Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

p sure it's been more than 3 minutes since it was moved tho

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/23/us/feat-doomsday-clock-three-minutes-midnight/

how will goons survive in this brave new post apocalyptic world

Chonchon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
good

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
It you think about it, it can never really get to midnight since that would be the end of the world and noone would be left to move it there. But if it never gets to midnight then that means the world will never end. It's pretty crazy.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far far away from here.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

missed op here pretty upset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPbqQOf41Qc

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
if you actually were one of those prepper people why would you just have a cellar with canned food and a gun instead of a whole underground fortress?

literally any crazy person with a shovel and an hour a day since a minute before the big Y2K hit could have like a cement and brick underground mansion by now, but they dont

the fats are too lazy to live in this world, and the crazies are too lazy to truly prepare for the world they all obviously wish would end already

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

extra stout posted:

if you actually were one of those prepper people why would you just have a cellar with canned food and a gun instead of a whole underground fortress?

literally any crazy person with a shovel and an hour a day since a minute before the big Y2K hit could have like a cement and brick underground mansion by now, but they dont

the fats are too lazy to live in this world, and the crazies are too lazy to truly prepare for the world they all obviously wish would end already

there is one crazy who built an entire sealed underground city, then sold apartments to other crazies.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
*clears throat* ga-aaaaaaaaaaaa-ay

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i'd like to build a sweet underground bunker just because. i am the basement dweller.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
oh sweet we're back down to the 1984 level obama is basically reagan

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Why is this making me so happy ?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Climate change is made up so that ___________ can ________.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
So what happens after midnight/Doomsday?

Does the clock keep going to 12:01 and there is some magical rebirth of the planet and humanity?

Doomsday clock is silly.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Internetjack posted:

So what happens after midnight/Doomsday?

Does the clock keep going to 12:01 and there is some magical rebirth of the planet and humanity?

Doomsday clock is great.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010
I think when it hits midnight there will be no more humans to reset the clock

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man

fuckin scrubs

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
LIVIN AFTER MIDNIGHT

ROCKIN TO THE DAWN

LOVIN TIL THE MORNIN

THEN IM GONE

IM GONE

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mdhwMVaUyQ

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Feranon posted:

a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man

fuckin scrubs

Yeah but my blue dick is bigger

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
one more minute and shits gonna get metal as fuuuck

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

NakedWithCandy posted:

It you think about it, it can never really get to midnight since that would be the end of the world and noone would be left to move it there. But if it never gets to midnight then that means the world will never end. It's pretty crazy.

:vince: makes you think :vince:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll stop burning huge piles of Styrofoam next to my homemade nuclear bomb

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've cited them a few times they're my favourite nuclear journal

They put the doomsday clock above every article headline and the January issue had it at 5 minutes

concerning :ohdear:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

anyway the last time it was set to 3 minutes was like 1984 right? what makes them think things are even remotely that bad now? sure US-russian relations are down the shitter lately but I don't think we're back to early-80s levels of existential dread of the nuclear holocaust just yet

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Feranon posted:

anyway the last time it was set to 3 minutes was like 1984 right? what makes them think things are even remotely that bad now? sure US-russian relations are down the shitter lately but I don't think we're back to early-80s levels of existential dread of the nuclear holocaust just yet

they're lumping in climate change with the nuclear threat so that probably contributes a few minutes to it; although, the EU has been pussyfooting around ukraine because they think that the russians want to end the world (including themselves) over some backwater that has no tie to russia other than that the soviets poo poo russians onto it almost a century ago

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The clocks cursed. it's what's causing the problems and the closer they move it to 12 the closer we all get to death :ohdear:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
dods anybody give a gently caress about these people anymore? i'm pretty sure they just move the clock every five or ten years to maintain relevance

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

nomadologique posted:

dods anybody give a gently caress about these people anymore? i'm pretty sure they just move the clock every five or ten years to maintain relevance

they're a full on scientific journal that publishes great research so nuclear industry people like me care :<

the doomsday clock is blatantly a PR thing though

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Doomsday Clock is a good song by Smashing Pumpkins.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

climate change is awful but idk about lumping it in with nuclear war as a "doomsday" scenario. a gradual process that disrupts civilization and makes the weather suck a whole lot isn't quite up there with "most cities are suddenly gone and the ashes of those cities are blocking out the sun and if you go outside to try and do anything you're gonna die"

drama queens imo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The wife calls my wiener the Doomsday Cock, on account of all the stillbirths.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

BattleMaster posted:

they're a full on scientific journal that publishes great research so nuclear industry people like me care :<

the doomsday clock is blatantly a PR thing though

ok then i care about their scientific work but i do not care about their clock or their opinion on how close to doomsday the world is

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Doomsgay

naem
May 29, 2011

Do these "scientists" work from a secret skull shaped island lair

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
and the suuuuuun
will set for youuuuuu

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Feranon posted:

At the risk of a serious post in a derelict thread:

U.S and the other big dicks are about to resume NPT(peaceful nuclear development) discussions with Iran. Israel is being a big baby bitch as per usual and refusing to step down from their position of wanting Iran's complete dismantling of nuclear power. Israel has warned they might take matters into their own hands if an agreement is reached.

Israel has nuclear weapons and has refused to sign the npt meaning they sayin they reserve the right to gently caress poo poo up whenever they please.

To me, this is probably the most plausible nuclear scenario for causing alarm

A doomsday clock sounds dumb af tho

• Locked thread