Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Trip report: Fog doors can be pesky and impenetrable at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
A big thank you to everyone who showed up to watch and participate! I think we had a pretty good stream. I have it recorded, so I'll see what I can do to edit it to presentability and post it after the next update.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

A big thank you to everyone who showed up to watch and participate! I think we had a pretty good stream. I have it recorded, so I'll see what I can do to edit it to presentability and post it after the next update.

I mean, I couldn't even watch the stream because my connection is rear end. I'll take an uncut version, if you don't mind.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
I second this. I'd like to see everything, not just the best bits.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Later than I was hoping for, Youtube did not want to cooperate.

Did you know: the greatsword was not intended for the use of normal human beings.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
You mentioned that the tracking greatsword's two handed overhead swing isn't great. You can actually control where it lands with the left thumbstick!

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

It's true. I think the reason my accuracy is so bad with the overhand slice is because I forget about that and start inputting movement commands before the animation finishes.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, the biggest problem i've found is when i'm backing up to kite an enemy and lure it in and then suddenly NOPE Leanne's gonna swing behind herself now

Though at this point she's beefed up to the point where she can one hand it and I can safely say it was worth the investment

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Don't really have anything to add other than the fact that I'm really enjoying this LP. It's refreshing to watch an LP where someone isn't trying to be clever or funny (and failing) or talking in stupid voices, or any number of other irritating things some LP'ers do. Keep up the good work, Dazzling Addar!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, I think I speak for many when I say gently caress that bonfire you ended the episode on; for reasons that will become clear come the start of the next episode.

Secondly, though, I thought that these... 'mummys' were actually some kind of weird experiment caused by infusing undead with gunpowder... or whatever black-powder is found in the bastille; seeing as the smaller ones explode, the larger ones dissolve into black-powder and those... barred kilns had the small guys in them; like they were some kind of combination between a mixing bowl/chemist's kiln and a cell.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Because you asked for it!

The results of friday's stream, in all of its unedited, unprofessional glory. Cliffnotes version: we beat up some gargoyles and got a key and got into a lot of fights.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Haven't played DS2 in a long time. All I have to say for now is this...

:getin:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The stream archive is great, but the game audio is a bit loud. I haven't watched it all the way through yet though.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, that's something unfortunate that happened while streaming, it screwed with my audio levels unexpectedly. I'm considering going and adding some captions for when I'm fighting the gargoyles. Every stream is a learning experience, so now I know to turn the game down the next time I'm live.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Great video, but I have to disagree with you on the gargoyles. I utterly loved that fight my first time through, as it came as such a surprise - especially when the third gargoyle joined the battle. I was literally yelling in delight, and managing to beat it the first time through just added to my enjoyment.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
Your solo gargoyle fight was impressive. Well done.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You're still splitting that up into regular videos, right?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Uh... Ok I was just replying DS2 with a second character becasue of this thread, but there's something VERY different in the chest in the cartographer's house. Instead of that item which can re-set your stats, I got a Giant Club, a Blacksteel Katana, a longsword (which I think is magic) and the Murakumo. Is THAT typical?!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 9, 2015

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Samovar posted:

Uh... Ok I was jsut replying DS2 with a second character becasue of this thread, but there's something VERY different in the chest in the cartographer's house. Instead of that item which can re-set your stats, I got a Giant Club, a Blacksteel Katana, a longsword (which I think is magic) and the Murakumo. Is THAT typical?!

Part of the Scholar of the First Sin update. Those were all reskins previously only available around the release of the three DLCs.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's really a shame we didn't manage to summon MikeLitoris

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
On the other hand one of the grey spirits was Thrillho, and that made me smile once I figured it out.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
MikeLitoris was needed elsewhere. Very popular, that one.

Also, Lost Bastille is one of the areas I dread. The only thing that makes up for it is the sheer amount of times you can make an enemy waltz right into a bottomless pit. In fact, all the royal swordsmen dicking around before the sentinels are the best for this. Just run back over the bridge and run around until everyone has finally walked right off an edge. Makes the level so much easier for a moment.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

You're still splitting that up into regular videos, right?

I was thinking about maybe making a Highlights version later, but everyone was I talked to was keen on seeing the whole thing so I posted that first. I'll go ahead and start working on an edited version that's just Actual Progress (however little of it was made in that hour).

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Oh phew. I was afraid they would have done some kinda bullshit like going "Okay. One of the items in the pool for the tower covenant is...rubbish or a smooth and silky stone" like they did with the forest in DS1, but if the pool is just chunks, Twinkling, and Dragon bones then I'm okay with it. Slightly annoying that it's not as consistent a way to get titanite chunks, but if the alternatives are an easier way to get twinkling and dragon bones, then Hot drat, sign me up.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I can't say for absolute certain, but my experiences with the bellringer covenant, as well as a lot of other people's since the patch, indicates that titanite chunks are still far and away the most common drop. The major change is that hosts get goodies now too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kloro posted:

Great video, but I have to disagree with you on the gargoyles. I utterly loved that fight my first time through, as it came as such a surprise - especially when the third gargoyle joined the battle. I was literally yelling in delight, and managing to beat it the first time through just added to my enjoyment.

:hfive: Same here; the initial reaction of "oh this again" was just the perfect setup for the gargolye-gangbang of a punchline (beat them first time as well :smug:) Incredibly tense and enjoyable fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

heenato posted:

Oh phew. I was afraid they would have done some kinda bullshit like going "Okay. One of the items in the pool for the tower covenant is...rubbish or a smooth and silky stone" like they did with the forest in DS1, but if the pool is just chunks, Twinkling, and Dragon bones then I'm okay with it. Slightly annoying that it's not as consistent a way to get titanite chunks, but if the alternatives are an easier way to get twinkling and dragon bones, then Hot drat, sign me up.

This plus Rusted Coins being absurdly good now means they've fixed a lot of the major problems I've had with the game. If they actually straight up get rid of SM in the Scholar of the First Sin versions, I'll be a super happy campy (several months down the line after I'm finished with Bloodborne).

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Back to business. Let's actually accomplish something this time.

On the value of twigs

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I thought our new pyromancy friend sounded familiar, and I looked her up and turns out she is in fact Fiora from Xenoblade (Carina Reeves, if you want to look it up yourself). This is pretty neat I think, especially since the outfit selection in that game is even more wild (there is sadly no samurai helmet/dinosaur feet/ demon face gauntlet/scale chestpiece costume in Dark Souls II).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 10, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I thought our new pyromancy friend sounded familiar, and I looked her up and turns out she is in fact Fiora from Xenoblade (Carina Reeves, if you want to look it up yourself). This is pretty neat I think, especially since the outfit selection in that game is even more wild (there is sadly no samurai helmet-dinosaur feet- demon face gauntlet-scale armour costume in Dark Souls II).

Hahahahahah ohhhhh my god

tbh, that's a nice lead in to something I really do like about DS2: most of the voice actors are legitimately British, instead of American putting on a fake British accent, and it allows for a really wide range of accents rather than the binary Proper English Nobleman vs Cockney Slang thing you get with Americans doing British voices. My girlfriend and I actually got talking about this yesterday because she loves real British voices in games, and we managed to trace down the accent for a character who hasn't appeared yet (Magerold). It was actually really interesting because a lot of the voices in this game have a lot of depth to them, and they use regional accents extensively to differentiate all these characters that appear and sort of help fill out their character even with relatively short snippets of dialogue. I think it's a really neat touch

Vicas fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 10, 2015

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

Genocyber posted:

This plus Rusted Coins being absurdly good now means they've fixed a lot of the major problems I've had with the game. If they actually straight up get rid of SM in the Scholar of the First Sin versions, I'll be a super happy campy (several months down the line after I'm finished with Bloodborne).
Oh? They made rusted coins better? I assume it changed the increase in drop rate. So what is it now?

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

If laughing at the dumb skeleton jokes is wrong, I don't want to be right. :colbert: :skeltal:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ManlyGrunting posted:

(there is sadly no samurai helmet/dinosaur feet/ demon face gauntlet/scale chestpiece costume in Dark Souls II).

Well, rearrange a few of the nouns, and...

:v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^ best helm.

:stare: That was a ridiculously close finish on the Lost Sinner.

As far as the Sinner's Rise bonfire bullshit goes, I always thought it was meant to teach you that enemies eventually despawn if you kill them enough, in case you hadn't been reading guides and/or had rushed through areas prior. Like you said it's the one area in the Souls games that does that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the Old Sinner was where I started to be convinced that DS2 isn't all that is cracked up to be back when I played it. All that setup to fight a...
...big guy with a big sword. Again.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Any big guys who use... daggers? And backflip to try and backstab you

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The only time I managed to complete Lucatiel's "beat three bosses" questline, it was by using a bonfire ascetic in the Wharf to respawn the boss there and take her to defeat it again. Which fortunately counts. I don't envy you trying to do it legitimately.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Seems like there's a Big Guys In Armor With Big Weapons as bosses in this game, if you're coming from Dark Souls with the crazy variety of bosses it had it must be kinda tiresome.

Hell, the Gargoyles are kind of a welcome change of pace because they're a bunch of dudes that do a bunch flying gargoyle poo poo even if they're a callback.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I would agree that one of Dark Souls 2's weaknesses is that it sacrifices quality for quantity in terms of boss design. I like the Lost Sinner's design a lot, but it would be stronger if there weren't quite so many other Oversized People with Large Sticks, especially in the first leg of the game. The next portion of the game has some fairly strong boss design, though, so it's not all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Since we're talking about bosses, have a bonus update!

Every humiliating defeat, is a lesson.

• Locked thread