Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Why yes as a matter of fact I am interested and may possibly have a certain someone Rise From His Grave. Or I might do something out of nowhere. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Relevant post for magical girl appers.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
EDIT: nvm

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 26, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I guess I'm done with my app. I can figure out the Omega if I get in. Have a deleted scene from the chargen process:

The Something Terrible Forums > Discussion > You Look Like rear end > Waking Up at Six to Punch Trees: The Kung Fu Megathread

Daruma-chi posted:

loving hell, what is up with this town? I apparently can't even do morning qigong in the park without a patrol turning up to give me poo poo for it. I'm lucky I train by myself, I hear the party's been coming down pretty hard on the schools. A taikyokuken school two blocks away from where I live got shut down for "promoting violence".

So yeah, whoever asked for kung fu schools in Odrau, good luck with that. A lot of them are super spooked and don't want to take any new students. If you want, I can recommend some teachers who might be willing to do private lessons, send me a PM.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 24, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Marie Bouthillier

mercfinder.net/mbouthillier posted:

-Name: Marie B.
-Specialty: Infiltration/Melee Combat
-Rates: To Be Decided
-Current Location: Republic of Odrau

Maybe there's someone you want to put the fear of god into. Maybe you want to know that the scariest hunter in the room is working for you. Maybe you just want someone stabbed. If any of these sound like you, I'm your girl. Rates are negotiable, but lower if it comes with a hot meal. Contact information found below.

Note: Yes, I am a ghoul. Yes, we are an officially recognized non-human race. Yes, I am carnivorous. No, we don't all have dog faces. Stop asking.

Excerpts From "On Ghouls; A Treatise Of A Hidden People", by Francis Wainwright posted:

Even though they fed well during the chaos following the disintegration of the Xanthic Storm, the rise of the NEG nearly spelled the end of the ghoulish people. Previously stable food sources were shut down as the NEG brought order back to the warzones. The priests of Mordiggian could no risk venturing out into the daylight as anti-cult sentiment reached a new high. They could not hide any deeper in the Dreamlands without being cut off from what food sources they still had. For the high priests, the choice was clear. It was time for the ghouls to reveal themselves to the world.

Not every community followed the high priests' lead, however. Several communities, especially ones which maintained a steady food supply, chose to instead go fully isolationist. This strategy worked for the past centuries, so why not continue with it? Most of these splinter groups were either wiped out in the initial NEG cult purges or willingly revealed themselves once ghouls received official recognition. However, there are several that survived to this day. I will go into further detail on these groups in Chapter 6.
---
The most unlikely of these holdouts is the Bouthillier Barrows. Originally formed in the 1200s in what was then rural France, Paris' metropolitan zone has long since grown over and around the entrances to their tunnels. Normally this would have been a death sentence for a group of this size. Someone would be caught, the local populace would grow panicked by the predators in their midst, a mob would begin to hunt them down and the community would be forced to disperse. However, the Bouthilliers managed to remain a secret until 2114 when a planned extension to the Paris Metro went straight through their main tunnel complex. There are many theories for how they accomplished this, which I will go into shortly.

White Rapids Security; Applicant Records of M. Bouthillier; Interview Transcript 2/2, 3/14/2132 posted:

SJ: Alright. This is a direct continuation of the previous interview, the recording of which was cut short due to technical difficulties. Miss Bouthillier, if you could reintroduce yourself?

MB: Oh, uh, this Marie Bouthillier, and I am applying for the bodyguarding position at the Antipolo branch of White Rapids Security.

SJ: Alright. Now, one last question and you can be on your way. Why did you enter the mercenary industry?

MB: Well, uh, I guess I got into this job because of my mother. Not as a family business thing, I mean, it's just... My mother's stuck in the past. Everyone was, really. Everyone said that the humans were all just waiting to kill us and Mother kept telling me that either I live in the tunnels with them or I'd get hunted down like a monster on the surface and I got so sick of it that I just left all of it. I just grabbed all my stuff and I left. That was two years ago, actually. Doesn't seem like that long.

SJ: I don't see how this is-

MB: I'm getting to it, alright? So, now I'm trying to make a living in the city. Couldn't get into any schools because I was still a minor and I sure as hell wasn't going to call Mother about it. Couldn't get a job because people don't just 'hire' ghouls. Couldn't get enough meat on minimum wage anyway. So I just started doing crimes. Mugged some people, broke into some butchers' shops, nothing too big. I was good at it, too. Got into some fights, I was good at those too. The police started getting a bit too close to arresting me, so I left. Again. Just got on the next train out of NERU and hoped for the best. Anyway, I ended up in Medina with no work and one of those merc recruiters were hiring and I thought hey, I'm only really good at sneaking around and stabbing people anyway, I'll give it a shot. Got hired, got fired, went freelance, here we are.

MB: I said too much, didn't I?

SJ: Well, Miss Bouthillier, we will review your application and get back to you as soon as we can. That is all.

SJ: You can go now.

Alpha: Ghoul-For-Hire
Action: Ambush Predator
Ghoul: Hungry Little Bastard
Intrigue: Underworlds Are All I Know
Omega: Definitely Not A Monster

pre:
		Action (+3)		Ghoul (+2)		Intrigue (+1)
Superb (+5) 	Athletics, Notice

Great (+4) 	Combat, Physique,     
                 Provoke

Good (+3)	Vehicles                 Stealth

Fair (+2)				

Average (+1)							Burglary, Contacts, Deceive
Weird Mode (Ghoul): Athletics(2), Combat(2), Notice(1), Physique(1), Stealth(2)
Improvements: Focus Provoke, -1pt
3pts left

Stunts
Model Predator: Absolutely scarier than a human (Provoke), but weak to actually being treated with love or affection. Additionally, place a situation aspect with one free invoke instead of a boost when you succeed with style on an attack using Provoke. (Two stunt benefits)
Carving Knife, Well-Used: +1 to Combat to attack something that’s fleshy and essentially unarmored, Weapon: 2.
In The Vents: When you’re in a situation where you’re able to slip away unnoticed, you have the option to temporarily drop out of the game altogether. If you do, spend a fate point to reappear in a dark corner that someone probably should be looking at, but isn't.
Just Shooting Rats: +1 to defend or overcome an obstacle with Deceive by telling someone that no, seriously, everything’s alright, there’s nothing to worry about.
__

Stress
Physical: [][][][]
Mental: [][][]

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 29, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna app a second character! Why? Because I can.

Radha Jasani

Born in Bangalore, Flight Lieutenant (Ret) Radha Jasani is an expert pilot, a certified power suit operator, and a former member of the Indian Air Force's renowned Garud Commando Force. Unfortunately when your unit is wiped out and you're forced to kill your commanding officer after they've been subverted by a malign extradimensional entity your prospects for advancement tend to stall. Publically Radha was a war hero, the sole survivor of a disastrous covert operation into Xanthic-ravaged China. Behind closed doors the story was a different matter. With her entire unit dead and their combat data recordings mysteriously corrupted, there was no one to corroborate her account of the events that led to her being forced to kill Squadron Leader Vishwanath Singh. Psychological and thaumaturgical evaluations could find no conclusive evidence of mental trauma or magical influence, but it was nonetheless strongly suggested that she consider early retirement.

With a promising military career cut short, Radha drifted aimlessly for a while before settling on Odrau, which seemed as good a place as any to lose herself and escape the journalists eager to interview the "Survivor of Kunming" These days she operates out of a small garage and repair shop where she handles everything from broken appliances to vehicle repairs, but she's far more in demand for her skills behind a wheel or a yoke. The coup made smuggling and courier work across the islands a risky but lucritive business, but it's more the excitement and chance to keep her skills sharp that motivates her than the money (admittedly the money doesn't hurt), and while she doesn't view herself as a romantic outlaw she has little love for the oppressive Red Moon Party and its crackdowns.

Radha also happens to be a latent para-psychic (classification extra-sensory perception, subtype undetermined). Gifted with an uncanny sixth sense ever since she was a child, though not powerful enough to require registration or merit specialized training, the occasional precognitive warning or sudden flash of insight are as useful in her new line of work as they were when she was still a member of the Garud Commandos.

Concept: A No-poo poo Driver
Commando: Offense Is the Best Form of Defense
Courier: Be Professional, Be Precise, Always Ask For Half Up Front
Mechanic: Better a Good Solution Now Than a Perfect One Later
Omega: Sixth Sense

Modes:
Commando: Athletics, Combat, Jury-Rig, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles, Will (11 points)
Courier: Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Rapport, Stealth, Vehicles (9 points)
Mechanic: Burglary, Jury-Rig, Systems, Vehicles (5 points)
Weird Skill (Jury-Rig): Three applications, (Overcome) Overcome obstacles by monkey-wrenching with machinery and electronics, (Create Advantage) Create advantages through the application of constructive or deconstructive engineering, (Create Advantage), Create advantages by cobbling together improvised equipment out of spare parts and chewing gum. Costs 1 point.

Skills
Vehicles +5
Athletics, Jury-Rig, Notice, Will +4
Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Physique, Provoke +3
Burglary, Rapport, Stealth +2
Systems +1

Stunts:

Drive It Like You Stole It (3 Stunts): You can use Vehicles to attack in a physical conflict whenever you're behind the wheel, stick, or control interface, whether your ride has weapons or not. In a physical conflict where you're piloting a vehicle, before rolling dice you can remove a boost from play. +1 to create advantages and overcome with Vehicles when driving aggressively.

Grand Theft Odrau: Whenever you need a vehicle as soon as possible you have the option to remove yourself from play altogether. If you do, spend a fate point to reappear later in the scene behind the wheel of a vehicle appropriate to your surroundings (i.e. on a military base you could procure military vehicles but in the middle of a metroplex sprawl or the jungle your options may be more limited).

Personal Hardware - Agneyastra Combat Shotgun: +1 to attacking with Combat in close-range engagements, Weapon: 2

Flash of Insight (2 Stunts): Whenever you meet someone for the first time you automatically learn one of their hidden aspects, if any. If they possess any supernatural or magically related aspects then those take priority. You can use Will instead of Empathy to perceive changes in someone's attitude and intent (overcome) whenever you're within close range of them.

Stress:
Physical: OOOO
Mental: OOO

(7 Stunts total, +2 FP for the GM)

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 26, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm gonna app a second character! Why? Because I can.

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for 'em.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well nothing says I can't. Also I was originally planning to app a driver, then I didn't, then I wound up putting one together anyway, so Trix can decide which one they like best (if any).

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Don't make it a habit, though! Lots of really good apps as it is, I'm not even sure how to start narrowing them down. D:

Just a quick note for:

grassy gnoll posted:

"Mai Yamane"

I really like how this app reads, but the background seems a bit vague. Can you help me get a better idea on what she is/what she can do?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

TurninTrix posted:

I really like how this app reads, but the background seems a bit vague. Can you help me get a better idea on what she is/what she can do?

Sure. Spoilers for people who care about secretssssss.

Mai is one of the "sisters," in as much as that applies to clones, of my Trigger Warning character, Sharon. While Sharon is a success - an artificial pop star in every sense of the word - Mai is a failure. She was a talented enough performer, but instead of embracing the weird-rear end conditioning this science lab put out, she rebelled, jumped ship when she could, and may or may not have killed someone to get away.

Nowadays, she's trying to scrape together a living as a normal person instead of having everything provided for her, and occasionally gets hunted by her creators, who want their investment back in one piece. She gets by working for this mercenary outfit, where she does the books, balances the spreadsheets and answers the phones.

She also uses her empathic training and audio rig implants to alternately charm or scare the hell out of people; ferinstance, her megastunt is something like putting out a subsonic noise that reflexively makes people panic. Which is great when you're trying to get money out of a client that's welching, less so against a brainwashed cultist or a Yith that literally doesn't understand fear.

Lemme know if you want anything else clarified.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for 'em.

IME it leads to other people deciding to app second characters too and making life hard for the GM.

I'm not the GM so I approve.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I realized the Yith are basically the toilet plunger aliens from Slaughter House Five and I enjoy that too much to sully it with a second entry. Though missed opportunity, I didn't know I could be a magical girl instead of a girl with magic.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 27, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Gonna try and get a thing while the getting's good, since I haven't gotten in a Nyarly game. Just need to figure out what the hell I'm doing, or find a way to pretend that I do.

quote:

The Something Terrible Forums > Discussion > Robes And Wizard Hats > Majokko Watching: Scouting Sailors is a Hobby

Adorable Ignition posted:

I got a pick of this majokko when i was in Odrau, anybody know who she is? I'm guessing she's the real thing given the fact that locals gave her a a lot of space but I can't find her on the wiki.

Aim For the Wizard posted:

I edited the post to remove the photo. Don't post any pictures around here, she was banned a long time ago. Bringing her up is literally illegal, and though I could give a poo poo, you'll get in trouble with you-know-who. Don't do it.

Shouldn't that be in the OP? gently caress, how was I supposed to know? :confused:

No, it shouldn't. It's :ssh: crap, you're really safer not posting any photos from Odrau unless you know they won't get the ooey all up in your business.

nux vomita posted:

nuclear option was a psychopath that taught us three things:
  1. dont ever ever sign up for completely untested occult treatments
  2. dont have transparency on your sleeves, it just looks lovely
  3. DONT BE A PSYCHOPATH

I'll have to talk to her the next time I'm in Odrau to see what you retards are on about, you know JSDF girls end up murdering people as early as age 13, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nux vomita posted:

do you like committing suicide because i think she can help you then

If people stop bringing up Nuclear Option, I suddenly have to to probate less people. These facts are somehow related.

If you want to debate the ethics and morality of occult warfare take it to PYF, don't bring it up here.

DO NOT READ THIS FILE WITH YOUR THIRD EYE.

Hotaru Amano (天野 蛍)

Date of Birth: July 16, 2117
Nationality: Japanese
Birthplace: Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Hair: Green
Eyes: Red
Height: ~146 cm
Weight: ~48 kg
Aliases: Radiant Princess Hotaru, Nuclear Option

The former magical mascot of Yokohama Energy Research, Amano represents possibly one of the the most dire misuses of public funds we’ve become aware of. In retrospect, it seems likely that the Children of Chaos were involved in the disastrous project that imbued her with magic. It seems unlikely that the project would hardly have gotten as out of control as it did without some outside influence, but any evidence was likely lost with the atomization of their main offices.

A timeline has been reconstructed using from external backups of their systems. Her reasons for recruitment are unclear, but she was likely pressured by her parents, given her history in several minor acting roles (mainly in advertisements, now subject to cursory censorship protocols, see attached file amano00x.mpg). Her recruitment was not done in good faith, as Yokohama Energy had somehow been provided with black-level restricted rituals involving A, and sought to find a means to draw upon A as a theoretical power source.

As most such rituals deal in human sacrifice, they managed to find a means to regulate a “pinhole” (technically the term is inaccurate, as the gate has no spatial component as we understand it, or so our researchers tell me) opening through a stalled sacrificial ritual. Amano was granted what she believed was ordinary magic but mostly relied on her connection to A, using her psyche as a stabilizing factor. She became a subject of study, and it was believed that using her as a PR model would soften the blow of their research when it came to light. (Hence the suspicion of the Children’s involvement, because god drat was that stupid if they were in earnest.) There are also notes of her responding to otherworldly music from the other side of the aperture (likely a synesthetic attempt by her mind to parse information it cannot otherwise comprehend). Observation was begun on Amano at that time, as her magical effects were at the time unexplained, but her destructive potential was clear to us when she eliminated Mecha-Dhole nearly single-handedly in a massive detonation of extraterrestrial magical force.

Records exist of the parents’ protest of the company’s increasing demands on Amano’s time, as well as the impact of her powers on her psyche. They escalated up to and including genuine legal threats, but they shortly thereafter died in what was likely an arranged car accident due to a faulty traffic signal. (Once again, similar MO to the Children.) Two hours later, the central offices of Yokohama Energy Research detonated. There were no apparent survivors (save Amano, presuming she was present), and the building was annihilated, leaving a glass-lined crater behind.

Though there were a few attempts to capture Amano, they were disastrous in terms of injuries and loss of life. It seems she can manifest A locally on what to it would be a likely imperceptible level on its scale, but in our world creates an violent reaction that is devastating on a strategic level. The dilemma that quickly came to light is that Amano is the sole stabilizing force keeping a much larger quantity of A from potentially manifesting. It is likely an attempt at neutralization would result an amount of force that would be regionally devastating, with a very small chance of triggering hemispheric-level extinctions. Though our researchers have placed such a risk at ~0.7%, that risk is unacceptable at any level. Other means of neutralization have been considered but are not without similar risks.

As such it has been ruled that confrontations with Amano are to be avoided at all costs. The last attempt to capture Amano occurred on Odrau in which we offered her a private piece of land, well-supplied with opulence for the rest of her natural life in the interest of reducing the risk to her person. Our agent survived the experience minus most of his hair and some mild burns, and it is in general thought best to avoid contact until a new containment strategy can be devised. A cursory censorship protocol is to be kept up in the meantime; it’s impossible to keep her a secret, but keeping her existence quiet is the best course of action for various reasons.

Dossiers-R-Us File #16798: Hotaru Amano

Section #7: Personal Notes of Anvil Jones

If you don’t mind contributing to a teenager’s growing PTSD syndrome, Hotaru Amano is professional for her age as far as operatives go. Which is to say she’s not really professional at all, but she will blow up what you tell her to as long as it’s an obvious military target and she doesn't have a change to think too hard about it. Now, you jackasses who might think of parking a tank in the middle of a village and having her blow that up are already rubbing your two brain cells together at how smart you are, but my best advice is to keep any employment with her honest and on a professional level. I know most of you reading Dossiers-R-Us are recruiters for PMCs, "liberation" armies, black ops dickholes, etc., and that you are the likely are the devil’s hand on this unclean earth, but I would consider it a personal favor if you stop for a moment and consider what you’re doing. You are recruiting a teenager to murder people with black magic.

Underneath it all there's still a decent young girl just trying to make it, but she's only got one skillset, and that's blowing the hell out of things. If one of you can show her she can be something more, that'd probably be best for all of this in the long run. Unfortunately, I know how you all operate, and just how hosed we probably are as a result.

pre:

Radiant Princess Hotaru

Concept:	Magical Princess of the Apocalypse
WMD:		Seething Nuclear Chaos
Banter:		Nice Enough for a Murderer
Action:		Daring Danmaku Deviltry
Omega:		Songs of the Daemon-Sultan

WMD (Weapon of Magical Destruction) * 8 points: Athletics, Combat, Occult, Physique, Provoke, Will.

+5 | Superb:	Provoke, Combat*
+4 | Great:	Athletics, Physique, Will
+3 | Good:	Mythos, Rapport*
+2 | Average:	Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice*
+1 | Fair:	Vehicles

* Reinforced skill.

Uh Oh, It's Magic (Mega, 2 Benefits): Use Athletics to fly; ignore all ground-based obstacles when
you do. Weapon: 4 when making unarmed or magical attacks, but at at a cost.

Addicted to Chaos: Once per scene when invoking one of your aspects, you may roll a normal six-sided
die for your result in place of a Fate roll. This replaces any other benefits of invoking that aspect.

Master Exploder: You may use Combat to perform an attack against all targets in your present zone
or an adjacent zone. When doing so, this creates a mild collateral consequence on the scene. If there
is already a mild collateral consequence, increase the lowest collateral consequence by one rank instead
(mild to moderate, moderate to severe, severe to extreme).

She's Gone Critical: When you suffer a consequence, mark an additional stress box afterwards (of
either type) to gain a boost.

One stunt slot left open.

Physical Stress:	[][][][]
Mental Stress:		[][][]

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 2, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Gonna try and get a thing while the getting's good, since I haven't gotten in a Nyarly game. Just need to figure out what the hell I'm doing, or find a way to pretend that I do.

Step 1). Be anime.

Step 2). Make a violent lady.

There is no step 3.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kai Tave posted:

Step 1). Be anime.

Step 2). Make a violent lady bishonen.

There is no step 3.

Fixed that for you.

(I really need to finish my background...)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Hey trix, per our discussion I'm going to put something together. Might not be posted tonight, but def tommorow after work.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Step 1). Be anime.

There is no step 3.

Powers: hella tough, wields The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod (or something very similar)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

inklesspen posted:

Powers: hella tough, wields The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod (or something very similar)

The Monkey Queen, eh?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

The Monkey Queen, eh?

Youshi is allegedly from Romance of the Three Kingdoms by way of Giant Robo.

Also I am not seriously applying but I do want to.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

inklesspen posted:

Youshi is allegedly from Romance of the Three Kingdoms by way of Giant Robo.

Also I am not seriously applying but I do want to.

I think Youshi might be a version of Blue-Faced Yang Zhi from Outlaws of the Marsh. But yeah, applying Giant Robo characters :hfive:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Sorry it took so long, but Voytek's background is finally done. Did I overwrite it?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Xelene stillthinkingofalastname (shut up Wacky Ancient Civilization Naming Conventions are hard goshhhhhh)

Go~ki~gen~you! I'm Xelene, and I'm a magical girl.

that's totally me okay >:( i don't know why my hair turns pale blonde and my eyes turn green when I do my, um....magical girl costumey-changey thing, but it's really cool+cute so you better deal w/it okay?!

...o-okay, maybe I should back up a little. Start at the start, right? So, I was born on this boring island waaaaaaaay in the past, I think it's called Mu, right? And we didn't have microwaves or tablets or Kyary or modern medicine or anime or ANYthing, right? But then something happened -- mama and papa told me about it 'cos I don't remember much, but it sounds reeeally boring, and then we were here! I guess you could say I grew up in the past, but I was raised by the now! And the Net! And the Something Terrible forums. And anime! ...that might sound silly, but it's really not, okay? 'cos I saw an episode of Cute Star Cuddling Conquerer Mayumi-chan and it was like a revelation, okay? I saw this girl exploring near and far and being really cute and helping people and scaring off monsters and saving lives and, you know...I knew I wanted to be like that, you know? I knew I was destined to be like that.

So, I saw no other choice but to become a magical girl, okay~?

...e-ehe, maybe that's a sliiiiiiiight exaggeration. Just a tiny tiny bit! Can you believe that jerk recruiter?! Like I filled out all my paperwork perfectly and she just gave me this weird look and sniffed and was like 'oh, there's no way I'm letting a girl like you in.' And I was really confused 'cos it's not like I killed somebody or have really messy handwriting or...I don't know, because I was raised by turtles (not that I was raised by turtles! it's just an example!) or something weird like that, but it wasn't because of any of that! It was 'cos...ugh, can you believe her?! She said it was 'cos I was born a....n-never mind that! Anyways! I was really upset, really really upset, but then I bounced back, because that's what majokkos do, right~? They don't sit around drowning in sadness and Jovian cat videos or anything like that! They punch sadness in the squishy parts and conquer sadness a-and they do majokko stuff! So...

So, I, um, may have bought a teeny tiny bit of thermite and snuck into a JSDF supply depot when nobody was around and blown a hole through an armoury wall and sort of borrowed a Hakurei wand! A-and some other things. I mean, just for a little while! A-and besides, they were sitting around and gathering dust I'm not even exaggerating there was more dust on those rocket launchers than an episode of that weird old anime about dust bunnies who become sentient and grumpy and debate whether the world deserves to be saved and anyways, the point is, it's not like they neeeeeded it, right? And it bonded with me right away, a-almost like it was meant for me! So...

...anyways, the point is that even though I'm not one of *those* majokko, I'm definitely a majokko! A-and really, it's better than if I was one of those majokko, because I can do as I like! Help out where I'm needed, when I'm needed! A-and it turns out that my home really needs help! Eeeh, there's so much strangeness and scariness and crime and it's my duty to do my best, okay~? But, um, helping out and saving the day and saving people's kittens that've turned into horrible monsters fuelled by sadness doesn't pay the bills or give me the money to buy material fo-- uuuu, y-you better not call it COSplay, okay?! i mean jeez these are my MAJOKKO UNIFORMS OKAY JUST LIKE OFFICIAL MAJOKKO and they're full of arcanotech and REALLY comfy and cute and they're VERY IMPORTANT OKAY?!

...anyways, I kind of had to find extra work, a-and I don't really like killing people -- I mean, I don't *not* like it but I sort of don't like it and anyways I'd prefer not to, o-okay? -- so I found a job as a deliverywoman! Everyone likes getting things in the mail, right? Rightrightright! I know people like getting things, because....um, because....people don't shoot at me when I deliver things! Most some of the time occasionally.

Concept: The Irregular Magical Girl of Little Mu
(+1)Action: Fatal But Not Serious But Seriously Though Not Fatal (athletics, mostly nonlethal combat, notice, physique, provoke, vehicles)
(+3)COOL MAJOKKO: Mahouly poo poo WHY DOES SHE HAVE A GRENADE
(+2)Subtle spy poo poo that I'm totes good at honest: Tomoyo Never Dies (athletics, burglary, contacts, deceive, notice, stealth)
Omega: JSDF Public Enemy Number 1....00 Or So Maybe I Guess

COOL MAJOKKO (weird mode, 12pts): empathy, rapport, provoke, mostly nonlethal combat, COOL MAJOKKO STUFF, burglary, will
COOL MAJOKKO STUFF (weird skill, 3pts): attack/defend/shoot GEYSERS OF MAGIC, dissolve wards and other magical/mundane locks, ????creative applications of MAJOKKO STUFF

+5: --
+4: Provoke, Mostly-nonlethal Combat
+3: Empathy, Rapport, Notice, Burglary, Will, COOL MAJOKKO STUFF, Athletics
+2: Deceive, Contacts, Stealth
+1: Physique, Vehicles

Stunts:
Hey, listen! :+2 to Empathy or Rapport to get people to shut up and listen to her
NOOOOOOOOOOO FIGHTING: When things are about to explode into a fight, Xelene can spend an FP to jump in dramatically and place the Boost Nooooo Fighting! into the scene. If everyone involved agrees to take the compel for the Aspect, they all get a Fate Point. Otherwise, she gets her Fate Point back.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 4, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Mercy Ascensus-Slayer of the Gods

Some adventurers desire a retirement that involves neither running a tavern or an anonymous grave. Mercy combined ruthless ambition with a fundamental hatred for the inhuman serpent people that ruled her land. A years long campaign of uniting the quarreling human tribes, binding and allying with strange eldritch entities, and harrying and destroying the enemy wherever she could acclimated in an assault on the palace built into the skull of an ancient god.

She smashed their temples, defiled their alters, stole their idols, and slew their priests. Peeling the crown from the severed, scorched head of their despot, Mercy took the throne. You'd have thought the peasantry would've been more understanding of the brutally high taxes needed to keep an army making sure residual snake men and outside raiders only burned down half their farms. Nevertheless, as the Aquillonian Spring swept the globe and the peons got uppity, she and other rulers found themselves swept aside in a tidal wave of populist feeling. Apparently they felt their needs would be better represented by something large, carnivorous and cephalopodic. Arcane wards and terrible thamaturgical traps bought her enough time to steal the last boat out and complete the desperate spell to open a portal to another world.

Drifting about, she found the new world strange yet familiar: overcoming the language barrier by shouting loudly and gesturing wildly, Mercy quickly found work in the darker corners of the planet. Certain folks were quite willing to employ the services of an off-the-books grand sorceress with a background of mythos critter disposal. Additionally, although several centuries outdated, seeing someone severed in half like an orange with a near 2 meter long blade still has strong rhetorical effect.

When the Mu archipelago appeared, Mercy knew she had found her niche. Fighting her way through a gaggle of petty wizard lords was simply getting back to basics, and the Royalist faction was more than ready to accept her help, they just didn't know Mercy intends to put an entirely different queen back on a throne. Its good to be back.

The good ol' days.

More recently

Aspects:
High Concept: Unemployed God Empress

Warrior Queen
Dread Sorceress
Trans-dimensional Refugee
Hyborean Blues

Stress:
Phys: OOOO
Ment: OOO

Skills:
+5 Rapport, Physique
+4 Contact, Deceive, Lore:Sorcery, Will, Athletics
+3 Empathy, Lore:Daemons and Monsters
+2 Notice, Lores

Stunts: (+1 FP to GM)

Majestic Terror (2 benefits)
-Absolutely more charismatic (rapport) than a normal human but at the cost of missing norms of Terran etiquette
(The Impaled burglar really compliments the granite countertop.)
-The intimidation half of provoke may be used with rapport

Blood Magic (2 benefits)
-Sorcery may be used to overcome magic related obstacles
-Sorcery may be used as a ranged combat skill to inflict physical stress on living targets or mental stress on magical creatures
(in the case of wizard scum, take your pick)h

Thews
-Physique can be used for combat with sufficiently large weapons or hand to hand(claw) ripping and tearing

This Machine Kills Pharaohs
-Greatsword that delivers +2 damage and +1 when attacking the highest ranking/most dangerous enemy in the area

Modes:

Enlightened Despot (Cost:10)
-Contacts, Rapport, Physique, Athletics, Deceive, Empathy

Occult (Cost 3)
Notice, Will, Lores (All)

Boat persTransferee (5)
Contacts, Physique, Deceive, Rapport

Reinforced Skills:
+1 to Contacts, Rapport, Physique, Deceive

Remaining Skill points (18)

Focused>Specialized @ 2pts ea x 2 skills= 4pts
-Physique
-Rapport

Trained>Specialized @ 3pts ea x2skills= 6pts
-Lore: Sorcery
-Will

Trained>Focused @ 1pt ea x2 skills = 2pts
-Athletics
-Lore:Demons and Monsters

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 31, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

:siren: Just a reminder that you have more or less 48 hours to finish up your applications! :siren:

Goooosh, I'm not even sure how I'm going to narrow this down.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Invert the title; take Kumaton, The Deleter, and me and turn it into A Game of Angry, Shooty Prettyboys.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Step 1). Be anime.

There is no step 3.

How dare you I would never.

Concept up barring slight edits, should have my numbers up before the deadline.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Give or take an hour.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, finally got around to finish my guy.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Okay, apps closed. Gonna make picks soon and set up the game thread this week.

Thanks for making this really difficult! :B

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

So thank you all for your interest. Really. I enjoyed the turnout and found it really hard to pick a group out of twenty-four (:siren: :aaaaa: :siren:) apps. That said, I had to make my choice!

Insert your favorite 80s theme song here:

Amelia Okajima (Siivola), the InfoSec Expert
Hotaru Amano (Alien Rope Burn), the Loose Cannon
Mai Yamane (Desty), the Secretary
Hiromi Moriyuki (Gorbash), the Armorer
Tzera (Ettin), the Mercenary
Xelene (ningyou), the Heart (it's an awesome power!)

Congrats, you get a high-risk, moderate-paying job at a courier service in a country on the midst of a civil war! I'm going to dump a bunch of information to you in the next post, so please keep reading!

To everyone else, I'm really glad you applied and I'm sorry I couldn't take everyone I liked. D: There are two ways to go from here:

1) Gorbash will be restarting the second game of his nTech Ashton Foundation series very soon. It's more of a globetrotting adventure featuring Troubleshooters with PHDs, plus it takes place over a decade before my own games (before Odrau resurfaced) but hopefully it shouldn't take much to convert your character to that if you're interested.
2) I don't really want to see all these good apps go to waste, so I might make a second game (different location, same theme of anime Cthulhu shadowrunners) in a later date. I can't make exact promises, but if things go well with the first game, I'll re-open recruitment and advertise in the recruitment thread. You're all free to reuse your apps by then.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 2, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Okay, so. Just a few extra things:

Shambhala Ward

Your delivery company is based in Shambhala Ward, a large slum in the Wukong side of Odrau City.

In the early days of new Odrau, Wukong expanded like hell over their part of the sprawl, building facility after facility with adjacent housing for their staff and guards. Shambhala Ward was built along the coast of the city, a corporate-owned port that served as a hub for whatever stuff Wukong found on the islands and delivered them back to their HQ in China. That went well for a few years, until the company got furthered entrenched in the islands and devised more efficient delivery methods (right up to a railgun facility in Yniz Island). As more staff got relocated into these new facilities, Shambhala eventually got left behind as an obsolete husk and another grim reminder of corporate overbuilding. Then the refugees and the syndicates moved in.

These days, the cold, mirror sheen of the corporate Ward gives way to ramshackle slums, dirty streets, and even dirtier ports. Wukong doesn't care who lives there or even who runs the place, so long as they get a choice cut of the goods that flow in the port. And because the Ward still counts as corporate territory, the Red Moon doesn't patrol here (nearly as often) as rest of the sprawl. So the Mafia, the Yakuza, and what-have-you jockey for control of the docks and the black market of drugs, Muvian goods, and occult artifacts that now thrives in there. It's far from the safest place in Odrau, but Shambhala takes care of its own. Your PCs will probably be able to walk around here just fine.

You're coming back here a lot, so we're treating it like a faction (like Tesladyne is in Atomic Robo RPG Chapter 12). It starts with a Mediocre (+0) Resources Mode that contains these skills: Armory, Intel, Occult (a mythos version of R&D for arcane assistance), and Transport. It has the Mission Statement It's Almost Like Home and provides a healthy supply of Fate Points you can cash in for weapons, favors, etc. If you do well, you'll see it improving over time. That would be nice.

As a group, decide:

· To either 1) add +2 to one skill or 2) add +1 to two skills on your Resources Mode. Please make NPC contacts in Shambhala Ward that represents these skill improvements.
· Two pressure aspects. I kinda hinted at a few of them, but what do you guys prefer to focus on? At least one of them should be a problem they need to deal with soon.
· A name for your company. You could let your boss, Rosalina Silang, decide for you but I doubt you would like that.

Optionally: maybe one or two locations from each of you, with a face to match. This could be anywhere in the islands, not just Shambhala. Give them a 1-3 aspects each.

Brainstorms and Invention

I'm going to take a lead from this and treat Brainstorms differently. You're not a team of scientists, but you're still a team of experts. I'll probably call for Brainstorms for times when you need to break into a secure facility or pencil the safest delivery route or otherwise plan for any operation that will let your expertise shine. Inventions will probably be used for the same way: sometimes we need to build a big McGuffin to blow through a wall and the challenge is getting the parts for it.

Hooks

What does your character know about strange, spooky stuff going on in Odrau or its jungles? Feel free to get creative and weird. The point is, I want to know what kind of weirdness and mysteries you're interested in following. If you want to see any particular plots inspired by Lovecraft/Delta Green/Black Lagoon/etc, this is the time to tell me.

Likewise, if you have any character hooks you really want to see played out, let me know up front. I mean, I know you have aspects, but I'm not the best at catching everything people want.

I'll have the thread up by this week.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Here's my vote. I don't have a particular horse in this race, so this is pretty much just spitballing.

Shambala Ward

Mission statement: It's Almost Like Home

Resources +0
Armory +1
Esgile: Esgile is a Muvian who has spent the last thirteen years becoming an increasingly obsessive nerd about the firearms of the outside world. He thinks his place of neutrality was earned by how heavily armed and defended his basement redoubt is, but it's really because nobody wants him directly on their payroll. Still, he knows a lot about the many, many guns he has, and likes to share that knowledge at great, arduous length.

Transport +1
The Wreck of the Norsk Kontinero Sipo Kvin: Caught by the sudden reappearance of Odrau, this container ship was transporting an automated factory rig and ancillary materials. The calamity broke the ship's keel and left it stranded surprisingly deep into the shore of one of the smaller Odrauvian islands. Now the factory, still workable, consumes the remains of the ship and the encroaching jungle in its production cycle. So, as long as you don't mind A) getting a car or van or boat or light plane or whatever that's based off a 13-year-old design that B) was made by a damaged factory-robot eating hull plating and local wildlife which C) requires you to brave some of the inhabitants of the inner jungles of Odrau, you can get pretty much any kind of small transport or related parts you need. The wreck is not actually in Shambhala ward, but it provides most of the cobbled-together surface transportation for the city's impoverished inhabitants.

Pressures

Au Francais: The French just can't keep their dicks out of the China Sea periphery. At least this time it's just a restaurant. Cafe Etienne makes the best pho and croques monsieur for a hundred miles in any direction. The faux-Versailles interior is a little much, though. And all those mirrors at right angles to each other - it makes you dizzy just to look at them, like there's something not quite right about the architecture in the place...

Gangster's Paradise: Things have been going to hell since Salvatore Nguyen got cacked. Old Sal was a bastard, but he kept the fighting between the criminal organizations of the city to a minimum. Now he's dead, and nobody, in a very literal sense, knows what happened to him. Everyone can agree he's definitely dead and gone, but no one's recollections contain the same details of his demise, and his grave is just a marker. Meanwhile the mobs and gangs are edging ever closer to open war.

I got nothin' as far as what our company is called.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh yeah, you can also post impressions of everyone else if you like. You can assume you've all been in the company for at least a few months and maybe have even run jobs together.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sample +1 R&D hook:

Li Hua: Formerly having run a startup out of Shenzhen, Hua was forced to vanish under likely disastrous circumstances. She's an older, self-proclaimed "industrial occultist" focusing on summoning rituals to obtain unusual ingredients and occasionally using arcanotech to try and tame outerworld creatures. Of course, most of her customers aren't willing to pop down to the lab, and deliveries are essential... and the occasional recovery, as well, when something gets loose. She could probably afford something better, but Shambala gives her a degree of privacy and anonymity absolutely necessary to her work. It's also the kind of business most criminal enterprises aren't fighting to get their hands on... yet. The risk is high and the market fluctuates like some ineffable horror, but it's possible some strange discovery could change that.

Oh, and she knows a lot about strange things, though she leans more towards the scientific perspective than the occult eye.

Sample Names:
  • Shambala Freelance Postal
  • Happy Turtle Packaging
  • Makara Travel & Tours
(Or mix and match any of the above.)

Not Really Hooks But-
- it's what I got.
  • There's a part of the South China Sea called The Dangerous Ground. It's next to the Fiery Cross Reef.
  • Invasive Species: what sort of wild creatures emerge from 22,000 years ago? What happens when their ecology is thrown out of whack by ship-borne beasts? Who knew the yeugol could interbreed with cats?
  • There's likely a constant struggle between criminal enterprises and local "peacekeepers". Whether or not the company maintains a balancing act or picks a side is gonna be a big thing.
  • Magical Girls don't exist in a vacuum; they multiply. Same for monsters, when they're around. What sort of rivals or foes might Hotaru or Xelene have?
  • I imagine Hiromi and Tzera are at the tip of an illegal research iceberg. I imagine all sorts of illegal, impractical, dangerous, and silly (or all four) products are starting to be produced out of the islands. And, of course, there are people interested in controlling these new markets, too...
  • There always has to be a twist to jobs on shows like Black Lagoon, but it's essential for characters like Mai and Amelia. Having people who bail us out (or into) trouble, each with their own crazy secret, is essential.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
You actually went with a game about shooty ladies :allears:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I imagine Hiromi and Tzera are at the tip of an illegal research iceberg.

:getin:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Dear diary, EVERYONE IS WEIRD AND SCARY AND ANIME DIDN'T PREPARE ME FOR THIS OKAY

It seems like everyone is scary and Ms. Yamane is REALLY scary and Ms. Moriyuki is kinda scary and....well, oKAY. Not everyone's scary. I met another magical girl like me, and she's really mostly kind of nice! Her name is hotaur Hotaur HOTARU HER NAME IS HOTARU if you hack into my diary because something awful happened to me and you're trying to find out about my next of kin because you just couldn't leave me alone and forgotten in the monster's stomach or w/e hotaru please don't think poorly of me i'm bad at typing that's all i would never call you hotaur intentionally 'cos that would be very un-magicalgirllike!!! :ohdear: but that probably won't happen anyways right? so, um, so anyways! I met another magical girl, and I don't know what life was like for her before, but she seems...friendlier than the JSDF, a-at least, and I really hope we can be friends! I wonder if I should invite her for an anime night...?

Name suggestions!
I, um...I'm afraid to say anything 'cos then people will laugh and i might cry and Ms. Yamane said YOU CAN'T SHOW WEAKNESS NOT IN THE HORRIBLE SHARK TANK OF THE DELIVERY BUSINESS (I-I think she was drunk...) but I think maybe we should name our company Domino's! I read a lot of history when we first came to Odrau, and I read about the Pizza Wars, and...I read about the Canadian Bacon Culling of 2102, when some Domino's executive made some kind of faux pas (it hasn't ever come to light what exactly they did) and a tenuous alliance of pig farmers and rival fast-casual/delivery conglomerate Papa Caesar's Hut, Inc. wiped out the Domino's corporate headquarters, and, um....oh, that sounds bad. But it's not! It's not, because if we name ourselves Domino's, that'll evoke those warm feelings you get when you order food and the food comes *right* when you're hungriest and maybe it'll mean less people shooting at us, right? Nobody shoots the pizza deliverywoman for delivering pizza! Or illegal pizza that we had to sedate and smuggle out of a corporate enclave or....a-anyways, it'll make people friendlier, I'm sure! And we won't get sued for copyright infringement, 'cos Papa Caesar's Hut didn't leave anyone alive, and....a-anyways! Ehe...

Pressure suggestions!
Pizzapocalypse Now: Papa Caesar's Hut, Inc. has a corporate branch in Odrau. And may have clawed their way to the top of the ham-and-pineapple hierarchy with the help of stolen Muvian artifacts that impart limited clairvoyance (or ?????whatever). And if they hear even a whisper of Domino's rising from the ashes, or even just some gaggle of armed weirdoes calling themselves Domino's? They're not gonna leave things to chance.

Hooks!
•There's an underground market! Some corp took it upon themselves to ~modernise~ Odrau City, breaking ground in a number of places in town and burrowing with an eye toward meeting in the middle and setting up a subway system...but there were already tunnels underground, *old* tunnels, and the workers disturbed the things in those tunnels. (Spoiler alert: after a certain point they didn't come back.) Eventually, some adventurous locals got the great idea that nobody was going to march down *there* and demand protection money, and a patchwork bazaar sprung up. Later on, some of the things in the tunnels emerged...but instead of gobbling up *all* the merchants, they only gobbled up some and mimicked others, dragging all sorts of oddments out from the deeper tunnels and doing their best impression of a barter economy. (adding more later, blah bloo weirdness and FUNGUS PPL and etc. with strange, constantly-shifting definitions of barter)

•Let me tell you about Odrau Comiket! It is weird and horrid and not just because of skeevy dudes lingering around. Odrau Comiket may or may not have been used as a testbed for memetic virus-doujins! Odrau Comiket may or may not devolve into a big magical-girl brawl every third year or so! (Or an insanely high-stakes DDR-off.) Odrau Comiket gets messy.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Shambala Ward
I think Intel is probably the best pick up for Shambala Ward, given our own capabilities. I like gnoll's Transport idea a lot.

The Spaniard (+1 Intel): Suave, well dressed, refined. Tall, dark, and handsome. The Spaniard showed up about three years ago, and from the start had his finger on the pulse of the city. Nothing happens in Odrau that he doesn't know about, somehow. He's survived a dozen serious assassination attempts, in part because he's almost impossible find. You don't go to him - you let it be known you want to speak to him, and he comes to you. And his price is never just money. The Spaniard gives secret for secret - or for favors.

Pressure Suggestions
In regards to the pizza wars idea, one of the time-lost Muvian NPCs from the NTech IRC game took over a Chicago pizza place and turned it into a Muvian fusion fast-food place called Necaal. Would be 10-11 years ago in the game timeline. Even better, the NPC in question - Viara, the Black Raider - was a Muvian airship pirate.

Ghosts in the Machine: Odrau's digital infrastructure is a mess of layered systems, none of which was ever fully deployed or decommissioned. Muvian telex and voiceband internet were partly installed before the timejump. Afterwards, corporations quickly put up their own proprietary networks, while at least two different state sponsored projects began setting up wireless and fiber access throughout the islands, and every single one had multiple integrated occult systems. It's no surprise that weird things happen, especially when the systems are forced to interact. Rumors persist that it isn't just the usual brand of computer bugs - that there are things hiding in forgotten data centers, waiting for the unwary.

The Hunted: Bloody killings aren't an unusual occurrence in the Ward, so the first few elicited little remark. But over the past three months, at least fifteen victims, and probably more, have been literally torn to shreds. There seems to be no connection between the victims - save that each one was heavily armed and guarded. Whoever, or whatever, is doing it, they're intentionally picking the most difficult targets they can find. And so far, no one has been able to so much as slow them down. For once, its the Ward's most dangerous who are locking themselves in at night and starting at every sound.

Company Suggestions
I think ARB's got a good idea with mixing and matching pieces to find the best one.

• Shambala Independent Parcel & Post
• Agartha Express
• Bunyip Deliveries
• Lung Ring Courier Service

For a motto, though, I like "Anything, Anywhere, Anytime, Anywise."

Adventures
• Pirates! The South China Sea has had problems with pirates for centuries, and Mu had a long tradition of airship pirates. With the sudden appearance of hundreds of new islands screwing up shipping lanes, piracy is probably a pretty big deal.
• Dinosaurs! Megafauna! Oh my!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 5, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I vote for company name Happy Turtle Deliveries.

+1 Intel: The Dao Twins

Wukong might have left Shambala, but the corporation still keeps tabs on everything that goes on down there. As long as you play nice and give the Corporation its cut, everything goes smoothly and everyone can enjoy electricity and running water. The unflappably cool pair only known as the Dao Twins are Wukong's eyes and ears in the Ward. They pay hard cash for secrets, and are willing to sell choice bits of in-house Wukong intel for those looking for the corp angle. However, they make a point of never taking sides in the power struggles in Shambala: Whatever they learn in Shambala, they will only reveal to their masters in Wukong.

For pressures, I really like this one:

grassy gnoll posted:

Gangster's Paradise: Things have been going to hell since Salvatore Nguyen got cacked. Old Sal was a bastard, but he kept the fighting between the criminal organizations of the city to a minimum. Now he's dead, and nobody, in a very literal sense, knows what happened to him. Everyone can agree he's definitely dead and gone, but no one's recollections contain the same details of his demise, and his grave is just a marker. Meanwhile the mobs and gangs are edging ever closer to open war.
And for a more pressing one, hmm, how about we steal that one incomprehensible Black Lagoon plotline and give it a good NTech twist?

Occult Ninja Squad On the Loose: Nobody knows who they are, but everyone's convinced a bunch of some sort of seriously weird-rear end special ops types have taken refuge in Shambala Ward. With all the rumours flying around, it's only a matter of time until the Red Moon stops by to ask uncomfortable questions, and nobody really wants that.

For hooks, I'd love some "Black Lagoon with Anime Magic" sort of stuff in general. The sisters living in the church on the hill deal in demons instead of boring old guns, the company's deliveries are magic tomes instead of RPGs, there's a bar where ~rogue magicians~ hang out, and so on. The Russian mafia can stay a completely un-occult commando unit of badasses, though, just to contrast with all the weird crap. :ussr:

If you want character hooks on Amelia, I guess it might be kind of interesting to see how she ended up moving all the way from the nice and busy Little Ikebukuro to the run-down arse-end of Shambala. Seeing how people know her as the Vindictive Miss Stiff Upper Lip, she probably isn't too happy about that. :v:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Siivola posted:

The Russian mafia can stay a completely un-occult commando unit of badasses, though, just to contrast with all the weird crap. :ussr:

I'd like to propose that the Hotel Moscow equivalent is the Korean Mafia based on a gambling parlor run by the Queen of Games.

(Only Gorbash will probably get this. I just want some terrible The Genius jokes.)

EDIT: Also, I technically have a majority vote on Happy Turtle Deliveries. That work? I also like Shambala Independent Parcel & Post (ShIPP?), Agartha Express, and Dominos.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I am okay with Happy Turtle Deliveries.

I do have a question. Are we going to actually be Vehicling a lot? 'cause I think our best driver is at like +2 or so.

• Locked thread