Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to make a shitload of money making a device that un-curves these stupid TVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

special concave glasses

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's because the curved screen is cheaper and easier to manufacture than flat at that size

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Prodigal T-REX posted:

It's because the curved screen is cheaper and easier to manufacture than flat at that size

Not according to Consumer Reports:

Consumer Reports posted:

For one, curved screens are more expensive to produce, so you'll pay a decent amount more than you would for a comparably sized flat-screen sibling. And with the LCD-based UHD and 1080p TVs, which use LED backlights, the curved shape actually makes it harder to spread light evenly across the panel, which could affect brightness uniformity. And for those viewing the TV at an angle, the curved screen can introduce some subtle geometric distortion of the image, which can result in eye fatigue as your brain tries to compensate for the effect.

After spending time with a few of these TVs, our take is that curved screens are more an aesthetic statement than a real improvement in the TV-watching experience.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
they are curved because someone screwed up at the factory lmao

EDIT: they probably killed themselves out of shame and poor working conditions :(

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I read the next thing is going to be spherical orb TVs so you can see screen and still have people in your periphery.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't understand the logic behind curved TVs, like curving the screen is the poo poo cheap ghetto movie theaters (looking at you Carmike) do to make small-rear end theaters accommodate BIG CINEMATIC SCREENS.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Zogo posted:

I read the next thing is going to be spherical orb TVs so you can see screen and still have people in your periphery.
im waiting for a TV on my watch so i cant watch TV at work

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't understand the logic behind curved TVs, like curving the screen is the poo poo cheap ghetto movie theaters (looking at you Carmike) do to make small-rear end theaters accommodate BIG CINEMATIC SCREENS.

they literally just ran out of things to do with TVs to make them "better" so they resorted to this clown poo poo and hoped no one would call their bluff

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
personally I think they look pretty cool, but my roommate has one and it doesn't seem to do anything at all for the viewing experience.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Tyme posted:

4K is the next big thing in TV. You can buy a 4K TV now.

However:

-There is no physical medium (Blu Ray/DVD/etc.) that has been created yet to fit the giant-resolution 4K video files

-No TV channels are currently streaming in 4K

-Netflix and DirecTV have a very limited amount of 4K movies on-demand

-Streaming 4K titles on Netflix requires a 25mbs data connection

So expect 10 years worth of lovely gimmick TV's before technology catches up with 4K.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

However:

-There is no physical medium (Blu Ray/DVD/etc.) that has been created yet to fit the giant-resolution 4K video files

So expect 10 years worth of lovely gimmick TV's before technology catches up with 4K.

you realize these are almost the exact same complaints that people used when analog switched to digital signals and 1080P HD was introduced?

5 years ago my TV production teacher was talking about how 4K was the highest resolution for films and here we are about to have it in our homes.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I would have probably gotten LG's 65 4K OLED (~$8,000 - $9,000) if it wasn't loving CURVED.

They are releasing a flat 65 4K OLED this year so I very well might get one.

Hopefully their sales will show more flat than curved sales so they will start to discontinue the curved bullshit.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

right now no one is upgrading computers and 4K is massive, sorry its going to be a while IMO, and its because people all have 1080p and poo poo computers and wont upgrade because at this point its such diminishing returns

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

a bone to pick posted:

you realize these are almost the exact same complaints that people used when analog switched to digital signals and 1080P HD was introduced?

5 years ago my TV production teacher was talking about how 4K was the highest resolution for films and here we are about to have it in our homes.

isn't the highest resolution for films film

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
film...flim...limf...fmil...milf

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i cant even begin to wrap my head around that price??

in like 2006, Panasonic had a 103" plasma that was about $15,000

Thats a Jeffrey Epstein TV.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Let me be the first to say I'd rather have a 12mbps 720p file than a 12mbps 4k file. This race to the top on resolution is loving garbage if the bitrate can't support it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

EugeneJ posted:

However:

The biggest complaint is:

- No DisplayPort so they can't be used as large monitors for PC gaming

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
can we all at least agree that the war for frame rate in films is worse than the war for resolution? like, make the loving resolution as high as you want I don't give a gently caress, but don't give me some bullshit 48fps it looks like loving garbage.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

a bone to pick posted:

can we all at least agree that the war for frame rate in films is worse than the war for resolution? like, make the loving resolution as high as you want I don't give a gently caress, but don't give me some bullshit 48fps it looks like loving garbage.

You are wrong and everything will be 60p+ in the future because we aren't neanderthals. The problem is conditioning. You expect theatrical releases to be 24p, so the look weird when they aren't. But you've never heard someone complain about Planet Earth or a sports broadcast being in 60i/p because that's what we are conditioned to accept. It is so goddamn superior it hurts my brain.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

BossRighteous posted:

You are wrong and everything will be 60p+ in the future because we aren't neanderthals. The problem is conditioning. You expect theatrical releases to be 24p, so the look weird when they aren't. But you've never heard someone complain about Planet Earth or a sports broadcast being in 60i/p because that's what we are conditioned to accept. It is so goddamn superior it hurts my brain.
it took me a bit to get used to but i watched some euro broadcasts of the tour the france in high frame rate and it was rad. you can see the wind in the jersey and the pedal stroke is that much clearer, the little side to side bobs of the head while they climb, its all there like it should be.

it looks like crap in the theater

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BossRighteous posted:

oh yeah well red letter media disagrees with you so nyah :colbert:

synftw
Jun 14, 2007
Chaos-Gnostic Satanist
OLED will be the next thing thats worth it. plasmas are too expensive to make and are a shipping hazard, and LEDs are fun if you like washed out dark colors

i just bought a 60" plasma for $500 last week and it's far superior to LEDs in pretty much every way except energy savings (lol) and longevity (also overvalued for consumer electronics)

i like the idea of manufacturers tooling to 4K ahead of when media is available since that should make prices better when the content mediums become attractive. but if they're anything but OLED then you're sacrificing quality for density which is the same as caring about megapixels on a poo poo camera.

synftw fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 23, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

gently caress you, I can't wait for 60fps or more to become the norm. 24fps was chosen because it was the lowest framerate that could create the illusion of movement, saving cost on film length. Higher framerates can pull off fast action sequences and better pans in a way that 24fps can't. Film makers just need to figure out how to really take advantage of it, and not have to compromise on a mixed framerate release like the hobbit.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im the gayest oval office

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

synftw posted:

i just bought a 60" plasma for $500 last week and it's far superior to LEDs in pretty much every way except energy savings (lol) and longevity (also overvalued for consumer electronics)

Why are you making excuses for your lovely TV

It's 2015 - get a flat screen LED, jfc

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

EightBit posted:

gently caress you, I can't wait for 60fps or more to become the norm. 24fps was chosen because it was the lowest framerate that could create the illusion of movement, saving cost on film length. Higher framerates can pull off fast action sequences and better pans in a way that 24fps can't. Film makers just need to figure out how to really take advantage of it, and not have to compromise on a mixed framerate release like the hobbit.
i agree that a lot of film technique has been made to fit 24 fps

i dojnt think this is all wrong though because in low light the human eye cant see poo poo

its the brightly lit scenes that look natural in high FPS and the low light conditions that throw our brain for a twist because in the dark we are used to not seeing anything except a motion blur

just some of my thoughts, and for the record i did not like how the hobbit looked in high fps

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

So instead of the 50 inch 4k I should go for the 78.5 inch regular?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

EugeneJ posted:

Why are you making excuses for your lovely TV

It's 2015 - get a flat screen LED, jfc

How about you get a clue???????????????????????????????????????? How about that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Also, if your tv doesn't basically comply with the sRGB color space, it's automatically poo poo and will look funny. loving with the gamma ramp to make your poo poo screen look brighter just makes it look like dog poo poo overall. A wider gamut color standard would be nice, but sRGB is pretty entrenched.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

yeah but it makes modern cgi and special effects look like loving garbage. seeing as how cgi is being used exponentially more every year I don't think it's going to be adopted any time soon.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Its like i really am in the anime

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

EightBit posted:

yeah nevermind that 60fps looks like garbage, i gotta see my action films blow up better or whatever because i'm an adult

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I'm sorry that a lifetime of terrible televisions and low framerate movies has ruined your eyes, don't poo poo on improving tech just because it looks different.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

personally I think they look pretty cool, but my roommate has one and it doesn't seem to do anything at all for the viewing experience.

yeah same. i said so earlier in the thread that the curved tv my parents got looks pretty spiffy. think it was a samsung? anyway yeah while they look aesthetically kinda neat they seem to add nothing, while likely detracting from the sacred Television Viewing Experience.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I'll hold out for holographic tvs thanks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Damo posted:

yeah same. i said so earlier in the thread that the curved tv my parents got looks pretty spiffy. think it was a samsung? anyway yeah while they look aesthetically kinda neat they seem to add nothing, while likely detracting from the sacred Television Viewing Experience.
could you imagine watching a football game and the loving endzone was curved?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
people buying 'tvs' in tyool 2015 lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

numberoneposter posted:

it took me a bit to get used to but i watched some euro broadcasts of the tour the france in high frame rate and it was rad. you can see the wind in the jersey and the pedal stroke is that much clearer, the little side to side bobs of the head while they climb, its all there like it should be.

it looks like crap in the theater

sports in 60fps is a no brainer, i think even the most die hard hfr haters would admit it looks and works great. it's just film that has people hung up, most because of a lifetime of watching tv be higher framerate than film that hfr makes people think film looks like poo poo tv when it's at 48+fps. However some people like you just plain dont like it divorced from the fact that they just arent used to or conditioned to it, and I respect that.

While I really like HFR film so far, I don't know if I think all films should be hfr either, it seems to benefit action or movement heavy movies more than like a low-key period drama (god drat panning in HFR looks so loving smooth and solid I never want to see another action scene in blurry rear end lovely 24fps ever again). The problem is HFR will only truly succeed if all films do it, since it's too jarring to see one film in HFR one day, than a 24fps film the next. For people to get used to HFR, everything needs to be HFR, and I'm not sure that's not really appropriate, as much as I love it. it's a tricky sitch and as a result of it, I dont see there being many HFR films in the near future besides some specific "event" films that were directed with it in mind (like the next 15 avatar movies or whatever).

synftw posted:

For sure I think plasma is a great option still unless you got money to blow and the desire for an expensive OLED or whatever. it just looks drat good and the tech is drat cheap compared to everything out there atm. i love my panasonic st60 or whatever the gently caress it's called. got it a couple years ago and it looks better than most tvs I see around.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread