Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Welcome to my lovely Anno 2070 thread! In this thread I hope to discuss ways to best the game Anno 2070, its expansions, and make totally cool new friends! Get it on Steam for $30!

What is Anno 2070?

It's a city builder/resource management game released by Ubisoft two years ago for people who enjoy having two jobs. It requires Ubisoft's UPlay to work, though there is an offline mode ( :barf: ) Offline mode doesn't grant you the ability to store items and upgrades in your persistent ARK to use in other games. As of now there is an expansion pack released called Deep Ocean that takes you under the waves to try your luck there. Tame and wrangle dolphins and sharks to build your undersea laboratory.

There's nothing like a grueling day in the salt mines of your 9 to 5 and then coming home to the demands of empire building in the not so distant future. Anno 2070 is a city builder game set in the year 2070. Humanity has caused the polar ice caps to melt and has flooded the Earth in biblical proportions. It's your job to take charge of an ARK (your base of operations) and colonize the few remaining patches of dry land and increase the presence of your faction in the area. Think Waterworld but with cleaner people and no paper currency.

So what's the deal?

As an ARK commander you will be responsible for increasing the presence and role of your respective factions in this flooded world. Life as we know it is over, and into the hands of a soulless mega corporation or feel-good eco super power do we put our trust. Additionally, there is a third faction, the S.A.A.T, or Scientific Academy of Advanced Technologies, but they are not playable and serve as an impartial supportive role in the gameworld.

What faction is the best? I like Elves and magic.

The factions are pretty diametrically opposed in how they go about saving humanity.

The Eden Initiative
The Eco

These are your eco people. Everything they do takes the ecological consequences their actions will have on the Earth. They realize that it was humans who all but killed their species, and as a result, are absolutely averse to the technology and lifestyle that brought about the quasi-apocalypse. They shun personal wealth, ambition, and greed. They favor a collectivist approach to solving problems and they believe in sharing and pooling what little natural resources can be found. If you like the image of a huge, modern city that is made from 100% sustainable, biodegradable, recycled material, look no further than the Eden Initiative. Don't let the name fool you, though. They have access to some of the cooler tech in the game like atmosphere manipulators, weather control stations, solar power, and their end game monument becomes a part of the island you plant it on. Very advanced eco-friendly technology.

The Global Trust
The Tycoons

These are your soulless mega corporations in a suit. Everything they do throws caution to the pollution choked wind so long as it advances their personal standing within the company and turns a profit. These are the die hard Wall Street types who probably bought their way into whatever inter-catasrophe safe havens were available during the melting of the ice caps. They used their considerable personal wealth to secure their salvation, met a few like minded people, and formed this global super power. They pride themselves on being the worlds largest supplier of energy, and they have the largest collection of raw materials that can be found on our flooded Earth. They believe that personal initiative is what matters and that above all else, the company comes first. People in the Global Trust won't think twice about dicking over their friends as long as they get a promotion. These people still adhere to the way we are living now: strip mining and burning coal for energy, nuclear power, hydro-electric dams, and they like to use huge strip mining modules to rip the precious minerals from the earth. If you don't mind turning the world into a pollution choked hell then go get your custom made cuff-links and don't forget your blackberry.

To be fair, there is a total bias in the way these two factions are designed. The eco initiative requires tea, sushi, and 'functional food' harvested from algae to satisfy the needs of your citizens, allowing them to advance to the next tier of technology. The Global Trust requires liquor, cheese burgers, champaign with truffles, lobster, flashy jewelry, and finally pharmaceuticals to advance to the highest tier of technology. Its like Ubisoft looked at everything wrong and corrupt with American capitalist society and made it hand wringing, cartoonishly evil. Eco are the good guys, Trust are the bad guys.

You said it was harder than SimCIty, what did you mean?

Simcity lets you build on a huge, continuous map that doesn't need the coordination of logistics, cautious spending, and strategic planning. You get what can be considered a whole continent to play with. Anno 2070 flooded the earth, and your totally cool arcology ridden SimCity is now 97 feet below sea level, and your skyscrapers are being repurposed by my rubble recyclers underwater to provide the building modules needed to construct my ecologically friendly island city. Anno 2070 takes your huge playing sector and chops it up into up to 11 islands of various size. Each island will have its own unique fertility, raw materials, and size that you need to strategically utilize if you hope to ever build your faction monument.

So what? It's just a city builder like SimCity only with more water. I've been playing SimCity since 2K, I remember the priscilla cheat code, and gently caress you

You and me both buddy! While it is a city builder, it's also a resource management simulator. Think for a second all the moving pieces you'd need to make a chain of islands self-sufficient, while at the same time feeding their unique materials back to your home island so you can build it up. Not only do you need to worry about whats going on top side, but this game is unique to SimCity in that it goes underwater. Since the Earth flooded, much of the raw materials the Earth had are still there, only now their under hundreds of feet of water. How you get to them depends on your technology.

Well that sounds unique. What about that third faction you mentioned, the SAAT?

Scientific Academy of Advanced Technology
The Tech

The SAAT is a collective of technologically savvy researchers and scientists headed by a super advanced AI named F.A.T.H.E.R, because all the cliche in the world was washed away in the great flood. They are not a playable faction, but as you play through the game as either of the two main factions, they will make their technology available to you for 10,000 credits. This is what opens up a totally new world (literally) for you by granting you access to researchers who will develop your underwater oil platforms, algae farms, corral birthing facilities, submarines, and all kinds of advanced polymers and building materials needed to sustain a society of the technologically super advanced. Use their tech to further the ambitions and projection of your chosen faction. After all, you won't be able to farm all your required materials on your island. Diamonds, oil, algae etc. must all be farmed underwater.

I guess it is pretty different than SimCity. Anything else?

There is combat! Yes, not only do you have to worry about maintaining a supply chain of 15+ unique materials from 7 different islands and 4 underwater plateaus, but you have to do it all while not pissing off the other faction to the point they declare war on you, or being shanghai'd by pirates. Combat in this game is like combat in Warcraft III or Starcraft, neutered and doped up on quaaludes to a point of ease that, relatively speaking, is as docile as a lamb. Fighting happens only with surface ships and submarines, and rather than blow up all your enemies buildings, you instead sink their ships and disrupt their supply chains, essentially starving them. Your islands can have defence poins and turrets installed, submarines can sink surface ships, unless those surface ships have sonar or combat drones, or if their fleet is simply bigger than yours. While combat is a secondary part to the game, it's still there and is relevant.

Of course, you can go total full-blown care bear and not have any combat in your game if you choose, and I would suggest it for the beginner. And for advanced player too because gently caress that.

On top of that, the games you play and save are persistent. Actions you take in one continuous game will be felt in another continuous game you decide to play.

LEVELING

Yes, Ubisoft included a sort of leveling system. The more you play and the more quests you complete in-game, the more points you are awarded based on the faction whose quests you complete. Do you want to go full Mother Earth boner? Dump your points into the Eden Initiative. Choosing a faction to level doesn't really do much that I can tell other than unlock cosmetic things and grant you passive bonuses in game like money generation. I dunno, I'm not that far into it yet, but so far I'm leveling up with SAAT even though I totally don't like the idea of letting a super computer AI run my life. The idea of living in a bubble under the sea while I farm geothermal energy from a fissure in a trench at the bottom of the ocean is just too cool to pass up.

It's a pretty game.

A shot of the underwater aspect.

A typical cityscape.

Here is a look at the three major faction monuments you can build.

Starting in the back we have the Technology monument you can build if you go all out SAAT, with the Eco Initiative Leisure Center (lazy euros) monument in the middle, and finally the Global Trust Corporate HQ in the foreground. If you look hard enough, you can see some middle-management schmo plunging to his death from a 44th storey window.

There are many more aspects to the game I haven't hit on yet, but in the interest of OP length, just ask. If you'd like

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Place holder.

I searched the forums and didn't find a thread for this game. Odd considering it is pretty cool.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417399

Hasn't been posted in since October of last year though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Well gently caress. Searching for 'Anno 2070' didn't bring it up, I guess because it's about the Deep Ocean expansion.

• Locked thread