Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Midnight City posted:

The intro/music of Marco Polo, a new Netflix show reminded me of Black Sails and now that I'm actually thinking of the two shows they're pretty similar, if you can handle some silly pirate poo poo in Black Sails you should be able to handle some silly kung fu poo poo in Marco Polo at least.

I got about six episodes into Marco Polo and gave up. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it wasn't compelling enough. Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan was great, but I didn't care enough about any of the other characters to keep watching. (The sets and locations were beautiful, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

If you made it six episodes in I'd probably argue you should probably finish it, the last half of the season's episodes have much grander narratives but still character driven and Wong as Kublai has some really good scenes with the non-Polo characters eventually.

I legitimately think Wong is fantastic in the role, Emmy level, but there's too much other stuff like bad child actor's and kung fu bullshit that's it's never going to get any kind of respect but at least it's netflix and they gave Hemlock loving Grove two seasons so I can't imagine they cancel MP after one.

I guess I shouldn't derail this thread with anymore talk of it though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, he's basically the bad guy when he shows up but the way he plays the character you can't dislike him.

When he spends a good couple of show minutes trying to suck his own dick, while handcuffed to a bed, he hits the top tier of characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really like John Silver.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
"You mean I'll have to fight him?"
"Well, what the gently caress did you think would happen?" I guffawed so hard at this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Flint is one hard motherfucker.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know what to comment on specifically except I really enjoy watching these characters do stuff. This show feels like a guilty pleasure but it's legitimately awesome. I want a badass spanish coat now too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The story can get a little long winded but badass pirates doing pirate poo poo makes up for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god the noises during the decapitation of the quartermaster. :barf:

On the flip side, Billy! :neckbeard:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My immersion!

First mate Forearms / Quartermaster of Biceps /Billy the Giant is pinned to the sand. Those pegs better be 5ft long.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Oh my god the noises during the decapitation of the quartermaster. :barf:

On the flip side, Billy! :neckbeard:

And Randall! :neckbeard:

Shame about O'Malley, though. He was one of those background characters I quite liked :(

And poor dairy goat.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I was a bit confused as to what happened between Eleanor and Ned. So Ned decapitates a guy and then fights her (single?)bodyguard, executes him, and walks out of there with like 3 other guys? That seems kind of odd...

It was a pretty good episode though, really enjoying this season so far.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

He came in with the guys he left with. The point seemed to be that Eleanor doesn't have very much support backing her up even in her own bar, and Ned the Nutbag can do as he pleases.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
when the hell are they gonna let that samurai pirate go mental onscreen, they've been teasing it for so long

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I can't remember from the first session but isn't this the only free port and doesn't the entire island depend on Guthrie trade to survive?

Ned is certifiably insane but I'm not sure how the other more experienced pirates in the crew think pissing off your main source of income and that of the other armed pirates in the area is a good idea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

3Romeo posted:

I got about six episodes into Marco Polo and gave up. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it wasn't compelling enough. Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan was great, but I didn't care enough about any of the other characters to keep watching. (The sets and locations were beautiful, though.)

Yeah it was probably the lack of interesting characters and also how the season never developed enough memorable arcs/plot twists to keep me involved.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

I can't remember from the first session but isn't this the only free port and doesn't the entire island depend on Guthrie trade to survive?

Ned is certifiably insane but I'm not sure how the other more experienced pirates in the crew think pissing off your main source of income and that of the other armed pirates in the area is a good idea.

They probably realised that opposing Ned would not get them ahead in life. :suicide:

Seriously though, I'm thinking the rationale is that they stick with Ned for ransoming the woman and then just join another ship when they have gotten their share.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
How come every woman on this show is a lesbian? Seems a bit unlikely.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
My penis disagrees.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm perfectly willing to accept as an answer that British navy (and English speaking pirates)>Spanish navy.

You are willing to accept that one of the leading naval powers in the beginning of the 18th century was inferior to a bunch of pirates just for the fact that they speak english.One thing is losing to the Royal Navy and another pirates.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

LordArgh posted:

Seems that everyone in Nassau just wants Max. While at the same time declaring how she's obviously using them.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

LordArgh posted:

Have you seen where the men were? (...dairy goat)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

Pirates aren't the most forward thinking individuals.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

doos posted:

Seems that everyone in Nassau just wants Max.

Which, you know, makes sense.

Except Charles.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i was really hoping mister meeks (or w/e - the decapitated dude) was going to join up with flint :(

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That Ned guy is a jerk.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
drat this show is so good right now. I want to see more of every single character. Even in Game of Thrones you have Bran that nobody cares about.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Captain Jack loving Rackham :yarr:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Calico Jack in the house :black101:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Man I think I'm just really dense, because I never picked up on Jack Rackham and Anne Bonny being lovers. I thought they just had a super-tight brodude friendship because Anne Bonny was such a hardass she had male friendships like that. I wasn't surprised when she went all lesbo on Max, and WAS surprised in the later scene that showed her in the same bed as Jack Rackham.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Unless I imagined it, she literally hosed him last season. Then he went soft, she got pissed, and left him tied to a bed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Totally called Max being (at least their equivalent of) Mary Read last season.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

3Romeo posted:

Unless I imagined it, she literally hosed him last season. Then he went soft, she got pissed, and left him tied to a bed.

Oh riiiight. I had forgotten that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

doos posted:

Seems that everyone in Nassau just wants Max.

you have seen her naked right? i mean who doesn't want her.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I'm surprised there's no gifs of Flint putting on his fancy new coat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heave to Master of Gifs, make it so!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vorgen posted:

Man I think I'm just really dense, because I never picked up on Jack Rackham and Anne Bonny being lovers. I thought they just had a super-tight brodude friendship because Anne Bonny was such a hardass she had male friendships like that. I wasn't surprised when she went all lesbo on Max, and WAS surprised in the later scene that showed her in the same bed as Jack Rackham.

Well she grabbed his dick and went "I want to gently caress." In the first episode :v:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Heave to Master of Gifs, make it so!

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
So, did Flint intentionally feed him the information knowing that he'd attack the ship? I wonder what his plan was if they actually had listened to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lamadrid posted:

You are willing to accept that one of the leading naval powers in the beginning of the 18th century was inferior to a bunch of pirates just for the fact that they speak english.One thing is losing to the Royal Navy and another pirates.

Philip II spotted ITT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6aKZf0g06Y&t=7s

Liam Emsa posted:

So, did Flint intentionally feed him the information knowing that he'd attack the ship? I wonder what his plan was if they actually had listened to him.

I think his entire plan relied on his detractors thinking he'd be up to something so when he gave them sound advise they would do the opposite to try and thwart his plans.

• Locked thread