:

To cover up the kidnapping.
Which is also why the ship was torched to the water line.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

tastychicken posted:

To cover up the kidnapping.
Which is also why the ship was torched to the water line.

That was just how the real Ned Low rolled, he in fact showed mercy by simply shooting everyone.

quote:

He captained a number of ships, usually maintaining a small fleet of three or four. Low and his pirate crews captured at least a hundred ships during his short career, burning most of them.[1] Although he was active for only three years, Low remains notorious as one of the most vicious pirates of the age, with a reputation for violently torturing his victims before killing them.[2]

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle described Low as "savage and desperate," and a man of "amazing and grotesque brutality".[3] The New York Times called him a torturer, whose methods would have "done credit to the ingenuity of the Spanish Inquisition in its darkest days".[4] The circumstances of Low's death, which took place around 1724, have been the subject of much speculation.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I hope Flint getting 'exiled' by his crew is leading to him teaming up with Jack so all the cool guys can be on one ship.

That would be pretty cool, I really want that to happen now.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CeeJee posted:

That was just how the real Ned Low rolled, he in fact showed mercy by simply shooting everyone.

I think we are meant to believe that he was telling the truth to the captain when he said he would have spared them had the girl not been on the ship.

I love the mix of real pirates with made up pirates. I really hope we see the real Blackbeard, although the joke in the first season was fantastic.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

quote:

The circumstances of Low's death, which took place around 1724, have been the subject of much speculation.

quote:

Peter Venkman: 105 years old, he hung in there, didn't he?
Ray: He didn't die of old age, either. He was poisoned, stabbed, shot, hung, stretched, disembowled, drawn and quartered.
Peter Venkman: Ouch.
Winston: Guess he wasn't too popular at the end, huh?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think we are meant to believe that he was telling the truth to the captain when he said he would have spared them had the girl not been on the ship.

I love the mix of real pirates with made up pirates. I really hope we see the real Blackbeard, although the joke in the first season was fantastic.

I want Black Sam Bellamy damnit! They already sort of stole his famous speech in episode 1, but he's one of my favorite pirates and sounded like a pretty cool dude, you know, for a murderer/thief.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Am I the only person who doesn't have a problem following Vane's dialogue? Also Nooooo, Anne Bonney , no, she is a siren woman and will lure you to your doom. Or like a ship and y'all can pirate around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can understand Vane perfectly.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I can remember watching season 1 but barely remembered anything and felt this first episode of S2 was great, so great I'm going back and watching S1 again.

Zach McGowan has that weird Brad Pitt vibe where you really want to hate him but in every interview/extra you see him in you just can't do it.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Honestly, I'm really only here for the Intro. Best loving theme music/intro to any show in a long time.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

The intro/music of Marco Polo, a new Netflix show reminded me of Black Sails and now that I'm actually thinking of the two shows they're pretty similar, if you can handle some silly pirate poo poo in Black Sails you should be able to handle some silly kung fu poo poo in Marco Polo at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Midnight City posted:

I can remember watching season 1 but barely remembered anything and felt this first episode of S2 was great, so great I'm going back and watching S1 again.

Zach McGowan has that weird Brad Pitt vibe where you really want to hate him but in every interview/extra you see him in you just can't do it.

Have you watched Shameless?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, that's one of the extras I was thinking about when I said it, there's a behind the scenes thing with him and Joan Cusack where he can't help but act like a 12 year old kid around her that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he's basically the bad guy when he shows up but the way he plays the character you can't dislike him.

• Locked thread