Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Problem description: Macbook Pro 15", Model A1286. I replaced the keyboard tonight. When the power button is pressed, it will start up, but 5-30 seconds after the boot process starts, the machine will shut down hard. Complete power cutoff. To get the machine to boot again, all power (including the battery) must be removed. The laptop will boot again once power is restored.

I bought the laptop with a bad keyboard, so I ordered a replacement keyboard. The machine was solid, and worked fine for the last month or two while waiting to get time to attempt the replacement. Tonight I attempted the keyboard replacement.

Attempted fixes: I have removed the mainboard, and re-connected all of the connectors. While I was in the machine, I cleaned all of the heatsinks and fans with compressed air. I held the fans still while clearing them, as to not overspeed the bearings. When it's booting, the fans spin smoothly, and silently. I have done a "long hold" on the power button, but I have not yet done a PRAM zap.

While waiting for an answer, I have a second keyboard I"m going to try installing. (replacing the keyboard takes most of an hour... )

Recent changes: I replaced the keyboard. Keyboard mask. Keyboard backlight. And the power button, which is part of the keyboard.

--

Operating system: OSx Tiger I think.

System specs: Apple Macbook Pro, model A1286. 512gig SSD, 16 gigs ram, i7 processor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Most of what is on Google blames OS issues. This power shutdown can happen before the OS gets loaded. (at the 5 second end of things)

I appreciate your time, and advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So I gave in. And I ripped out the "replacement" keyboard. When I pulled the power button, I found that the wave spring wasn't aligned with the power button bore. So it looks like long holding the button was shutting it off again. And the reason it would start up, was a momentary button press that came from the movement of the wave spring.

Since I had it out, I put in the "other" replacement keyboard, because.. well.. I was in there anyway, and the backlight was in better shape.

It's working properly now. And I'm now wondering what the heck pitch those screws are. 0-80? They're frigheningly tiny.

• Locked thread