Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PT6A posted:

CS is neither about being able to program, nor being able to design an interface, nor being able to engineer software in a decent way. Most positions will require some balance of theoretical knowledge, software engineering capability, project management capability, and interface design, along with programming skills. Maybe there will be a huge demand for people who just know programming, or just know any single one of those skills, but chances are they're going to have to be supervised by someone who has a degree of understanding of all of them, which is where CS and software engineering grads will continue to have a massive leg up on folks churned out by a programming boot camp (and, after a while, probably won't have to do much coding gruntwork at all!).

My program goes this direction, math, project management, performance, theory, all that's there.

Though on something like craigslist when I see developer positions its always for some weird framework never covered; some businesses I think are interested in very specific api's and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Though on something like craigslist when I see developer positions its always for some weird framework never covered; some businesses I think are interested in very specific api's and stuff.

Don't get a programming job from Craigslist. It probably involves violating some law without the programmer realizing it. :stonk:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Raenir Salazar posted:

My program goes this direction, math, project management, performance, theory, all that's there.

Any position that asks for experience with a specific framework as a requirement rather than a "preferred" quality is best avoided. If you're a decent developer, you can transition between frameworks in a matter of weeks pretty easily when you already know the language, and frankly learning the framework is going to be easier, or at least no more difficult (in general), than figuring your way around a new codebase no matter what language and framework it uses. Companies that won't make you want to hang yourself when you work for them know this.

Chokes McGee posted:

A CS degree doesn't guarantee you understand the intricacies of what you're doing, but it's a good start. As always, though, work experience and job performance is king.

You can say that again. I've known plenty of CS grads who were poo poo at programming, many who were poo poo at software engineering, along with all manner of other defects. It's just a much better starting point, depending again on the program in question, than some dude who went to a programming boot camp. The CS grad may be awful at many development tasks, but the bootcamp grad almost certainly will be, and they're probably going to be a lot worse at writing any kind of moderately complex code, because their math skills and problem solving skills (in the absence of other qualifications) are going to be weak.

Now, if you have someone with a relevant degree or experience already and they went through a bootcamp, that's an entirely different matter.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

Don't get a programming job from Craigslist. It probably involves violating some law without the programmer realizing it. :stonk:

Go on, I'm curious.

• Locked thread