Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
:darksouls: Latest Update: The Throne of Want :darksouls:

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @DazzlingAddarSA or subscribe to my hitbox channel http://hitbox.tv/Dazz for updates and streams!

about :

Dark Souls II is the sequel to the critically acclaimed 2011 action RPG, Dark Souls, which in itself was a spiritual continuation of 2009's Demon's Souls. Produced by From Software, the Dark Souls series follows the saga of the Undead Curse. Known for its difficult but fair gameplay, amazing art direction, and unique multiplayer systems, the series is fiercely beloved by its fans. In order to overcome the challenges they face, the player must amass a great many souls, the universal currency of the cursed land, and use them to become stronger. Beware, for your souls are lost upon death, and it is up to you to safely retrieve them from your bloodstain.

The LP:

This will be an informative, thorough, and deliberate playthrough of the game. Don't expect a speedrun or a no deaths playthrough, I want to present the game in an organic light and show off some of the experiences a newer player might have with the game. I will be doing solo commentary that is (hopefully) unobtrusive, so I can give the game some room to breathe and speak for itself. I intend to do multiple runthroughs of the game to showcase as many different ways to play as I can.

Things I will Show off:
-Multiplayer
-Optional Bosses
-The scenery!
-Secrets, such as they are
-NPC questlines and dialogue
-DLC (eventually)

Things I will not show off:
-getting to max rank in all covenants (brotherhood of blood alone requires a minium of 500 arena matches)
-literally every single item in the game, forever
-murdering NPCs for no reason

Thread Ground Rules:

I know that the Souls games can get people pretty riled up, so here are some requests from me to you about how to conduct yourself.
-Try not to go crazy with spoilers. If you have to talk about things that happen later, use tags.
-I strongly encourage discussion of all kinds, but I would appreciate it if you could save the Dark Souls 1 vs 2 debate for the other 4 threads currently embroiled in it.
-As always, use your best judgment. Breaking these rules will... not really result in anything because I don't have that kind of authority but even so. Best behavior, pretty please!

Videos:

Tale of Hal, Bearer of the Curse:

Episode 1: Things Betwixt
Episode 2: Exploring Majula
Episode 3: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part One
Episode 4-1: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part Two
Episode 4-2: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part Two
Episode 5: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part Three
Episode 6: Heide's Tower of Flame
Episode 7-1: No-Man's Wharf
Episode 7-2: No-Man's Wharf
Episode 8: Grave of Saints
Episode 9: Lost Bastille, Part One
Episode 10: Lost Bastille, Part Two
Episode 11: Belfry Luna Stream Bonanza
Episode 12: Sinner's Rise
Episode 13: Huntsman's Copse, Part One
Episode 14: Huntsman's Copse, Part Two
Episode 15: Undead Purgatory
Episode 16: Harvest Valley, Part One
Episode 17: Harvest Valley, Part Two
Episode 18: Earthen Peak, Part One
Episode 19: Earthen Peak, Part Two
Episode 20: Straid of Olaphis and Gilligan
Episode 21: Iron Keep, Part One
Episode 22: Iron Keep, Part Two
Episode 23: Iron Keep, Part Three
Episode 24: Looking Ahead, Looking Behind
Episode 25: Belfry Sol Stream Shindig Part 1, Part 2
Episode 26: Shaded Woods, Part one
Episode 27: Shaded Woods, Part two
Episode 28: The Doors of Pharros
Episode 29: Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Part One
Episode 30: Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Part Two
Episode 31: Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Part Three
Episode 32: A Few Loose Ends
Episode 33: The Gutter
Episode 34: Black Gulch
Episode 35: Shrine of Winter
Episode 36: Drangleic Castle, Part One
Episode 37: Drangleic Castle, Part Two
Episode 38: Drangleic Castle, Part Three
Episode 39: Shrine of Amana, Part One
Episode 40: Shrine of Amana, Part Two
Episode 41: Undead Crypt
Episode 42: Wandering Lost
Episode 43: Shulva, Sanctum City
Episode 44: Dragon's Sanctum, Part One
Episode 45: Dragon's Sanctum, Part Two
Episode 46: Dragon's Sanctum, Part Three
Episode 47: Dragon's Rest
Episode 48: Brume Tower, Part One
Episode 49: Brume Tower, Part Two
Episode 50: Brume Tower, Part Three
Episode 51: Brume Tower, Part Four
Episode 52: Pilgrim in the Dark
Episode 53: Eleum Loyce, Part One
Episode 54: Eleum Loyce, Part Two
Episode 55: Eleum Loyce, Part Three
Episode 56: Eleum Loyce, Part Four
Episode 57: Grand Cathedral and the Old Chaos
Episode 58: The Symbol of the King
Episode 59: Aldia's Keep
Episode 60: Dragon Aerie
Episode 61: Dragon Shrine
Episode 62: Ancient Memories
Episode 63: Sir Alonne and the Smelter Throne
Episode 64: The Ancient Dragon
Episode 65: King Vendrick and the Ancient Crowns
Final Episode: The Throne of Want

Tale of Samuelle, Dour Swordsman

The Last Giant, Pursuer, and Powerstancing
The Dragonrider, Flexile Sentry, and bell-ringing for the lazy

Lore Corner:

Episode 1: Dark Souls One and the First Flame

Miscellaneous Videos:

Lending a Helping Hand: Co-op and a bit of Blue Sentinel Sparring
A Modest Spattering of Blood: PvP with the Brotherhood of Blood
The Secret of Santier's Spear
Of Pigs and Pickaxes
Weapon Infusion
Dragon Remnant's Covenant
Royal Sorcerer Navlaan

Character Information:

Hal:
Starting Class: Deprived
Current Soul Level: 115
Current Soul Memory: like eleven billion
Current Area: Brume Tower
Specialty: Wearing masks and helmets

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

reserved for errata, bonus content, etc.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

skeleton ahead , therefore skeleton !

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
Ooh, a LP of one of my new favorite games by one of my old favorite LPers. Good to see you back Dazz!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

huh, i just completed this game for the first time today. and now i see this! Neato

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So based on the character naming screen, this should be the PC version, right? You should announce in the thread or over Twitter or something when you're recording and what SM you're at. :getin:

Meis posted:

huh, i just completed this game for the first time today. and now i see this! Neato

I think you mean Nito. :colbert:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This is very :3:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really should start up a new playthrough of this. I played it for a while on release and just never really got into it, but then again, if I may give some advice to new players, trying to do your first playthrough as a dual-wielding swashbuckler is a bad idea

But hey, what better time than the present

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

Things I will not show off:
-getting to max rank in all covenants (brotherhood of blood alone requires a minium of 500 arena matches)

Baby.

(looking forward to this)

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

So based on the character naming screen, this should be the PC version, right? You should announce in the thread or over Twitter or something when you're recording and what SM you're at. :getin:

I think you mean Nito. :colbert:

how very Rotten of you

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Vicas posted:

trying to do your first playthrough as a dual-wielding swashbuckler is a bad idea

Sure was, though once I got accustomed to just how terrible the hitboxes are and how much invincibility you get on rolls, I suddenly started having more fun than I think I might have had trying to play it with a standard sword/shield setup.

I kind of hate Dark Souls 2. Moment-to-moment gameplay is still fine, but almost everything surrounding it feels bland and uninspired, and it's the dichotomy of disliking so many things yet feeling compelled by the gameplay to continue that frustrates me so much.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Vicas posted:

I really should start up a new playthrough of this. I played it for a while on release and just never really got into it, but then again, if I may give some advice to new players, trying to do your first playthrough as a dual-wielding swashbuckler is a bad idea

But hey, what better time than the present

I eventually beat the game!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one change I've seen so far that I dislike just from seeing it as a concept is that jump was made actually feasible to do. I just know there's going to be a tedious and unfun precious platforming segment later in the game just from that, because of course there will be. Now that it's not mostly automatic, From can be bastards with it so they are going to.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 23, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Zyla posted:

I eventually beat the game!

I just totally burned out from dying a billion times from bad parry timing/inability to stun enemies properly. I think in my new playthrough I'm gonna be a burly truck man because if it was good enough for DS1 then by god I'll make it good enough for DS2

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Vicas posted:

I just totally burned out from dying a billion times from bad parry timing/inability to stun enemies properly. I think in my new playthrough I'm gonna be a burly truck man because if it was good enough for DS1 then by god I'll make it good enough for DS2

Oh it was awful and about halfway through the game of trying to make it work I watched people that chose other paths have a much easier time and adapted their methods.

Burly truck man is a good decision

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Vicas posted:

I just totally burned out from dying a billion times from bad parry timing/inability to stun enemies properly.

Parrying isn't really ideal for a swordsman, I think. The idea should be to never get hit in the first place, not to deflect the hits. Poise breaking enemies I found not much of a problem with the stone ring. Having said that, it's certainly a more advanced class. On a second file I'm going through with zero armour on and doing lots of co-op. People are super quick to summon you when they see an avatar with no armour, possibly because they think you must be really good at the game.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think the biggest problem is trying to learn the layout of the game while simultaneously dodging things and especially having to come up with rather convoluted strategies for areas that wouldn't be much of a problem with a proper shield and sword

and then having to do them over and over and over and over

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

horse!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Vicas posted:

i gave up on learning how to parry in Dark Souls 2 pretty quickly and eventually just learned to roll through everything. unless you're using a shield built for parrying the timing is just brutal.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

There will be some parrying in the next update. Some of it even successful! It's always been a difficult mechanic, it doesn't help that the timing in 2 is significantly different from the timing in 1.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

For everyone looking to try out a first or 2nd playthrough soon, wait for the Free update/HD Remake coming in about a months time.

Also

Vicas posted:

As a 1st run no shield scimitar bro :gitgud:

For real though the scimitar class weapons have problems especially if you are trying to dual wield them and especially if you aren't used to Dark souls 2 and the bosses, they have such long animation fighting bosses was a pain.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

There will be some parrying in the next update. Some of it even successful! It's always been a difficult mechanic, it doesn't help that the timing in 2 is significantly different from the timing in 1.

It's not all that different. All the parry animations in this game have more startup frames than the previous games, so if you know what the timing to parry would be if this was Dks/Des, you just gotta adjust your timing to be like half a second earlier.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I really don't like ds2. I wish that I did like it, I can see what people find good, but ... I can't get over the bland aesthetics, both in terms of level architecture (there is only so much of the same gray brick walls that I can take) and enemy design; the fact that most enemies have very short wind-ups for their attacks so you can't prepare properly, their insane turn speeds and perfect tracking, the funky hitboxes where weapons hit you when you are a meter or more away from its arc ... but most of all I don't like it because it tells the same story DS1 did. This game tries to be so _safe_ that it feels like a rehash.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it feels really bland compared to the first game, where it was a joy to explore and discover all those amazingly detailed areas; a lot of DS2 is just rehashing Dark Souls.
I don't know, maybe I'd feel that way about the first game if I had played Demon's Souls, but this game's world just didn't feel very interesting to me. There's a couple of downright beautiful areas, but they usually don't get fleshed out too much and the majority of the game is just bland.
Also it does one thing that game designers turn to literally when they're out of any other ideas: giant spider dungeon. I'd honestly expect more than that of Dark Souls.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

anilEhilated posted:

Also it does one thing that game designers turn to literally when they're out of any other ideas: giant spider dungeon. I'd honestly expect more than that of Dark Souls.

Naw, that's sewer levels. Which the first game had but it was actually good, and this one doesn't have at all!

The place you're referring to in this one was actually pretty neat for what it was. If there's one thing this game doesn't do enough, it's having places which might've actually been lived in by normal people at some point. Most of them feel like dungeons for dungeons' sake, of which the first game had one too but Sen's Fortress is basically the greatest video game level of all time, so. :v:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 23, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, I argue that I may be the dumbest bastard to try this game; first off, I got killed by trying to see if those scurrying creatures at the very start of the game would attack you (they do); although I kind of expected that. What I DIDN'T expect was the fog wall corridor to be the actual tutorial level and skipped it all, not knowing any type of actual controls.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Longsword and pyromancy supremacy! Sticking to the basics is sticking to the best that the game has to offer in the long run.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Longsword is for puny, ungreat people

but pyromancy, that is for everyone

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hexes. try hexes, I never got the hang of them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

double nine posted:

hexes. try hexes, I never got the hang of them.

List of good hexes:
Dark orb, Dark weapon, scraps of life and dark storm.

There really isnt good reason to go into higher hexes since they nerfed them.

Well the really high end ones are great but thats a huge stat investment.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There really isnt good reason to go into higher hexes since they nerfed them.

Crypt Blacksword :colbert:
I find your lack of faith in large purple dongs disturbing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iretep posted:

Crypt Blacksword :colbert:
I find your lack of faith in large purple dongs disturbing.

Good for Guts cosplay as well.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I probably played DS1 more than any other game I've ever played but for the life of me I just could not get into DS2 the same way. I can't even put my finger on why but it never grabbed me. That being said I will watch your LP and enjoy it!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Chard posted:

I probably played DS1 more than any other game I've ever played but for the life of me I just could not get into DS2 the same way. I can't even put my finger on why but it never grabbed me. That being said I will watch your LP and enjoy it!

somewhere in this video is probably what you dislike about the game. It's very exhaustive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chard posted:

Hmm it truly is a mystery...

Chard posted:

I will literally for real in real life murder and kill to death, until they stop breathing and pumping blood and thinking, any poo poo fucker bitch human being bell phantoms. It's obscenely unbalanced right now, and I just want to help people through a fun boss. Yuck, sour taste in a fun game.

Is the ring supposed to work yet? I've got 0% hits in many areas.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nice custom title bro

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chard posted:

Nice custom title bro

Thanks. It's the third one some idiot(s?) has bought me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can we not get into DS1 vs. DS2? We're not even off page one. Also, do you intend to stay in the Imported Set all game, and leave Hal's true form to the viewers' imaginations forevermore?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Can we not get into DS1 vs. DS2?

Jesus christ yes, my post in this thread wasn't even about one being "better" but Geno decided to creep up in my post history for something I'd completely forgotten. I only mentioned it to frame how excited I am for a quality LP of Dark Souls 2.

e: i am so sorry everyone :smith:

Chard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I brought it up because it's hilarious. Not sure how you're getting "dks vs. dks2" from that :shrug:

• Locked thread