Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crusader posted:

also having a currency or currencies that publishers/tv programmers/distributors and the advertisers all agree to transact on

so, like, klout or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I require expensive personalized marketing

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Crusader posted:

also having a currency or currencies that publishers/tv programmers/distributors and the advertisers all agree to transact on

might i suggest bitcoin, the international cryptocurrency?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

there are adblock filter lists specifically for the :qq: PLEEEEEASE LOOK AT OUR ADS banners

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
this is the best ad

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

infernal machines posted:

so, like, klout or something?

sure - as long as everyone feels like they understand how your estimating audience segments/demos and the data is somewhat plausible (whether it comes directly off devices/set-top boxes or not, or is panel-based with statistical inferences or whatever), it can work

it just comes down to someone or many saying

"hey you wanted this audience, well you hit X% with your campaign on Y content"

and the person who owns or distributes said content agreeing to pay based on that %

that is a lot of the disagreement - an advertiser will be like "hey only 10 percent of who i gave a poo poo about saw my ad, not gonna pay"

clearly publishers/content owners do not like that unless they themselves can predict the % breakout in advance as well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
who was the nutjob who posted a megathread length post about his phd project to monetize attention in his bespoke social network through attention coins or some such ridiculous bullshit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Crusader posted:

that is a lot of the disagreement - an advertiser will be like "hey only 10 percent of who i gave a poo poo about saw my ad, not gonna pay"

clearly publishers/content owners do not like that unless they themselves can predict the % breakout in advance as well

so much like now it's in everyones' best interests to lie about everything and the data itself is completely worthless and also not in any way related to the "value" of the service?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

there are adblock filter lists specifically for the :qq: PLEEEEEASE LOOK AT OUR ADS banners
i always thought about setting up a site with backgrounds beneath all the ads that simply say

CONSUME
BUY AND OBEY
FACE TO CAPITALISM

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

so much like now it's in everyones' best interests to lie about everything and the data itself is completely worthless and also not in any way related to the "value" of the service?

possible - i guess its arguable that using facebook data (which is what nielsen's online ratings product does) is "more betar than" the surveys and what not

its more that marketers really did feel like they understood how a ratings point translated into how many people saw and would "respond to" whatever goofy creative they came up with, and that model is broken now with all the screens and options

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

also theres the "how do i, as a SUPREMELY TALENTED CONTENT CREATOR get paid for my genius when the masses watch my farts"

20 years ago it was relatively simple

viewer > ads/pay tv subscription > programmer > studios > guilds > plebs and grips

now its this goddamn mess

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i like how they shot every minority that walked into that store and made sure they appeared in the edit

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

this is one of the best ads microsoft has ever put out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBg9-X1gHM4

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i haven't looked at any of the ads itt

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

come on

whats the one ad you watch and dont skip

tell me

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i like this one because their twitter hashtag is

#hashtaglunchbag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-dHJtWJhjs

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

i always thought about setting up a site with backgrounds beneath all the ads that simply say

CONSUME
BUY AND OBEY
FACE TO CAPITALISM

THEY LIVE was a documentary

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzgeyS_JRxE

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

THEY LIVE was a documentary

here is an ad for this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJC4R1uXDaE

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pagancow posted:

come on

tell me

the first one, because i wasn't paying full attention anyway, and i didn't notice yet that it's time to skip

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh hohoho.

no. you're not getting me that easily

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

come on

tell me
i don't watch broadcast tv and i block everything on the internet

so unless it's product placement which, if it's obnoxious poo poo like ms, makes me stop watching a show or a 40ft billboard that's somehow allowed to distract me while driving then i don't see ads

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

there is a giant iphone 6+ billboard in downtown seattle and it looks so bad and ugly

apple why

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i don't see ads

wow do you turn water into wine and heal the sick too?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The best technology commercial ever made

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

wow do you turn water into wine and heal the sick too?
wow you ignored most of my post so you could quote I DON'T SEE ADS

great work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, that would be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nah the payoff on this one makes it the best

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pity bu:pram:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Columbia Music knew they were going to make Daft Punk's Random Access Memories their tentpole album of the year, and dumped a lot of marketing dollars into the campaign. generally music videos ARE advertisments for the entire album for you to buy, but this one they knew they had to reach a mass audience, one that DOES NOT watch music videos on TV anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJwcOiBoZE

7 million hits, for a cut down version of their radio single on YouTube. it Aired during SNL which only reaches about 1.8 million, and honestly was way better quality than SNL could ever imagine doing if they wanted to play it live.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pagancow posted:

Columbia Music knew they were going to make Daft Punk's Random Access Memories their tentpole album of the year, and dumped a lot of marketing dollars into the campaign. generally music videos ARE advertisments for the entire album for you to buy, but this one they knew they had to reach a mass audience, one that DOES NOT watch music videos on TV anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJwcOiBoZE

7 million hits, for a cut down version of their radio single. it Aired during SNL, and honestly was way better quality than SNL could ever imagine doing if they wanted to play it live.

we finally have the proof: pagancow is skylark

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
lol if u don't like capitalism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

lol if u don't like capitalism

oh i'm loling all the drat day long

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cold on a Cob posted:

we finally have the proof: pagancow is skylark

please don't quote codec sytmie

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this was the first suggested video (not an ad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvfTZmecifc

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I watch ads for things i don't or can't buy solely to gently caress everyone involved out of money because i'm aware enough to realize that "hurf blurf i'm too smart for ads to work on me" is crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

also someone get cremnob in here, we need to reach the badposting singularity

• Locked thread