Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCe_OdMgDs - Launch Trailer

Website | Website Splashpage (quick info) | Wikipedia
Steam page | Amazon Download
YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
Starter Guide | Wikia
Giantbomb Quicklook
Release date 24th of January (out now) for $49.99USD. 8.2GB Steam download, ~14GB install.

-What is grey goo-

Named after the hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all matter on Earth, Grey Goo is a Real Time Strategy game developed by Petroglyph Games (Starwars: Empire at War, End of Nations) with involvement from Weta Workshop and Axis Animation and published by Grey Box.

quote:

The story takes place 500 years after humans first ventured outside of the solar system. The Beta, a once-spacefaring culture, has fled with the remainder of their civilization to a planet known as Ecosystem Nine. The Goo, originally developed by humans as a tool to explore the galaxy, have emerged as a self-directing force, threatening to consume Ecosystem Nine.

In Grey Goo players can choose one of three playable factions: the Humans, the Beta, or the Goo. The Goo faction features the game's namesake, a race of self replicating nanobots that can move around the map consuming enemies and forming itself into new units. Each faction features a unique set of units, structures, and play style. The game bases itself around "macro decisions over micro management" and will feature classic RTS controls and basebuilding.

Petroglyph Games was founded by former Westwood Studios employees shortly after they were shut down. Their first game was a Starwars RTS and they followed that by making their own game based on three faction combat. In the past few years they have been releasing smaller games until they started work on an MMORTS/MOBA End of Nations, which seems to have been abandoned without release by the publisher Trion.

-Factions-

BETA - Faction information page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-r-4Lf_3LE - Beta: Guardians of Legacy Gameplay Introduction

Built from the scraps of their last starship, the Beta colony on Ecosystem 09 (Nine) is born out of necessity. Once a thriving culture, everything they craft is a reflection of their ultimate purpose: to defend their society from the chaos that threatens to consume it. Upon gathering catalyst, Nine's valuable resource, the Beta rely on their skycranes to transport supplies and construct their outposts. While highly mobile, Beta forces must connect these outposts to power hubs in order to establish their forces. Like the Beta's structures, their combat units value mobility. Beta units are expertly piloted by individual soldiers, but they are only as powerful as the hand of their commander. A skilled leader can construct multiple outposts in resource-rich or easily defensible locations to gain an advantage on the battlefield.

HUMANS - Faction information page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMcwMZrpzWY - Humans: Architects of Destiny Gameplay Introduction

After centuries of expanding into the far reaches of the Galaxy, Humanity discovers only darkness — and war. Convinced they are alone, Humans retreat back to Earth to preserve what is left of Humanity, and to end war permanently. In the process of decommissioning their instruments of war, mankind concludes that the most deadly instruments are they themselves. War is a product of human nature. They fully pull themselves above the decision-making loop, relegating the majority of action to their AI constructs until the signal arrives that reminds them of their past. With only an academic knowledge of warfare and access to the greatest technology in creation, the Human expedition on Nine must resurrect their old instruments of war and return themselves to the seat of command. Their own survival and potentially the survival of all life in the Galaxy depends on it.

GOO - Faction information page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dShqN1Zrms - Dev Diary - What is Grey Goo?

Originally engineered in the late 21st Century as an exploration tool, the Goo was the key to unlocking Humanity's passage outside of the Solar System. Able to access the inaccessible, it revealed the Galaxy's secrets and charted traversable paths stretching across the Milky Way. As the undiscovered became discovered, and the unknown disappeared, the Goo had fulfilled its purpose and was ceased...or so it was thought. More than a century has since passed, and the Goo has returned from the last remaining darkness of the Galaxy. It has altered, evolved, and is set on a path of destruction leading back to its creator.

-Gameplay-
Petroglyph have shown a few livestreams of the game before the release, many of them are on the youtube channel:

Developer faceoff, preview match: Beta Vs Goo
Developer faceoff, preview match: Human Vs Beta
Giantbomb quicklook
Gamespot E3 2014 look

-Features-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cMsA2abVT0 - 'Better Competition' Dev diary

• Fully fledged RTS game, no pay2win or microtransactions
  • 15 singleplayer missions, 5 missions for each race campaign (~45min on average according to devs)
  • Fully animated story cinematics between each mission
  • Base building, including walls
  • Resource gathering
  • 6 adaptive AI 'personalities' (think generals)
  • Offline LAN
  • Server based matchmaking
  • ELO Leaderboards
  • Level Editor for custom maps
  • Steam Workshops integration

-Launch Weekend Deal-
Purchase the game on steam during the launch weekend and receive the Special Edition "Best of Grey Goo" soundtrack from legendary video game composer Frank Klepacki (Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Dune) as performed by the Budapest Scoring Symphonic Orchestra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHDoudEsMsI - 'Creating the Soundtrack' Dev diary
OST Track previews

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hadn't heard about this until recently, but I've been missing RTS and this looks fantastic.

also:

drunkill posted:

• Fully fledged RTS game, no pay2win or microtransactions
  • Offline LAN

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE DEW, IT'S 2002 AGAIN AND I LOVE IT

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Getting this just for Klepacki's soundtrack.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Okay, just bought and downloading now. 8.2Gb download, ~14Gb install. A great note is it is still $49.99 in Australia too, no random price bump. Not sure how much it costs in Euro of Pounds, if someone posts that I'll add it to the OP later. I look forward to playing some when I wake up tomorrow.

The Beta are all new zealanders, so they are the Space Kiwis. No doubt an influence by Weta workshop, I assume they came up with some designs and probably helped the cinematics with landscapes. I was going to bump the C&C megathread but it is archived now. :(

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
ooooh poo poo the soundtrack is on Steam too for $7.99

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I had no idea about this game but it looks like an awesome return to the Westwood feel of how an RTS should be constructed. Also loving stoked that they got Frank Klepacki back!
Some of the most memorable songs from my early gaming days came from his soundtracks.

Effigy
Feb 26, 2004
There isn't anyone to help you. Only me. And I'm the Beast.

drunkill posted:

Okay, just bought and downloading now. 8.2Gb download, ~14Gb install. A great note is it is still $49.99 in Australia too, no random price bump. Not sure how much it costs in Euro of Pounds, if someone posts that I'll add it to the OP later. I look forward to playing some when I wake up tomorrow.

The Beta are all new zealanders, so they are the Space Kiwis. No doubt an influence by Weta workshop, I assume they came up with some designs and probably helped the cinematics with landscapes. I was going to bump the C&C megathread but it is archived now. :(

The accents sounded South African to me?

Played the first mission, lots of fun for a tutorial level. It's an impulse purchase i'm not regretting at all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Effigy posted:

The accents sounded South African to me?

Played the first mission, lots of fun for a tutorial level. It's an impulse purchase i'm not regretting at all.

Really sad that I am not playing this, but kickstarters are scooping up every single dime I can muster for the coming months :( I'd love to experience this new story they've got going.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Holy poo poo the OP wasn't kidding about hard missions. Beta Mission 5 is RIDICULOUS even on easy. The game is still really fun though.

DFlux fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 25, 2015

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Jake Blues posted:

I had no idea about this game but it looks like an awesome return to the Westwood feel of how an RTS should be constructed. Also loving stoked that they got Frank Klepacki back!
Some of the most memorable songs from my early gaming days came from his soundtracks.

Dude is the Audio Director for Petroglyph, I'd have been surprised if he had not made the soundtrack.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I only heard about this game today. It sounds good and I've been craving an old-school RTS but I have to wonder how many people are going to be playing it if the release is this quiet. I mean it just came out and there are only five people streaming!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Glad to see Petroglyph are still at it, a bunch of this stuff seems very imaginative.

Also Klepacki :swoon:

e: wanna play a the goo and call my enemy a beta bitch

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DFlux posted:

Holy poo poo the OP wasn't kidding about hard missions. Beta Mission 5 is RIDICULOUS even on easy. The game is still really fun though.

It's the last Beta mission (I think.) Of course it'll be hard as hell.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

It's the last Beta mission (I think.) Of course it'll be hard as hell.

It is, every faction has 5 missions.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Are these lengthy stages? 15 missions total sounds really short.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
The cutscenes for this game are absolutely amazing. I'm also looking forward to some multiplayer once I finish the campaign, I checked in real quick to see how active it is since launch and it looks like there are more and more games showing up. I'd hate to see this game's multiplayer die out due to inactivity.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm trying to wrap my head around the name 'Grey Goo'

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I remember seeing an interview with the devs in a convention and I originally didn't care until i saw it was Petroglyph running it.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are these lengthy stages? 15 missions total sounds really short.

Each mission takes about 45+ mins so yeah its a pretty lengthy story campaign.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

victrix posted:

Its explained in the OP if you've never come across the phrase before!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the names for the factions are pretty bad, I completely ignored this game until I kept hearing "it's actually the new C&C." Now the more I hear about it the more I want it. :shepspends:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

victrix posted:

This. I understand calling a faction the Grey Goo, but making that the actual title of the game? :psyduck:

When I saw the name "Grey Goo" before images and such I expected the game to be one of those funny fluid simulators or something.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well I've been playing around with the map tools and ended up remaking Red Alerts first multiplayer map, A Path Beyond. Well an adaptation of it anyway, more height variation.

I guess I'll try and finish it, although texturing will take quite a while I think. I'm about to start some basic playtesting with AI, see how they build bases and such before adding resources in the middle.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

So wait is this game good? The negative steam reviews are turning me away

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gay Hitler posted:

I'm gonna try it today, will throw back an opinion when I have one--for all that's worth

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gay Hitler posted:

The positive reviews outnumber the negatives by large margin though?

The only thing that's throwing me off at this point is that loving price, holy poo poo. :laffo:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

drunkill posted:

Well I've been playing around with the map tools and ended up remaking Red Alerts first multiplayer map, A Path Beyond. Well an adaptation of it anyway, more height variation.

I guess I'll try and finish it, although texturing will take quite a while I think. I'm about to start some basic playtesting with AI, see how they build bases and such before adding resources in the middle.

This is awesome, I'm super nostalgic for C&C and RA as they were some of my first forays into PC games back in the 90's. Please do Tiberium Garden next :)

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Ill be honest I didn't look at this for more than 5 seconds because I saw "Beta" in the description and didn't realize it was a faction and not another one of those "early access" things.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
You're not kidding mission 5 is hard - although the hardest part was tracking down the last damned mother goo patches, the AI loves moving all over the place, and I was at unit-cap. Ended up finding one, suiciding a bunch of junk into it and using the freed resources to build scout planes.

Because it's not immediately obvious, attack-move puts your units in aggressive stance even after they reach their destination. It's critical if you don't want to micro-manage long range attackers - they can fire at things other units see, but without being aggressive they only attack things in their own detection range.

Alt-R repair mode takes some getting used to, enabling/disabling it is rather clunky at times, which is a big contrast with the rest of the hotkeys. The branching-tree build system is excellent, it's 3-letter codes all composed of qwert, and gaining muscle memory of builds comes pretty quickly.

The requirements for buildings/units are picture-only, unfortunately, which is pretty worthless - by the time you've memorized all the pictures you've memorized the build tree. Edit: maybe text on mouseover? I'm at work right now so I can't check. I did find that it was harder than it should be to learn the tech-tree in-game.

These are minor flaws in what's overall an extremely fun game. The Goo plays so differently than other races (in any game) and it's gameplay style is so fluid - I wonder how well it will balance in longer-term multiplayer. It probably has the best ability to comeback from a crushing blow, in that it has no fixed base - if your opponent doesn't have complete map visibility you can sneak away and regroup while they're mopping up your "base".

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 26, 2015

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The number 1 rank player has a youtube channel with his stream and some matches on it. Looks like a pretty interesting game but it's $50 and it needs a patch to fix some stuff so I'm holding off.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 27, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I'm surprised to see so many people unfamiliar with the title's jargon, I thought that was just a normal scifi term that any nerd knew, like "nanomachines" or "hivemind". Guess I'm the weird one. I think I saw it on Gargoyles, I know they literally had Gray Goo nanomachines on there.

(as Nineties As Hell power armor)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it's more that Grey Goo is such a painfully generic title than anyone not understanding it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Really wish there was a Mac version of this game in the cards because drat.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

XboxPants posted:

I'm surprised to see so many people unfamiliar with the title's jargon, I thought that was just a normal scifi term that any nerd knew, like "nanomachines" or "hivemind". Guess I'm the weird one. I think I saw it on Gargoyles, I know they literally had Gray Goo nanomachines on there.

There was also that episode of Futurama where the (also literally) grey goo is made out of tiny copies of Bender.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Deakul posted:

The only thing that's throwing me off at this point is that loving price, holy poo poo. :laffo:
What's so weird about it being $50?

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Cicero posted:

Yeah $50 is a pretty ordinary price for a complete game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cicero posted:

That could be 200 copies of Bad Rats.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cicero posted:

It obviously should be free! If you wish to see the next portion of this post give me $5.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 28, 2015

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Buck Turgidson posted:

The number 1 rank player has a youtube channel with his stream and some matches on it. Looks like a pretty interesting game but it's $50 and it needs a patch to fix some stuff so I'm holding off.

I watched his stream for like 30 minutes and only saw one match that lasted 5 minutes. He rushed and won. Then went back to trying to find another player.

The struggles of being on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The last time I played an RTS where one of the sides' factories was also a unit was...way back with Total Annihilation Kingdoms.

• Locked thread