Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

Is the extra half hour chock full of adventure and excitement? Or is just sloshed together footage to make me want to invest an extra half hour of my time? It says it has a "Fade to Black" ending, which is making me iffy, but on the other hand, what if there's something really important that I'll miss watching the shorter version? Help me fellow goons, goonettes and troons!

Also, thanks for not letting me use the '½' character in my thread title, now my knowledge of ascii tables is completely useless Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
watch the best scenes on youtube then read a book instead because tv and film are for pleb scrublords. you dont want to be a sscrublord do you

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
the shorter version is better, the extra scenes are mostly pretty lovely TBH

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Damo posted:

watch the best scenes on youtube then read a book instead because tv and film are for pleb scrublords. you dont want to be a sscrublord do you

is there an anime adaptation?

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Apocalypse Now is an important movie to watch, but only if you know why. Most people these days have no patience to understand why the movie matters. It's a cornerstone in cinematic technique AS WELL as a historical one.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
i think it's a really long scene at a french colonial plantation

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
The original 2 1/2 hour film is good enough without the Redux. It's kind of pointless since the original film was amazing on its own to begin with.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Agreeing with the redux haters. Was excited for the Redux in 2001, then finally saw it and the added scenes really interrupt the flow of the already long film.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

watch the long version, it's not like you were going to do anything with the extra half hour

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It does serve a purpose as it adds some pretty surreal rear end scenes which enhances the dreamlike quality of the film, but besides that it bloats it somewhat, it's the price you pay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I watch Redux, but to be honest you probably won't even get why its the better version until you see the original cut, and because the extra scenes are fairly slow it might even make the experience worse. Watch the original cut, if you like the movie watch Redux the next time.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch this film.

FIve times and counting

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wolfsheim posted:

the shorter version is better, the extra scenes are mostly pretty lovely TBH

Yeah, I ended up fast forwarding through the entire French plantation scene.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, I ended up fast forwarding through the entire French plantation scene.
you missed naked French chick doing opium

oh and super important monologue about why America would and could never win the war

vvvvvvv
lol

site fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 23, 2015

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
did u know that the reason you cant really see marlon brando very clearly in the film is bc he had recently underwent breast augmentation surgery so francis ford coppola (yes, the wine guy -- he makes movies) had to hide him in the shadows. pretty neat huih

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The movies called Apocoplyse Now but it's set in the past. What the heck??

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Korthal posted:

Also, thanks for not letting me use the '½' character in my thread title, now my knowledge of ascii tables is completely useless Lowtax.

You can't go into space with fractions, dipshit. Like, you can't go to the moon. What are you going to land on, eh? 5/6's? 7/8's? That's dialectic physics, man.

I prefer Redux. It is my favorite movie of all time, either way.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yup

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

whatever version has the internal monologue, is he a replicant who gives a poo poo

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
oh look it's babby's first Important Movie, have a revelatory experience and enjoy liking it on facebook 5 minutes in

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its like the first time i listened to "graceland"

last year

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Apocalypse Now! was the first movie I ever saw on DVD. My dad who rented it couldn't figure out the DVD player at first so we watched the opening scene at the hotel room 12 times before he managed to get it to play.

As for the OP's question, watch the normal cut first if you can, then Redux. Or don't, I don't loving know.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

No, you should watch the original five hour print.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Serious post, here's what you miss if you don't watch the Redux:

Some additional (great) voice-overs by Cpt. Williard regarding Kurtz. An awesome and trippy scene where they stop at a leaderless Army outpost and gently caress two Playboy Bunnies from the USO show who are stranded and tripping on Acid (seriously), Chef makes fun of Mr. Clean for being a virgin. A scene at a French Plantation where that great French actor (forgot his name) explains a bit about the history of French Indochina including the folly of Dien Bien Phu over dinner. Williard has sex with a French woman after smoking Opium with her, she explains some things about the Duality of Man. A bit of extended ending with more footage of Kurtz. Also, after the whole "Charlie can't surf" thing, Williard and the crew steal Col. Kilgore's surfboard for some reason and hide out further down the river, smoking weed and getting chased by a tiger.

They all add to the movie significantly, in my opinion, except for the surfboard-stealing scene. It doesn't make sense plot-wise or sit well with the theme of those characters, and it makes Williard look some kind of immature frat boy prankster, instead of a burnt out, crazed, PTSD ridden alcoholic.. It's way too light hearted and doesn't fit with the rest of the film.

Let me know what you think after you finish the film. It is, like I said, my favorite movie.

edit:

Octy posted:

No, you should watch the original five hour print.

Should I watch this? I've seen the movie (and Redux) probably between 20-30 times by now, over the years. I still watch it at least a couple times per year. I've seen Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse a few times, and I just finished watching the biography of John Milius too. I'm a pretty dedicated fan. How rough is the workprint? Is it actually watchable?

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 23, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I prefer Redux (the 3 hour cut) to the original, but if you've never seen it then I recommend you go for the the shorter original version first. If you like it then give the Redux version a whirl as the extra scenes really do add to the narrative nicely. if you don't like it then don't bother, since the additional material isn't going to make enough of a difference that you'll change your mind.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I wanna watch the the version that contains Martin Sheens coke induced heart attack.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Watch the 2 1/2 hour version. The director's cut is just 30 more minutes of the trippy monolith scene.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STONE OF MADNESS posted:

Important Movie

lol

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

U shud read the book.

K thx.

-Anorexic Sea Turtle

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Watch the original cut, then Redux. They're both good, but the original is better to me, I find the extra sequences by and large make the film really bloated and the added scenes with Marlon Brando at the end are detrimental to why his character works as an antagonist. A few extra lines of dialogue are good, mostly the stuff with Robert Duvall, but I prefer the original cut.

Also, apparently the workprint is extremely long, unwieldy, and boring, like they extended the Ride of the Valkyries sequence to 30+ minutes. I think the Atlantic did an article on it a number of years ago.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
LOL at everyone saying "read the book". It's a different work, set in a different time and place, with a different set of reference points.

You can do either one or both in either order, whatever suits your tastes and lifestyle.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Riosan posted:

Watch the original cut, then Redux. They're both good, but the original is better to me, I find the extra sequences by and large make the film really bloated and the added scenes with Marlon Brando at the end are detrimental to why his character works as an antagonist. A few extra lines of dialogue are good, mostly the stuff with Robert Duvall, but I prefer the original cut.

Also, apparently the workprint is extremely long, unwieldy, and boring, like they extended the Ride of the Valkyries sequence to 30+ minutes. I think the Atlantic did an article on it a number of years ago.

Yeah, I haven't seen the workprint but I've had it sitting on my HDD for about a year. I'll watch it out of curiosity one day when I actually have five hours of my life to waste.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
skip this and just watch captain america or the avengers or guardians of the galaxy

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch this film.

FIve times and counting

This is how I feel about Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless.

Still can't finish it.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
i'm about to watch "satan's lil helper" on amazon pri ...apoco now is too artsy at ANY length

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pube Factory posted:

i think it's a really long scene at a french colonial plantation

Yeah. The additional 30 minutes is 90% French plantation and 5% trading sex with playboy bunnies for fuel.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The French Plantation scene is pretty interesting, but it stops the flow of the movie. I'd watch it separately after you have seen the original cut.

In Redux they also add a lame scene where Willard steals Kilgore's surf board.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh. I didn't know there was an even longer cut. I might have to look into that. Assuming it's floating around on torrent sites or something?

open container
Sep 16, 2008
which one has the "IT WAS A GOOD SURF BOARD AND I LIKED IT" cuz that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
After watching both versions several times, I like the Redux better, and so it is the version I watch now. Yes it has a bit more bloat, but it's fleshed out and provides a bit more background, if you watched the short version and crave that sort of thing.

I had forgotten that the Medevac/Bunny scene was only in the Redux. The way the parties talk past each other while preparing to have sex is very powerful. Like all Americans in Vietnam (save for Kurtz and maybe Willard), they are clearly trying to attain some semblance of normality and human contact. The fact that each person has there own definition of normal, and proceeds to force it on the other, regardless of their willingness to participate, is a perfect allegory for the war itself.

The plantation scene adds some great surrealist imagery, as well as some historical background, if you can bear it.

Watch 'em both if you need to dip your toes in the water. Or just belly-flop into the Redux, it's a wild ride.

• Locked thread