Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

:ducksiren::siren::ducksiren::siren::ducksiren:
Want to update? Feel free to take over the OP!
:ducksiren::siren::ducksiren::siren::ducksiren:

The Witcher 2 (previous) thread by Coughing Hobo: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522

What is Witcher 3? Well, according to Amazon.com:
In The Witcher 3 an ancient evil stirs, awakening. An evil that sows terror and abducts the young. An evil whose name is spoken only in whispers: the Wild Hunt. Led by four wraith commanders, this ravenous band of phantoms is the ultimate predator and has been for centuries. Its quarry: humans. The witcher must bring all his abilities to bear in confronting this ancient force, these ghastly spectral riders who for ages have brought misery to the world. For this time the Hunt seeks just one person: the one individual Destiny itself entrusted to Geralt. The one soul Geralt considers kin.

• In the past he has raised and overthrown monarchs, battled legendary monsters and saved the lives of many. Now Geralt embarks on his most personal quest to save his loved ones and protect the world from an ancient threat.
  • The story is drawn based on player decisions. Each action will have consequences which change the story and the game world. NPCs, communities, monsters and locations all change, based on player choice.
  • The Witcher 3 is standalone adventure, easily entered into by new players. Witcher fans will find subtle references to their adventures, but these elements are not necessary to enjoy the game fully.
  • A breathtaking cinematic introduction demonstrating the game background - this puts players immediately in the know about the situation in the war-ravaged Northern Kingdoms and the background story of the main character.
  • Unique atmosphere, memorable characters and gritty dialog - the game world has its own unique feel. It is a classic dark fantasy tale that will appeal to fans of all kinds of fantasy stories.

Also, these videos might be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrDUMAuoi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ktl-tdOElU

HD trailer link here.

:d: The Witcher 3 system requirements for PC ===>>> Can your computer run The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? :siren:

Minimum System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

:d: CD Projekt RED talks Witcher 3

:d: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — 16 free DLCs for everyone!

:d: Map of locations in Witcher 3

http://btrauma.com/2015/04/06/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-collectors-edition-official-strategy-guide-exclusive-preorder-bonus/

Approximate of locations:

Rime posted:

I cropped out 90% of the TW2 map and circled the general area of this new one.
:siren:Awesome:siren::siren: Trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZ5YkXVEvk

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Here's another gameplay vid we posted yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJUL3nN4iI
The Witcher 3: 30 minutes of CD Projekt narrated footage, plus Q&A

:d: More info from GameStar.de

Xander77 posted:

You can enter every house in Novigrad? (2:35)
The Witcher 3 runs on a GTX 970? (4:25)
Is there next to Novigrad Oxenfurt and other large cities? (5:22)
The Witcher 3 is really more than 100 hours (7:36)
Continued

:d: Save Game Files

Archimago posted:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

Take your pick, dude has like every possible variation available. Obviously, lots of spoilers for TW2 in there so anyone who cares about that shouldn't click.

:d: Extra
Bored of waiting? Want to play something Witchery? You might be interested in The Witcher Adventure board game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7gffhmrUA

PaybackJack posted:

For anyone curious about the FFG Board Game of The Witcher, it's not bad. It's fairly thematic if you want to read out cards and incorporate a storytelling element into the game. Mechanically the game is pretty straightforward.

One hilarious thing about the game though is that there's a ton of cards and a bunch of them are encounters with women and practically all of them screw Dandelion over. "You encounter 'Hilde the bar wench.' Heal 1 wound. If you're Dandelion you also become delayed." He also has an ability that allows him to complete other players quests so you can just follow your opponents around the board being a dick and stealing their points. It's awesome.

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am genuinely interested in this game.

Disclaimer: never played a Witcher game before. I had been led to believe it was like Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age-y.

I also had heard someone state that 3 would be sort of Monster Hunt-ish?

Is there co-op?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
There's no co-op.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Feenix posted:

Disclaimer: never played a Witcher game before. I had been led to believe it was like Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age-y.

I also had heard someone state that 3 would be sort of Monster Hunt-ish?

Is there co-op?

First, no coop.

First games were action/adventure/rpg games more focused on story & characters, the third game is trying to go full blown up on world like Skyrim... but still trying to have some focus on story and good side quests (and not "go and give me 10 wolf skins").
A difference for example if that you can't choose your character. Here you are Geralt of Rivia, someone who has a concrete name and a personality and a story.

Part of these games it's that you are a witcher, a mutant monster hunter who deals with supernatural poo poo most normal people don't want to go nearby. In the game sometimes you have to investigate a monster, track it down, solve some mystery around it, prepare for the combat properly through use of traps and potions, and then kill it.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
I would tell you to skip the first one. It's not bad, just really unpolished. The second one is good, and cheap on GOG.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

sebmojo posted:

Whhaaaattt. DS is vastly harder than W2 ever was.

Anecdotal experience, but my roommate insisted on playing Dark Mode and talked like there was nothing he could do about how hard it was, refused to lower the difficulty, and stopped playing without getting past the first combat encounter. Dark Souls doesn't have any difficulty settings, so it doesn't let people be stubborn.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Feenix posted:

I think it's like that but with boobies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I really got into Witcher 1, so getting 2 was a no brainer. I played Witcher 2 on...normal and then easy and just never really enjoyed the fighting, but a huuuuuuge part of that was my computer at the time making GBS threads itself and melting all over the place when it tried to play it. Steam tells me I put 25 hours into the game, and I only got as far as the first real town once. My technical issues and constantly trying to replay the intro just poisoned my experience too much to continue even after I got a better computer.

I'm hoping my experience with this one will be much more even and pleasant.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm fuckin' stoked.

Dragon Age 3 had an open world, but it seemed like it was only used for the most lovely of MMO style quests. What a waste. I hope they took the open world for this game down a less similar path.

TW2 was fantastic, and I can't wait to see what they brought to the table for this game...and Witcher 3 being released means that Cuberpunk 2077 is that much more closer to being released. :unsmigghh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'm fuckin' stoked.

Dragon Age 3 had an open world, but it seemed like it was only used for the most lovely of MMO style quests. What a waste. I hope they took the open world for this game down a less similar path.

TW2 was fantastic, and I can't wait to see what they brought to the table for this game...and Witcher 3 being released means that Cuberpunk 2077 is that much more closer to being released. :unsmigghh:

I thought DA3 was great, but it did have an overabundance of MMO quests that you were better off just skipping. If W3 is fun and has a useful overworld it's my GOTY all years.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

and Witcher 3 being released means that Cyberpunk 2077 is that much more closer to being released. :unsmigghh:

That's the biggest thing for me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

How incomprehensible will the story be if I haven't played the first two games?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^They'll have a recap that may make more sense than actually playing them (and the political intrigue) but you won't have a grounding in the setting or a love of the characters.

I'm exceedingly excited for this and thanks to a hard drive failure or two I get to play through both The Witcher and Assassins of Kings for new saves AND a refresher on what happened in great detail in the past two games. Also the subtle, "Remember when you made Trish mad by giving Alvin to Shandi knowingwink?"

I wholeheartedly recommend playing those two prior to this, they're easily a couple of the best RPGs I've ever played. The first one is a bit rough but worth sticking with.

Also, if The Wild Hunt sticks to tradition I'll have ~3Gb of Witcher saves by the end of it all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Reminder that the books are actually good and you should read them all.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Reminder that the books are actually good and you should read them all.

I was about to link that in fact.

The Last Wish

Blood of the Elves

The first two books by Andrzej Sapkowski. There are also The Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire which I unfortunately have yet to read. The first book is only tangentially related to the games as it shares characters but it's merely a collection of short stories about Geralt of Rivia and only one of them has anything to do with the first game. Still, fantastic reading and I recommend them easily. I'll be rereading the first two while replaying the first two games in the coming months, I know that for certain.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was about to link that in fact.

The Last Wish

Blood of the Elves

The first two books by Andrzej Sapkowski. There are also The Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire which I unfortunately have yet to read. The first book is only tangentially related to the games as it shares characters but it's merely a collection of short stories about Geralt of Rivia and only one of them has anything to do with the first game. Still, fantastic reading and I recommend them easily. I'll be rereading the first two while replaying the first two games in the coming months, I know that for certain.

So what is it with the rest of the books not being officially translated in English?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
From what I understand, it's partly licensing issues, partly the difficulty in faithfully translating Polish to English. Apparently the books read considerably different in the original Polish due to cultural references.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

So what is it with the rest of the books not being officially translated in English?

Just recently it was announced that three additional books will be translated with the first, The Sword of Destiny, will be released in May.

Source: http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/01/gollancz-acquire-three-more-witcher-novels/

I read The Last Wish back when it was released but have little memory of it. Thinking of rereading it and working through the rest of the series.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

JerseyMonkey posted:

Just recently it was announced that three additional books will be translated with the first, The Sword of Destiny, will be released in May.

Source: http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/01/gollancz-acquire-three-more-witcher-novels/

I read The Last Wish back when it was released but have little memory of it. Thinking of rereading it and working through the rest of the series.

I reread both short story collections before reading the novels and it was definitely worth it. It's entertaining even if you remember roughly what happened in each story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

J-Spot posted:

How incomprehensible will the story be if I haven't played the first two games?

Quick (and I mean quick) recap of the first two games.

Witcher 1. Geralt awakens about five years after the books ended with most of his memories missing. Kaer Mohren, the Witcher's castle, is attacked by mercenaries working for Salamandra, a group of criminals who want to gently caress poo poo up in the kingdom of Temeria. Geralt has to deal with them, help out his friends, and choose to either aid the Redanians trying to forge an alliance with Temeria, the Squirrels (a group of anarchist revolutionary Elves and Dwarfs) or stay neutral and try to survive the capital city of Vizyma going batshit crazy. Geralt confronts the King of the Wild Hund (a spirit who is responsible for Geralt's memory issues), and finally receives payment from King Foltest for his actions during the game. In the epilogue, an assassin attacks Foltest but Geralt slays him, only to discover that the hitman is another Witcher.

Witcher 2.
A month later, Foltest is reclaiming his lands following the civil uprising, and he's kept Geralt around as a bodyguard. Geralt is framed for Foltest's murder at the hands of another witcher, who has already murdered Aedirn's king, Demavend. Geralt can either work with Temeria's special forces commandos or with the Squirrels to find out the origin of the Kingslayer and continue to regain his lost memories of his life with Yennefer, Geralt's former lover.

Aedirn is attacked by King Henselt from Kaedwen to the north, looking to take over with Demavend dead. Depending on who Geralt sides with, Henselt may or may not conquer the city of Vergen.

In the end, Geralt discovers the assassinations were actually sanctioned by the lodge of Sorcerers, looking to use Demavend's death to take control of Aedirn for themselves. However, Letho, the witcher they hired, decides to instead go on a killing spree attacking other monarchs in preparation for an invasion by Nilfgaard to the south. Nilfgaard had twice before invaded the Northern Kingdoms and are gearing up for a third war. Geralt is told by Letho that the King of the Wild Hunt isn't actually a spirit, but an Elf from another dimension crossing into their world. Geralt gets his memories back, and the game ends with the Nilfgaard armies crossing the Yaruga and invading Temeria.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Arcsquad12 posted:

In the end, Geralt discovers the assassinations were actually sanctioned by the lodge of Sorcerers, looking to use Demavend's death to take control of Aedirn for themselves. However, Letho, the witcher they hired, decides to instead go on a killing spree attacking other monarchs in preparation for an invasion by Nilfgaard to the south.

I know you're being quick and dirty, but that part's not really accurate: Nilfgaard "hired" Letho and friends to kill as many Northern kings as they can. Letho got in touch with a Lodge member and tricked them into thinking the Lodge was using him to kill King Demavend so he could use any resources they had to offer.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 27, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GrossMurpel posted:

I reread both short story collections before reading the novels and it was definitely worth it. It's entertaining even if you remember roughly what happened in each story.

Yeah, The Last Wish is a quick read and like 90% of it is Geralt taking part in Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lycus posted:

I know you're being quick and dirty, but that part's not really accurate: Nilfgaard "hired" Letho and friends to kill as many Northern kings as they can. Letho got in touch with a Lodge member and tricked them into thinking the Lodge was using him to kill King Demavend so he could use any resources they had to offer.

Either way, Letho hosed poo poo up and I really hope he makes an appearance in Wild Hunt. There is literally no reason to kill him in Witcher 2 unless you really really liked Foltest.

Also, question about The Last Wish. I'm about halfway through Blood Of Elves and the translation is far better than the copy of Last Wish I own. Is there an updated version of Last Wish that has a better translation, or did Gollancz get a better translator for the later books?

For reference, this is the cover on the version I own.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The Witcher 2 is the best game-long joke at Geralt's expense.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Either way, Letho hosed poo poo up and I really hope he makes an appearance in Wild Hunt. There is literally no reason to kill him in Witcher 2 unless you really really liked Foltest.

No reason? He tried to kill you a couple times. Plot aside, that's a better motivation in the videogame than any other reason you could possibly think of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

No reason? He tried to kill you a couple times. Plot aside, that's a better motivation in the videogame than any other reason you could possibly think of.

He only tries to kill you once, and that's only because Roche was an idiot and forced the Squirrels' hands, and only in self defense. When the assassins strike at Henselt, they weren't expecting Geralt to be there, just as Letho didn't expect Geralt to be with Foltest. Letho holds nothing against Geralt, they were allies until the King of the Hunt hosed Geralt up and whacked his memories out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is that shot in one of the trailers that seems to show Letho. I'm not expecting more than a brief cameo.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Just downloaded Witcher 2 EE, but finished the game before EE came out.

Do mods stop me from getting Steam achievements and which ones are recommended?

Are the Arena mode rewards tied to the story in any way.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 27, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Khagan posted:

Just downloaded Witcher 2 EE, but finished the game before EE came out.

Do mods stop me from getting Steam achievements and which ones are recommended?

Are the Arena mode rewards tied to the story in any way.

Arena is completely separate from the main game.

Section 31, could you put this in the OP? (it's the exact same as the three-part video I linked but official and in one video).

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 27, 2015

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Arena is completely separate from the main game.

Section 31, could you put this in the OP? (it's the exact same as the three-part video I linked but official and in one video).
Done.

e: I noticed Geralt called his horse by whistling the same way as player's character does in Dragon Age: Inquisition....and I'm not exactly fan of DAI... :stare:

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 27, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So how old is Dandelion at this point? If I'm calculating this correctly he's got to be past 50.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Autonomous Monster posted:

So how old is Dandelion at this point? If I'm calculating this correctly he's got to be past 50.

Danelion will still be a teenager when he's in his 80s.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Danelion will still be a teenager when he's in his 80s.
"You are almost forty, look like almost thirty, think you're twenty, and behave like you're not even ten."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The Witcher 2 is the best game-long joke at Geralt's expense.

I really appreciated that at the end the game had the balls to to finally put you in front of the guy who you've been chasing for the entire game and then point out that there's really not actually much point to the two of you fighting. And it even gives you the chance to just say "gently caress all of this, I'm going home" and leave it at that.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
OP, You deserve to be hanged for not including this!

http://a.pomf.se/rovemx.webm

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Watching a gameplay video and wondering... did they really name his horse Roche?

Also, I love that pig.waw sound effect. It's been around since Warcraft 2 and it's still cute :downs:

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 27, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Tafferling posted:

Watching a gameplay video and wondering... did they really name his horse Roche?

It's Roach, as in fish species
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_roach

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I really appreciated that at the end the game had the balls to to finally put you in front of the guy who you've been chasing for the entire game and then point out that there's really not actually much point to the two of you fighting. And it even gives you the chance to just say "gently caress all of this, I'm going home" and leave it at that.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen that before in a game. Occasionally you'll get a boss fight you can resolve peacefully, but it's still an enemy you have to defeat. Only you can do it through talking or stealth or whatever. W2 forces you to consider why you are doing everything you do in the first place.

A preview mentioned there was a button that let your horse follow trails and roads, with the player only giving input at forks in the road. That sounds like a great feature to me. I think fast travel breaks open-world games up too much. Yet I also find traveling "manually" easily becomes tedious towards the end game when you've travelled the main roads back and forth many times. This sounds like a good compromise that let's you have better look at the landscape instead of concentrating on steering.

Likewise, I hope there won't be too many random enemies roaming the wilderness, at least not in every part of the world. That also often becomes tedious when you are experienced and just want to get to where you are going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got a feeling from what I've heard mentioned that daytime travel will be pretty safe as long as you stick to trails.

• Locked thread