Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yennefer is basically a female Geralt; independent as hell, doesn't know how to deal with other people, completely shocked at the prospect of having her fate tied to a single dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Personally I hope it's done well, I haven't read the books and don't really intend to. It's difficult to take at face value what fans are saying - that there's lots of history between Geralt and Yennefer, that they're in love, that their capital-f Fates are tied together. I care more about what I did in the first two games. If I decided Geralt and Triss were an item by the end of the second game, hope it's at least considered as part of the conflicting drama.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Prawned posted:

It comes down to realising that yes, I want to play TW3 Real Bad, but I can wait a day or two to see if it is an abortion or not cause I have 1000 other games on steam I have yet to play.

I think I am going to wait for the inevitable Extended Edition. I need to replace the CPU anyway, might as well wait for the new gen in the second half of 2015 and play through my backlog instead.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Stormgale posted:

I seem to remember back for the Witcher 2 there a Semi official mod to rework the combat system and skill trees to the new combat designer's liking, Considering I want to play it again before witcher 3 comes out does anyone have any experience with it?

I used this mod and liked it a lot, but I know quite a few people hated it too so its really hard to tell if youll like it without using it.

A lot of the stuff that are getting talked about as new features in previews for W3 were already in Witcher 2 as part of this mod, like the roll being changed to a pirouette. The skill tree is much better IMO and completely changes the game. The combat is better balanced and doesnt require a bunch of kiting.

So I would recommend it.

This is the mod you are talking - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/635/

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
In my experience the combat in the mod is better, but doesn't actually work that well with the larger game. It messes with how the systems interact and doesn't always interact well. I don't recommend it for a first playthrough.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
"Oi fockt a she-elf wunce"

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

In my experience the combat in the mod is better, but doesn't actually work that well with the larger game. It messes with how the systems interact and doesn't always interact well. I don't recommend it for a first playthrough.

He said he wanted to play it AGAIN so I think he is familiar with the game. I would agree though, the mod doesnt interact well with all of the games systems so its not a good choice for a first playthrough as it would make certain things really obtuse and weird for a first timer.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I installed the combat mod for my first playthrough. Apparently I started a new game right before installing it, which caused some issues. One of my weapons that carried through from Witcher 1 had an enchantment giving it a 200% crit chance, which made most combat a joke. Mutagens didn't work at all, which I discovered somewhere in chapter 2 after thinking I just needed to unlock a certain skill. I still enjoyed the game a lot, but I wonder what else the mod ended up bugging without me knowing about it.

So if you're going to use the mod, make sure that you install it before you start the new game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

"Oi fockt a she-elf wunce"

"Humans are strehnge."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Erm, I thought the whole point of Geralt and Yennefer's relationship was that it was awkward as gently caress. Geralt made a wish and the Djinn granted him Yennefer's love, even if she didn't really want it herself. It's two people with a horribly volatile relationship stuck in said relationship because some jackass in a bottle decided to gently caress with them.

Then again, i also really like that short story because Dandelion acts like a complete tool and Geralt tells the Djinn to go gently caress itself.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The thing about Triss is that she's basically taking advantage of a mentally vulnerable guy for sex. That makes every one of your interactions with her suspect.

And also I really hate her voice actor in TW2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A couple of her line readings were off "Did you dreeeeam of the Wild Hunt again?" but for the most part I didn't mind her. "Oh yeah the Brothel sounds lovely."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Bad line readings are 99.999999% on the director, always.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

A couple of her line readings were off "Did you dreeeeam of the Wild Hunt again?" but for the most part I didn't mind her. "Oh yeah the Brothel sounds lovely."

I just realized that the Witcher games fail to live up to the standard set by Sapkowski in one regard: Less than 75% of all dialog lines are sarcastic :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

The thing about Triss is that she's basically taking advantage of a mentally vulnerable guy for sex. That makes every one of your interactions with her suspect.

And also I really hate her voice actor in TW2.

Let's assume she's just using Geralt and doesn't actually love/like him. Boy toy and nearly invincible bodyguard, especially nice if your local union actually IS evil.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Let's assume she's just using Geralt and doesn't actually love/like him. Boy toy and nearly invincible bodyguard, especially nice if your local union actually IS evil.

But she does! She was always jealous of Yennefer's relationship with Geralt, to the point of magically manipulating him into sleeping with her. It was basically a case of a little sister wanting just what her big sister has. She does have feelings for him, but if you think she didn't use the losing his memory thing to her advantage, I don't know what to tell you. I imagine this will come up in W3 if Yenn has her memory back. Her's and Triss' relationship was already damaged due to the aforementioned loving. Should be interesting.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

I totally expect this will come up during Witcher 3, as it is one of the few ways how to muddle the otherwise painfully obvious choice of: "Do I join with chick that was in love with me and helped me for 2 games or with the chick that is supposedly my true love but that I saw for the first time in this game intro? hmmmm......"

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
What do you mean Triss helped? Witcher 1 I sided with Shani and the Flaming Rose. Witcher 2 I shotdown Triss, went with Roche, did a little something something with the short hair girl I'm forgetting the name of, and saved the little princess to hand over to the king so aaaall the lands are united under him.

That's some fun stuff right there to look forward to, to see how they deal with player's different choices in previous titles. Though it'll probly be like W2 where everything got smoothed out and Geralt is friends again with his crew.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cleatcleat posted:

What do you mean Triss helped? Witcher 1 I sided with Shani and the Flaming Rose. Witcher 2 I shotdown Triss, went with Roche, did a little something something with the short hair girl I'm forgetting the name of, and saved the little princess to hand over to the king so aaaall the lands are united under him.

That's some fun stuff right there to look forward to, to see how they deal with player's different choices in previous titles. Though it'll probly be like W2 where everything got smoothed out and Geralt is friends again with his crew.

Oh, so that's the other branch. My save is a little more.....fractured.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
big boss said some words, you may be interested: http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=51

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So the game will look the same on all platforms and be 30 fps on vastly more powerful PC hardware what a poo poo show this will be. Way to betray your roots.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Why do people keep thinking that's what he said? He didn't say that.

EDIT: If this game comes out and you think it's ugly, I'll personally mail you a refund.

(I will not actually do this because :goons:)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just wild-rear end guessing here, I suppose what is actually the case is that PC and consoles have all the same assets, but the settings used for the consoles just means that highest-detail versions of some assets (hint: multiple quality-levels of models, texture and effects has been a thing in games for ages) are just not used as extensively, if at all. So where a PC on ultra settings might use the highest detail models for everything out to the horizon, consoles might reserve that level of detail for nearby objects and characters, or close-ups in cutscenes.

Consoles aren't incapable of rendering models and textures just as well as a PC. They just have more fixed constraints on how much of it they can do at once.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

To be clear I'm in the camp that believes what's between Geralt and Triss is legit, even if it's a little ugly in spots.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm pretty excited for this game but the Dragon Age Keep system spoiled me. There's one thing I want to change before importing my Roche playthrough and now I have to grind through again on Normal just to do it. Never finished my Iorveth playthrough as Dark Mode sucked.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

She was ok with snarky but a lot of her more general dialogue was awful. She sounded like a lobotomized teenager, not a sorceress.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm pretty excited for this game but the Dragon Age Keep system spoiled me. There's one thing I want to change before importing my Roche playthrough and now I have to grind through again on Normal just to do it. Never finished my Iorveth playthrough as Dark Mode sucked.

It sounds like there is an in-game storytelling sequence where you can specify what you did in the previous game. So I wouldn't worry.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh right, I forgot they would have to have some kind of mechanism for that given that W3 runs on a new console generation. Mass Effect's version of this only let you make eight choices out of several dozen so here's hoping CDP is more thorough.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, my PC is nowhere near what it needs to be to run this, so I was all about playing on PS4, but I'm glad to hear there's at least a way to get my choices reflected so I'm not sitting there looking at Letho's corpse even though I totally let him live.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
There's not going to be an Import Game function?

e: I should've read the article before posting.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 30, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or played any trilogy in the past five years.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I know there's a pc subforum here and its probably taboo to ask but if I want to run this game on high-ish about how much money am I looking to spend on a new setup? Preferred resolution is 1920 X 1080, I'd mainly like to pick from one of the setups on this site: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ I used it previously to build my first pc.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I mean nobody has the game so nobody knows how it will run, but based on the recommended specs it looks like you're going to need pretty close to $1000 to hit that. Not counting if you need an OS License, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

I wouldn't go less than a GTX 970 in terms of video card. Aside from being very fast it's also one of the most price efficient cards on the market right now.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I mean nobody has the game so nobody knows how it will run, but based on the recommended specs it looks like you're going to need pretty close to $1000 to hit that. Not counting if you need an OS License, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

I wouldn't go less than a GTX 970 in terms of video card. Aside from being very fast it's also one of the most price efficient cards on the market right now.

That's fine, the highest I'd like to go is 1500-1600.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I know there's a pc subforum here and its probably taboo to ask but if I want to run this game on high-ish about how much money am I looking to spend on a new setup? Preferred resolution is 1920 X 1080, I'd mainly like to pick from one of the setups on this site: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ I used it previously to build my first pc.

mainboard: ASrock H97M pro4 70$
cpu: i5-4690 200$
ram 8GB DDR3 1600 CL9 70$
graphics: nvidia 960 for cheap 1080p 200$, 970 for luxury 1080p or 1440p 330$
case: 50$ make sure it has USB 3.0 ports, 2 fans and the powerbrick goes in the bottom. if you have no clue, fractal design core 2300
power: rosewill capstone, seasonic g-series 550W ~70-80$ DO NOT CHEAP OUT on this
you can add a fat rear end tower CPU cooler if you like 35$, cooler master 212 evo or cryorig H7
ssd: samsung evo 850 or crucial mx100/mx200, 250GB minimum, 500GB for better speed/longevity
hard drive: dead tech, a western digital I guess but not the green series that spin down

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 30, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Erm, I thought the whole point of Geralt and Yennefer's relationship was that it was awkward as gently caress. Geralt made a wish and the Djinn granted him Yennefer's love, even if she didn't really want it herself. It's two people with a horribly volatile relationship stuck in said relationship because some jackass in a bottle decided to gently caress with them.

Then again, i also really like that short story because Dandelion acts like a complete tool and Geralt tells the Djinn to go gently caress itself.

That was a good Secret Exorcism Spell.

Since none of my computers can run Witcher 2 in any kind of playable capacity and I don't have XBox 360, whom I'd have to ask if there are plans to release it on the PS4, or maybe even some kind of a trilogy pack? I tried navigating the Witcher site and CD Projekt forums but I'm too dumb to find an actual e-mail link for customers.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Just wild-rear end guessing here, I suppose what is actually the case is that PC and consoles have all the same assets, but the settings used for the consoles just means that highest-detail versions of some assets (hint: multiple quality-levels of models, texture and effects has been a thing in games for ages) are just not used as extensively, if at all. So where a PC on ultra settings might use the highest detail models for everything out to the horizon, consoles might reserve that level of detail for nearby objects and characters, or close-ups in cutscenes.

you mean like every other multi-platform game in existence? :monocle:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

Since none of my computers can run Witcher 2 in any kind of playable capacity and I don't have XBox 360, whom I'd have to ask if there are plans to release it on the PS4, or maybe even some kind of a trilogy pack? I tried navigating the Witcher site and CD Projekt forums but I'm too dumb to find an actual e-mail link for customers.

In at least one of the developer interviews, they've stated that there are no plans for this at the moment.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ElectricWizard posted:

In at least one of the developer interviews, they've stated that there are no plans for this at the moment.

A shame. Oh well, it's still on my gog shelf awaiting better hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

you mean like every other multi-platform game in existence? :monocle:

Exactly! :thejoke:

• Locked thread