Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So, now that this is done, are you going to finish off the trilogy with terranigima?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

That scene when Will and Kara have to separate still gets me right in the feelings despite the goofy localization, thanks entirely to the music that plays over it. And the credits track that comes after is also fantastic. I hope the composer is still getting work, because they knocked it out of the park with this game. Thanks for showing off this underrated, somewhat flawed, but delightful game, ddgenha!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

ddegenha posted:

Still no camels, only Kruks. Does the reverted version of the world not have camels?

The Tower of Babel (presumably) appears to still be around in this version of Earth so it’s not precisely ours. Kruks are a possibility.

I'm pretty sure this part of the credits is a 'clip show' of the plot of the game, not scenes of the restored earth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game is a real charmer, yeah. Never forget how relentlessly :stare:/:stonk: it was.

Just wish I could see it with a less shite translation, now that I've seen the notes of you fine fellows with different versions of the game.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fun game! I don't think I ever played it to the end as a kid so these last few updates were pretty interesting to me. I do remember a great deal about Terranigma though, so I'm looking forward to seeing what a blind play through of Terranigma by someone whose played the other Soul games looks like.

So go forth, five towers await you!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Well, if you play Terranigma, I do hope you're as thorough as with the games you LPed so far, and seek out all the permanently missable extras along the way. There's probably a list of those somewhere out there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, if you play Terranigma, I do hope you're as thorough as with the games you LPed so far, and seek out all the permanently missable extras along the way. There's probably a list of those somewhere out there.

Yeah, that game can be funny about that. As a kid I was ecstatic after finding some hidden thing in the beginning, only to later get depressed after reading in Club Nintendo, our local Nintendo magazine, that there was actually a second hidden thing I had missed at the same time. Terranigma can be an emotional rollercoaster like that! :v:

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
This biggest emotional rollercoaster about the hidden things in the beginning are that they're actually not useful at all, and are more easter eggs than anything else. :(

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

placid saviour posted:

that they're actually not useful at all, and are more easter eggs than anything else. :(

The biggest lie.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

placid saviour posted:

This biggest emotional rollercoaster about the hidden things in the beginning are that they're actually not useful at all, and are more easter eggs than anything else. :(

You probably missed a lot of them, considering how wrong you are.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't think we really need to spoiler things in a thread that's not for the game in question. The EnbuPike is an okay weapon but not super-important, and Polynese is just a free inn. Other than that the only missables I'm aware of are Magirocks, of which you need precisely zero to beat the game. Odds are most players will largely ignore the magic system because it's poorly-explained and kind of a pain to access anyway (didn't we discuss this earlier in this thread?). I won't say magic isn't useful, but IMO it's more fun to just stab things to death.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We're asking the OP of this thread to do a blind LP of the game in question, so yes, we probably should keep the spoilers to a minimum.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't think we really need to spoiler things in a thread that's not for the game in question. The EnbuPike is an okay weapon but not super-important, and Polynese is just a free inn.

Isn't EnbuPike brutal as gently caress because it sets your base defense to 0 (not counting your armor) but adds it to your strength, which in turn enables you to ruin everything due to the weird exponential way strength::damage is calculated?

I won't say magic isn't useful, but IMO it's more fun to just stab things to death.

Magic isn't useful. I thought it was until I saw Terranigma played to the end a couple weeks ago. After Bloody Mary, the boss rooms actually have (either on purpose or by accident) the same Jewelry Box ban flag as in towns :downs:

e: also this wasn't really discussed at the update in question, but did you get the level bonus in the Ocean Palace? Every time I've played this game, there have been a couple monsters that don't spawn.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 2, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I don't think we really need to spoiler things in a thread that's not for the game in question. The EnbuPike is an okay weapon but not super-important, and Polynese is just a free inn. Other than that the only missables I'm aware of are Magirocks, of which you need precisely zero to beat the game. Odds are most players will largely ignore the magic system because it's poorly-explained and kind of a pain to access anyway (didn't we discuss this earlier in this thread?). I won't say magic isn't useful, but IMO it's more fun to just stab things to death.

Yeah, we discussed it already. I was part of the faction that disagreed with you on that point, but this is really something for the future and another thread now.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Congrats on the LP!

I got this game along with Tetris Attack back around high school from a local used games store. I was intrigued by the ending and had no idea that a decent amount of plot details are missing in some form or fashion due to the translation.

I'd love to see a remake of the trilogy someday, but it seems highly unlikely considering Quintet went quietly into the night. :(

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Hence the not useful at all. I don't see how people feel I'm wrong, but that is indeed for another time and another thread.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Inferior posted:

'To the New World' is the best track in the game- uplifting, epic and melancholy all at the same time. Sums the whole thing up, really.

It's probably the most perfectly bittersweet tune I can remember ever hearing, even almost 20 years since I last played this game. The ending is one section of the game where its generally great music really shines overall. "Clash of Light and Shadow" kicks rear end, it tells you in no uncertain terms that this fight is apocalyptic and that your enemy is the size of a semi truck to your confused flailing ant. (And then ddegenha chumps Dark Gaia in under three minutes, god drat I always had so much trouble timing aura-melts because I forgot I could block!) The credits roll music is cool too as an accompaniment to a highlights reel of the game.

Anyway, thanks for this great nostalgia-tripping LP ddegenha!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 3, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

KataraniSword posted:

Lily probably turned back into a dandelion. :ssh:

I never noticed this, but I figure she's just back in her hometown which could be in the next state over or other side of the world maybe?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
So, I'm glad to see that so many people have enjoyed this LP. It was a load of fun to finally get to play this game, and it was great to share it with people who had fond memories or didn't get a chance to see the ending. I'll confirm that I will go ahead with Terranigma, but I'm going to give it a bit and maybe play a bit ahead to build a backlog before I go into it. The last update was delayed because of an uptick at work that's kept me busy and the next little bit doesn't look much better.

For Terranigma I'm going to try and go into it as unspoiled as possible and just check when necessary to make sure I don't miss anything irreplaceable. As a Quintet game I'm sure that the storyline will be bizarre enough that a few mechanics spoilers won't ruin the fun. Thanks for reading and following along, everybody.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Thanks for playing! It was a lot of fun reading (I forgot to say that in my last comment. >.<; )
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you play Terranigma~

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Awesome, please notify this thread when you do start the Terranigma LP! And in the meantime, I hope work goes well.

Regarding missing things in Terranigma, the stuff we were talking about can be found by just carefully exploring during the first chapter. That's about the best spoiler-free way I can think of to describe it.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for all the fun updates ddegenha! Can't wait to keep the train o fun rollin' for Terranigma.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Chiming in with the well-dones, and looking forward to the Terranigma one since that's the one I'd never had the pleasure of playing.

More on this:

ddegenha posted:

The Tower of Babel (presumably) appears to still be around in this version of Earth so it’s not precisely ours. Kruks are a possibility.

It's a version of Earth where Alexander the Great actually got around to his proposed restoration project of the Babylonian temple, which might've been the largest building of it's time, that inspired the Tower of Babel legend (or he didn't demolish it in the first place :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

Chiming in with the well-dones, and looking forward to the Terranigma one since that's the one I'd never had the pleasure of playing.

More on this:

It's a version of Earth where Alexander the Great actually got around to his proposed restoration project of the Babylonian temple, which might've been the largest building of it's time, that inspired the Tower of Babel legend (or he didn't demolish it in the first place :v:)

Shouldn't it look like a giant box then? :v:

• Locked thread