Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder if I am the only one who thinks this, but ever since I heard the Melody of the Wind, I always assumed it was the beginning of "My Bonnie".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jGurbBx6hk

Maybe I am just insane though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Nidoking posted:

Will's spinning flute or Freedan's sword will block many projectiles.

I finished the game for the first time last weekend. I never realized you could block projectiles.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
We're coming up on the part where I usually stop playing the game.

I end up getting laid out by the boss all the time. :negative:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CKyle posted:

I finished the game for the first time last weekend. I never realized you could block projectiles.

The game never once tells you. I only found out, myself, because Terranigma's tutorial does point it out, and I took the time to try it in IoG afterwards.

Turns out that yes, your telekinesis acts as a limited sort of shield. It's not quite as important in Gaia as it is in the sequel, but it still makes life a lot easier, especially in late-game dungeons.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure the manual mentions being able to block projectiles. Back when the game came out, people still read those.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

The game never once tells you. I only found out, myself, because Terranigma's tutorial does point it out, and I took the time to try it in IoG afterwards.

Turns out that yes, your telekinesis acts as a limited sort of shield. It's not quite as important in Gaia as it is in the sequel, but it still makes life a lot easier, especially in late-game dungeons.

Have fun beating the final boss of Terranigma if you forget about this! I did it. It ate up a prodigious amount of healing items.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nidoking posted:

Back when the game came out, people still read those.

Back when the game came out, video game rentals were still at their peak, so you'd get people getting this from the Blockbuster with nothing more than the cookie-cutter blurbs (that were often grossly incorrect) on the back of the rental box. So. :shrug:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have fun beating the final boss of Terranigma if you forget about this! I did it. It ate up a prodigious amount of healing items.

I remember that fight. I was truly annoyed with it until I remembered about the block technique, which I never once used.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A note in this game (and Terranigma) is that you can't block all projectiles. Namely if it's complex/energy-like chances are you won't block it and it'll go straight through you.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Back when the game came out, video game rentals were still at their peak, so you'd get people getting this from the Blockbuster with nothing more than the cookie-cutter blurbs (that were often grossly incorrect) on the back of the rental box. So. :shrug:

I always requested instructions when renting games as a kid, and usually got them.

IoG's instruction manual is a beast, I still have my copy somewhere. There's a full walkthrough of the game in back, including all Red Jewel locations (though often not all the information that would be useful in getting them, looking at you Red Jewel #3).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

KataraniSword posted:

You are a heathen to the church of Permastruct.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update the Eighth: In Which Will Discovers the Lost Ship

Picking up where we left off, there’s a row of gold statues with a button at the end. Naturally we’re going to be fighting all of the statues. Clearing the area gets us a defense increase and another herb. Really going to have to start using these at some point.

Outside we’ve got some more enemies to deal with, and clearing them gets us some more strength. It’s possible that all of the outside areas are linked and you have to clear them all before getting the reward.

This obvious trap here is exactly what you’d think. Hitting the switch activates all four statues, but it’s a simple matter to fight our way free.

Proceeding forward we have an area where there are two ramps. If you don’t interrupt your progress you’ll just shoot up the other side. You have to interrupt your charge to fight these Splops. Clearing them out gets us an HP increase, with the attendant refill.

“Note about the Incas: They have no written language. They’ve left their legends in sound. I have succeeded in deciphering the Incan Melody of the Wind. ‘Chat in the Golden Room.’ Does that mean to play the Melody of the Wind…?”

“Chanting is one thing, flute playing is another… well, maybe he’s not completely off base.”

Next to where we previously got a herb after destroying some statues we have the sole Red Jewel of this dungeon. It’s kind of hard to miss, as long as you’re proceeding normally. We also get a strength increase from clearing the room.

At this point we need to switch back to Will, since Freedan isn’t much of a flutist….

Melody of the Wind

You could walk around until you step on the right tile, but this is much faster. Stepping on this tile gets us a new doorway to an area with two ladders.

Putting our two statues in place opens the path forward. I don’t even know if you could reach this point without both statues, but it’d be kind of humorous to get this far and suddenly realize you had missed a statue.

At this point we can access the Dark Space and change back into Freedan. We’re actually about to have a boss fight, which you can fight as Will or Freedan. The difference is mainly in reach and that if you use Will it’ll take about twice as long. Talking to Gaia afterward gets us advice on the upcoming boss, but I didn’t realize that until after the fight and thus failed to catch it.

After that, you just step on this plate..

And then climb down the ladder to this doorway. There’s no warning or sign that this boss is coming, so it’s kind of a kick in the nuts if you aren’t expecting it and are somehow unprepared.

“Excuse us. Wrong door. Uh… Freedan, what happens if…”

“Don’t worry about it kid. I’m certainly not.”

Boss Theme: The Guardian

Castoth Fight Video

Our first boss is Castoth, this charming fellow. The two attacks we’re going to see most often from him are a line of flames that crosses the room and a triangular shape that bounces off the walls. Individually they’re fairly easy to dodge, but together you can get pinned.

He’ll also do something with his hands, but this is actually an opportunity for you rather than for him. To make the fight proceed you have to attack the hands. Each one will disappear after you hit it five times, but once again there’s no indication that these are even viable targets.

Once the hands are gone he’ll fire a barrage of laser-like beams at you, followed by his normal attacks. If you run behind him quickly the barrage can’t hit you, but you want to get back front and center.

What you’re watching for is a slight widening of his eyes. Once they’re open you can start attacking, chipping away at his 40 HP two points at a time.

The window’s small, so you’ll have to repeat at least once. Once you’ve got the trick it’s fairly straightforward, but if you don’t have the trick this is a brick wall.

For story reasons, we’re going to have to be in our original shape. Freedan is very much a battle form, as is our final form.

“You wouldn’t think that a ladder would be too much to ask, but…”

“How the hell did someone beat me here? There’s something…”

Next update: Of ships, and statues, and sea monsters.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You...You can attack his hands?

If I'd only known...

:negative:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Actually, the reason you need the Wind Melody for that room is that you have to stand on the correct tile for quite a while before anything happens. It's even more tedious to find than just walking around if you really intend to brute-force it, and there's no indication anywhere in the game that standing still is what you need to do.

Also, I generally deal with the statues that come to life when you hit a button by gathering them all in a line while they're still statues, then using the knockback damage to kill them all at once.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Actually, question for the thread...

I just played through the second dungeon segment, and it's looking like there's a pattern of exploration/exposition, followed by a fairly short dungeon section. I'm a bit disappointed by how short that last battle video was. Would it be better if I did videos of the dungeon sections as a whole, rather than just the bosses?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It'd probably be nice to have a few videos showing what dungeon exploration is like. Maybe one not-the-entire-thing clip per major dungeon?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whoa, that laser barrage sounded weird. Did it sound like that on the original SNES? I honestly don't remember.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

It's a little bit off, yeah. It's happened in other videos in his past LPs too.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Huh, I could've sworn I never beat that boss as a kid, but seeing it again I definitely got to the ship.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The sound effect's getting cut off before it can play all the way through. It's most noticeable in the explosion too since it gets used there too.

Castoth's usually a brick wall because the game does not hold hands when it comes to bosses. That being said he's also pretty easy if you know his pattern.
Like Soul Blazer, all of the bosses follow a predictable pattern. Unlike Soul Blazer, they tend to be worse with hazards and timing on those patterns.
You can chill out at the bottom edge of the screen and dodge pretty much everything except his hands and the laser. Kill the hands and run up to the side to dodge the laser, then watch out for the line of fire and side step as necessary.

It's also recommended to get hit by the line of fire there. Allows you to get a bit more damage in and moves you towards dodging the laser. It tracks if you're anywhere in front of his face and there's no dodging it by moving quickly or anything.

Seconding the 'not entire thing per clip' on the videos. Later dungeons can get even longer and later bosses aren't as nice as Castoth in giving you a giant window for hurting them.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 15, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Your comment about connected outside areas is why the 'map' is so important. It shows you how many enemies there's still left to defeat. If there's connected areas you can't directly reach, you can find out this way.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Last time I played through this, this was the only boss where I had to use an herb. This is mostly due to the fact that as the earliest boss, you have a lot less HP than you will for the others. The next two bosses I could just rush down anytime they were vulnerable and not worry about the damage I took.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
When I was a kid, this boss was definitely one of the hardest in the game. Also, I love the boss music :allears:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Digital Jello posted:

Also, I love the boss music :allears:

Definitely another one of the game's winners, yeah. Perfect bombastic IT'S loving ON NOW opening, spiraling down into discord and despair. :black101:

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
If I'm remembering the order right, in my opinion every other boss is rough. I don't remember ever hearing anybody having special trouble with the next boss, for example, but the one after that...

Castoth is hard but the game is forgiving enough to give you a Freedan Dark Space right there, so even if you use up all your continues you don't have to face the awful "do I fight this boss with Will or trek all the way back to get Freedan?" choice. He's a wall, but not an insurmountable one. As a kid, I restarted the entire game over a couple of the other bosses.

The bosses in this game being so rough is really the reason you should actually clearing rooms. Thank god for the stat catch-up points, because if you missed enough levels early on you could probably make the game unwinnable for the average player, but those catch-up points come AFTER the boss of each area, and you want the best stats you can get to face the bosses.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If I remember correctly, either the manual or some other strategy guide tells you to stand behind Castoth to avoid his attacks, which doesn't loving work of course.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

If I remember correctly, either the manual or some other strategy guide tells you to stand behind Castoth to avoid his attacks, which doesn't loving work of course.

It does to avoid the head laser that happens after an attack round. He can't shoot behind his head with it.

The boss of Mu gave me the most trouble. I used 3 or 4 herbs fighting that one.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Leavemywife posted:

You...You can attack his hands?

If I'd only known...

:negative:

Same here. :saddowns: I'm looking forward to this LP because I never made it past that boss, and everything from here on out is new territory.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I started playing the game to follow along, and I would just like you all to know that I got the fisherman's red jewel the first time I left the school. :awesome:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Seyser Koze posted:

I started playing the game to follow along, and I would just like you all to know that I got the fisherman's red jewel the first time I left the school. :awesome:

Yeah, we got it the first time we played so we remembered it existing and thus never missed out on it. I was actually kind of surprised reading the thread that so many people thought it was a dick move or that anyone considered it hard/annoying to find. We... never had an issue with that one. Many others, yes, but not that one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

silversatyr posted:

Yeah, we got it the first time we played so we remembered it existing and thus never missed out on it. I was actually kind of surprised reading the thread that so many people thought it was a dick move or that anyone considered it hard/annoying to find. We... never had an issue with that one. Many others, yes, but not that one.

The thing about the fisherman's gem is that it is entirely RNG. It's not "perform this action at this specific spot" (like the one in the castle) or "search this specific random tile that has no other indication" (the logs in Itory Village) - when it's there, it will stay there until you leave the screen and the game pretty blatantly points out "hey there's a thing in this pot".

The problem is, it's a random chance each time the main town screen is loaded for it to appear. It could show up right after you step outside of the school, or you could be running in and out of that goddamn cave for twenty minutes. There's no way of telling which it will be, and if you don't already know it's there, you could miss it without even knowing there's something to miss.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The real problem is that you don't really need every single one to win the game or get all the powerups but people are complaining about it anyway. With the guide that tells you where they are being a thing.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Cheez posted:

The real problem is that you don't really need every single one to win the game or get all the powerups but people are complaining about it anyway. With the guide that tells you where they are being a thing.

A dick move is a dick move, whether it's required or not. You do get something for getting all of them, and even if you know exactly where the fisherman's jewel is it can take an hour to get it if he just doesn't feel like moving to that spot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Basically if you're making an RPG and something can be Lost Forever, then a very vocal 1% of the players will declare you to have hosed up.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Smarms posted:

It does to avoid the head laser that happens after an attack round. He can't shoot behind his head with it.

The boss of Mu gave me the most trouble. I used 3 or 4 herbs fighting that one.

That's where I use most of my herbs too. These days I can get through the whole game up to that point without using any of them, but when I was younger and shared playing along with my brothers that fight was a roadblock for ages because I was down to having only one or two. Especially because they didn't catch on to the whole kill all enemies in every room or miss out on stat ups aspect of the game and I was underpowered. To this day I dread Mu even though I don't have nearly as much trouble with now.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

KataraniSword posted:

The thing about the fisherman's gem is that it is entirely RNG. It's not "perform this action at this specific spot" (like the one in the castle) or "search this specific random tile that has no other indication" (the logs in Itory Village) - when it's there, it will stay there until you leave the screen and the game pretty blatantly points out "hey there's a thing in this pot".

The problem is, it's a random chance each time the main town screen is loaded for it to appear. It could show up right after you step outside of the school, or you could be running in and out of that goddamn cave for twenty minutes. There's no way of telling which it will be, and if you don't already know it's there, you could miss it without even knowing there's something to miss.

I understand that, I just never had a problem with it myself so I never realised it was such an issue until this thread came about.

I guess it's like my brother defeating Ozmo in FF9 on his first go - he never really understood how it was a problem for my other brother and I who took forever to beat the drat thing when he just breezed through it (especially odd given the fact that he hadn't even played the game before that point - he literally came in, saw us despairing over yet another loss, asked for a go and beat the drat thing. Actually, come to think of it, he had something of a magic touch when it came to bosses in RPGs. He defeated a very hard boss in Legend of Dragoon one time just by doing the same thing and he was the first to defeat the last boss of this game, again, just by having a go at it. Yeah, he found the block button that everyone forgot ever existed.)

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update the Ninth: In Which Will is King for Less than a Day

Somewhat short update. I blame Skyrim, shoveling my driveway, and the fact that we've got a bit of plot between here and the next dungeon. This a very story-heavy game.

Will's Dream

“King, huh? I could get used to this.”

“And he’s much shorter!”

“Or, maybe not. Hey, don’t disrespect your King!”

“Of course, I AM the King.”

“Wait, I have a Queen? I’m…not sure I’m ready for that.”

“Er… yes. Not that I haven’t ever been here before, obviously, as I’m the King.”

“But I expect that you’re tired. Look around, then rest in this bed.”

“It’s the ring he gave her when they were separated by the invaders. Since then, she has thought of nothing but him.”

“I’m a bit foggy about that. It’s… uh.. been a while.”

“That’s the statue you were awarded by the spirits. It’s in the jewel box in the storehouse below. Look for yourself.”

“I’ll do that… honey…”

Down in the hold below we get the Mystic Statue, which you can guess from the inventory screen is one of six. It’s probably the least complicated of the six.

“That sounds like an AMAZING idea.”

“Yeah, how long were you guys in that cave, anyway?”

“Couple hundred years, give or take. How could invaders come to destroy a world as beautiful as this?”

“People are assholes sometimes. I can’t explain it any more.”

“Truly, the King is wise.”

With that done, we’ve run all out of things to do on this ship. Now it’s time to catch some Zs, and wake up…

“My house? Well, it’s nice of them to drop me off…wait?”

“Look in the sky. The comet is so beautiful. After years and years the comet approaches Earth, then recedes. Some say it’s an unlucky star. Some say it’s a lucky star…”

“Pretty sure it’s an unlucky star. Trust me, you don’t want to know.”

“All right… then hope that the bad luck doesn’t come. Will, I am always watching over you.”

“Will! Wake up!”

“Then we reached a strange town…”

“Wait! Don’t call it strange, I was born there.”

“Lilly, it’s an invisible town. That’s pretty drat strange.”

“Wait, what happened to this place?”

“He said that you were floating alone on the sea. I was so surprised.”

“Not nearly as surprised as I was. Let me take a look around.”

“Seth, I like you buddy. You know your role.”

This is another Gem that can be easily missed. You can trigger the next event without even going up on deck, so if you don’t explore you might not ever see this one.

“Hope that you’re still enjoying the sunlight, buddy.”

“Oh, it’s you, Will. Don’t scare me!”

“I’ll try not to, but this place is pretty drat creepy.”

“Was it all just a dream? They all seemed so… alive…”

“I can’t stand anything that disrupts people’s peaceful lives…”

“And I feel really terrible about that.”

“That ring must be one of the artifacts put on this ship. This is the most valuable of all the artifacts.”

“Many people have lost their lives trying to get rich by finding this ring. I want the ring. It’s so pretty. I really must have it.”

“Have you no shame!?!? You could be cursed!!!”

“What?”

“Who the hell is Riverson?”

“In this part of the ocean, there are fish that are as dangerous as, well, sharks!!”

“Why do I have a bad feeling about tha…”

“Oh, Gaia dammit.”

“Eeeeeeeeh!! It’s Seth!! A huge, enormous, giant fish ran into the ship!” Seth fell in the water! He was swallowed!”

“Eh, could have been worse.”

“Oh for…tell me where he is and I’ll find him.”

Just proceeding from this point it’s hard to depict, but we get a final shake of the ship and when we wake up..”

Adrift

“I’ll just crawl right back in the ocean, thanks.”

Next update: We’re on a Boat!

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
As a kid, I remember always being really excited to play this next section. I was a strange child.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, this was the Red Jewel I missed on my first playthrough. Or would have been if I didn't restart the game from the beginning when I realized. :argh:

Also doesn't this theme play when you wake up on the ship and find everyone's long dead? That bit really creeped me out as a kid, and I thought that eerie music was part of it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Ah, this part of the game. The translator was probably trying to break some kind of mistranslation record for leviathan. I barely know a lick of Japanese and I wouldn't have translated it that way. It took me so long to figure out what the hell a riverson was supposed to be...

• Locked thread