Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Stranded Deep is an Early Access title made by Beam Team which released Alpha 0.01 on Steam January 23rd, 2015 for $15. It started out on Steam Greenlight back in 2013. In Stranded Deep you play a guy who survives a plane crash into the ocean and must survive on remote, desert islands, starting with nothing but a pocket knife, bottle of water and a life raft. Theoretically until you're rescued, but winning the game hasn't actually been added yet.

The game features a procedurally generated, random world consisting of infinite new desert islands. You can build a home, cook food and build tools to use to survive, as well as fight off sharks when you travel between islands. You can also fall off of trees and break limbs, how wonderful!

It is available here on Steam.

Is it worth it?

For $15 I'm having fun with it. I can say that much. It's pretty, at least! There's potential here. It's also only 150mb, I don't know how they managed that. If you are looking for something pretty to toy around with for a few hours, it's worth $15. If you're looking for a complete game with goals and objectives, you will hate Stranded Deep (for now, anyway, but we all know how this Early Access thing goes, it's hit or miss).

Hey, isn't this like, identical to The Forest?

They are very, very similar games. The difference being that the main challenge in Stranded Deep is the isolation. You have very small islands with very little resources and absolutely no other human contact. The Forest is also a survival game, but includes horror elements and is much more focused on combat.

FAQ

What features are coming in the future?

More wildlife, being rescued, co-op multiplayer, a more "fitting" UI and Occulus Rift support are all in the works currently, according to the roadmap on the Steam page.

How do I craft?

The developers have posted a basic guide to crafting enough to survive here.

How do I rebuild fires?

This took me like 30 minutes to figure out. Unlike crafting literally everything else you keep the sticks in your hand then click your fire pit.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I really want to try this but I've been bitten by too many early access lately. Need some more goons to chime in on this before I make the plunge.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is this at all related to Stranded 2? Because, wow, the graphics have significantly improved since their last go around.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

It definitely seems inspired by it. Names are similar and a lot of the mechanics are the same, like tossing all your poo poo in a pile on the ground to build things.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh wow you're telling me i can pay for a game that is on version 0.01 whose premise is basically that of the other million games who i can also buy on version 0.04 who will never be finished?

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

This is the future and there is no bucking this trend.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Mans posted:

oh wow you're telling me i can pay for a game that is on version 0.01 whose premise is basically that of the other million games who i can also buy on version 0.04 who will never be finished?

Yeah but now it's on an island!

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Hey, isn't this like, identical to a million lovely early access survival games?

They are very, very similar games but the special thing about this one is that it has tiny levels.

Good sell man.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Single player. No controller support.

I might be more interested in it when it's released.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

This game is already way better than The Forest

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Apparently you can also find Wilson.

Also, the official wiki has been started.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I just spent 5 minutes paddling towards another island, only to turn around and realize I was still beached on my island.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
There is a ton of potential for this game to be exactly what I want in a game, and for the time I've spent playing it I've enjoyed it. When you search underwater wrecks for equipment, it gives you a lot of stress knowing a shark is close by, and the music fits it perfectly.

There is a very game breaking bug right now though. When you try to raft to another island, if you have saved your game once, your raft will disappear halfway because it becomes tied to the original island cell. Which usually means being dropped into the water surrounded by sharks. So if anyone is on the fence about buying this, wait until that gets dealt with. The developer knows about this bug, and a few others, and is already working on a hotfix, no ETA on when it'll be out though.

I'm glad I bought it, I couldn't care less that this is about $15 bucks, cause really, I've gotten a few hours of fun out of it already, and I know I'll get more.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
God, I hope this doesn't turn into another "Whelp we got our early access paycheck, see-ya!"
I'm really loving the whole "Just stay alive in <place> with heavy crafting" genre (other than the infinite minecraft clones") and this is already the nicest one I've played.

Welcome to beutiful Dickbutt Island.

A paradise untouched by human hands. It's pristine beauty calls to the spirit as...

Well; that didn't last long.

I've only encountered the raft-bug once in about 10 hours of play. And I've done enough island hopping to begin dabbling in amateur cartography to keep from getting lost.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I'm sitting by a fire cooking crabs one after another and can't keep up with my dude's hunger. Yikes I hope they tone the hunger down a little.

He eats more than I do every day and still almost starves to death.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah gently caress fish, don't bother with it. Coconuts are far more efficient at hunger/thirst. Also keep in mind that crab take by far the longest to cook, so they are probably the least efficient food in the game right now.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Having fun with this, looks like when more "biomes" are added and the cell transition smoothed out it will be really great. From their Facebook page I've seen screenshots of rough waves which in a game like this, are a must.

Haven't figured out how to put a bed on a foundation yet, but there are all sorts of things to find and I love how you can pile them up or organize them.

Also, pretty sure dying from the sun is a real thing. I was swimming at night and got a message like "I feel weird"
In the moonlight it looked like I contracted some sort of tropical disease.
By morning I realized that I had been out in the sun too long and had blistered. Over the next two days my left arm looked like it was going to fall apart and my stats were slowly dropping. Temperature on the watch isn't working yet, always says 108F :stare:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Do you get no indication of taking damage while swimming? I went in a hatch on a boat and swam around getting stuff, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and then i got to land and noticed i had gone from full health to 1 bar of health.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Fosson posted:

Also, pretty sure dying from the sun is a real thing. I was swimming at night and got a message like "I feel weird"
In the moonlight it looked like I contracted some sort of tropical disease.

This is from sea anemones, you swam through one and got poisoned. It doesn't seem to do anything? I have it in my game and by arm has been all blistered and gross for four days now but I haven't taken any damage from it yet.

Eltoasto posted:

Do you get no indication of taking damage while swimming? I went in a hatch on a boat and swam around getting stuff, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and then i got to land and noticed i had gone from full health to 1 bar of health.

There's a (far too) subtle red glow on the edges of your screen when you take damage underwater. I assume drowning sound effects will be added soon, it's hard to tell when you're suffocating.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Really. I wondered but it seemed like my skin turned a darker shade of red as the days went on and it looked like sunburn. Anemones? Hell it was at night so probably

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I don't know, sunburn might be possible! I wouldn't rule it out, but I definitely know it also comes from swimming through certain animal life.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow even thread titles can't muster up any enthusiasm for this kind of garbage anymore.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow even thread titles can't muster up any enthusiasm for this kind of garbage anymore.

I really enjoy Darkwood and a Sunless Sea. That counts right?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

So has anyone figured out how to craft a crossbow? They're allegedly in game but I can't figure out for the life of me how to make one.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Patch released! (Actually three days ago but I never noticed, whoops):

quote:

Rafts - Fixed the “Bermuda Triangle” bug. Rafts no longer disappear when travelling.
Rafts - Improved raft functionality with collisions and ladders.
Player - Fixed a bug where the player would be reloaded inside the terrain, shipwrecks, etc.
Player - Adjusted swimming speed.
Intro - Fixed “Bouncing Betty” bug, see: http://steamcommunity.com/app/313120/discussions/1/613948093882138495/
Cooking - Fixed campfires where multiple cookable items would interfere with each other’s cooking times.
Menus - Fixed mouse sensitivity not applying.
Menus - Added key binding functionality (Controllers are not officially supported, but it is possible).
Menus - Added in-game options functionality.
Saving/Terrain - Fixed a large bug; An edge case where if loading a saved game, and then resaving, previously saved biomes were being overwritten.
Terrain - Adjusted rock and stick spawning quantity.
Saving - Fixed a bug where stabbed items on the end of a Spear weren't being saved.
Saving - Fixed item display names not saving.
Sharks - Fixed disappearing great white sharks when killed.
Sharks - Shouldn’t appear on land anymore..
Sharks - Fixed shark meat not attaching to a Fire Spit.
Sharks - Spear now damages sharks.
Sharks - Various AI changes to increase the difficulty (a little).
Marlin - Fixed disappearing Marlins when killed.
Sleeping - Changed sleeping times. You can now sleep anytime from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am. The day count also increments properly now.
Flare Gun - Fixed using spam.
Harvesting Yuccas and Potatoes - Fixed incorrect scale of regrowing plants.
Drinkable Coconut - Fixed using animations and audio with various tools.
DeadEx Box - Can now be picked up.
Container and Doors - Fixed audio spam when entering loaded biomes.
Container and Doors - Fixed a large bug with loot spawning positions.
Various - Fixed various missing interactive object tags, descriptions, etc.
Various - Fixed the “Banana” yellow arm bug when looking at the watch and another lightsource was around.
Various - Fixed a hovering bug with one of the glass shaders.

New Content
Whales - New creature!
Divers Slate - New Easter Egg!
Boat Motor - Is now craftable and functional. Have fun with this one! ;)

The spear, sleep and raft fixes are really nice! The game is actually playable now (you can raft between islands, the whole loving point of the game).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

Stranded Deep: Yet another Early Access survival game

oh boy does it have crafting?!!?!?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Crafting is going to be the new "RPG Elements" for a few years; shoehorned into every game reason be damned!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Moto42 posted:

Crafting is going to be the new "RPG Elements" for a few years; shoehorned into every game reason be damned!

But I like RPG elements :(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So... uh...
I cut up a log into sticks, the sticks then bundled themselves into an immovable mass which when I put anything on top of it shoots it into space.
Stranded Space Program? :jeb:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Spaced God posted:

So... uh...
I cut up a log into sticks, the sticks then bundled themselves into an immovable mass which when I put anything on top of it shoots it into space.
Stranded Space Program? :jeb:
Launching yourself into low Earth orbit this way should count as a win. You're no longer stranded after all! Not on the island, anyway.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I feel like crafting systems are usually the most boring part of any game, and I'm also one of those weird goons scared of the ocean and sharks in particular. This looks scarier to me than any of those peek-a-boo horror games.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Firstborn posted:

I'm also one of those weird goons scared of the ocean and sharks in particular. This looks scarier to me than any of those peek-a-boo horror games.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm digging this game so far. It's got a really nice ambiance and cool dynamic weather. I was just sort of looking for something immersive and straightforward without the horror-game tension of the forest which I have a hard time with. I've been really wary of early access since the only other game I've bought in EA was DayZ, which was like burning money, but I'm enjoying this already and if the dev keeps plugging away I think it'll be a nice little game eventually. It runs really really well at max settings, too, no lag or anything at all.

I thought this was neat, a fog bank rolled in around 4:30 in the morning and the sun came up while it was still around:

Sharks bumping your boat is scary, but I wish there was a way to store stuff in the raft so it wouldn't get thrown out, sharks are stealing my loving beans.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I'm not sure if it was the biome I was in or the patch that improved the see floor and visibility underwater but it looks excellent. loving sharks coming out of the gloom is terrifying. Paddling out to this shelf and kelp forest and taking quick dives in search of wreckage deep down, but diving in only to go under and spot a great white lurking 40 feet below :gonk:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So, how do you get out of a boat.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

If you jumped down into one of those beached boat you're hosed unless you brought a stick with you to make a ladder with.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

If you jumped down into one of those beached boat you're hosed unless you brought a stick with you to make a ladder with.

Yep, had to restart. Don't jump into boats yall.

Anyways, the games ok, nothing much to do at the moment once you build a shelter. You can just harvest coconuts infinitely and lay on the beach. I'm curious what they intend to add to keep it interesting.

If you guys like this you'll probably like Subnautica, which is basically this game a bit further along in development but on an (alien) world entirely underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424Flh7MUpA&t=148s

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safetyland posted:

This is the future and there is no bucking this trend.

Look, from now on games will either be derivative kickstarted survival/minecraft titles that massively overpromise and underdeliver, or soul-crushing me-too F2P cash grabs.

At least there aren't any loving zombies in this one.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The Insect Court posted:

At least there aren't any loving zombies in this one yet.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

If you guys like this you'll probably like Subnautica, which is basically this game a bit further along in development but on an (alien) world entirely underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424Flh7MUpA&t=148s

This one even has little creatures that chase you and explode, plus you can dig all the way through the ground and make tunnels!

• Locked thread