Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Gonna have a swing at C2 and hope there's a Troll there! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

There is! (That's a hit.)

Dangit dangit dangit. Strategize. houwdvtqmlfbazqxm

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

loqlbbivmutvkswfs

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Things are getting tense now! Gonna give C5 a shot!

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Things are getting tense now! Gonna give C5 a shot!

And that's win!

...How the heck did you hit that. I am so confused. XD

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Congrats! Zark, shoot me via PM the list of your moves, and AP, I'll work on decoding yours.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Here's the list of all the moves we made.

SX SS
A3 B2
SX D2
C2 C3
SX B3
C3 C4
SX A3
B3 B4
SX B5
B4 SX
C1 B1
C4 D4
D3 D3
SX C2
SX C5

These were my strategies (Corrections in italics):
btwoaforefor Starting Wizards at B2, A4, and E4
makeagriffbtwo Change B2 to Griffon
griffonefive See correction
efournotefive Change E4 to Griffon
ctwowizard Place Wizard at C2
placeatcfiveawizard Place Wizard at C5
ctwoatroll Change C2 to Troll
flipthelasttwostrategies As it was, I made an illegal play. Thankfully, flipping these two didn't change anything.
newetwopiece Place Wizard at E2
samepiecetrollify Change E2 to Troll
waitnothecfiveone I wanted to do the C5 one instead, but you were too fast for it to help. :(

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 24, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Good game sir! I'll reveal the final map from my end, hopefully I have everything correct with your attacks and didn't cock up on the rules somewhere down the line.

I put together an album for my moves, but Imgur's being weird with the sorting so I need to re-order it (I may just delete them and re-upload the album with better filenames).

In short, B2, D2 and B4 were my starting wizards, my first move upgraded two of them to trolls. It was then mostly flailing around hitting spaces while trying not to make it too obvious what I'd done.

Once you took out the lower Troll I tried figuring out where you could have hit it from and put down a new wizard as backup.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

One thing that immediately stands out to me is that it's really confusing to keep track of which board is which. It's sort of inevitable since they're both the same shape, but I kept thinking the spaces you'd attacked were the ones I'd attacked. :psyduck:

EDIT: Especially since your pieces are on one board, but your attacks are on another.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, managed to get the images in the right order(hopefully!): http://imgur.com/a/EBOmz

On the attack side, yellow squares are where I announced an attack that turn, grey ones are where I have attacked previously and missed, red are where I hit.

I realised that while it's possible to get some pieces into places they can't be hit it takes quite a bit of effort, with a minimum of 5 attacks using 2 different pieces to do so. This means it's unlikely to cause the game to stall out as you'd probably not be focussed on hitting the enemy pieces.

In any case I enjoyed the game, thank you! Will have to give it another go sometime once I've refined the templates some more :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Would orienting them vertically, a la Battleship, help?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Would orienting them vertically, a la Battleship, help?

...Probably not. One major difference between the two is that in Battleship, you can attack anywhere you want. (That's why I made that illegal move, actually. I got overeager and forgot I had a blank spot where neither Wizard could hit.) I do really like the spatial play with the different pieces, though I didn't ever get to play a dragon. Are you thinking about implementing any other attack shapes?

I think I just have to be more focused on the attack box when it's my turn to attack. Just something to get a handle on if/when I play it more.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It's certainly the kind of thing which would be a lot easier to solve in a digital game as you could make it highlight your possible attacks. Not sure how easy it would be to physically combine the two grids into one in real life though, it may get messy.

I'm thinking something like splitting each cell in the grid in half diagonally, you mark attacks in one half and put pieces/opponent's attacks in the other.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm thinking something like splitting each cell in the grid in half diagonally, you mark attacks in one half and put pieces/opponent's attacks in the other.
That might work.

Anyways, who wants to fight me? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I would, but I'm heading out soon. Sorry. :/

• Locked thread