Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nessa posted:

Lolita's a good place to look! Thanks!

I've actually done a lot of thinking about the kinds of clothes and colours that all the characters will wear.

Maia trends towards soft, feminine shades of pink, white and warm browns, with occasional accents in burgundy or pale yellow. Frilly, youthful clothes with bows, no necklines deeper than a square or semi-sweetheart. Always skirts and dresses, never pants. Hemlines generally never higher than a few inches above the knee. Winter wear would include cozy turtlenecks and sweater dresses with cutesey patterns of bunnies, hearts, and sweets. She's very much a sweet lolita type. She doesn't wear a lot of accessories beyond hair ties and a simple necklace.

Heather is lazy and prefers comfort over all else, but still tries to stay fashionable. Her colours are various pinks, purples, yellows and greys, with occasional orange or red. She goes for boat necks and off the shoulder styles. Comfy, but fitted t-shirts and leggings paired with short skirts or shorts, ditching the leggings in summer. Simple, lace up sneakers are her footwear of choice. She wears a lot of her clothing in layers and wears over sized sweaters and slouchy boots in winter. She'd kind of a put-together slob with the odd paint splatter stained into her clothes.

I've actually even taken some photos of mannequins in the mall if they're wearing an outfit in the right style. I like having trendy clothes to base the looks on.

This is a great start! It seems like you've got pretty good ideas, it's just that you're relying too much on what a magical girl comic "should be", if that makes sense. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path- look at Madoka and Kill la Kill for examples of magical girl shows that have gone completely off beat- obviously don't use them to base on, but more as an inspiration to do weird, different things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

This is a great start! It seems like you've got pretty good ideas, it's just that you're relying too much on what a magical girl comic "should be", if that makes sense. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path- look at Madoka and Kill la Kill for examples of magical girl shows that have gone completely off beat- obviously don't use them to base on, but more as an inspiration to do weird, different things!

Thanks! I'm going to peruse through more lolita dresses and draw up some samples.

One of the things I like most about Madoka is that the outfits are so well designed. They're all very different, but still unified and recognizable as magical girls that belong to the same series.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I made a quick thing to throw some ideas about Maia that some other people have brought up (I readily admit I suck hard at anime style things, so this is lovely. Also my tablet pen is starting to poo poo itself. ):

So this is what I meant by using things kind of as a basis, but still building off and going in your own way. From what I see of your original design, it's very kind of repetitive (which isn't always a bad thing, but in this case comes off as a little dull imo). So One of the things you could do is break it up a bit. It's also a little confusing as to what her age is supposed to be: her costume says very young, but the way you describe her seems a little older, like a teenager. This is something you could work on- is she very young (pre-teen?) or teenaged?

Also remember that you will be drawing this character a lot. Over and over again for many panels- that corset looks adorable, as do the ballet ribbons, but they're also going to be a pain in the rear end to draw over and over again. Sometimes, it's better to go for something more simple for ease of drawing.

You don't have to take any of this to heart, obviously, but I thought I'd point it out.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

So I made a quick thing to throw some ideas about Maia that some other people have brought up (I readily admit I suck hard at anime style things, so this is lovely. Also my tablet pen is starting to poo poo itself. ):

So this is what I meant by using things kind of as a basis, but still building off and going in your own way. From what I see of your original design, it's very kind of repetitive (which isn't always a bad thing, but in this case comes off as a little dull imo). So One of the things you could do is break it up a bit. It's also a little confusing as to what her age is supposed to be: her costume says very young, but the way you describe her seems a little older, like a teenager. This is something you could work on- is she very young (pre-teen?) or teenaged?

Also remember that you will be drawing this character a lot. Over and over again for many panels- that corset looks adorable, as do the ballet ribbons, but they're also going to be a pain in the rear end to draw over and over again. Sometimes, it's better to go for something more simple for ease of drawing.

You don't have to take any of this to heart, obviously, but I thought I'd point it out.

Yeah, I realized that the costume details are going to be difficult drawing over and over again.:/ I love the way you've drawn her hair, by the way, I still have a lot of difficulties drawing hair. I see where you're going with the outfit too.

She's supposed to be around 14, while Heather is 16. I've drawn her as being a little shorter than Heather.

This is another one I sketched out after looking at a bunch of other dresses. Does it still look too derivative?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nessa posted:

Yeah, I realized that the costume details are going to be difficult drawing over and over again.:/ I love the way you've drawn her hair, by the way, I still have a lot of difficulties drawing hair. I see where you're going with the outfit too.

She's supposed to be around 14, while Heather is 16. I've drawn her as being a little shorter than Heather.

This is another one I sketched out after looking at a bunch of other dresses. Does it still look too derivative?

Nope! Looks fine! As for actual drawing tips, I assume you're following the CC thread for beginners here? There's also a ton of online things you can use for resources. keep at it!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

Nope! Looks fine! As for actual drawing tips, I assume you're following the CC thread for beginners here? There's also a ton of online things you can use for resources. keep at it!

I'm mostly just following the Making Comics thread. I'll admit I've been drawing for a decade with little improvement, but I think I've come a long way in the past year or so.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nessa posted:

I'm mostly just following the Making Comics thread. I'll admit I've been drawing for a decade with little improvement, but I think I've come a long way in the past year or so.

Hmmm. That's part of your problem- even if you intend to only do comics, it's still vital that you learn the fundamentals of art. Take a look through the beginner's thread here, it's chock full of resources. Being able to draw realistically will also help you even if you prefer anime style- in fact, every single mangaka and animator had to start at square one. Will you see progress even if you don't? Sure, but it'll be extremely slow and you'll likely always have serious fundamental issues.

I don't mean to sound super harsh, but I wouldn't have guessed you've been drawing for a decade. Please start at the basics, it'll make your work so much better and in the long run, easier.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

Hmmm. That's part of your problem- even if you intend to only do comics, it's still vital that you learn the fundamentals of art. Take a look through the beginner's thread here, it's chock full of resources. Being able to draw realistically will also help you even if you prefer anime style- in fact, every single mangaka and animator had to start at square one. Will you see progress even if you don't? Sure, but it'll be extremely slow and you'll likely always have serious fundamental issues.

I don't mean to sound super harsh, but I wouldn't have guessed you've been drawing for a decade. Please start at the basics, it'll make your work so much better and in the long run, easier.

I did take a drawing course last year and have been working on my fundamentals and doing life drawing. I was even Mod Challenged to draw a bunch of eggs in charcoal last year. I'm doing my best.

Actually, I guess it would be more accurate to say I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil, it's just been a decade since I became interested in modern comic art. I just never improved in the way that all my peers did, so it's a bit harder for me, maybe because I didn't have access to any art classes. I just got sick and tired of everyone laughing at me, so I decided to do something about it. The course I'll be taking in the fall will also have an Illustration Fundamentals course that I'll be looking forward to.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, I've managed to stop procrastinating over not drawing, but now I need to stop procrastinating over drawing the things I want to instead of doodling aimlessly or copying stuff, so have a sad wolfman:

This is Steve, future star of Kaiju Steve: Family Man, in which a man tries to put his life back together after drunkenly sciencing himself into a building-sized monster. I'm doing NaNoMangO this June after wussing out of the last one (feel free to hold me to that), so I need to get my arse in gear and draw some characters.

I want his design to be like a werewolfgorilla of sorts, with a bit of DBZ Great Ape thrown in and a hangdog expression, which I think I've got down there, so let's have a stab at adding a body:

Just loving terrible. He's kind of schlubby but far too human - I concentrated on the pose but then everything else kind of fell by the wayside; I should have started with his design first, then poses second.

So tomorrow I'll try for a much better design. It still takes me forever to draw anything, even sketches, but if I haven't posted by the end of the weekend then please berate me soundly.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'd suggest getting really loose with your design. You've already said you want it to look more gorilla-like, so try pushing in that direction. Gorillas have stumpier legs, compared to their arms and they don't stand upright for long. It's a little difficult to make a fully upright character look right walking digitigrade (on its toes like a dog or cat) instead of plantigrade (flat feet like humans and apes). Is your creature going to move upright like a person or hunched over like a gorilla? In this case, I went upright for the pose, but I'd probably have it on all fours most of the time because of the feet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's a lot closer to what I was going for, albeit a lot more cuddly. He's going to start out being out of shape, hunched and defeated and get slimmer, more confident and purposeful as time goes on, so I probably need to design him as a monster-wrasslin' badass first, then sclubb him up.

First, though, I've googled some other monster designs (including a couple of weregorillawolf things) so I can have another pass at his design tonight and see what I come up with. Basically I did everything backwards.

I do need to loosen up in my drawing, which has always been a problem for me, and it would let me sketch a lot, lot faster, so I'll try! Every fibre of my being tells me to be incredibly slow and methodical, so I guess we'll see tonight how that goes. Probably extremely badly at first, but it's all a learning curve I guess!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Try getting a sharpie marker and a big pad of cheap, crappy paper and just draw a bunch of stuff. Try drawing things with motion or action like people walking, running, biking, animals jumping around, whatever. You can use a ballpoint pen to throw down a line of action if you need it, but just get wild with a marker. Really helps loosen up your drawing muscles.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did some Sharpie sketches then had a look through some references and came up with this:

That's a lot more like I originally intended, so in hindsight I probably should have described him as a Crash Bandicoot reject :keke: - the hair was a challenge, because it's meant to be thick and wild and I am damned if I know how to draw that poo poo, but it'll do for a sketch. The hands need to be chunked out like a gorilla and probably made a bit bigger, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. It could still be a bit looser, particularly the legs, but I'll have all weekend to crank out some more sketches.

e: Added a tiny man to show his height.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I might go lion tail or something if you want to suggest "not totally a werewolf".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A lion's tail might be too thin to balance his design out, but I should have looked at some lions for his hair/mane, so I'll do that next. I like the legs you've done there, I'll practice drawing something similar.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 17, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
so simple base design
somehow became this

My character design skill seems to always go along the lines of 'make a really cool toy, make up poo poo later'. So somehow ended up with a robot biker chick cobbled together from jet engine parts.
I dunno, I feel like something is off kilter aside from the fact she can't naturally hold all that stuff up (it's a SCIENCE thing)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 17, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
This seems like a good place to ask: how the hell do you draw a design consistently, time and time and time again? Because I can't seem to do it. I can't even seem to draw someone's face the same way twice.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
that's pretty much why most of my initial drawings of any character is just a reference sheet: It helps make complicated or awkward designs easier to follow. That's the best thing to do right after you've really decided on what you want from any character you've made. (or even beforehand, in my case)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 20, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Question, how do you guys learn to speed up? Which I guess I know the basics of (ie. practice) but for example, here's my output from today:

Which is a slight improvement on before, but it currently takes me anywhere from 60 - 90 mins to get something like this done, which is ridiculous. 10-20 mins can pass in the blink of an eye, a bit like dozing off without realizing it while sitting down. It's been a big problem for me even when doing gesture drawings - my entire perception of time seems to fly out of the loving window and I can't stay within what is generally thought of as a reasonable time limit without having to rush to the point of complete illegibility.

Thoughts? Should I just spend more time doing timed sketches until my brain adjusts? Can I beat myself in the head with a piece of surgical two-by-four until it cooperates? Is it time for the long overdue return of trepanning?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 19, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Set a timer. Draw as much as you can before it goes off. Do it again, start over and try to do more. Work on prioritizing and getting those hand movements quick, fluid, and instinctive.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Question, how do you guys learn to speed up? Which I guess I know the basics of (ie. practice) but for example, here's my output from today:

Thoughts? Should I just spend more time doing timed sketches until my brain adjusts? Can I beat myself in the head with a piece of surgical two-by-four until it cooperates? Is it time for the long overdue return of trepanning?

Best advice I can give is start very general with loose, soft lines and try to get a feel for the character's overall pose/figure, how weight is distributed, etc before you do anything else. If you can nail that, even if there are like zero details it should still look good and help you solidify how you want to draw the character. For gestures in particular, details and completing every line isn't important. You just want to be able to clearly see the pose/motion/etc (Flow, Rhythm whatever you want to call it). That trumps even anatomy/proportion when it comes to pure gesture.

Also something I've noticed that I think is not a terribly rare thing is that sometimes I can feel and visualize a pose fairly quickly, other times it's more difficult. Sometimes if I have trouble getting a feel for a pose, I can spend a lot of time trying to fix it but nothing really gels together and I end up just wasting a lot of time. In that case I'm just better off starting over and accepting that sometimes a drawing isn't going to work and that's okay. Crumple it up, toss it in the garbage and start over. Knowing when to quit a drawing can save you tons of time. Like 10 sketches in an hour with like 3-4 of them being good is going to feel much better than 1 drawing that you've agonized over for the entire time frame and still aren't happy with. You gotta ditch the notion that every drawing needs to be of a certain quality and just be willing to call it and start a new one. Also even if you are doing quick sketches there is nothing wrong with taking a little time to think things through and don't forget you can use reference too when you get stuck visualizing something. It's not cheating!

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 20, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okeydokey, I'll start with a minute long timer and see how I go.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've been working on one of my character's reference sheet:

You see, it's a fish with a star-shaped head, a starfish if you will.

Okay but puns aside, I've been working on this character for a short film my animation class is going to work on this semester. The initial design piqued my interest, but now that I've been messing around with it I've been running into some issues with properly expressing its gesture. Though I've gotten over that a bit by adapting its movements to rely more on its tentacles to move about, it still makes the more "fish-like" poses hard to recognize. I don't know if I should just axe that line of motion completely and just fully go with the more alien-like movements or tool around with its design to make it easier to show off fish-y swimming movements (which I still don't know if it'll be part of the film). Also what do you guys think about the color rendering so far? It's nothing spectacular, but it's my first time really going through the color wheel to get interesting colors to match with since the film has a very sci-fi theme.

Here's some real rough gestural sketches of it in a few poses.

(In retrospect, the only one that exhibits my issue is the top left one...)

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Maybe you should take a look at octopus movement cues (adapted for five limbs) rather than fish ones. Especially for those walking poses at the bottom - are those feet, or just bended tentacles?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

chthonic bell posted:

This seems like a good place to ask: how the hell do you draw a design consistently, time and time and time again? Because I can't seem to do it. I can't even seem to draw someone's face the same way twice.

The main answer as always is "practice" but there's certain things you can do to help--try to establish very solid body and face proportions and do a turnaround or something with them marked out. Stuff that shows the distance between top of the head and eyeline, nose width, etc. It helps to have proportions that fall along easy-to-remember lines, too, splitting the body and head into halves and thirds and quarters. If I can remember that a guy's head is twice as tall as it is wide, and his eyeline is 1/3 of the way down the face, and the mouth is another 1/3 down the face, that's giving me a whole lot to start with already.

It really helps to give a design a few very recognizable characteristics that you can always get right, and hang the rest of the lesser details on that framework. That way if you mess more minor stuff up the character will still always read as who they're supposed to be.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mimir posted:

Maybe you should take a look at octopus movement cues (adapted for five limbs) rather than fish ones. Especially for those walking poses at the bottom - are those feet, or just bended tentacles?

:doh: I should have thought about octopi, of course! I've gotta check that out later tonight. Also to the second part, it's supposed to be running on its tentacles, yeah.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Here is something I'd be interested in feedback on: this character came to me in a bolt of inspiration the other day and I drew a design for him + lots of other scattered lines/ideas. He's supposed to be an enemy and possible love interest for the heroine in this comic I'm working on, but I'm worried he looks a little too... manufactured? Like "oh haha a ridiculous hot guy in tight clothes quelle suprise," I dunno.

-He's a thief, so the pouches on his thighs are supposed to hold his tools. The vest should be some kind of very light, snug-fitting armor with a little padding over the chest/back?

-It's a superhero comic so I felt like he needs some kind of identifiable gimmick, hence the puzzle piece theme

-are his bangs stupid? I'm not good at hair styling

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Is he supposed to come off as smarmy? He seems smarmy.

I'd vote for running your character design through a thumbnailed story or two in its most basic form to get more of a sense of what the character's supposed to be doing. You'll probably come up with a lot more reasons for him to either wear his pouch or ditch in in favor of a super-hero-y multitool gadget or something.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I'm having the hardest time figuring out what to do with this. should I make the legs bigger? the proportions on the 'coffin armor' just feel off and I can't quite place what's wrong with it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

GreatJob posted:

Is he supposed to come off as smarmy? He seems smarmy.

I'd vote for running your character design through a thumbnailed story or two in its most basic form to get more of a sense of what the character's supposed to be doing. You'll probably come up with a lot more reasons for him to either wear his pouch or ditch in in favor of a super-hero-y multitool gadget or something.

Yeah that's kind of my issue I think. He may come across as too obviously crafted to be a standard male love interest hence the 'smarmy' feeling.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm having the hardest time figuring out what to do with this. should I make the legs bigger? the proportions on the 'coffin armor' just feel off and I can't quite place what's wrong with it.

What kind of shape are you looking to do with it? "Coffin Armor" makes me think you're going for something with a really bulky frame?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Harime Nui posted:

What kind of shape are you looking to do with it? "Coffin Armor" makes me think you're going for something with a really bulky frame?

Pretty much. It's a thing meant to house the heavily damaged version of the character, whose been reduced to only having their left arm, head, and torso left. When I say 'coffin' I mean it in an almost literal way.
The problem is it just feels like the torso on the armor has too much emphasis as it currently is. Am I overthinking this?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The design you have looks okay to me, but it doesn't exactly bespeak toughness or solidity. Maybe you could give some of the hardpoints some visible layers for an ablative look?

Like I think the reason it doesn't look 'sturdy' to me is the turbine look of the shoulders is breaking up the profile. You might want to give it more of a 'roofed' outline, having it sloped/descend down to the arms so it looks tougher (plus that might give it more of a hexagonal outline, hence Coffin)

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 31, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

is this on the right path?

E: did some pretty big changes.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 31, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

so simple base design
somehow became this

My character design skill seems to always go along the lines of 'make a really cool toy, make up poo poo later'. So somehow ended up with a robot biker chick cobbled together from jet engine parts.
I dunno, I feel like something is off kilter aside from the fact she can't naturally hold all that stuff up (it's a SCIENCE thing)

Uh I'm sure this was unintentional but this is pretty much just a hardsuit from Bubblegum Crisis?

Hasty Apology
Sep 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Which is a slight improvement on before, but it currently takes me anywhere from 60 - 90 mins to get something like this done, which is ridiculous. 10-20 mins can pass in the blink of an eye, a bit like dozing off without realizing it while sitting down. It's been a big problem for me even when doing gesture drawings - my entire perception of time seems to fly out of the loving window and I can't stay within what is generally thought of as a reasonable time limit without having to rush to the point of complete illegibility.

I'm going through something quite similar right now myself, so don't feel too alone. I'm glad you're asking for specific advice- I can steal it!

Exploration for a squid character follows. Meant to appear in a platformer, though I realize now I haven't even played with him in profile. I know it reads like a school assignment: design a squid... who's also a strongman! ...If the tentacles even read as muscular. I got into my bad rut coloring the thing yesterday, taking so much time to say so little, building it all up so cautiously and I'll admit, half-heartedly.

Trouble may just be lax goals- it has to be a squid, it has to make you smile. I've got other marine life to do, and the walls I hit exploring caricature, silhouette and appeal all has me feeling... not so creative.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hasty Apology posted:

I'm going through something quite similar right now myself, so don't feel too alone. I'm glad you're asking for specific advice- I can steal it!

Exploration for a squid character follows. Meant to appear in a platformer, though I realize now I haven't even played with him in profile. I know it reads like a school assignment: design a squid... who's also a strongman! ...If the tentacles even read as muscular. I got into my bad rut coloring the thing yesterday, taking so much time to say so little, building it all up so cautiously and I'll admit, half-heartedly.

Trouble may just be lax goals- it has to be a squid, it has to make you smile. I've got other marine life to do, and the walls I hit exploring caricature, silhouette and appeal all has me feeling... not so creative.

He resembles a jellyfish far more than he does a squid. Check out some videos of squids for inspiration!

Hasty Apology
Sep 1, 2009
Oh how humiliating of course I meant Jellyfish. Just out of it I guess.

They're a bit too undercooked to post, but I felt like I had a great time yesterday working on a minute timer, rotating through a few documents, each with some creative limitation: just use yellow and green, use a very soft brush, use a new brush, use the lasso tool, etc... it felt liberating to see what characters just "happened," refining them with each pass through the stack. I dread trying to render them, though- that has always been a weak point. It reminds me of a Robert Henri quote, something about sketches looking so "happy to exist," while the "bitter duty thing," the product you're willing to call finished, will look as pained as you felt finishing it. ...No point in delaying though! I'm sure the pain go away eventually, with feedback pointing me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Humboldt Squid posted:

Uh I'm sure this was unintentional but this is pretty much just a hardsuit from Bubblegum Crisis?

I took pretty heave inspiration from BGC yes. Granted, the thing that I pulled from most was Nene's suit from Bubblegum Crash.
They're all meant to be based off this particular character:

but all other Tetralins are... well... kinda off the rails. (which i need to draw more of them)

My art is really loving bad to be honest :smith:

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 6, 2015

• Locked thread