Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wait, so what is the relationship between the plot and main characters of Dark Souls 1 and 2, if any? Besides being cursed undead I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they only really touch at the end.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

paragon1 posted:

Wait, so what is the relationship between the plot and main characters of Dark Souls 1 and 2, if any? Besides being cursed undead I mean.

They live in the same world(s) where time is funky and weird, and DS2 guy comes a couple hundred/thousand years after DS1 guy. That is the entire relationship.

Oh, and to upgrade his estus flask, DS2 guy tosses ashes into a bonfire that are hinted may have formerly been DS1 guy. Or some other guy who rebuilt the world since the DS-world is basically in a constant cycle of "poo poo sucks, time and space are wonky and every now and then an rear end in a top hat from a parallel dimension tries to stick a knife in you or kick you off a cliff. Maybe this next zombie guy can make the world suck a bit less before he goes insane from being undead."

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

paragon1 posted:

Ah, that would be telling, wouldn't it? Truth be told, the writers themselves seem to be a little unsure of these details and an uncharacteristically shoddy translation obfuscates the truth even more. Either way, we'll get to it later. A lot later. For now, the important thing to remember is that 2 takes place in the same world as 1, separated by centuries, or even millennia. If something doesn't make sense, you can probably explain it with "time and space are convoluted". It's a bit lazy but it's the only way to explain certain nonsensical events.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
I prefer to see the stories of any of the Souls games as being more about themes and concepts than straight narratives. I mean, you spend each game fighting representations of Big Ideas as bosses and metaphors as rank-and-file enemies. If you try to make a traditional story arc out of that stuff, you'll get... exactly what people do with the Souls series now: speculative lore videos on YouTube and long threads of people tossing around fan theories.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

paragon1 posted:

(I've only seen Geop's LP of DS1 and this one of DS2 so take all this with a grain of salt...)

Well a character a few updates ago mentioned something about a war and some giants, maybe some jerks from DS1 decided to go on a jolly crusade? Trees seemed pretty important in Lordran and there's plenty of dead giants turning into trees around...

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

paragon1 posted:

"Dark Souls 1 got stupid popular, far more so than Demon's Souls, got us recognition and money; we'd like that again. We'll even throw in some of the parts of Dark Souls 1 we think people like without understanding why, exactly, they like them."

A big problem I realised I have with Dark Souls 2 is that, unlike Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, animation priority doesn't exist. At least not all the time. Every action in previous games you were committed to unless something smacked you out of it, and if you pushed a button to do something in the last second or so of another action's animation, you would perform that action as well.

From simple things like gestures (you can't queue up gestures, yet you can roll/backstep out of them at any point) to more meaningful gameplay concepts like fog doors and levers, it bugs me constantly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

frozentreasure posted:

"Dark Souls 1 got stupid popular, far more so than Demon's Souls, got us recognition and money; we'd like that again. We'll even throw in some of the parts of Dark Souls 1 we think people like without understanding why, exactly, they like them."

A big problem I realised I have with Dark Souls 2 is that, unlike Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, animation priority doesn't exist. At least not all the time. Every action in previous games you were committed to unless something smacked you out of it, and if you pushed a button to do something in the last second or so of another action's animation, you would perform that action as well.

From simple things like gestures (you can't queue up gestures, yet you can roll/backstep out of them at any point) to more meaningful gameplay concepts like fog doors and levers, it bugs me constantly.

My real big problem is how enemies spin like loving tops. I realize that many enemies were a bit on the easy side to chump in DaS1 but in DaS2 they "fixed" this by making the vast majority of enemies with a big, slow windup spin around like tops. Think you dodged that attack? Nope. For the most part bosses at least don't do this, but there are some really nasty exceptions to the rule.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
It's really obvious when they walk slow, but spin faster than their legs are moving so they sort of slide-turn.

Or when their torso twists in a really odd-looking way due to the armor..

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Bonus Update~

How might Hal have handled things under different circumstances? Expert Swordsman Samuelle looks at other ways to deal with bosses.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hahahaha, that ballista trick. :allears:

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
Since I can't play DS2 for poo poo, I've never made it to the pursuer. But I've always been wondering why in no LP I watched anyone ever uses tha drat ballistae on him. Is it that hard to get him in front of one without parrying him?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

anthrax posted:

Since I can't play DS2 for poo poo, I've never made it to the pursuer. But I've always been wondering why in no LP I watched anyone ever uses tha drat ballistae on him. Is it that hard to get him in front of one without parrying him?

It's not easy, but at the same time speedrunners manage to do it 10 out of 10 times, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Also, Samuelle needs to look into becoming a full-time pugilist. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Funny thing about that ballista, if you're playing co-op, it can hurt the co-op buddy too! Guess who got shot when he and his buddy figured out the ballista was interactable? :shepface:

inthesto posted:

It's not easy, but at the same time speedrunners manage to do it 10 out of 10 times, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

:agreed:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Guess who got shot when he and his buddy figured out the ballista was interactable? :shepface:

guess who does this whenever they get summoned for the Pursuer. :smuggo:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

inthesto posted:

I'll go ahead and disagree, it's actually absurdly easy if you know the setup. I suck at Dark Souls as a rule but I can very consistently ballista the Pursuer, it's about the one speed run trick I can pull off. You do the folowing.

1: Run to the barrel by the cart immediately on entering.
2: Roll forward under his swing.
3: Run to the ballista.
4: The Pursuer always stops to wind up a ranged attack here.
5: Fire the Ballista until he dies.

The only thing to worry about is picking the right spot at 1 and it's fairly generous. No parrying or baiting the boss needed.

E: There's a good commented speed run if you want to know what the stupid speed run tricks are. Massive spoilers for the rest of the game, obviously.

Re: powerstancing, I went high strength my first time through and found it very good versus regular enemies. Powerstance attacks come out fast and stagger almost anything with big enough weapons, if you don't just one shot what you're hitting. It tends to be less useful on bosses because if you fail to stagger then the recovery times leave you open to get hit.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 31, 2015

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Powerstancing is what makes fists good in Dark souls 2. Well, that and proper scaling, but it really is the powerstancing. The powerstanced L1 is really good at breaking poise and doing a boatload of damage with the caestus. Plus it's fast enough that the recovery time is not massively long. The L2 certainly is, but that one's for style points.

I mostly find the ballistae to be a death trap, really. I don't like parrying in DS2, so I never do it, and usually in co-op I'm almost guaranteed to get shot by it and murdered because I'm actually trying to fight the boss.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

anthrax posted:

It's effective if you can time it correctly, otherwise he'll just smash it to bits, I just dodge his attacks and kick his metal rear end, that's the easier option.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

heenato posted:

Powerstancing is what makes fists good in Dark souls 2. Well, that and proper scaling, but it really is the powerstancing. The powerstanced L1 is really good at breaking poise and doing a boatload of damage with the caestus. Plus it's fast enough that the recovery time is not massively long. The L2 certainly is, but that one's for style points.

I mostly find the ballistae to be a death trap, really. I don't like parrying in DS2, so I never do it, and usually in co-op I'm almost guaranteed to get shot by it and murdered because I'm actually trying to fight the boss.

I have to wholeheartedly agree about the powerstanced L1 for the caestus. It's really quite effective and satisfying.

On the ballista though, not moving when you hear the massive KA-CHUNK of one being readied might be your own fault. (Also, that's why you get the summoned person to be the bait. :devil: )

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! A real one this time!

They have no style. They have no grace. These guys have a hole for a face.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lucatiel has the coolest outfit in the game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The Dark Dwellers have really dumb looking arms. It's hard to take their designs seriously. They look like something someone made in Spore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

D_W posted:

The Dark Dwellers have really dumb looking arms. It's hard to take their designs seriously. They look like something someone made in Spore.

The best Fromsoft monster designs are the ones that are simultaneously creepy and goofy as gently caress.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

The thing I like about the dark dwellers is that they're not really terrifying adventurer killing monsters. They're territorial but they are so completely scared witless of light and fire they seem like an organic part of what might live in a dank underground bay. In a certain way, they're kind of endearing.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

They do have a cool AI pattern. Do enemies ever fight each other in this game? It would re-enforce the dark dwellers animal-like AI if they would drag off the hollows.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

There are actually instances of enemy infighting in the game, but only in very specific areas. It isn't a universal mechanic, most enemy attacks simply do nothing to other hostile entities. Which is kind of a shame, because there are definitely some points like No-Man's Wharf where it would really add to the experience.

It's pretty cool when it does happen, though!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

D_W posted:

Honestly I think this was one of those instances of gameplay enhancing intended lore, because while that do look ridiculous, they do so much damage and inflict so much bleeding from such a long distance that the player can't help but recognize them as dangerous. I also really like how they aren't completely cowed by the light and you still have to be really careful fighting them after lighting the place up, it makes them feel more... I guess believable isn't really the word here, but it does convey the meaning I want

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Ahh, geez. The group of sleeping undead in that one room can actually be a little tricky if you're too cautious. I tried luring them out a couple times when still new to the area. (See: Rolled into a crate or something that woke them up, also.) It, uh, didn't work out so well between the three of them and the archer on top of the building. It wasn't until I hit the breaking point of 'I don't care anymooore' after so many deaths and charged in that things went smoothly. Turns out playing aggressively is sometimes the better solution!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, the Dark Dwellers always looked really creepy for me. There's something spidery about those arms how they connect to the body/head. And I'm heavily arachnophobic.
Which totes isn't the reason I keep bitching about giant spiders being an overused and boring setpiece in RPGs. Erm.
Still, No Man's Wharf is loving great and I wish more areas in the game were made with such attention to detail and inspiration.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The binoculars are really good for pure spell builds (something which I love you can do in this game, even if hexes could charitably be called overpowering) because you can use them to aim spells.

I really like this LP by the way. Souls games can bring out a lot of vitriol in some people (especially when comparisons arise :can: ) so a nice chill, comprehensive playthrough is really great.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Vicas posted:

Honestly I think this was one of those instances of gameplay enhancing intended lore, because while that do look ridiculous, they do so much damage and inflict so much bleeding from such a long distance that the player can't help but recognize them as dangerous. I also really like how they aren't completely cowed by the light and you still have to be really careful fighting them after lighting the place up, it makes them feel more... I guess believable isn't really the word here, but it does convey the meaning I want

"adds verisimilitude" is the phrase you are looking for, I think.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

The Life and Times of a Cupboard

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Using life protect rings is pretty boring, so good decision.

Also the actual name for the long-arms is Dark Stalker, fyi.

Fun fact: one of the changes in the upcoming patch is to make Chameleon work on enemies.

The Heide Knight sword is fine at hitting crystal lizards with its 1handed r1s.

Flexile Sentry is a pretty disappointing boss. For a guy with two sides, he doesn't do a good job of covering his backside (whichever one that happens to be at that moment). Some of his attack patterns hit behind him, but he can't attack independently with both sides, which sucks. Would be hard to make work properly I guess.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
At some point in the past, From released a patch that made Lucatiel actually worthwhile to summon. Beforehand, she was made out of wet cardboard and would constantly fall into the closest bottomless pit or never make it through a fogdoor. Pretty much every other NPC summon merits summoning, but it got to the point where I'd just whack her for her hat and be done with it.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh man. That item that turns you into a prop is hilarious! I wonder if there's a prop hunt multiplayer mod for the PC versaion.

A bit a of a suggestion for your commentary. I noticed a lot of breathing and you might want to put a slight gate on the commentary track or use Audacity's noise reduction tool to reduce it.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

The breathing is pretty much entirely because I'm still getting over this infernal cold. To the best of my knowledge I was already noise reducing all of it but I guess my nose is stuffier than I thought. I'll get on that.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

It's ok. I'm an audio person and tend to notice things like that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, your LP has convinced me to get back into the game! The crows were very, very kind to me at the beginning, too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Should be probably be noted that Varangians aren't fake Vikings, they're real Vikings who took a wrong turn somewhere. Guess you could call them lost Vikings.

edit: Also kinda disappointed you didn't mention the Flexile Sentry's arena gimmick, it's pretty drat cool if rather annoying.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Should be probably be noted that Varangians aren't fake Vikings, they're real Vikings who took a wrong turn somewhere. Guess you could call them lost Vikings.

edit: Also kinda disappointed you didn't mention the Flexile Sentry's arena gimmick, it's pretty drat cool if rather annoying.

That sounds like a mechanic Samuelle might tackle in the future.

The Flexile Sentry, I mean, I don't think he knows very much about transdimensional vikings.

• Locked thread