Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
someone post that bullshit story about the kid who killed the guards to escape from one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the kid in that video is cool

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

scared straight in australia is just a guy in a room telling you not to try and sneak weed into prison because they have a machine like from richie rich that can smell the weed

yeah thisll instill them with the appropriate respect towards authority that kids gonna lanza everybody one day

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
we love watching beyond scared straight

The latest season has an episode with juggalos

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grave of the Fireflies was a Scared Straight type film for japanese youths. While the rest of the world seems to think the film is an anti war film, the director said "lol nope this film is about respecting your elders you stupid fuckers now watch these kids suffer because they are just like you shits."

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3A_vxgBDxA

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I was gonna post that vid but I'm glad you did it for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Grave of the Fireflies was a Scared Straight type film for japanese youths. While the rest of the world seems to think the film is an anti war film, the director said "lol nope this film is about respecting your elders you stupid fuckers now watch these kids suffer because they are just like you shits."

what a fucker, hayao miyazaki was a huge delinquent. he used to sing straight outta compton for the american occupying soldiers to see if they would arrest him for being so black

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

I was gonna post that vid but I'm glad you did it for me.

np, it is good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i want a fatty version

fat kids seeing how fat they are gonna get and how awful they will be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The White Dragon posted:

what a fucker, hayao miyazaki was a huge delinquent. he used to sing straight outta compton for the american occupying soldiers to see if they would arrest him for being so black

Nah, Grave of the Fireflies was directed by Isao Takahata, aka the other Ghibli director and a super ultra conservative type who is convinced that the youth of Japan are evil and need to be smacked down.

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

Getting raped is the scariest thing about prison and they never talk about it- that's why it doesn't work.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Drug/criminal/prison policy in the US is so beyond hosed that it goes past funny to sad and then keeps going until it's funny again but it's that kinda nervous "haha..." funny that comes when you don't even know how to react anymore.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
the clip with the girl freaking out is pretty inaccurate because usually when a woman is around male prisoners the dicks come out they pants and they will jack off so she sees it

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
COMB HIS CHEST HAIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAKm0RR0HCA

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Frog Act posted:

the second video's uploader is trying to pass that off as real. lol

Sorry it smells like jizz it's probably just jizz.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=104YUnChXfU

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

:confused:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Philadelphia posted:

Scared straight programs aren't supposed to help anyone, idiot. They're there so we can live out our fantasies of yelling at poor minorities until they cry.

these kinds of programs are especially popular in arizona and texas.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Perhaps the opposite of scared straight would be a good idea. Instead of sending bad kids to prison, you send them to hang out with a person who smoked weed and stole poo poo sometimes who turned out OK. Maybe he/she could be like, "Look, I get it. But you've gotta mellow out because once you turn 18, that poo poo will gently caress up your college chances or scoring a gig at that telemarketing company down the way. Yeah, your parents suck, but you'd suck as a parent too, so chill. All things pass."

I can't see this as working any less than scared straight.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dicere posted:

Perhaps the opposite of scared straight would be a good idea.
Scared Gay?

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Scared Gay?

Scared groovy.

The 5th Foid
Nov 22, 2014

by Ralp
I'm outraged by the fake show too OP.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
it would be good to go to a prison and have people talk about what they did, how they got there, and what is happening to them, and NOT scream in your face while the fatass guards treat you like poo poo and push you around

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
just have a real conversation with a convict.. send them letters n poo poo.. but also not be weird, like manson fangirls

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

just have a real conversation with a convict.. send them letters n poo poo..

Watch that poo poo get shut right the gently caress down once kids start sending letters to their state legislatures or the local news talking about how hosed the criminal justice system is.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

scare a dick straight up my rear end in a top hat

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
watch the alternative lifestyle ward vids i think one of the guards forces a kid to watch a prisoner take a piss ... wtf...

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

The more I think about the idea of having normal conversations/correspondences with convicts, the more I like the idea. This could be a really effective program that could get at-risk kids to realize the opportunities they have been given so they don't waste them by doing stupid poo poo like beating the gently caress out of kids on YouTube or joining a gang or whatever.

But it would take just one kid converting to Islam to bring the whole thing down.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dicere posted:

The more I think about the idea of having normal conversations/correspondences with convicts, the more I like the idea. This could be a really effective program that could get at-risk kids to realize the opportunities they have been given so they don't waste them by doing stupid poo poo like beating the gently caress out of kids on YouTube or joining a gang or whatever.

But it would take just one kid converting to Islam to bring the whole thing down.

You dont get picked to talk to kids if you wont act like they want. Do want they want, act crazy and scary to kids and youll get extra dessert and poo poo. gently caress it up and its the fighting pits for you

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Demonachizer posted:

There is some show on Netflix called "Beyond Scared Straight" and the first episode the first kid is bragging "Oh I do drugs." and a few sentences later "My mother is dead and was a drug addict". It is like so obvious that they have these hosed up heavy adult type problems and instead of getting them competent therapy they just let a bunch of other women that probably could have benefited from a loving/caring society yell at them and make them cry.

America is a pretty hosed up place where parents don't get how to raise kids so they completely abdicate their responsibility and let the state round them up and torture them in an attempt to prevent future bad behavior.

Is there any research that indicates that these programs work better than talk therapy?

No. But There is plenty of research and analysis to show that they did more harm than good.

Wikipedia posted:

As a result of the film, many states introduced "scared straight" programs in an attempt to rehabilitate young delinquents.[3] The effectiveness of such programs has been questioned, most significantly by a peer reviewed meta-analysis report of seven such programs by Anthony Petrosine et al. 2002, updated 2012), which indicated that "scared straight" programs not only failed to deter crime, but actually led to more offending behavior.[4]

And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight!#Follow-ups

Wikipedia posted:

On February 1, 2011, the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange reported that one of the graduates of the original Scared Straight! program at Rahway, Angelo Speziale, later became a convicted felon. In 2010, Speziale was convicted of the 1982 rape and murder of Michele Mika, a teenage girl who lived next door to him, and is currently serving a sentence of 25 years to life in Rahway

Also, in light of the Speziale case, the Campaign for Youth Justice has petitioned A&E to cancel Beyond Scared Straight, as they claim that the show promotes "the spread of a noxious program" and may be in violation of federal law and standards set forth by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP).

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-01-31/news/bs-ed-scared-straight-20110131_1_straight-type-programs-straight-program-youths

quote:

The network portrays such programs as effective in keeping youths from becoming lifelong criminals. Unfortunately, the research tells us otherwise: "scared straight" is not only ineffective but is potentially harmful. And it may run counter to the law.

Across the evaluated programs, participants were up to 28 percent more likely to offend than youths who didn't participate. To add insult to injury, a number of youths reported to evaluators that adult inmates sexually propositioned them and tried to steal their belongings. Not only was scared straight found not to deter criminal behavior, the study strongly suggested the program caused harm.

The Department of Justice has supported mentoring programs for more than 30 years as a primary prevention tool to address juvenile delinquency. Not surprisingly, research suggests that offering at-risk youth a relationship with a positive role model has more benefit than scaring them with a negative one.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
watched some of the related videos, p funny

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I was scared gay IRL when I saw a naked man in my front yard.

At least I think that was fear

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

DessertStorm posted:

Getting raped is the scariest thing about prison and they never talk about it- that's why it doesn't work.

That's because it mostly only happens on TV. Go find that "I was in Prison" thread in AT.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

kid going to jail, owning black people is against the Constitution.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Davincie posted:

the kid in that video is cool

white nerd owns retarded black guard. his fyad posting credentials are set.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

In the late 80s, my school sent a group of students to a prison to see how it was and be lectured (although not shouted at) by prisoners who really played up the prison rape thing for us, and also talked about how it happened in womens' prisons with broomsticks and frozen hot-dogs and stuff, and how they cooked maggots in the cream of wheat and other horror stories.

I was under the impression that sort of thing was fairly common.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

dont be talking poo poo about cream of maggot soup

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Let's take a bunch of angry kids who want to be king of the block, and take them somewhere to meet older versions of themselves who shout "I'm the king of the block and that means I'm the boss and my life is great and I get whatever I want" in their face over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Lol pro click right here

• Locked thread