Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I was thinking turds. We can make our own money. A human poo poo would be equal to $1. Dog poo poo maybe $1.50. Flying albino monkey poo poo = $100. Your wallet would be a little plastic shopping bag. Rich people would literally be stinking rich. If you were starving you wouldn't be able to create poo poo wealth so those social catch 22s would still be in effect. A bird would poop on your shoulder and you'd cut the material out of your jacket carefully to preserve the droppings and buy lunch. Extortion would be dosing someone with laxatives or diverting their sewer pipes into your bank account. Riots at the zoo near the elephant pits. People siphoning septic tanks in the dead of night. I could go on forever.

:ralp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
your posts would lead to hyperinflation

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

itsgotmetoo posted:

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

itsgotmetoo posted:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

milkingmycow posted:

I was thinking turds. We can make our own money. A human poo poo would be equal to $1. Dog poo poo maybe $1.50. Flying albino monkey poo poo = $100. Your wallet would be a little plastic shopping bag. Rich people would literally be stinking rich. If you were starving you wouldn't be able to create poo poo wealth so those social catch 22s would still be in effect. A bird would poop on your shoulder and you'd cut the material out of your jacket carefully to preserve the droppings and buy lunch. Extortion would be dosing someone with laxatives or diverting their sewer pipes into your bank account. Riots at the zoo near the elephant pits. People siphoning septic tanks in the dead of night. I could go on forever.

:ralp:

sorry i put all my money in beanie baby holdings

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

In order to meet the demands of modern commerce in the respects which have been indicated, the medium of exchange must possess the following characteristics:-

A. It must consist of elements representing many grades of value. - In the United States we need means of payment ranging in value from at least one cent to one hundred thousand dollars, and European nations have found money of even smaller denominations useful. By combination of different elements of the medium it should be possible to represent the exact value of any and every commodity, and the exact amount of the various payments necessary in commercial transactions, and that, too, with the greatest celerity and without difficult calculations. If a commodity is worth twenty-six dollars and thirty-two cents, for example, we should be able to combine from the constituent elements of the medium exactly twenty-six dollars and thirty-two cents of value. If one should wish to make a payment of a million dollars, it should be possible so to do without burdening oneself with a heavy load of metal or running the risk of making mistakes in counting.

B. It must be easily and safely transportable in any and all amounts. - For the purposes of modern commerce currency must frequently be sent by mail or express or freight. It must be carried about in people's pockets and portmanteaus, and stored in banks, treasury vaults, places of business, and the houses of the people. The material or materials of which it is made are, therefore, a matter of great importance. What is suitable for one sort of currency is quite unsuitable for another. A heavy, bulky substance might serve well for small change, but would be an expensive means of making payments in distant places. A commodity possessing great value in small bulk would answer well for large payments and for hoarding, but would be useless for purposes of retail trade and for small purchases generally. Anything possessing high intrinsic value would subject the owner to the danger of loss in case it were sent through the mails or by freight or express. It is, therefore, evident that we need in our currency commodities of different degrees of value as well as instrumentalities which possess little or no intrinsic worth.

C. It must be easily recognized, durable, and certain in its value. - The various denominations of a currency should be recognizable and distinguishable from each other at sight. Otherwise mistakes will be frequent, fraudulent practices easy, and rapidity in making change impossible. Metals used for currency purposes should be put up in the form of coins with their values plainly stamped upon their faces; and the coins of different denominations should be distinguishable by their size, colour, design, or other easily recognizable features. The metals used in the manufacture of coins should also be capable of receiving and holding an easily recognizable stamp.

Unfortunately, OP, your shits do not meet these criteria

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

itsgotmetoo posted:

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
But my terrible posting is not tangible nor hard (soft?) potential currency.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Don Tacorleone posted:

Unfortunately, OP, your shits do not meet these criteria

So you're saying smell and texture could be used to determine value..

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Sunglasses appear on the presidents under blacklight.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

thanks to the success of the internet we can finally transition to a Beenz based economy

kremlins
May 9, 2009

itsgotmetoo posted:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

itsgotmetoo posted:

FPA

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Toilet/ATM combos.

So, no other ideas?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What about Magic: The Gathering cards? Last time I checked (1996) those were a good investment. Plus they can be used to play a game of sorts.

Failing that, I at least propose that US Dollars include a Sudoku or something on them so they can be fun as well as useful.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
a digital currency made out of bits

perhaps in coin form

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
has anyone said buttcoin?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What about music? Then when someone says "I got it for a song" they'd really mean it!

The richest people in the world would be talented musicians and singers while poor people would at least seem happy because they're whistling or humming all the time.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cards are good. I found a bunch of pogs the other day. I'm sure men will fight to death somewhere, someday for magic cards and pogs, and save the Real Princess™.

LongDarkNight posted:

Depends on your diet.

Applewhite posted:

What about music? Then when someone says "I got it for a song" they'd really mean it!

The richest people in the world would be talented musicians and singers while poor people would at least seem happy because they're whistling or humming all the time.

Well, la de da.

milkingmycow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What if we all just used "credits" that were generated by work and consumed by purchases? The only way to get more money is to work for it.
It would eliminate the perception of an unfair wage gap, though the tradeoff is it would completely kill entrepreneurship.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
*bursts into thread, panting heavily*

HAS ANYONE SAID BU-

LongDarkNight posted:

GOD DAMMIT

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
manhole covers