Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Powercrazy posted:

Saudi Arabia is probably the only country in the world that is worse in all ways then the US.

You have never been outside of the US.

Its not a question.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If Saudi Arabia can behead people as a matter of state policy and still be allies, maybe it's not that hard to make peace with ISIS instead of going around doing wars.

At what loving point does ISIL even remotely in vision peace with anyone?

How loving stupid are you? Seriously. I want to know what kind of brain damage, mental capacity impairment or just lack of ability to pay attention you suffer from.

ISIL will not make peace with anyone. Especially the US. Either we leave them be long enough to let them stumble a bit too close to Israel (who will then wipe them off the face of the earth) or we erase every last shred of evidence they ever existed. Thats the two options with them.

Also:

lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

ISIS doesn't behead the right people. If ISIS started beheading militant islamists, jihadis, communists, and accepted the right of Israel to exist, then it wouldn't be ISIS.

Unfortunately, individuals like yourself refuse to distinguish between a justified beheading and an unjust beheading.

cmon this is lazy even for you

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Didn't IS release videos where they burned and stomped on Palestinian flags, decrying the cause as petty nationalism?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Didn't IS release videos where they burned and stomped on Palestinian flags, decrying the cause as petty nationalism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ula2YJq5K5s

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Someone doesn't have the first notion of diplomatic protocol. The House of Saud is pernicious, and we'd be much better served by rapprochement with Teheran. Still, it would serve no good to graveshit officially on the still-warm body of an official ally's monarch. Vanilla Ice seems butthurt no one is interested in self-congratulation and high-fives. Yeah, the Saudis suck. I commend you for bravely taking such a controversial position here on D&D with this OP.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Saudi Arabia is probably the only country in the world that is worse in all ways then the US.

This is simultaneously one of the most hilariously provincial and delusionally resentnik claims I've ever read here. These things keep me coming back.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Powercrazy posted:

Take a trip to superior country Sierra Leone! Just don't eat any meat you haven't butchered yourself, and don't touch anyone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

All the other countries on the peninsula are hilariously evil too like the UAE.

Basically creating a horrible rich person playground in Dubai, that doesn't have things like actual culture and history like other horrible rich people playgrounds like London/NYC.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

etalian posted:

All the other countries on the peninsula are hilariously evil too like the UAE.

Basically creating a horrible rich person playground in Dubai, that doesn't have things like actual culture and history like other horrible rich people playgrounds like London/NYC.

The Emirates definitely have culture. Cities like Dubai are crass and vulgar on the expat side, super traditional on the Emirati side. (Also a nice place for expat jobs.) They are built on the labor of indentured servitude or worse, but it's again really provincial and ignorant to say places you're never been have no culture. 'Culture' is not limited to modern Western mores. It's not necessarily good either - I'm not deeply interested in traditional Emirati culture, but it's far superior to what the Saudis have, for example.

Oman is probably the only relatively bright spot in Arabia.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, the reactions of the US and UK governments to the death of King Abdullah illustrate pretty clearly how little the the US imperial regime and its stooges actually care about the nebulous concepts of "democracy" and "human rights." I don't really have much to say about this topic, so I'm mainly just posting in order to state that I really like this article by Glenn Greenwald highlighting the contrast between the White House's reaction to the death of Hugo Chavez and the White House's reaction to the death of King Abdullah: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/23/compare-contrast-obamas-reaction-king-abdullah-hugo-chavez/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Math Debater posted:

Yeah, the reactions of the US and UK governments to the death of King Abdullah illustrate pretty clearly how little the the US imperial regime and its stooges actually care about the nebulous concepts of "democracy" and "human rights." I don't really have much to say about this topic, so I'm mainly just posting in order to state that I really like this article by Glenn Greenwald highlighting the contrast between the White House's reaction to the death of Hugo Chavez and the White House's reaction to the death of King Abdullah: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/23/compare-contrast-obamas-reaction-king-abdullah-hugo-chavez/

The House of Saud was useful to US foreign policy interests, while Chavez obviously wasn't.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Also, any likely alternative to the House of Saud would likely be much worse. Arabia is not fertile ground for liberal democracy (or Marxism - this is D&D after all) in 2015.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Ah truly, this is the best of all possible worlds, the ocean off the coast of Spain was created for drowning anabaptists

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How exactly did y'all expect Obama to react?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

Of course its always "My beheading is the only moral beheading" with you people isn't it?

Beheading communists and jihadists/militant islamists are always moral beheadings.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Please stop talking about the House of Saud, it slowly erodes my faith in the United States :qq:

But I don't see why that's a problem.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TheImmigrant posted:

Also, any likely alternative to the House of Saud would likely be much worse. Arabia is not fertile ground for liberal democracy (or Marxism - this is D&D after all) in 2015.

Has there being any real better alternatives to the House of Saud since maybe Nasserism in the 60s, or the Muslim brotherhood before whenever they got suppressed?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Sunni Arab nation state.

e:V def not.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Typo posted:

Has there being any real better alternatives to the House of Saud since maybe Nasserism in the 60s, or the Muslim brotherhood before whenever they got suppressed?

Did Nasserism ever really take root in KSA?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

katlington posted:

Sorcerer attacks jump 70%

I was under the impression this ("sorcery") was a way for rich Saudi families to get rid of the Filipina/whatever housekeepers, c/d?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

katlington posted:

Sorcerer attacks jump 70%

That's because Obama is actually going to KSA to meet with the Head Warlock.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

TheImmigrant posted:

I am sorry, but why would you say this after making fun of that poster for their ignorance?

I apologize if you are an exile or something and have experienced his mercy or whatever.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
king abdullah founded the king abdullah university of science and technology so he is cool for all eternity~

now someone explain to me what point of the king abdullah university of science and technology is and why anyone would want to study there and not at say harvard or cambridge or some well-known marine sciences institute

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

blowfish posted:

king abdullah founded the king abdullah university of science and technology so he is cool for all eternity~

now someone explain to me what point of the king abdullah university of science and technology is and why anyone would want to study there and not at say harvard or cambridge or some well-known marine sciences institute

Because s/he was a third-rate primary student in KSA or a Gulf country, and unconnected. Those oil monarchies engage in very heavy social spending. They invest in education - stipends to spend abroad for the connected; cheap or free but low-quality institutions at home - large grants to newlyweds, etc. It acts as a sort of bribery, in which those unconnected to the elite accept not to engage in dissent or otherwise disrupt the status quo. The same tacit agreement extends to Western expats. My experiences are in the UAE and Qatar. In exchange for an excellent salary with low taxes, you agree not to engage in political activity, flout conservative Islamic values (you can drink at home or in hotel bars, and the expats in places like Dubai and Doha quietly hook up and gently caress like bunnies via Tinder and OkC) but public drunkenness is forbidden. If you are a laborer from a Third World country (South Asia for construction, Philippines and certain African countries for services), you are an indentured servant who often earns enough to send remittances home. KSA (I'm constitutionally barred from the country) is supposedly similar, but socially much less tolerant of expat behavior. I have heard it described as a paradise for gay men on the DL though.

It's a recipe for disaster, resulting in exploding populations accustomed to a high standard of living that is unsustainable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheImmigrant posted:

Because s/he was a third-rate primary student in KSA or a Gulf country, and unconnected. Those oil monarchies engage in very heavy social spending. They invest in education - stipends to spend abroad for the connected; cheap or free but low-quality institutions at home - large grants to newlyweds, etc. It acts as a sort of bribery, in which those unconnected to the elite accept not to engage in dissent or otherwise disrupt the status quo. The same tacit agreement extends to Western expats. My experiences are in the UAE and Qatar. In exchange for an excellent salary with low taxes, you agree not to engage in political activity, flout conservative Islamic values (you can drink at home or in hotel bars, and the expats in places like Dubai and Doha quietly hook up and gently caress like bunnies via Tinder and OkC) but public drunkenness is forbidden. If you are a laborer from a Third World country (South Asia for construction, Philippines and certain African countries for services), you are an indentured servant who often earns enough to send remittances home. KSA (I'm constitutionally barred from the country) is supposedly similar, but socially much less tolerant of expat behavior. I have heard it described as a paradise for gay men on the DL though.

It's a recipe for disaster, resulting in exploding populations accustomed to a high standard of living that is unsustainable.

it's basically the bread approach to keeping the populace from killing you or even just stirring the pot.

also:

quote:

Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, has praised King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia as a “strong advocate of women”, but human rights campaigners said his reign only brought marginal advances for women, while failing to secure fundamental rights of free expression, association, and assembly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Yeah, though KAUST seems to attract some westerners. Are those likely to be all expats who are already in Saudi Arabia or do people actively go there to study?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

]

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

blowfish posted:

Yeah, though KAUST seems to attract some westerners. Are those likely to be all expats who are already in Saudi Arabia or do people actively go there to study?

No idea. KSA is among the last places on earth I'd want to live. Most qualities which make Dubai tolerable (a certain cosmopolitan air, booze, beach, nightlife, sex) aren't options in KSA. I wasn't aware there was a significant number of Western students there. Maybe it has a feeder program for Aramco.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering how it was implemented they probably don't know how to disable it.

It's rare enough to be a badge of honor, nowadays.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Everyday Lurker posted:

It's rare enough to be a badge of honor, nowadays.

Nah, we should just put some deserving subforums in a "retarded forum for assholes" area again.

Which would be most of them, but hey

TheImmigrant posted:

No idea. KSA is among the last places on earth I'd want to live. Most qualities which make Dubai tolerable (a certain cosmopolitan air, booze, beach, nightlife, sex) aren't options in KSA. I wasn't aware there was a significant number of Western students there. Maybe it has a feeder program for Aramco.

I was going to say "they'd have to pay me to go", but it turns out they actually do :v:

quote:

All admitted students receive the benefits of the KAUST Fellowship which supports students for the duration of their graduate studies. The benefits of the KAUST Fellowship include:

Full tuition support
Monthly living allowance (ranging between $20,000-30,000 annual, depending on qualifications and progression through degree programs)
Housing*
Medical and dental coverage*
Relocation support

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 25, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

blowfish posted:

I was going to say "they'd have to pay me to go", but it turns out they actually do :v:

I really need to know what those asterisks refer to

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

France claiming he stood up for women everywhere, is the ultimate laugh.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I really need to know what those asterisks refer to

quote:

* Charges may apply to dependent housing and medical and dental coverage.

* our health care system may or may not be American-levels of hosed up. Come and find out!

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Nonsense posted:

France claiming he stood up for women everywhere, is the ultimate laugh.

Hey, they're just doing what they have to do to secure some more of those sweet, sweet multi-billion dollar arms.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

New Division posted:

Hey, they're just doing what they have to do to secure some more of those sweet, sweet multi-billion dollar arms.

Germany just decided not to allow any further arms deals with SA so there's no better time for the French to double down :france:

I bet Leclercs are an acceptable substitute for Leopard IIs in the main mission scenarios of running over protestors and taking potshots at technicals and Soviet era leftover tanks.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Because you get a ~$2-5 million dollar budget for setting up your lab and equipment, plus a lot of money to do research there. Had a buddy in grad school who got the offer. Since she was a woman, she declined, but having somebody willing to throw such levels of funding for starting your lab and beginning your academic career is pretty tempting stuff, especially since you can also just use some of that money to publish with a big name professor for legitimacy in your research.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Claverjoe posted:

Because you get a ~$2-5 million dollar budget for setting up your lab and equipment, plus a lot of money to do research there. Had a buddy in grad school who got the offer. Since she was a woman, she declined, but having somebody willing to throw such levels of funding for starting your lab and beginning your academic career is pretty tempting stuff, especially since you can also just use some of that money to publish with a big name professor for legitimacy in your research.

Ok, I can see how that might be tempting.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Remember how Abdullah's predecessors moved too fast with liberalization and touched off a conservative Islamic reaction? No, nobody does.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
If Crusader Kings II has taught me anything its that once the brother dies all of that decadence the male sons and nephews have will prompt an immediate decadence rebellion. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gazpacho posted:

Remember how Abdullah's predecessors moved too fast with liberalization and touched off a conservative Islamic reaction? No, nobody does.

Grand Mosque Seizure, anyone?

• Locked thread