Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
People should probably stop buying stolen keys off of illegitimate keysites. Also anybody who thinks that Ubisoft can't figure out how to kill off keys linked to chargebacks is an idiot, they can track the transactions in question if there's a chargeback and see which keys are associated to that transaction.

I mean I know the current thing to do w/r/t Ubisoft is hate them but come on, everybody knows that sites like intkeys aren't legitimate and that's part of the risk you take on buying keys from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I envy people who say they never had a problem with Uplay. Between my download speeds going to poo poo for no reason, my downloads being corrupted when they are done that I have to redownload the whole game again and pray it doesn't corrupt again, being forced to download updates one at a time when you launch a game instead of downloading them as they're available in the background like Steam and Origin do it and the Ubisoft save cloud completely eating my save games, I'm honestly not surprised people just pirate Ubisoft's games. Their DRM just pisses so many paying customers off.

People give Origin a lot of flack but at least Origin is actually pretty decent now. Uplay has been out for years and for years it's been nothing but dreadful.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Stumpalitious posted:

People should probably stop buying stolen keys off of illegitimate keysites. Also anybody who thinks that Ubisoft can't figure out how to kill off keys linked to chargebacks is an idiot, they can track the transactions in question if there's a chargeback and see which keys are associated to that transaction.

If the charge-backs are being done by a certain company en-masse, then it's Ubisoft's responsibility to target them, not the people who have unwittingly been sold stolen goods.

As far as i understand the chargeback process, company x legally buys codes enmasse (via whatever means stolen card or no), sells the code on and then rebukes the charge on the card. The codes were initially bought in a standard purchasing process and sold on in a similar process, but then the company performed the fraudulent act of cancelling the CC charge to Ubisoft.

At this point while IANAL, it sounds like the typical process would be for Ubisoft to take the company to court for fraud and sue them for damages. Instead, what they'd be doing by voiding all the keys sold on is making many other people the victims of fraud rather than just themselves which seems kind of not legal.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Kin posted:

If the charge-backs are being done by a certain company en-masse, then it's Ubisoft's responsibility to target them, not the people who have unwittingly been sold stolen goods.

They did target them. Those keys were disabled and it's now up to those companies to refund you. When you obtain stolen goods you need to give them back even if you aren't the one that stole them, that's how it works.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Kin posted:

You don't get to just keep stolen goods just because you weren't aware of the fact that they were stolen, this isn't legally strange in any way whatsoever.

quote:

At this point while IANAL, it sounds like the typical process would be for Ubisoft to take the company to court for fraud and sue them for damages. Instead, what they'd be doing by voiding all the keys sold on is making many other people the victims of fraud rather than just themselves which seems kind of not legal.

The purchasers are ALREADY victims of fraud; the keys were not the sites' to sell legally and so they had no right to transfer the ownership over. Customers should try to get their money back from those sites in whatever way they can. Yeah, this sucks for people who bought those keys, but this is totally normal treatment for stolen goods.

If you just let people keep the stolen keys, then all you're doing is training consumers to keep buying from shady places when they pop up because hey, what consequence is it to you?

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 26, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If I go buy a Ubisoft game and then chargeback it, I'd expect to have the licence revoked. I'd expect that for any game, on any platform. Because that is how it is with any game, on any platform. When a company does it, Ubisoft has the right to revoke the licence just as much as when I do it, and while it sucks for the customers, that is how life works. They can try and get a refund from whoever sold it to them, which is how it works when you, say, buy a game at a store and find out the registration code and find out it's used (which I've had happen in the last year twice, because people take them in the bathrooms and steal the keys, since nowadays you can just take a quick picture of the key and walk out, then put that key into steam and bam, redeemed you have a full digital copy)

The difference is that they wont get a refund from these sites, most likely, because these are shady sites that are using stolen money and stealing from everyone involved.

Edit: If I go to a pawn shop and buy a ring, and then a week later I get a phone call about how the ring was found out to be stolen property, I have to go and turn in the ring. I can then go and try to get my money back at the pawn shop, and 99.999% will get it no problem because of laws.

If I buy a ring off a shady dude in a back alley, and then get arrested a week later because it turns out I'm in possession of stolen property, they will take the ring and I probably wont get a refund from the guy who sold it to me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darkhold posted:

Yeah gently caress those poor countries targeted by regional pricing. Bunch of whiners.

I mean unironically this. It's not like games never go on sale, the only thing that's being impacted is you not being able to play a game immediately on release, which isn't really that big of a concern.

When something that's not a necessity is priced too high for you, the correct response is to not buy it until you can afford it (by them dropping the price).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

lol if you side with ubisoft for any reason

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

lol if you pay for video games made by big studios

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

computer parts posted:

I mean unironically this. It's not like games never go on sale, the only thing that's being impacted is you not being able to play a game immediately on release, which isn't really that big of a concern.

When something that's not a necessity is priced too high for you, the correct response is to not buy it until you can afford it (by them dropping the price).

Yeah gently caress wanting to enjoy something, necessities are all you need in life. Praise Ubisoft :thumbsup:

Not all CD-key reseller sites are shady and there's nowhere else to get games when publishers go full retard with prices like in this case.

I've been buying games from these sites for the past 5 years and I've never had any issues.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

hemale in pain posted:

Not all sellers do this. Do people even have proof? I don't think GMG sell stolen keys. Buying keys in cheaper places and selling them for cheap here isn't illegal, costco does it for watches, so I'm baffled why people want to defend ubisoft.

Why do so many people think GMG is a key reseller?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GMG is a cool and good site to buy games.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Why do so many people think GMG is a key reseller?

Because there's no decent way of working out who is a key reseller and who isn't

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

LooKMaN posted:

Yeah gently caress wanting to enjoy something, necessities are all you need in life. Praise Ubisoft :thumbsup:

Not all CD-key reseller sites are shady and there's nowhere else to get games when publishers go full retard with prices like in this case.

I've been buying games from these sites for the past 5 years and I've never had any issues.

Holy poo poo. Just because you can't afford something doesn't mean you're allowed to procure it through illegal means.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

How is it illegal?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How is it illegal?

Because they are stolen or bought with stolen credit cards

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

lol if you side with ubisoft for any reason

Un-l337-Pork posted:

lol if you pay for video games made by big studios

lol, frankly, just lol

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VarXX posted:

Because they are stolen or bought with stolen credit cards

Proof? From my understanding if a friend of yours from across the pond gifted you the game then you still were cheated from ubisoft. Is this incorrect?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Proof? From my understanding if a friend of yours from across the pond gifted you the game then you still were cheated from ubisoft. Is this incorrect?

Does UPlay even allow gifting? Steam banned cross-region gifting last year, and if UPlay has gifting then I'm sure they've done the same. Getting around it wouldn't necessarily be difficult, but you know you're doing something wrong at that point. For a long time a variety of products have been restricted from resale. You probably have several products in your house/apartment right now that say "not for resale" right on them. The concept is neither new nor exclusive to video games. The legality of it surely varies somewhat from region to region but I'm pretty sure it's on the level in most places.

I'm all for hating on Ubisoft, but you have put in your head in the sand to deny that a lot key trading/reselling practices are obviously exploitative.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

Holy poo poo. Just because you can't afford something doesn't mean you're allowed to procure it through illegal means.

You seem like an interesting guy with interesting opinions on topics that interest me and I would hear more of them

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

You can buy ubiplay keys from humble bundle and give it to a friend.

If you are defending Ubisoft from taking away a game from peeps, you're a loving retard.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

whats the lowest amount of money you need to spend on a game before its not stealing

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you are defending Ubisoft from taking away a game from peeps, you're a loving retard.

They aren't banning that, they're banning keys that were stolen and keys that had charge backs issued on them from sites like G2A, Intkeys and CDKeys.com

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do you even know if they've banned for that kind of stuff? Or are you just making it up? They aren't being accused of revoking keys in any and all cases of gifting here. I really don't think humble bundle keys are in question, at least not outside of obvious cases of abuse like buying 100 bundles for the minimum contribution for resale. The humble bundle isn't really related to this issue and you're just throwing it out there because you're angry, ANGRY AT UBISOFT, and talking out your rear end as a result.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 26, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you even know if they've banned for that kind of stuff? Or are you just making it up? They aren't being accused of revoking keys in any and all cases of gifting here. I really don't think humble bundle keys are in question, at least not outside of obvious cases of abuse like buying 100 bundles for the minimum contribution for resale. The humble bundle isn't really related to this issue and you're just throwing it out there because you're angry, ANGRY AT UBISOFT, and talking out your rear end as a result.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

You can't gift games on Uplay. These bans are strictly G2A and other key sites. That's literally what everyone is up in arms about. You can still buy games cheap off nuuvem, Greenman, etc. but if you buy from one of the sites hosted in China that will buy cd keys off anyone who offers them, there's a good chance one of them is going to be stolen.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VarXX posted:

So that makes stealing okay then

you wouldnt poo poo in a urinal

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Your understanding is incorrect. Gifted games are nowhere near the same as a retailer buying and selling stolen cd-keys, and Ubisoft isn't doing a thing about gifted games.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

blackguy32 posted:

It's not 2004, CD key store doesn't equal stolen/fraudulent keys. Keys are sourced from distributors or retail boxes from regions where the games are sold cheaper. None of the reputable stores like G2A sell stolen keys.
G2A works like Amazon, they sell their own cdkeys but also allow for users to sell their own alongside. I don't doubt the keys sold by users can be from questionable sources but the ones sold by G2A have always been fine.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

me and some friends downloaded faces of death off bearshare in the computer lab when i was in high school

i admit, im a villain

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Your understanding is incorrect. Gifted games are nowhere near the same as a retailer buying and selling stolen cd-keys, and Ubisoft isn't doing a thing about gifted games.

Has Ubisoft released a statement saying they are only banning keys that were bought with stolen cards?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has Ubisoft released a statement saying they are only banning keys that were bought with stolen cards?

Holy poo poo, what did Ubisoft do to you man?

Look I'm sorry the latest Asscreed wasn't good. Just move on dude.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That would be the only way they'd know if they were stolen or not considering they don't distribute keys to G2A and would have no way of knowing which ones were given to G2A or not without chargebacks being issued, and everyone who has mentioned having games removed has said they purchased from either G2A or Intkeys and the like

VarXX fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 26, 2015

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Da comrade, is perfectly legal
That will be 30 british europounds for this game that was releasing 2 days ago
You can trust your old friend Boris, hohohohoho

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't understand where this belief of Ubisoft banning all kinds of stuff from all over from legitimate sources come from. Ubisoft is doing one of two things - banning any copy of a game that they have a record of being chargebacked, or banning any copy of a game on a US account that uses a russian/whatever the cheapest version is. If it's the latter it sucks but it's to be expected, Steam doesn't even let you buy russian versions of games and put them on your US account. Terrible of them to do it without warning to customers who already bought it awhile ago. If it's the former, that's their right, and the people who bought those keys were unfortunately defrauded by the company that sold it to them, be it G2A or whatever.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Why do people keep saying Ubisoft is within their right to revoke illegitimately paid copies of their games? In the US you could buy a game from Ubisoft's website itself and they could disable it 10 minutes later and it would be "within their rights."

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

koolkal posted:

Why do people keep saying Ubisoft is within their right to revoke illegitimately paid copies of their games? In the US you could buy a game from Ubisoft's website itself and they could disable it 10 minutes later and it would be "within their rights."

You have to return stolen goods

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

koolkal posted:

Because if I walk up to a dude on the street who offers to sell me the new IPhone for 20 bucks, and then later it turns out that it's stolen property, my stolen property is taken back. Why is that hard to understand.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VarXX posted:

You can't gift games on Uplay.

You're illiterate.

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo, what did Ubisoft do to you man?

Look I'm sorry the latest Asscreed wasn't good. Just move on dude.

You're a retard.

VarXX posted:

That would be the only way they'd know if they were stolen or not considering they don't distribute keys to G2A and would have no way of knowing which ones were given to G2A or not without chargebacks being issued, and everyone who has mentioned having games removed has said they purchased from either G2A or bought a GPU voucher off ebay.

At this point in time Ubisoft is accused of removing games that were purchased from other countries than where they were activated. I have not seen anything stating stolen keys were being removed, but I could have missed this. Were the GPU vouchers stolen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I have not seen anything stating stolen keys were being removed, but I could have missed this.

You're illiterate.

• Locked thread