Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Agnostalgia posted:

listen its all relative

Even in the region, Saudi Arabia is a hell hole. In fact, I can't think of a nation on earth that is more repressive than them except for North Korea... and North Korea does let their women do things like drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Shadoer posted:

Even in the region, Saudi Arabia is a hell hole. In fact, I can't think of a nation on earth that is more repressive than them except for North Korea... and North Korea does let their women do things like drive.

Do they?
I thought they were just allowed to do traffic control.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Mr. Popo posted:

Do they?

You're right, just looked it up. They are banned from driving and can just do traffic control.

Huh, actually I kind of now really wonder which country is more oppressive. Like is Saudi Arabia as bad as North Korea, except it has money?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr. Popo posted:

Do they?

North Korean women like North Korean men are allowed five minutes a day to sit in a communal car and make engine noises for the glory of their glorious leader.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i kind of agree with the ban on women drivers tbh

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

i kind of agree with the ban on women drivers tbh

Fresh take on women drivers

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pon de Bundy posted:

we dont fear the sultans or the criminals

i dont have a gif of a saudi arabian flag being stepped on because nobody would ever step on a saudi flag

what is this poo poo?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thank goodness its the Abdullah The Butcher

Shions of Qud

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that was supposed to say not him oh nooooooo what have I done

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

redshirt posted:

What?! There's two of them?

Yes, but which one was destroyed? The master or the apprentice?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shadoer posted:

You're right, just looked it up. They are banned from driving and can just do traffic control.
A NK rumor is born

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

A NK rumor is born
it actually appears to be true though, or at least it's a very old rumour that people believe

they can't even ride bicycles lmoa

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol NK women have been riding bicycles for years, and for just as long the rumor has been going around that the government has "started allowing" them

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
the fact is none of us know. the south koreans who report on these things (who knows how credible they are) are saying it's currently banned

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I'm pretty sure all forty of the north koreans rich enough to afford bicycles just buy off the cops if their wives get caught joyriding so who cares

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
tbh King Abdullah (RIP) looks like an Arabian super hero.

Like "The Islamic Falcon".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

tbh King Abdullah (RIP) looks like an Arabian super hero.

Like "The Islamic Falcon".

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shadoer posted:

Huh, actually I kind of now really wonder which country is more oppressive. Like is Saudi Arabia as bad as North Korea, except it has money oil?

the nk elite actually have money. they ship all of their children to private schools in france and switzerland, for example

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.

Very pretty boys. How much?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shadoer posted:

Huh, actually I kind of now really wonder which country is more oppressive. Like is Saudi Arabia as bad as North Korea, except it has money?
There's like a dozen or so countries that are the worst-of-the-worst. Eritrea and Equatorial Guinea, maybe.

Saudi Arabia has the Wahabbi fundamentalism going for it. But Eritrea and Equatorial Guinea (especially Equatorial Guinea) have massive police repression and some really catastrophic poverty.

I'd put NK and Equatorial Guinea vying for the top spot. Oh and the latter is a U.S. ally because it's got oil. At least to the Saudis credit they distribute the oil wealth a *little* bit more widely than Obiang does.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 24, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Another amazing thing about Equatorial Guinea is that the regime (Obiang and his family) is really pushing soccer as a kind of bread and circuses distraction from all of this:

quote:

The United Nations say that less than half the population has access to clean drinking water and ten percent of children die before the age of five. Then there's the corruption. Transparency International ranks it in the top ten percent of most corrupt countries in the world, at 163 out of 177. President Teodoro Obiang, who came into power following a military coup back in 1979, has frequently been criticised of creating one of the most unequal living standards in the world. The oil-rich country funds a luxury lifestyle for an elite few while the rest of the country lives in poverty, with 77 percent of the population living off just two dollars a day.

Obiang also refuses to divulge exactly where the oil riches of the country are going. His youngest son, Gabriel, runs the Oil Ministry and the first lady's brother is the head of the state oil company.

Last month, one of Obiang's other sons, Teodorín, who serves as the country's second vice president, had to sell assets worth $30 million - including a mansion in Malibu and Michael Jackson memorabilia. These assets were sold to settle a corruption charge by US prosecutors after he "raked in millions in bribes and kickbacks and embarked on a spending spree in the US".

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2014-11-17-bread-and-circuses-the-disgrace-of-moving-afcon-to-equatorial-guinea/
There are giant soccer ball monuments in the capital. The country is really a black hole of information except for oil & gas news and soccer. Very Orwellian.

Also they speak Spanish there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW9QesXPmDs

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jah bless this rich man

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

toggle posted:

jah bless this rich man

Like "Richie Rich" rich.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh God I'm in an Equatorial Guinea hole.

Here's a youtube channel that seems to be run by some unnammed PR firm pimping for Obiang. It's like North Korean propaganda but with less music, and with anonymous Americans doing the narration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xugSUsBrMQ

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Mr. Popo posted:

Which King Abdullah?
Saudi or Jordanian?

If I had five bucks to spend on your avatar you'd be edited Mr. Popo.

Which is somehow more racist than the old one. Hilarious!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

I'm Crap posted:

the fact is none of us know. the south koreans who report on these things (who knows how credible they are) are saying it's currently banned
we do know, the reason these reports keep showing up about the government "allowing" is because foreigners see women riding and they try to fit that together with the narrative that it's banned

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Oh God I'm in an Equatorial Guinea hole.

Here's a youtube channel that seems to be run by some unnammed PR firm pimping for Obiang. It's like North Korean propaganda but with less music, and with anonymous Americans doing the narration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xugSUsBrMQ

Wow that place is a poo poo hole.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sekenr posted:

In fact it's quite the opposite. The reason Saudi Arabia is such a major price regulator is because nobody ever wants to decrease oil production unless they absolutely must. Aside from many "minor" reasons the main being that decreasing production permanently craps the oilfield. Some percentage of oil becomes unminable and lost forever. As it happens Saudi Arabia owns most of the fields that can up and lower the yield with no harm, thus their unique position to dictate prices to significant degree.

The Saudis are one the most efficent oil producers so they can produce oil at $20 a barrel & still make money. Plus they have a metric gently caress-ton of cash sitting there for things like this. They can hold out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIV5ILvEJI

Luxury condos! (Notice no one is in them.)

There's a quick shot of a lobby with a portrait of Obiang looming down on it. It's like half a second.

Obiang has been in power since 1979. He killed the last dictator because him and other members of the president's inner circle "feared the president had gone insane."

quote:

During Christmas 1975 (Macias) ordered about 150 of his opponents killed. Soldiers dressed up in Santa Claus costumes murdered them by shooting at the football stadium in Malabo, while amplifiers were playing Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg

It was once known as the "Dachau of Africa" holy poo poo. :stare:

"In 1978, he changed the national motto to 'There is no other God than Marcias Nguema'"

--

Obiang is not much better:

quote:

In July 2003, state-operated radio declared Obiang "the country's god" and had "all power over men and things." It added that the president was "in permanent contact with the Almighty" and "can decide to kill without anyone calling him to account and without going to hell." He personally made similar comments in 1993. Macías had also proclaimed himself a god.

many people wear clothes with his face printed on them.

Nguema's opponents have accused him of cannibalism; specifically, of consuming parts of his enemies in order to "gain power".

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 24, 2015

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
So, uh. It's still a good thing to remain away from those regions, then?

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 24, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wipfmetz posted:

So, uh. It's still a good thing to remain away from those regions, then?

Pretty much best to never leave north america. Anywhere else and you encounter something negative, even in "progressive" countries.

The UK? Chavs.
Australia? Bite-y, sting-y things.
Asia? Asians.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
silly Saudi women, actually thinking they're better off because of this guy :rolleyes: good thing we foreigners know the truth

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
Every time I read "The House of Saud" I hear it in my head like "THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD"

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Saudis loving love falconry.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
you can tell a lot about a man by the quality of his kestrel

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Where are the women?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

[Where are the women?

Don't you know anything about sex silly? If a man is next to a woman for several seconds, he has to have sex with her.

It's pretty much the law of nature.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That doesn't look very baller at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

HMS Interwebs posted:

Every time I read "The House of Saud" I hear it in my head like "THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD"

DEATH TO THE HOUSE OF SAUD

• Locked thread