Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Beige posted:

Winamp is surely the pinnacle of human endeavour.

that would be Opera 12.x, but close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
version 2.95 here

itunes is the worst loving poo poo. my friend has that and i brought my usb key with mp3s on it to listen at her place. she tried to explain me the insane process involved to play the drat thing and i was like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk throughout. dogshit

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Foobar felt a little dry for me and I'm entering that stage of life where you just want computers to beep in a way that make you happy. So I stuck to Winamp out of laziness. It's good enough for me.

Gideon_S
Feb 11, 2001

winamp + milkdrop on my giant yellow CRTs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

tripwood posted:

version 2.95 here

itunes is the worst loving poo poo. my friend has that and i brought my usb key with mp3s on it to listen at her place. she tried to explain me the insane process involved to play the drat thing and i was like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk throughout. dogshit

lol I just remembered that

*deletes song from hard drive; is now permanently deleted from phone somehow*

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

lol I just remembered that

*deletes song from hard drive; is now permanently deleted from phone somehow*

it really is amazing how bad it is from top to bottom, like even the design concepts behind it are bizarre and stupid

"Hey, I would like to play some music!"

*starts iTunes, it begins extensive and arcane cataloguing/silence removal/particle physics processing*

"gently caress, no just cancel that poo poo!"

*iTunes takes a few minutes to cancel, finally does*

"Ok, there's a good song, I'll play that"

*iTunes tries to move the file to some other location for some reason before playing it*

"gently caress! Cancel!"

*iTunes thinks about cancelling for a few minutes, then locks up, has to be manually killed from the process list*

It's like whoever designed and built it never used a music player before.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
google music

I don't keep anything on my computer because there's no point

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014
foobar for my big ol folder of music

google play music for streaming. way way better than spotify imo, the im feeling lucky mode is sick. also lets you upload 10k songs from your computer to stream on android phone or at another computer

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

i use it on my Windows 8.1 install i am a living joke

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

AMINAL posted:

also lets you upload 10k songs from your computer to stream on android phone or at another computer

that is a pretty cool feature

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

that is a pretty cool feature

google play is so much better than an mp3 player that it's kind of weird to me that people still use stuff like winamp and foobar unless you have a GIGANTIC library and you never listen to poo poo on your phone or other computers.

Like when I'm at work I can listen to my music library on my laptop or just stream w/e from google and it's all seamless.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

google play is so much better than an mp3 player that it's kind of weird to me that people still use stuff like winamp and foobar unless you have a GIGANTIC library and you never listen to poo poo on your phone or other computers.

Like when I'm at work I can listen to my music library on my laptop or just stream w/e from google and it's all seamless.

yeah I do have a pretty huge collection and usually only listen at home but the flexibility of the streaming thing, using my own music sounds nice

I'll probably be checking it out soon

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah I do have a pretty huge collection and usually only listen at home but the flexibility of the streaming thing, using my own music sounds nice

I'll probably be checking it out soon

You can upload some ancient poo poo quality albums and they'll actually stream you the high quality songs back.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Beige posted:

You can upload some ancient poo poo quality albums and they'll actually stream you the high quality songs back.

drat, that's pretty impressive

I have a fair amount of stuff I've digitized from old vinyl, I wonder how it would handle that

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

drat, that's pretty impressive

I have a fair amount of stuff I've digitized from old vinyl, I wonder how it would handle that

all you need is a google account btw, no stream subscription or anything

google is amazing

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

spoon0042 posted:

lol slashdot

if you're serious: http://www.foobar2000.org/

darkone mod :D

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
i am regulary AmpShamed by friends

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

it really is amazing how bad it is from top to bottom, like even the design concepts behind it are bizarre and stupid

"Hey, I would like to play some music!"

*starts iTunes, it begins extensive and arcane cataloguing/silence removal/particle physics processing*

"gently caress, no just cancel that poo poo!"

*iTunes takes a few minutes to cancel, finally does*

"Ok, there's a good song, I'll play that"

*iTunes tries to move the file to some other location for some reason before playing it*

"gently caress! Cancel!"

*iTunes thinks about cancelling for a few minutes, then locks up, has to be manually killed from the process list*

It's like whoever designed and built it never used a music player before.

The worst is when you delete a playlist on your phone and it clones that on your computer. I back up my playlist file at 00:00 every day because of this.

It's not just itunes - whoever designed the iPod doesn't listen to music and the same goes for the music player on the iPhone, too. For a start, the information display is too slow and doesn't put enough of the info in and second, the volume increments are too large. My web developer friend is the kind of person who browses the 400 tunes he has by cover art and uses it all as light background music, and this profile fits how itunes perform perfectly.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

stay safe llama ghost

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
+1 for milkdrop owns.

The best part is with modern computers you can actually run the math in nearly 1:1 and that really helps when youre stoned

how that poo poo isnt part of a major media player is beyond me

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I use... 2.71 I think? The one before they added a bunch of stupid poo poo. The one I have is literally just a play window, playlist, and equalizer.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

It really whips the llama's rear end.

man i remember hearing that whenever i started winamp

now i want to download winamp again

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
you can still download winamp and it still does the exact thing you expect it to and nothing else.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Yesterday I used Winamp to listen to the Butthole Surfers' Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac.

How cool am I?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is what you want, this is what you get.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Zero posted:

you can still download winamp and it still does the exact thing you expect it to and nothing else.

I'm kind of surprised how it works without issue in Windows 7 64-bit. A program I used to use on Windows 95.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm kind of surprised how it works without issue in Windows 7 64-bit. A program I used to use on Windows 95.

Bien hecho.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
My gf has been using the same sephiroth winamp skin for the best part of 10 years. I'm not even criticising, it's sick.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yes I still use winamp.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Me. I tried switching to AIMP3 and foobar but there was stuff I didnt like as much so I went back.

The only other player I enjoyed was back in the dark ages when Winamps competition was that shareware mp3 player program put out by fraunzhoffer or whoever did the mp3 codec and tried to sue winamp or something.

Winamp was cool but always a bit bloaty and in those days if you didnt have a good computer it would hang while trying to play songs.

Pirate Vision
Mar 12, 2006
Genious.
If you like getting stoned and looking at milkdrop you should probably install bltc because that poo poo is way better than the default milkdrop presets.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
itunes has always worked perfectly for me so i see no reason not to continue my lazy conformist ways

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Brother has itunes installed on his computer, and it still refuses to upload or play certain Metallica songs I have had since the late 90s.

Winamp? Rock on!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Winamp's great.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I have always used Winamp for my listening needs for years, but I got some new hard drives last month and decided to just stick to Foobar2000 because it can convert crap and stuff.
I also have iTunes but never touch it other than for dragging stuff on my phone. Also I think it might gently caress with my files or try to correct tags.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

Oh yeah I remember fixing tags and stuff but it's way easier now that Google play will do it automatically and when it doesn't it almost always suggests the exact right way for you so it takes one click to fix forever

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

Yes I still use winamp.

In it, voted 3

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

88h88 posted:

Yes I still use winamp.

Font rendering hosed up, yo. Props for the best skin, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mng posted:

Font rendering hosed up, yo. Props for the best skin, though.

I assumed this was SA font fuckery. Appears not. I guess I just got used to it... I'm terrible. But at least I'm not an itunes user.

• Locked thread