Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The plot of this game: "gently caress around for a while".

That's literally it.

On the other hand, the Auction House is hilariously, ridiculously broken, and makes everything much, much simpler. No more insanely rare and arcane requirements to unlock low and mid tier equipment, just jump straight to the good stuff and go to town. Now if only they let you get Gria earlier :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Geostomp posted:

It really is charming and refreshing considering the melodramatic rambling you usually get in JRPGs.

Edit: Now I'm hoping we get another party member with actual dialogue if Cid's going to be out of commission for too long thanks to that assassin's plot bullets negating all that sweet healing magic and immortality.

The immortality and healing magic relies on the judges, and there wasn't one there because it was an assassination attempt instead of a standard fight.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 28, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

White Mage

Pre Reqs: None

Equipment:
-Weapons: Staves
-Head: Hats
-Light Armor, Robes
-Shields? No.

Class stats:
-Move: 3
-Jump: 2
-Evasion: 0
-Unarmed attack bonus: 10
-Resilience: 60

Growth stats:
code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Race   |   HP   |   MP   |   SPD    |  W.ATK  |  W.DEF  |  M.POW  |  M.RES|
Hume   |  84/6  |  36/4  |  58/52%  |  64/6   |  73/7   |  84/8   |  80/8 |
Viera  |  81/6  |  36/5  |  59/58%  |  63/6   |  72/7   |  84/8   |  80/8 |
Nu Mou |  79/5  |  36/6  |  58/52%  |  64/6   |  73/7   |  84/8   |  80/9 |
Pros:
-Easy, cheap healing
-The best healing for a good while
-A great secondary skill set on any unit

Cons:
-The game really doesn’t want to give you staves.
-Like most mages, made of tissue paper.

White Mages: exactly what it says on the tin. They heal your party and keep it trucking. They’re a pre-req for some rather amazing jobs in the Hume, Viera and Nu Mou sets later on but for the most part they’re just your healbots. The biggest problem with White Mages doesn't have to do with the job, but with the loot progression. Despite being a pre-req job the game does not want to give you staves and you have to wrest each and every one you can get from the bazaar. My suggestion is to save every piece of Waltwood you find only for staff unlocks, or just break the game with the Auction house, preferably both.

Black Mage

Pre-requisites:

1 White Mage A-Ability (Human only)
None (Moogle and Nu Mou)

Equipment:
Weapons: Rods
Head: Hats
Body: Robes

Class stats:
Move: 3
Jump: 2
Evasion: 0
Unarmed Attack Raise: 10

Growth Stats:
code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------    
            HP   |   MP   |   SPD    |  W.ATK  |  W.DEF  |  M.POW  |  M.RES|
Human    | 79/5  |  38/5  |  56/46%  |  60/6   |  68/6   |  91/10  |  96/10|
Moogle   | 77/5  |  34/6  |  56/46%  |  60/6   |  68/6   |  91/10  |  96/10|
Nu Mou   | 77/5  |  34/6  |  56/46%  |  60/6   |  68/6   |  91/11  |  96/10|
Pros:
-Cheap, reliable magic from the get-go.
-Tier 1 Black Magic spells cost 8 MP, which means you can spam them every turn
-Access to the Geomancy Support which is one of the more powerful Supports
-Great Magic stat growths on any race.

Cons:
-Spells are nothing but various sizes of Fire, Ice, and Lightning, making it potentially boring.
-MP system means Black Mages are going to spend most of their time flinging their weakest spells
-Geomancy only shines in a handful of situations, and is an incredibly late ability to get, IF you don't break the Auction House over your knee
-Takes hits exactly like any other mage.

The Black Mage is a traditional job in the Final-Fantasyverses and so you know exactly what it does on the tin: it’s your generic magical damage-dealer. Unfortunately, the job system has stolen just about everything from the Black Mage has in several other Final Fantasy jobs, leaving him with only his Fire and Thunder (and Ice). No Toad, no Death. He just lobs generic damage spells of three elements at enemies and nothing else. That’s not to say Black Mages are bad, they hit hard and their array of elements means you’ll never hit a weakness with them, and all of their spells hit multiple tiles. They’re just not exciting.

The FFTA2's Black Mage’s biggest claim to fame is Geomancy, an absolutely amazing ability that lowers a targeted unit’s resistance to all elements by one level. Absorption becomes Immunity becomes Resistance (half damage) which becomes Neutral which becomes Weakness (double damage). Basically it more or less doubles any elemental attacks you fling, this counts for elemental weapons as well. If you can’t figure out how to make a face-wrecker with that ability, you aren’t trying.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No Ninja Tabi? I always walk away with six pairs, two Ragetsu-Denbu, a Madu, and as many Zanmatos and Ribbons as I can carry.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

No Ninja Tabi? I always walk away with six pairs, two Ragetsu-Denbu, a Madu, and as many Zanmatos and Ribbons as I can carry.

RNG didn't favor me for drops and I walked in with about 180 CP because I kinda rushed to that point. Between the two Lezaford quests (+30 each) and the +200 CP for passing 20 times (that reward will never not amuse me) I only had 440 CP, So about 18 runs total if you factor in the tokens I bought to guarantee I loving grandmastered Moorabella and actually got swag from that auction house. Subtract the 6 runs I needed to grandmaster all three, and I only had about 12 runs. And not a single Tabi appeared in all of them. The Dual Wield sword? It only showed up in my very last Auction. I had completely given up on getting one at that point actually.

Besides, there's another source of infinite Tabi soon enough.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

On the other hand, the Auction House is hilariously, ridiculously broken, and makes everything much, much simpler. No more insanely rare and arcane requirements to unlock low and mid tier equipment, just jump straight to the good stuff and go to town. Now if only they let you get Gria earlier :argh:

Unless you're one of those people like me who likes mastering jobs. SERPENT STAFF :argh:

Alkydere posted:

It’s gotta suck to be allergic to Mist. “Sorry boss, can’t come into work today, I’m having a particularly bad allergic reaction to the very fabric of reality. Coughing, headaches, nausea, the growth of random extra limbs, you know how it is.”

A good case could be made for Fran from FF12 being allergic to Mist. In normal, low-concentration areas she's fine, but get too much of it in an enclosed space and gets more and more nauseous until suddenly she becomes Berserker McKillbunny.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing about the auction houses is you can save scum the poo poo out of them if you want.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Alkydere posted:

For the next two to three hours I make the game my bitch.

That line pretty much sums up what any smart person does with this game when Auctions are introduced. There's a REASON they don't hint very hard at the magickal time traveling house that is Lizaford's. Still not as comical as ripping abilities out of people's skulls though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kemix posted:

That line pretty much sums up what any smart person does with this game when Auctions are introduced. There's a REASON they don't hint very hard at the magickal time traveling house that is Lizaford's. Still not as comical as ripping abilities out of people's skulls though.

I don't know. The fact that Cid's been stuck in a sickbed for the last 6 or so years is pretty funny.

Not as mechanically awesome, still pretty damned funny.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Cid probably healed up a week in, and just makes sure to look sick for the one day of the year that Samuel's awake. Otherwise he is carousing. After all, from almost the moment Samuel took over the clan started getting some ridiculous loot and items, clearly he's better at this that Cid was. .

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, apparently the emulator does not play well, especially if recording, if I'm watching a Youtube video in the background. This took me completely by surprise because it works just fine with my normal source of background noise, Twitch streams. In fact, it lagged so badly that it lagged until it cancelled recording on its own without telling me, and I didn't notice for like an hour.

Luckily I was just doing non-story stuff, just means the next update's going to be a bit sparse on pretty pictures during the first half.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Eh, I suppose this kind of poo poo happens. Sucks that we won't be having pics for the first part of the update. Ah well, we'll see how much more broken your party has become by the point the story parts begin.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You could always do an MS Paint style update as many have done before you.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

No, I saw the Battle Network series thread. Down that road lies madness.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Turned it it was a memory issue. Making hours upon hours of lossless capture kinda builds up after a while. :v:

Everything's cleared up and recorded. I'll get around to actually writing up the update soon.

Kurieg posted:

Eh, we didn't miss anything I won't have a chance to record and take pictures of a million more times by the time this is all done. Besides, I like the motivation of someone like Artix...and the creativity of Epee Em at his most depressed.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Alkydere posted:

Besides, I like the motivation of someone like Artix...and the creativity of Epee Em at his most depressed.

I was laughing while I read his LP of MMBN4 when he went on that tangent, on the LP Archives, of course, but still.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Out of curiosity, what emulator are you using?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Out of curiosity, what emulator are you using?

For emulating this game I use Desmume (Sorry: DeSmuMe, gotta get that capitalization right). It's an old version (0.9.7, same version I did my AWDS LP on) but it's quite serviceable. The rom I use to emulate is actually the European version but I've never seen any differences between it and the actual American cart I own.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, Auctions are hilariously overpowered. Too bad that at this point there aren't a whole lot of repeatable missions available, or you could rake in more points for coins.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Alkydere posted:

For emulating this game I use Desmume (Sorry: DeSmuMe, gotta get that capitalization right). It's an old version (0.9.7, same version I did my AWDS LP on) but it's quite serviceable. The rom I use to emulate is actually the European version but I've never seen any differences between it and the actual American cart I own.

Hmm... I the same emulator (but latest 64-bit version), but don't remember any slowdown issues... But then, I've not touched the game since your original LP...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Hmm... the same emulator, but don't remember any slowdown issues... But then, I've not touched the game since your original LP...

It was a memory issue causing the lag. I didn't realize how much video I'd made and the game was lagging to a halt because it couldn't find any memory to record any more videos with. It just seemed that playing a youtube video (probably because my computer was trying to download more of the video) caused it to come to a grinding halt even more. Which explained why the game suddenly ran better out nowhere once it gave up on recording.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I've started playing along (but I couldn't resist going a bit further).
Strangely enough I've not yet abandoned the first 6 they give you.

Apart from the Nu Mou. As soon as I got a Gria he was thrown out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. It seems a little broken to just let you sleep a year away.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Not really. If I recall, there's a fair amount of missions that only pop up for certain months, and it beats having to wander around the map for several hours trying to get the year to roll around again. It's only broken when you use it along-side the auction house.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Glazius posted:

Randalor posted:

Not really. If I recall, there's a fair amount of missions that only pop up for certain months, and it beats having to wander around the map for several hours trying to get the year to roll around again. It's only broken when you use it along-side the auction house.

More or less. Lezaford's house is mostly there for sanity reasons. It's just that sanity outlet lets the player break the auction of his knee.

Also, sorry for being slow. The last few days my mom's been in the hospital the last few days and my mind really hasn't been in a good place to write up the update. I should have the next one out either today or tomorrow. The one after that will probably be a bit slow since I'm heading out on the 3rd for a few days to finish some moving.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Derp

It wouldn’t be an Alkydere LP if I didn’t derp around. I wasn’t paying attention to how much memory I was sucking up recording everything and ran out of memory. After deleting 70 gigs of video later, everything worked perfectly. Anyways, this update is mostly me knocking out a bunch of side stuff, so not too much was lost. As the game goes on, more updates will be like this

Thankfully, we have a convenient graph that shows the player all missions, available and completed.

A quick scavenger hunt on the same map we learned how to be a beastmaster.

This one was a delivery mission. No fighting, just talk to person at place A on the overworld, then talk to person at place B. Turns out the husband only “forgot” the lunch.

This line of quests...fuuuck. You have a never-ending conga line of two types of enemies filtering onto the map. You have to get a certain amount of enemies of a single type then talk to the representative NPC on the map.. Too many, too few, kill one of the wrong type, etc. you fail. They get more obnoxious as time goes on and the way they list the amount always throws me off.

...consider
-Manot, pride of Flourgis.

This guy keeps hiring us out because he keeps scheduling dates on the same day. He doesn’t learn either as the later missions have you entertaining more and more girls in Marnot’s name. By the end the player is forced to use the dispatch system as there’s literally no way to hit all of the ladies in the time allotted.

Hand piece of loot over, get cash and more loot.

Another delivery.

Here’s one I’m a bit irked about failing to record. This quest not only unlocks the Assassin job, which is still a monster in this game, but it also involves meeting Clan Bowen for what is likely the first time. Other than Bowen himself having a unique portrait, and the clan having a cheating Nu Mou with Blood Price there’s nothing to really mention about them at this point. Default they have three characters (Bowen, cheaty Nu Mou illusionist, and a Gria Ravager) but once you do this mission the trio will be joined by Veis the assassin from this point on.

It’s also a bounty race which is an utterly bullshit mission type that I hate. It’s your team against an AI team to kill a boss monster first. It doesn’t matter how much damage you do to them, only who gets the last hit.

Another job unlock. Now humans can be Fighters. Fighters are an alternate upgraded melee unit much like the Paladin. In return for better speed and attack, and a much, much better skillset the Fighter loses out against every one of the Paladin’s other stats.

So, what’s the secret to being a Fighter?

Kick’em inna fork and kick’em when they’re down.

A dispatch mission where the player has to chose the right job to dispatch. Most other dispatches have their success rate determined by a unit’s MVP status (a unit who does a lot of attacking/healing/killing can earn MVP which builds up a trophy on their unit card). These missions are entirely binary: did you dispatch the right job. The correct answer for this one is a Green Mage since obviously using a mace means you’re good at polishing them.

At this point I figured out the recording wasn’t working and spent the next few hours cleaning up. After this point I have actually video! Not that there’s much to see since this is mostly cleaning out junk missions. I also did some recruitment during this period so clan Twain also has a fresh Ranger, a Hume Black Mage, a Red Mage and a Gladiator in its ranks.

This is another dispatch mission in the same line as the previous

With these missions Sam meets the client and the client indirectly hints at which job is needed. The previous one wanted someone “good with maces”, which pretty much meant “Green Mage” or “Sage”. Since the mission’s early enough into the game you’re likely to not have a Sage

The scholar here talks all about sleeping under the stars and being on the road so the obvious answer is the Ranger, right? You’d be correct, though the game doesn’t do a good job telling you. When you suggest a clan member the sacrificial sheep in question will give either a highly negative response (wrong) or a more neutral or positive response (right). Except in this mission which screws with you, giving you either a negative response (wrong) and an extremely negative response (actually correct).

We’ll see our buddy in fifteen days.

While our Ranger is out doing that let’s check out the clan trials. The main purpose of the trials are to raise the clan’s stats. Unlike in FFTA where the clan stats were a great source of some of the more broken equipment (Cinquaeda), in FFTA2 the trials mostly serve to limit which missions the clan can take.

Each trial has 5 levels. Ideally you want the highest trial as it will give you the most points/biggest title. The issue is there are also clan privileges hidden in these trials as well, and if you skip to the final trial you’ll lock yourself out of privileges. The title does little more than give a discount on purchased items/gear/quests.

Aptitude I is a rather easy trial since it’s just “find the winning barrel”. The more advanced challenge, the more barrels, the further they are away and the less time you have. Easy enough. I rush through 1, 3 and 5 quick enough (thankfully most trials only have perks on those levels), giving me “Empowered Bangaa” and upgrading Power Up to level 2 and then three.

Aptitude was easy since it didn’t involve combat. Part of the reason I’ve been avoiding Clan Trials is that the vast majority require combat, which is so much easier when your clan is stronger. Aptitude also tanked my Negotiation so I do a bit of General Training to bring it up. The Law on General Training I is “no missing”, which is important because breaking the law in ANY clan trial is an instant loss.

Oh, and the game has gotten far enough that random battles with monsters appear on the map. These are easy enough to clean up and in addition to being a great source of experience and AP they grant a whopping 99 CP when finished.

Here’s why I was banging my head against some early trials. I needed 8 Aptitude and Negotiation to take this mission and it was driving me up the walls that I couldn’t.

Mechanically the Moon Seal is almost exactly like the Star Seal. Touch stone, get warped to a secret place, etc. The real reason this mission was driving me up the wall is until I do it, I cannot recruit Viera on the map. Viera won’t appear at either of their recruitment locations (Camoa and Rupie Mountains) asking to be in the clan until the Moon Stone is knocked off the list.

And a new location has appeared in Camoa! Let’s try to recruit a lategame Viera job.

Oh, yeah, our Ranger finishes his job during the time skip.

And Adelle is made into a Ninja for those delicious attack and speed growths mixed with learning Dual Wield.

Back in Camoa there’s a recruitment event. Unfortunately Camoa only gives the not-as-good jobs (fencer, red mage, white mage, green mage, archer) and I already snagged a second Viera via an alternate method and the clan really doesn’t need more than 2 or so at this point. The second recruitment point in the Rupie Mountains gives the good jobs (with really good stats) but that won’t be active until some vague point a few story missions in the future.

The job that’s unlocked is determined the moment the player steps on the tile, so it’s really easy to savescum for the desired job.

There is another way to recruit non-story members, and that’s by this repeatable mission.

This mission was why it was so important to finish the Star Seal quest earlier. That and the fact that the Moon Seal follows directly afterward.

A Nu Mou in what is suspected to be the costume for the cut Transmuter job asks the player a series of binary questions. The text varies by month/race but’s always four questions and you can look up an FAQ to figure out the response for what job you want.

So, how about an Assassin.

Oh, um, sorry, your Clan’s not advanced enough.

Okay...A summoner?

Sorry, no can do.

A Sniper than! That’s just a more advanced Archer after all!

Sorry…

You get three tries to get the job you want (or three tries to get the stats you want with savescumming) Each time you turn away a unit the Nu Mou gets more and more distressed until he leaves in a fit of depression after the third. The Nu Mou here is just as picky as the rest of the game in not giving you a job “too early”. He’ll give some junk about not having a good enough title, but in reality his job selection is limited by the player’s progress in the main storyline. I'm not too worried about clan makeup at this point anyways and can wait until later to grab more Viera.

He’s also how I got a second Red Mage into the party before finishing the Moon Seal.

Next time we’ll move the story forward a bit. Expect these rather relatively sparse busywork updates to become more and more the norm as we progress. Also, expect them to be a bit less sparse as I’ll (hopefully) not gently caress up the recording.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And something that hasn't been mentioned:
A lot (read: significant amount of what you'll hear in-game) of the music in the game is taken from FFXII and FFTA, with a bit of remixing/paring down to fit and sound good on the DS.

Any one who played XII remembers this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alkydere posted:

Each trial has 5 levels. Ideally you want the highest trial as it will give you the most points/biggest title. The issue is there are also clan privileges hidden in these trials as well, and if you skip to the final trial you’ll lock yourself out of privileges. The title does little more than give a discount on purchased items/gear/quests.

:eng101: The single-stat trials (Aptitude, Negotiation, etc) have privileges at levels 1, 3, and 5, whereas the ones that modify multiple stats have them at every level. In addition, the judge will tell you before you accept the mission whether or not you'll get a new privilege after the trial.

Honestly, the stat gate starts out as a thing that exists, but later in the game you're going to end up rolling around with 99 in every stat anyway because General Training raises all of them and you have to clear all five levels to get their privileges.

quote:

You have to get a certain amount of enemies of a single type then talk to the representative NPC on the map.. Too many, too few, kill one of the wrong type, etc. you fail. They get more obnoxious as time goes on and the way they list the amount always throws me off.

Not true! There's only one mission where you lose if you kill one of the wrong type, and I think it's this one since you've got to kill the white Dreamhares and not the purple ones. In fact, it's drat near mandatory to clear out the chaff in the last one of these missions since otherwise the monster queue gets clogged up and you can't kill the monsters you're asked to.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

:eng101: The single-stat trials (Aptitude, Negotiation, etc) have privileges at levels 1, 3, and 5, whereas the ones that modify multiple stats have them at every level. In addition, the judge will tell you before you accept the mission whether or not you'll get a new privilege after the trial.

Honestly, the stat gate starts out as a thing that exists, but later in the game you're going to end up rolling around with 99 in every stat anyway because General Training raises all of them and you have to clear all five levels to get their privileges.

Yeah, I didn't go into that since I felt it would go better into a general Clan Trial update. I think General Training I level 5 gives like 20 of each stat. You're going to end up 99/99/99/99 without trying soon enough.

quote:

Not true! There's only one mission where you lose if you kill one of the wrong type, and I think it's this one since you've got to kill the white Dreamhares and not the purple ones. In fact, it's drat near mandatory to clear out the chaff in the last one of these missions since otherwise the monster queue gets clogged up and you can't kill the monsters you're asked to.

I think they mention the wrong color ruining the batch in one other mission (marlboros?) but it's good to hear the other missions I don't have to freak out about accidentally killing the wrong type. Part of my absolute hatred for Dreamhares is that they tend to be connected with the most frustrating missions/laws.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alkydere posted:

I think they mention the wrong color ruining the batch in one other mission (marlboros?) but it's good to hear the other missions I don't have to freak out about accidentally killing the wrong type. Part of my absolute hatred for Dreamhares is that they tend to be connected with the most frustrating missions/laws.

I think that might be the Flan one. Either way, they tell you. The malboro mission is the one I mentioned where you're going to have to beat up alarunes no matter what just to keep the monster queue churning.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've picked up this game again after seing your LP and I can confirm, if the mission doesn't say otherwise you can go full :black101: murder on the wrong mobs, it doesn't matter. Presumably the cook can filter out the blatantly wrong bodyparts.

KataraniSword posted:

I think that might be the Flan one. Either way, they tell you. The malboro mission is the one I mentioned where you're going to have to beat up alarunes no matter what just to keep the monster queue churning.

Yeah, you'll get an aneurysm on that mission if you don't clear the Alarunes. On the other hand, a Blood price + greatbow + ultima masher bunnygirl covering 4 spawn spots and other murderhobos covering the rest of the map made it a boring bloodbath.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You kinda glossed over it but a lot of the Clan Trials are utter bullshit. Like the one where the law is Forbidden: Missing. I usually lost that one on a 97% hit chance. Or Forbidden: Area Attacks, which I lost to a critical hit - since those knock the target back, the game counts those against you! And the barrel one, which after the first few becomes pure luck, as you simply don't have the time to check all the barrels. :argh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

theshim posted:

You kinda glossed over it but a lot of the Clan Trials are utter bullshit. Like the one where the law is Forbidden: Missing. I usually lost that one on a 97% hit chance. Or Forbidden: Area Attacks, which I lost to a critical hit - since those knock the target back, the game counts those against you! And the barrel one, which after the first few becomes pure luck, as you simply don't have the time to check all the barrels. :argh:

Forbidden: Criticals or Forbidden: Knockback were both crap because criticals are random, and they knockback. The pure luck trials were also crap.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

theshim posted:

I glossed over them mostly because I plan to show off clan trials more depth at a later date. But yeah, those are utter bullshit laws.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Bowser!? Is that you?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know there's one clan trial where Forbidden:Missing just takes away your bonuses but doesn't immediately fail you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RareAcumen posted:

I know there's one clan trial where Forbidden:Missing just takes away your bonuses but doesn't immediately fail you.

Handy rule of thumb: if it raises Negotiation, you fail if you break the law. Otherwise, it's no big deal. I'm 90% sure this is the deciding factor.

EDIT: The exception being General Training II, where you want to break the law as quickly as possible or else you'll never win.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I liked the plot of this game since it really feels like a reaction to the plot of FFTA. "More doom and gloom depression? gently caress that noise - ADVENTURE!"
It doesn't help that I keep hearing the voice of Flapjack for Luso/Samuel.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
:argh: gently caress you Squeenix and your artificial difficulty of the bullshit laws. At least it doesn't ADD EXTRA LAWS TO THE GAME like FFTA1 does. gently caress YOU AND YOUR BULLSHIT, MEWT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kemix posted:

:argh: gently caress you Squeenix and your artificial difficulty of the bullshit laws. At least it doesn't ADD EXTRA LAWS TO THE GAME like FFTA1 does. gently caress YOU AND YOUR BULLSHIT, MEWT!

I like the laws, they're(for the most part) just reasonable optional objectives. And less bullshit ones that don't game over you from out of seemingly no where like the first game.

• Locked thread