Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I generally don't consider people who don't get big health bars at the bottom of the screen to be bosses.

This is a special case: kill him here, and his boss arena will be empty later. You also get his soul and ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Crummelhorn posted:

This is a special case: kill him here, and his boss arena will be empty later. You also get his soul and ring.

And a fat load of souls for this early stage of the game, good for like 10-15 levels.

heenato posted:

I just use the dagger until I can start punching. Which is usually around the first boss.

You'd use fists that early? I dunno, seems like you'd be punching above your weight there.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

frozentreasure posted:

And a fat load of souls for this early stage of the game, good for like 10-15 levels.

You'd use fists that early? I dunno, seems like you'd be punching above your weight there.
Nah. It's actually very late in the game where you don't want to be using fists. Early on they are exceptional. Plus, I believe they count as blunt weapons.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

heenato posted:

Nah. It's actually very late in the game where you don't want to be using fists. Early on they are exceptional. Plus, I believe they count as blunt weapons.

Fists only weakness is their terrible range, as for benefits: they are blunt (the best damage type in this game) attack fast, good stamina consumption and hit hard when upgraded.

Edit: Dazz are you going to mind if I effort post about Stats, weapons, Bosses etc as they come up? I don't wanna fill up the thread with dry stuff like that if you'd rather not.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 25, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I like to think of the Pursuer as your character's hot-blooded rival. If this were a cartoon, most Dark Souls bosses would be monsters-of-the-week, but not him. It's a shame you can never actually get his armor though (unless that was changed in the DLC).

Anyway, dual cesti is basically the best and any Dark Souls 2 playthrough that doesn't involve them at some point is a pale and empty thing. :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mazed posted:

I like to think of the Pursuer as your character's hot-blooded rival. If this were a cartoon, most Dark Souls bosses would be monsters-of-the-week, but not him. It's a shame you can never actually get his armor though (unless that was changed in the DLC).
This was originally supposed to be an actual thing, the Pursuer was supposed to be a recurring boss that just dropped in at the most inopportune times and kept loving with you over the course of the entire game, but they didn't have the time and now he's just a normal boss with the single re-occurring appearance.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JT Jag posted:

This was originally supposed to be an actual thing, the Pursuer was supposed to be a recurring boss that just dropped in at the most inopportune times and kept loving with you over the course of the entire game, but they didn't have the time and now he's just a normal boss with the single re-occurring appearance.

Two Re-occuring appearences

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Stormgale posted:

Fists only weakness is their terrible range, as for benefits: they are blunt (the best damage type in this game) attack fast, good stamina consumption and hit hard when upgraded.

Edit: Dazz are you going to mind if I effort post about Stats, weapons, Bosses etc as they come up? I don't wanna fill up the thread with dry stuff like that if you'd rather not.

By all means, go ahead, just try not to talk too much about anything I haven't gotten to in video yet. All non-spoiler discussion is welcome, pretty much.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think that the design goal for the Pursuer was that you'd encounter him, get killed, get to his boss door, get killed a bunch more, and then give up and proceed to explore other areas until you felt more equiped to deal with him. However, since players expect this game to be difficult, they just try and keep trying until they succeed.

I have never seen dev statements to confirm this but I don't see a good alternative explanation for his difficulty spike - the pursuer is a lot more difficult than the other boss in the area.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Aw yeah, looking forward to this. Just what I need to get me back into DS2 before Scholar of the First Sin releases.
Is the big patch on 5th February going to impact the LP, or is everything going to be recorded by then?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Kloro posted:

Aw yeah, looking forward to this. Just what I need to get me back into DS2 before Scholar of the First Sin releases.
Is the big patch on 5th February going to impact the LP, or is everything going to be recorded by then?

The calibrations patch coming up with the Agape Ring and changes to covenants shouldn't really mess with anything too bad. In fact, it will make showing off some content quite a bit easier!

Scholar of the Fist Sin proper, though, that might be a bit of a difficulty. Not sure how realistic it would be to get -everything- done before then, so we'll just have to play it by ear.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

JT Jag posted:

Aw, that's a shame. Lots of the content that was supposedly cut from the first Dark Souls was probably for the best, such as Oscar (the knight from the Asylum) surviving and becoming a rival of sorts, and Artorias having actual dialogue during the battle with him, but this would've been pretty neat.

I guess in a way, invaders serve this purpose instead, but for some reason I've almost never had player-controlled black phantoms show up in this game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

I think that the design goal for the Pursuer was that you'd encounter him, get killed, get to his boss door, get killed a bunch more, and then give up and proceed to explore other areas until you felt more equiped to deal with him. However, since players expect this game to be difficult, they just try and keep trying until they succeed.

I have never seen dev statements to confirm this but I don't see a good alternative explanation for his difficulty spike - the pursuer is a lot more difficult than the other boss in the area.

Tanimura (the director) has stated the game is designed such that they expect you to hit a brick wall at some point, and then go and try a different area (which is why the game is more open than Dark Souls).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

The calibrations patch coming up with the Agape Ring and changes to covenants shouldn't really mess with anything too bad. In fact, it will make showing off some content quite a bit easier!

Scholar of the Fist Sin proper, though, that might be a bit of a difficulty. Not sure how realistic it would be to get -everything- done before then, so we'll just have to play it by ear.

Depending on where the scholar pops up It'll depend, the first time I know he 100% appears is In the undead crypt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

double nine posted:

It's that kind of thought that leads me to think people would go to absolutely wrong areas or try to brute force it because 'Welp, that's Dark Souls!' Like not getting an actual weapon at the beginning of the first game and just beating their heads against everything while doing two damage.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's that kind of thought that leads me to think people would go to absolutely wrong areas or try to brute force it because 'Welp, that's Dark Souls!' Like not getting an actual weapon at the beginning of the first game and just beating their heads against everything while doing two damage.

It'll come up more when we fight him but the pursuer is more an attempt to incentivise working together with other players than a specific roadblock

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

RareAcumen posted:

Part of why the intro and tutorial for DaS2 are really poorly designed, all for the sake of having a focus on the story and wanting to give the player the option to skip the tutorial on subsequent playthroughs.

It's also a problem with the way people describe or present the game to others. By saying "it's a super tough game!" it immediately gives people the wrong set of expectations when they play.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Stormgale posted:

It'll come up more when we fight him but the pursuer is more an attempt to incentivise working together with other players than a specific roadblock
he does it terribly though, since playing with other people in that fight is a guaranteed death sentence.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

heenato posted:

he does it terribly though, since playing with other people in that fight is a guaranteed death sentence.

Even if you ignore the thing you are talking about his focused attacks make taking him on with 2-3 people so easy as he's very easy to disengage from but we are getting very far ahead of ourselves, maybe save this discussion when we see the boss in videos? (i'm guilty of this too)

So let's talk about Melentia the hag lady, just a simple old lady right? But why does she have the blacksmiths key? I mean surely she isn't that sort of underhanded person right?

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 25, 2015

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Well, the blacksmith does just say "I moved all my stuff into this empty house and then someone locked it." So she didn't steal the blacksmith's key, he just put his stuff in her house.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Even if you ignore the thing you are talking about his focused attacks make taking him on with 2-3 people so easy as he's very easy to disengage from but we are getting very far ahead of ourselves, maybe save this discussion when we see the boss in videos? (i'm guilty of this too)

Almost every boss becomes hella easy with 1-2 buddies (every boss if you have competent buddies).

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Genocyber posted:

Almost every boss becomes hella easy with 1-2 buddies (every boss if you have competent buddies).

I've found one summon helps, but two just makes it take too long with how much the boss gets beefed up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So you can get your souls back after you die, but your max HP is permanently lowered? No way to get it back at all?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nihilarian posted:

So you can get your souls back after you die, but your max HP is permanently lowered? No way to get it back at all?

Human Effigy turns you human again and reverses all HP lost.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

There is also an item later that Trivializes this mechanic

Edit: For the guy below me I mean the Rings of Protection

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 25, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stormgale posted:

There is also an item later that Trivializes this mechanic

Actually, there's two (a small and big version) if you're talking about what I am: The White Soapstones

If so, Adder could have already gotten the smaller, cheaper version.

Either way he hasn't died nearly enough to really warrant worrying about his lost HP.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kloro posted:

Well, the blacksmith does just say "I moved all my stuff into this empty house and then someone locked it." So she didn't steal the blacksmith's key, he just put his stuff in her house.

the idiot also "got locked out of my house" while sitting right under an open window. Just ... climb in that way you doofus. You're a blacksmith, I'm sure you've got a crowbar or somesuch to pry open the door.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

double nine posted:

the idiot also "got locked out of my house" while sitting right under an open window. Just ... climb in that way you doofus. You're a blacksmith, I'm sure you've got a crowbar or somesuch to pry open the door.

He has, but it's inside the house :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

double nine posted:

He also suffers from Souls NPCitis, abject apathy.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 25, 2015

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

Be wary of boulder.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I always feel like that boulder trap should be more... threatening than it actually is? It's really obvious and there's only a limited number, unlike Sen's in DS1

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vicas posted:

I always feel like that boulder trap should be more... threatening than it actually is? It's really obvious and there's only a limited number, unlike Sen's in DS1

Non-threatening boulder trap is a staple in the Souls games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't know if it is meant as a reference or not, but seeing Cale there always reminds me of this guy from King's Field.

You even get a map from him (indirectly; you find it on the corpse of his son later on).

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Vicas posted:

I feel like it serves its purpose pretty well. It's still in the "beginner area", so I think it's more about teaching the player that these traps exist and you need to pay attention when venturing into new areas. One time I got a steam message right as I was about to go into the cave and I spaced for a second and got flattened. The boulder definitely hurts like it should.

However, I must confess: I'm a little bit perplexed about how Cale got into that part of the cave in the first place. By my estimations he would have needed to either become paper thin to fit through the passage past the boulder, or clambered his way in from the ledge with the Amber Herbs on it. It is imperative that he find the proper place to do his daydreaming, I guess.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Dazzling Addar posted:

However, I must confess: I'm a little bit perplexed about how Cale got into that part of the cave in the first place. By my estimations he would have needed to either become paper thin to fit through the passage past the boulder, or clambered his way in from the ledge with the Amber Herbs on it. It is imperative that he find the proper place to do his daydreaming, I guess.
Maybe the trap didn't trigger on him, or it triggered and didn't hit him.

Though now the confusing part is the bolder that didn't (or did) hit you must've somehow gone past him while he was on the ground right in its path??? Well actually it looks like he might be safe on the spot where he is, but seeing a bounder go past should elicit some sort of response, especially when someone comes up right the way the boulder went.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Audience++ This LP looks interesting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I need to get back and finish this sometime, but will most likely wait for that fancy pants update down the line.

I couldn't decide if I should feel badass compared to DS1 for plowing through areas and bosses with unupgraded easy access gear (Giant spiders? I suppose I better go from +0 to +3!), or like a fragile baby man by comparison because even with 1k hitpoints and as much armor I could wear without flopping around, taking more than one hit in a row between heals was the fast track to "You died" for a lot of enemies and bosses. Basically, that I had a lot less leeway for me to screw around outside of robotically adhering to safe and efficient patterns compared to my :histdowns: mostly blind experience in the prior game.

Good luck with the LP, and the thread contents you don't post yourself. Me, I might try to remind myself what "Get Adequate" feels like... And then ruin it all by getting the barbed club because darn it, I think it looks cool.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

I need to get back and finish this sometime, but will most likely wait for that fancy pants update down the line.

I couldn't decide if I should feel badass compared to DS1 for plowing through areas and bosses with unupgraded easy access gear (Giant spiders? I suppose I better go from +0 to +3!), or like a fragile baby man by comparison because even with 1k hitpoints and as much armor I could wear without flopping around, taking more than one hit in a row between heals was the fast track to "You died" for a lot of enemies and bosses. Basically, that I had a lot less leeway for me to screw around outside of robotically adhering to safe and efficient patterns compared to my :histdowns: mostly blind experience in the prior game.

Neither, since the game is balanced much more similarly to Demon's Souls than Dark Souls. Rather than there being a linear path balanced to you having a good weapon for that point, this is a lot more open in where you can go, so a decent +0-5 or so weapon can last you for a while. And like Demon's Souls, enemies are dangerous because they just do a shitton of damage, tying into the main threat of death (aside form gravity) being not getting a chance to heal as opposed to not having any healing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This becomes especially obvious if you're exploring enough to get a billion estus shards (and the game will never stop piling lifegems on you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

I feel like it serves its purpose pretty well. It's still in the "beginner area", so I think it's more about teaching the player that these traps exist and you need to pay attention when venturing into new areas. One time I got a steam message right as I was about to go into the cave and I spaced for a second and got flattened. The boulder definitely hurts like it should.

Personally, I figured that Cale set up the rock himself to prevent being disturbed while digging in the dirt, and then in his absent mind forgot that he had.

• Locked thread