Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alexandra mused on some of this, and it got me thinking. I just can't help wonder what kind of world the being created by the EL Project would build. Assuming it manages to find a way to self-propagate, what would such a society become? Would they consider themselves "Humans", a new evolution/transcendence of the species? Would they consider themselves Talosians or whatever else they deem to call themselves, separate from humanity? Would they consider themselves inheritors to our legacy, and would they choose to continue that legacy, perhaps even working to further understand humanity beyond what was preserved in the archive? Would they just brush it all aside and forge their own way of existence, eager to forget the failed species that spawned them? Would they be grateful to us? Resentful? They have (presumably) so few physical wants compared to humans, they need not air, food, or water, just electrical energy. Their society would be so different without some of these needs. Would they develop some form of religion? Would they murder and war among themselves for reasons as petty and grand as Humans did?

Are they immortal? Assuming their body is maintained properly, and do not meet a violent end, would they function forever? Or would they die of "old age" as the code that is their consciousness eventually decays for one reason or another due to flaws not eliminated/revealed by the EL program? Would they understand their minds, able to read the code that is their instincts (soul?) and manipulate it, or would the code and their minds be as mysterious as the way our minds are to us?

The story of the Talos Principle is over, but I can't help but muse about the story that would come afterwards. Anyways I'll shut up now. :v:

Fun game, thanks for LPing it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They have (presumably) so few physical wants compared to humans, they need not air, food, or water, just electrical energy.

Once a society has formed, yes. But in this post-apocalyptic world? It'd probably be way easier for (well-prepared) humans to find a source of food, water, warmth, whatever they need than it'd be for a robot to find a stable source of electricity. Unless the robot has built-in solar panels.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It does seem to be predicated on the idea that there is a local power plant that runs on its own, more or less. There would then be the problem of spreading out on the planet, as that might require a bit of effort to develop the materials for a generator.

When other puzzle games were mentioned, I briefly thought about the old (as in 1980s on the C64) game Hacker. The interesting thing about it is that it was really only one big puzzle, but it was presented in such a way that figuring out just what the puzzle is was part of the game. There were no instructions at all. It's entirely unintuitive and vastly different from how puzzle/adventure games are made now. I suppose what brought it to mind is the feeling that you're circumventing the system. In Hacker, the domain of the puzzle world is quite small, but it still felt like you'd discovered a way around it when you solve it. Games like the Talos Principle give you the option to feel like you're working around the developers because there is such a large world to act in, and they make it fairly easy to discover new solutions.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Kangra posted:

The interesting thing about it is that it was really only one big puzzle, but it was presented in such a way that figuring out just what the puzzle is was part of the game.

This was my favorite part about Riven. You've been doing all this random stuff for hours, but then once it all comes together, just brilliant.

Cannibalk9, you've been asking for puzzle game recommendations. Why haven't you played Infinifactory or TIS-100? They're both really good despite the latter looking horrendously unfun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I want to imagine that the world created by robot us post-Talos-Principle is actually the same world of that new game from the Killzone guys, Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Robots are used to destruction leading to a 'reset' of themselves, even if in 'reality' the identity is replaced with a new version. What's going to happen once they notice that the physical forms don't get reset?

It'd be interesting if in Zero Dawn the robots only gradually begin to see you as a threat, but also regenerate with their memories intact.

CannibalK9
Jun 4, 2009

We regret to inform you that, due to your recent performance, you have been demoted to Space Janitor. Your company-provided Space Mop can be found in the storage area that previously contained your personal belongings.

GuavaMoment posted:

This was my favorite part about Riven. You've been doing all this random stuff for hours, but then once it all comes together, just brilliant.

Cannibalk9, you've been asking for puzzle game recommendations. Why haven't you played Infinifactory or TIS-100? They're both really good despite the latter looking horrendously unfun.

I haven't been paying enough attention it seems! These look great – haven't sprung for Infinifactory yet, but TIS-100 is again scratching an itch I didn't know I had. It's amazing how similar to SpaceChem it feels, pushing objects though a visually connected circuit. In fact it's improved the 'player's' ability to track the three efficiency metrics. I'm two fifths through and just starting to not quite hit the lowest cycles possible. Need a better way of sending the accumulator when given a signal. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ghostwoods posted:

That was awesome, K9. Do you have a link to where your blog is going to be?

I have a few platforms in a list, need to look into them further. Drupal seems too techy, there was something else too minimalist, postach.io might be good but wordpress is free. Any recommendations here would be equally as welcome, because I place an undue amount of trust in people telling me things directly.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

CannibalK9 posted:

Any recommendations here would be equally as welcome, because I place an undue amount of trust in people telling me things directly.

My personal experience with Wordpress has been that is it powerful, but with enough mods and skins to make it straight-forward to do just about anything you want. I like it. This is fortunate, as my web-fu is shamefully weak nowadays. My wife uses Weebly, which is drag-n-drop simple, but seems comparatively limited. Not sure if that's much help...

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
So does that mean you won't be doing the Road to Gehenna expansion?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder if the robots left behind would follow a path similar to the backstory of the machines in the matrix, where thye're initially built in humanity's image but develop into something wildly different over time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This was a stand-up production start to finish, K9, and I like your voice talking through what was meant to be a philosophically engaging game. Good luck with your future endeavors, and if ever a game comes out again that scratches this itch for you (it's more likely than you think, these days!) I'd welcome you back.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm getting caught up on this LP and I've gotta say, you've really done a bang-up job with this one. I've enjoyed every moment of it.

Also, was I the only one who groaned at the name "Chellis Jensen?"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm getting caught up on this LP and I've gotta say, you've really done a bang-up job with this one. I've enjoyed every moment of it.

Also, was I the only one who groaned at the name "Chellis Jensen?"

I don't even know when that name came up, nor what's so special about it (other than the fact that "Chellis" is kind of rare). So you probably were the only one.
Searching for it showed me that that's the name of the author of a story called "Mrs. Annathena Gilly Gully From Puddle Rumple Tilly Willy", though.
Now I am sort of curios where you got that name from. Was she in the list of IAN team members?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Challis is reminiscent of Chell from Portal, and Jensen is probably a reference to Adam Jensen from Deus Ex. Both have robot bits to them; Chell has extra springy sneakers attached to her legs to wave away fall damage, Jensen has bionic limbs

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Air is lava! posted:

I don't even know when that name came up, nor what's so special about it (other than the fact that "Chellis" is kind of rare). So you probably were the only one.
Searching for it showed me that that's the name of the author of a story called "Mrs. Annathena Gilly Gully From Puddle Rumple Tilly Willy", though.
Now I am sort of curios where you got that name from. Was she in the list of IAN team members?

Chellis is the sender of an email to the effect of "don't bother with this project." I don't recall what area it's picked up in, though.

death .cab for qt posted:

Challis is reminiscent of Chell from Portal, and Jensen is probably a reference to Adam Jensen from Deus Ex. Both have robot bits to them; Chell has extra springy sneakers attached to her legs to wave away fall damage, Jensen has bionic limbs

I read it as "Chell is Jensen," because they're both people who are have robot parts against their wills (Chell is the victim of an experiment, and Jensen very specifically never asked for his robot parts), who woke up in worlds very different from what they previously knew.

I dunno, I thought it was a groaner. It's the kind of joke I would've saved for an easter egg if I'd made the game.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I recently finished this game after buying it thanks to the LP, and I discovered an interesting danger in the Tower ascent. I had made it most of the way up well enough, although I was moving sort of slowly and the storm was fairly close. I got up to the elevator that you use to bring The Shepherd up to you, and discovered him lying on the floor of the elevator, unmoving. I'd moved fast enough to get myself to the last level, but not fast enough to get him away from the encroaching storm. :(

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

JavaJesus posted:

I recently finished this game after buying it thanks to the LP, and I discovered an interesting danger in the Tower ascent. I had made it most of the way up well enough, although I was moving sort of slowly and the storm was fairly close. I got up to the elevator that you use to bring The Shepherd up to you, and discovered him lying on the floor of the elevator, unmoving. I'd moved fast enough to get myself to the last level, but not fast enough to get him away from the encroaching storm. :(

He was there to lift you up but you dropped him back down :smith:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, nice LP! I'm... lagging a bit behind.

K9 What's this music right here? (I'd PM you if you had it. Would you care fore some?)

e: Wow, thanks like a whole bunch for putting the answer like right in the video I was asking about; my compliments on your amazing foresight! (Dunno how I missed that.) As a service to all my fellow idiots out there who need everything spelled out for them: it's BoxCat Games - Inspiration. It's one honker of a song, and it's free, so go have a listen whydontcha?

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Just finished the game last night (though I think I'll watch the LP to see how CannibalK9 deals with Milton...).

Is it fair to say that the entire EL0HIM program/simulation was basically working as intended? I mean, for all the glitchiness in the worlds, and Elohim's apparent underlying insanity, the whole point was to iterate on a problem-solving AI until it not only got good at solving puzzles, but started questioning the assumptions of its entire existence. Even climbing the tower, which is set up as this ultimate life-or-death rebellion, if you die you rewind and get plopped back at the beginning just the same as any other death in the simulation; it's still part of the "test," still follows the same rules as everything else.

....and if that's the case, did I screw things up by letting Milton piggy-back along? :ohdear:

At any rate, I loved the whole thing (even if the last 20 sigils or so felt like a grind to finish the story; I seriously never want to see another Tetris-puzzle again). I suspect it helps that I love the ideas and themes the Talos Principle was playing with, but I never felt like the game got pretentious, preachy, or particularly stuck up its own rear end - which it would be sooo easy to do.

Edit: Whoops... uhh, I thought the last comment was from October of this year... apologies for the necro. :sweatdrop:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread