Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is part of the next game from the makers of Deadly Premonition, development house Access Games, with Swery65 once again acting as writer and director. The keyword being "part", as the current release of D4 is only season one, and the final number of seasons there will be remains unknown. Swery has said that he has written the entirety of the main mystery of this story, but the actual length of D4 in its entirety will depend on how well season one sells.

Much of the story of D4 is the story of Swery himself. While Swery has had credits on a number of games throughout his career, D4 marks the third that he has had both writer & director credits on, the previous two being Deadly Premonition and Spy Fiction. Due to that, D4 could be considered the third "Swery game". However, to most people it's only the second, as Swery's pseudonym only started to become well known after the release of Deadly Premonition and the world-record earning polarized reactions it generated. D4 would be the game that would show whether the appeal of Deadly Premonition was only a fluke, or if Swery would be able to produce another title that was able to charm audiences in the same way. In addition, with a complete lack of advertising from the publisher, Microsoft, the single selling point the game offered was that it was the next title from the creator of Deadly Premonition.

So! What can you expect from D4, then? It's a murder mystery, with a cast of charming characters, interesting conversations, and forays into the supernatural. This may sound familiar, but you know what it *doesn't* have? Combat. There is no shooting to be found here, and players who had issues with that aspect of Deadly Premonition may be interested to know that D4 is all story, no combat (occasional QTE aside).

Due to how story-heavy this game is, and also due to how short season one is, I don't really want to give any more details than that here. Well, aside from one last detail, and that is that season one does not have the resolution to the mysteries of D4. We will all have to wait for additional seasons to give us the answers to our questions. Whenever that might be.

For right now, stand in front of a mirror, strike a pose, and dive back into the mind of Swery!

Videos

p.1 - David Young - Youtube | Download
p.2 - Clam Chowder - Youtube | Download
p.3 - Flight 117 - Youtube | Download
p.4 - Three Ds - Youtube | Download
p.5 - A Chat with Zapatero - Youtube | Download
p.6 - Searching for Rabbit - Youtube | Download
p.7 - Time and Place - Youtube | Download
p.8 - Belong to the Past - Youtube | Download
p.9 - On the Trail - Youtube | Download
p.10 - The 4th D - Youtube | Download

Little Peggy's Letters

01 - Sep.14.2009
02 - Jan.22.2009
03 - Mar.24.2002
04 - Nov.2.2002
05 - Oct.4.2009
06 - Nov.9th.2004
07 - Aug.3rd 2010
08 - Oct.16th.2010
09 - Apr.20th.2003
10 - Jan.7th.2010

Scrapbooks

01 - 2014 Winter Olympics Ice Hockey News
02 - Mickey Norman's Twilight Report 1
03 - The Workings of the Brain: Neurons and Synapses
04 - History of World Cinema: The Cannes Film Festival
05 - Disaster for the Stanley Cup, Part 1
06 - Disaster for the Stanley Cup, Part 2
07 - Designer Interview: Cutting Edge and Individualistic Designers Duncan & Sukey
08 - Column: Ice Hockey, The Frozen Duel
09 - Column: Tourism Spots - Verizon Center
10 - Milan Fall & Winter Collection 2013
11 - Memorable Hockey Scenes #4: Miracle on the Ice - A Young Girl's Wish Stops the Fight (2002)
12 - Mickey Norman's Twilight Report #2
13 - "BitJewels" create a new economy
14 - Rotoscoping is Still Popular!
15 - Cats Blend into Society
16 - A New Star Rises in Fenway Park!
17 - Mickey Norman's Twilight Report 3
18 - Science Into The Future - Crossing The Walls Of Time -
19 - Why is "Bit Jewel" Free From Inflation?
20 - Movie Night: How Glass Plays a Vital Supporting Role in the Movies
21 - The Galapagos of the Far East, Japan
22 - A Government Conspiracy? The Terrifying Truth Behind Man-Made Lightning
23 - Miraculous Medicine No. 26: From "Healing Drug" to "Devil's Plaything"
24 - Column: Film History

Kaysen's Reports

01 - The Discovery of B
02 - The Case of the Bodies in the Mystic River
03 - Serial Deaths Related to the New Drug
04 - The Rise of New "Blood Series" Strains
05 - Crimes in Boston
06 - One Era Ends, The Next Begins... The Arrival of "Real Blood"

supergreatfriend fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Reserved for future use.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This game is literally the only Xbone exclusive I want.

Life is suffering.

Or maybe... life is beautiful?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
Yesssss. A day early even!

I've been dying to see this game since its surprise release and held out (first in hope you'd LP it, then in anticipation for the LP to start) on really learning anything about the game until now. *clicks*

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Ah yes, a supergreatfriend LP, I'm looking forward to your run of "Swery presents The Wolf Among Us".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hell yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, so Bawstun. So very very Bawstun. Looking forward to this.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Been looking forward to seeing a full playthrough of this, and no one more appropriate to do it.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
So I guess we're going to be hearing a lot of this.

Also, David sure is a.. unique personality:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This game is very much my poo poo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh good, I was just about to go to bed and now I have to watch this first. Thanks SGF :saddowns:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Another good game from a good LPer. Hell yeah.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I love this game so much. I really hope Swery gets to make more of it. He's such a nice guy. Looking forward to each update :).

Also those dumb fortune cookies are probably my favorite part of the game.

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 23, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Anyone who just goes around pushing owls deserves what they get. :colbert:

Phasoms
Jan 27, 2004

<GLOMP>
Gonna call it right now. David killed Little Peggy while under the influence of drugs, but the 'real' villain and endgame boss is the first fat guy to show up with said drugs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Any catchy whistle tunes in this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

I used to whistle this in the car.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 23, 2015

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
It's a shame I'm unable to play this due to choice of console; it looks so charmingly weird, and I loved Deadly Premonition.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lotish posted:

Any catchy whistle tunes in this one?

the title theme is pretty fantastic but you'll have to wait to see it

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Looking forward to the next two years of this LP.

(Nah, I'm just kidding)

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

So I guess we're going to be hearing a lot of this.

Also, David sure is a.. unique personality:

is your av from that russian game? drat, what was the name of it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is very, very weird. In a good way.

The opening reminds me quite a bit of Nier's. Nothing like the imminent death of a young girl in a snowy environment to set a mood.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I desperately want a game where David Young and Nahman Jayden team up and solve crimes in Bahstan.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Not relevant now, but kind of curious: What's the LP Subforum rule on episodic games? If D4 Episode 2 were to come out in the middle of this LP, would you be able to carry right into it, SGF, or would you have to wait for a while like with a new game release?

I ask now because I've never seen an SA LP of an in-progress episodic title before, only already-finished ones like Alan Wake.

Also, WOW D4... It sure is fuckin' SWERY in here already.

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Been looking forward to seeing a full playthrough of this, and no one more appropriate to do it.

Agreed. Thanks so much for posting it early!

Was that a figure of Willie next to the TV? :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ariamaki posted:

Not relevant now, but kind of curious: What's the LP Subforum rule on episodic games? If D4 Episode 2 were to come out in the middle of this LP, would you be able to carry right into it, SGF, or would you have to wait for a while like with a new game release?

I ask now because I've never seen an SA LP of an in-progress episodic title before, only already-finished ones like Alan Wake.

Also, WOW D4... It sure is fuckin' SWERY in here already.

There's no three month rule anymore.

Cedric
Nov 17, 2007

"Hard work is simply the refuge of people who have nothing whatever to do."
I haven't posted on here in like 6 years.
But I am gonna post now to tell you I've been looking forward to this for a while. Not only is SGF one of my favorite, most relaxing and informative LPers, I've also been waiting for a new Swery game to experience since DP. Sadly I have no XBox One and don't know anyone who does.

It is my sincere hope that this LP won't only show us the game but might, perhaps, animate quite a few fellows to buy it just so we can see more Swery games in the future. Sadly genius is often not appreciated in its time.

Let's just hope SGF knows he is under no pressure! He already made the DP LP. He has nothing to prove. Relax, SGF, and take your time showing us something few of us would otherwise get to see.

And with that I'm out! All the very best!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Half the time I hate this game's graphical style, the other half it looks amazing. I don't really understand why I feel this way.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

After watching the video I'm speculating:

I'm thinking it wasn't "Look for D" but instead "Look 40" though I don't know what that would mean.

It is entirely possible I read/watch too many murder mysteries though :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
DANGER: THIN ICE :bang:

I've written enough safety guidelines to know people don't care.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Okay speculation and over-analysing go here:

So. In the bathtub, we saw a baggie of red seeds very much like those from Deadly Premonition.
On the corkboard when looking at cases, one of them mentioned Forrest Kaysen.
Someone commented on Youtube that in the cartoon we briefly saw, Sebastian the Sleuth pointed at the other, fatter detective he's friends with and said "The purrpetrator is you!". Meanwhile, on the wall near the telephone, we saw a photograph depicting what looked like David getting a bro-hug from a heavyset man...

I'm almost suspicious that this might actually be set in the same continuity as Deadly Premonition...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Also note, that one of the first things that Young says about himself is that he hates drugs and he hates chewing gum. What do we see him do immediately after saying that? Blow a bubble. I'll bet he's on that real blood stuff - and I wouldn't be surprised if it is from the red seeds, either.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
What exactly happens when you run out of stamina? Do you just get a game over?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

V!ntar posted:

What exactly happens when you run out of stamina? Do you just get a game over?

You restart from the last checkpoint. Not sure exactly how close or far apart checkpoints typically are in this game though.

goatse.cx posted:

is your av from that russian game? drat, what was the name of it

Planet Alcatraz, yep.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I love how detailed and real-feeling David's apartment was. Even the view out the window seemed just like what you'd see in some outlying area of Boston (although apparently Thompsonville, MA, which I've literally never heard of in my entire life, is a village in Newton, so it probably wouldn't look like that.)

There's so much stuff to look at and interact with and observe, too! It's kind of Gone Home-ish.

I hope that girl from the tutorial is okay. :ohdear:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
E: Wrong thread

E2: My take is that her father died when he rushed unto the ice after her. That's the vibe I got at least.

Joda fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 23, 2015

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Well, you're in luck. Spoiler only with regards to what has been shown so far Examine the birth marks under the left eye on the little girl, and the ghost/hallucination/memory

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ulvirich posted:

Well, you're in luck. Spoiler only with regards to what has been shown so far Examine the birth marks under the left eye on the little girl, and the ghost/hallucination/memory

Little Peggy also looks pretty similar to how she did when she was a kid. I don't think it's meant to be a twist or anything that David somehow dived into his dead wife's memories.

Something I'm already appreciating about D4 is how effectively it's establishing David's character. Here's a Bostonian detective who's obsesses over his dead wife like the guy from Memento but also collects records, loves hockey, and buys fortune cookies from the weirdest fortune cookie company in the world.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm....

?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ulvirich posted:

Then in that case it turns out she's not okay at all since she's super dead. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
One of my favorite things about D4 is it's visual style. A lot of the textures look like they were painted with watercolor, for example. My favorite effect is the way translucence is shown, most noticeable when David is looking at the tequila bottle:

D4's graphics always stood out to me because Deadly Premonition looks so primitive and even Spy Fiction looks pretty bland. D4 isn't really the best looking game but the stylized graphics are a big improvement from Swery's previous work. I imagine a lot of it has to do with Microsoft's involvement.

Wordnumber fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread