Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Wise fantasy folks, please help me make two decisions:

1) Right now I have Overpow in my top lane slot, with Vizicsacsi as a sub. They're facing each other next week, and are each likely to pick up a win in their other game (Roccat is vs. H2K and UoL is vs. MYM). The question is really gonna come down to who's gonna win in the head-to-head, which is hard for me to judge since they both seem like they're solid teams and the next tier down from the top 3 of SK/Elements/Fnatic. What do you guys think?
2) As far as carries go next week, I have Forgiven as pretty much guaranteed, and then I have Hai, XWX, and Woolite to distribute among my mid and flex slots. What do you think the best combination would be? I lean towards XWX/Woolite since Impulse have a pretty easy schedule next week for a high-impact player like XWX to go crazy on, and Woolite racked up 40 points even in the week where his team got murdered by Elements and Fnatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Okay seriously what is with the awful death weighting? 10/0/10 is literally worth less points than 15/20/11, it's unreal how many more points a terrible team that can't win until the end of time racks up compared to a team playing well.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Okay seriously what is with the awful death weighting? 10/0/10 is literally worth less points than 15/20/11, it's unreal how many more points a terrible team that can't win until the end of time racks up compared to a team playing well.

Say hello to Gambit, your new fantasy gods.

Real talk: I had 2 players with week with 1 death between them in Forgiven and Hai. Their combined score was less then that of Niq.

Fantasy LCS feels like it should be about identifying really strong players and teams before everyone else does, and in part it is. But there's this weird side component where you're guessing which bad teams will have miserable 60 minute games this week instead of miserable 30 minute games.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The gently caress happened to SK's fantasy scores this week? Looks like they got their game 2 scores set to 0, which swayed a couple matches in my league. Did they get disqualified for being racists and assholes? Or (much more likely) is this a bug that Riot is gonna quietly fix soon?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Frustrated posted:

Fnatic is a perfect example of how riot's fantasy program needs a fleshed out waiver system that makes people wait till a certain point in the week before picking up new players. So many fantasy leagues have been ruined by someone picking up the entire fnatic roster right after their first game.

I'm like 99% positive grabbing Steeel and Yellow won me the league weeks in advance. Them plus Forg1ven combining for an automatic 150 points a week is absurd. I don't even know how you could build a team to reliably outscore that poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Transient People posted:

I'm like 99% positive grabbing Steeel and Yellow won me the league weeks in advance. Them plus Forg1ven combining for an automatic 150 points a week is absurd. I don't even know how you could build a team to reliably outscore that poo poo.
No one's even coming close to the points you're pulling, it's not even a close race. You're the only player who can beat me, and you're drawing over 100 points higher than me. There's no consolation prize for second, it was the ultimate gamble :negative:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Flameingblack posted:

No one's even coming close to the points you're pulling, it's not even a close race. You're the only player who can beat me, and you're drawing over 100 points higher than me. There's no consolation prize for second, it was the ultimate gamble :negative:

If it's any consolation, I am getting absolutely bodied in my other league. When my best choices for flex, top and jungle are Woolite, Odoamne and Loulex I am in deep, deep poo poo. :shepicide:

EDIT: There's one thing you can do to up your chances. Drop Vander. I did it first week and it was one of the best decisions I made. Try Unlimited or Eddie, they'll make you more money. Maybe gamble on Pinoy over Woolie, though that's a bigger gamble.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 15, 2015

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So it looks like I'm going to finish this game with a 3-1 record but be 5th place out of 8, on account of the legit 5-way tie and the fact that I have the lowest combined score of those 5 (at 975).

On the plus side, next week we have the other four 3-1 teams going against each other and me going against the 8th place team, so unless I screw things up massively I'll be 4-1 and in 3rd place!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

So it looks like I'm going to finish this game with a 3-1 record but be 5th place out of 8, on account of the legit 5-way tie and the fact that I have the lowest combined score of those 5 (at 975).

On the plus side, next week we have the other four 3-1 teams going against each other and me going against the 8th place team, so unless I screw things up massively I'll be 4-1 and in 3rd place!

You just reminded me to go take a look at combined point totals for League of My$tery and Megling Genocide. Jeeze, Choco wasn't kidding when he said LoM was a massacre. 1255 points, then the other two league leaders are at 957 and 906. Megling is much more competitive, no 300+ point leads there.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I scored 250ish points this week and still lost by like 105 points.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I lost last week because Froggen went from 50 points a week to 15 out of nowhere :eng99: I don't even know anymore.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I lost last week because Froggen went from 50 points a week to 15 out of nowhere :eng99: I don't even know anymore.
You deserve it for liking players from Elements!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Okay I promised you guys a huge effortpost about the Exempt Non-Residents wuss league this week, and here it is. This was a lot of fun to assemble, but let me know if it's enough of an eyesore that I ought to take it down. Otherwise, I'mma make another of these at the end of week 8, so hopefully the league won't be completely wrapped up with no possible tension by that point.

STATE OF THE LEAGUE

As we close out week 4 and get ready to pass the halfway point this week, I want to confirm that my own laziness was only part of why I delayed this effortpost a week. Another part was because I hoped that another week might break out the 4-way ties we had at the end of every week thus far. I got my wish, but it was one of those cruel genie wishes: we have a 5-way tie for 1st this week instead, making any analysis of “who’s the best?” a lot weaker than it otherwise would be.

We’re at as good a point to reflect as we ever will be, though, since week 4 was the first week in which the average points scored by teams didn’t surpass that of the previous week (it was 253, down from week 3’s 263). That suggests that the teams have found their groove to some extent - we’re not going to be seeing major roster shakeups unless a strong-starting team (Elements?) really goes into full collapse mode.

One notable trend we’re seeing is a stratification of teams into regions - 5/7 of Devil Squadron and Space Prison 13 are EU, while 5/7 of Bangarangs are NA. This trend too has cooled off recently, however, and for good reason - having all your players in one region can lead to insane days (like Bangarangs’ day 3 in week 3, where they scored 168 points) but also disappointing days as all your players fight each other (like Bangarangs’ day 4 in week 3, where they 73 points and ultimately lost). The team owners of Exempt Non-Resident seem to be coalescing around the same wisdom for now: moderation in all things.

That level of relative calm gives us a great opportunity to look at…

THE TEAMS

In rank order, with ties broken by total points scored across weeks.

Space Prison 13
Record: 3-1
Score: 1029
Opponents: Rainbros’ Revenge (W), Bjerger Kings (L), Police & Thieves (W), Promoted to Wood 5 (W)
Star Player: Steelback
Cutest Player: Rekkles

How good is Space Prison? This good: they can afford to put Rekkles on the bench. It’s been a perfectly sensible call to make, given that Steelback, Fox, and PowerOfEvil are already a stacked roster of carries. If there’s any signs of weakness in this roster, it’s coming from either top lane, where Gambit’s recent run of long and brawly games threatens to come to an end, or the jungle, where a middling Jankos has been recently swapped out for a middling Saintvicious. When they’re on, though, Space Prison is definitely on: they’re the only team to have surpassed the 300 point mark for weekly score thus far.

Rainbros’ Revenge
Score: 1025
Opponents: Space Prison 13 (L), Police & Thieves (W), Bangarangs (W), Fartsnatchers (W)
Star Player: Bjergsen
Cutest Player: Altec

After all the praise I lavished on Space Prison, it’d be unfair for me to deny equal praise to the team that’s a mere .4% behind them in cumulative score and on a 3-week winning streak. It’s kinda what happens when you have a team with Bjergsen and two of SK’s biggest players. Rainbros’ Revenge also have the luxury of an impressive bench, with Ryu waiting in the wings if h2k continue to capitalize on the potential they’ve been showing recently. Meteos is likely going to keep sitting on the bench, unfortunately - even if C9 return to form, Svenskeren is just too good to cut.

Bangarangs
Score: 1017
Opponents: Promoted to Wood 5 (W), Devil Squadron (W), Rainbros’ Revenge (L), Police & Thieves (W)
Star Player: Doublelift
Cutest Player: Aphromoo

So here’s an impressive feat: putting together a 3-1 team and amassing a cumulative score only 1% lower than the league leader, all without a single player in the top 20 fantasy point scorers. The Bangarangs have achieved that by putting together a very balanced roster that’s strong in areas where other teams are hurting - Rush would be a starting jungler for most, but he’s rightfully on the bench in favor of Airwaks here. Top lane, staffed by the serially underperforming Balls and Wickd, is the only weak spot here. Also: Doublelift or Wickd could have easily won cutest player in a number of other teams.This is a stacked roster in the looks department.

Bjerger Kings
Score: 983
Opponents: Fartsnatchers (W), Space Prison 13 (W), Promoted to Wood 5 (W), Devil Squadron (L)
Star Player: Froggen
Cutest Player: Santorin

Here we drop off to the second tier of 3-1 teams, which can be summarized as “strong squads who had one very rough week”. In the Bjerger Kings’ case, unfortunately, that off week was the most recent one. Mash can usually be considered the weak link of this team, but Froggen and Nukeduck but turned in terrible performances in week 4. Whether or not the team can rebound is unclear - if all goes wrong, they’ve still got Santorin, and Elements’ easy week 5 schedule should allow Froggen to get back to his high-rolling ways.

Devil Squadron
Score: 975
Opponents: Police & Thieves (W), Bangarangs (L), Fartnsatchers (W), Bjerger Kings (L)
Star Player: Yellowstar
Cutest Player: Xpecial

On paper, Devil Squadron is in an excellent place, with 3 of the top 10 league-wide point scorers on their roster in the form of Yellowstar, Freeze, and Soren. The problem lies in the fact that last time Devil Squadron adopted a mentality of “these sleeper picks have done really well thus far”, it led to a disastrous week 2 loss featuring embarrassing performances from Werlyb, IWDominate, and Xpecial. Future performance will depend strongly on whether picking up both of CW’s carries works out, but week 5 at least should be fairly smooth sailing, given Devil Squadron’s 38-point projected lead over their opponents.

Fartsnatchers
Record: 1-3
Score: 988
Opponents: Bjerger Kings (L), Promoted to Wood 5 (W), Devil Squadron (L), Rainbros’ Revenge (L)
Star Player: Wildturtle
Cutest Player: Reignover

The unluckiest team in the league - and in any other league, it wouldn’t be close. No team with Reignover and both halves of Wild Boys should be ranked this low. And it’s not as if the team is full of potential but hasn’t been delivering - Wildturtle and Reignover are both in the top 10 for individual scorers, and the Fartsnatchers’ cumulative score is 4th in the league. The problem really is just luck - the team’s losses in weeks 3 and 4 were both close affairs to teams that scored over 280 points that week. There’s no glaring weak link here, no major strategic moves necessary - only the hope that luck improves.

Police & Thieves
Record: 0-4
Score: 939
Opponents: Devil Squadron (L), Rainbros’ Revenge (L), Space Prison 13 (L), Bangarangs (L)
Star Player: Febiven
Cutest Player: Sneaky

If Fartsnatchers are the unluckiest team in terms of disparity between score and rank, Police & Thieves are the unluckiest team in terms of sheer black comedy. In all 4 weeks so far, this squad has lost to the highest weekly scorer. Originally named Eddy’s 0-8 Bloodlust, this team shed the Gambit underperformers after week 1 in favor of star players like Febiven and Shook. It’s resulted in impressive leaps from week 1’s score - a little over 180 in that week and over 240 in all subsequent weeks - but that hasn’t translated to a win quite yet. Luckily, the team has an engaged owner who’s always hustling for good trades and acquisitions, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them pick up a few wins before the end of the season.

Promoted to Wood 5
Record: 0-4
Score: 794
Opponents: Bangarangs (L), Fartsnatchers (L), Bjerger Kings (L), Space Prison 13 (L)
Star Player: Link
Cutest Player: Helios

While Police & Thieves took their week 1 asskicking as motivation to build a much more powerful team, Promoted to Wood 5 only exacerbated their problems before peacing out. Long after everyone else has gotten rid of Giants players, Promoted to Wood 5 is still sporting Frederic and the team - potentially because two weeks of rough losses left them in a difficult position that their owner didn’t feel was worth scrambling to get out of. Whatever the reasons, Promoted to Wood 5 are living up to their name as the league’s bottom team, with a cumulative score nearly 150 points behind their nearest competitor.

SPECIAL ZONE

Dumbest loving Idiot: Jonny Angel of Devil Squadron, week 2
Going into week 2 with a resounding victory under her belt, Jonny was faced with a dilemma: she was starting Overpow and Woolite, and Roccat had a rough schedule of Fnatic and Elements for week 2. Thinking herself super smart, she went for a double support roster, anchored by week 1 assist powerhouses IWDominate and Xpecial, and bolstered by Werlyb the unstoppable Jax monster. These were almost unilaterally poor decisions: while new acquisition Yellowstar performed great, the two Liquid players and the Giant averaged a mere 2 points. To add insult to injury, while Roccat indeed lost both games, the benched players from the squad averaged 30 points. Jonny’s too-clever-by-half plan led to a disastrous week 2, and is the reason she’s currently in 5th place despite winning all other weeks.

Smartest loving Egghead: Libertine of Police & Thieves, week 2
It may seem strange to give out an award for smart decisions to someone who’s still winless and ranked 7th on points, but one has to understand the level of danger Libertine was in. Going all in on Gambit produced terrible results in week 1, which led to new players in every position except for the two AD carries - the titular Police & Thieves. Every single one of these swaps worked out, at least in the short term: they all posted higher scores than their week 1 counterparts, for a total point increase of about 70 between weeks. Most of the players at the top of this league got there due to great drafts, and their strategic calls since then have mostly been as simple as swapping in your Fnatic players after week 1. Libertine, on the other hand, got dealt a terrible hand after Gambit showed up looking nothing like their IEM-winning selves, and has been making the best of it ever since.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

That was an amazing writeup, and I wish we had more of those around. Would anybody be interested in a writeup of either of the money leagues (Megling Genocide and League of My$tery)? There's a lot that could be said about Choco's great and adaptive picks, or the sheer comedy of some of the Megling roster swaps.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Its stupid how close the Wuss league is. I mean, I'm winning but we're pretty much all within a few kills/deaths of each other. I'm hosed this week because Fnatic are playing SK and both are too good to get a long drawn out game where everyone feeds all the carries except Nrated which is a major problem with investing in one region. It's easier to do an all EU than all NA because EU games tend to go longer but when your star players face off you kinda get stuck. I could swap out Steelback for Rekkles but EL are in free fall at the moment and it risks me losing out if Fnatic go big.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Well, there's a chance your opponent will forget to replace Wickd, so that should be good for a free win!

To Transient's question: I'd obviously love to see a writeup on either prize league. I figure as long as we have this empty-assed thread, we should use it for giant posts that would have no business in the main competitive League thread.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 19, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

Well, there's a chance your opponent will forget to replace Wickd, so that should be good for a free win!

To Transient's question: I'd obviously love to see a writeup on either prize league. I figure as long as we have this empty-assed thread, we should use it for giant posts that would have no business in the main competitive League thread.
no way we should post them all in the main competitive thread because they're all massive babies who can't take the 3 competitive posts per week this thread gets without popping blood vessels from rage.

Trading would be a lot of fun in League of Mystery but it doesn't matter who trades with who because Transient is still gonna end up with 7 mystery skins pretty much no matter what. It'd be real interesting to re-draft at the end of the week and see what kind of teams everyone would end up with, though. Now that we know SK and FNatic are stomping EU there's no way one person would end up with more than 2 members of either team.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

You can actually win if I lose our clash tomorrow/this week. Don't count yourself out. If SK bodies fnatic you have decent shot (oddly enough).

---

Now, since I'm awake and can't sleep, and there's time to kill, let's do a...

Megling Genocide League Rundown

Of the two money leagues I am aware of, Megling Genocide is the one with the biggest battle for the pole position, with all four frontrunner teams ready to battle it out starting tomorrow. That being the case, it's interesting to analyze how this league became so contested. Let's break down the teams:

Rekt by Rek'sai (Mistaya)
Weekly Record L (vs All About That Jayce), W (vs Scarra's Poachers), W (vs 10/10 Would Do Trist), W (vs Cash Losing Game)
Original Roster: Calitrlolz8, Meteos, Shiphtur, Altec, Edward, Link, Elements
Current Roster: Vizicsacsi, Meteos, Link, Steeelback, Yellowstar, Altec, Team Solo Mid
Average Points Per Week: 273.98
Total Points Accumulated: 1095.93

At the top of the standings by a hair, Mistaya's team is a sterling example of how to discard assumptions derived from previous fantasy drafts and adapt rapidly. After a disastrous Week One (217 points! And beaten by a hair by All About That Jayce thanks to the insane performance of IWillDominate on the opening week), the rapid acquisition of Steeelback and deployment of Yellowstar and Vizicsacsi from the bench quickly righted the ship. The team has remained at the top of the standings ever since, padding its lead with two easy wins against the bottom teams before a skin-of-the-teeth clash with Cash Losing Game that saw it emerge victorious. It's hard to say whether the lead will hold as the draft changes and evolves and the other teams racing for first get some extra wins in against the easier competition, but Mistaya's keen eye is sure to keep her in contention until the very last week of the league, at the least.

Team Richard Dorkins (Mastercoo7588)
Weekly Record L (vs Scarra's Poachers), W (vs 10/10 Would Do Trist), W (vs Cash Losing Game), W (vs Poor Impulse Control)
Original Roster: Mimer, Shook, Bjergsen, Doublelift, Sheep, Fox, Cloud 9
Current Roster: Impact, Shook, Bjergsen, Doublelift, Nrated, Fox, Cloud 9
Average Points Per Week: 268.34
Total Points Accumulated: 1073.39

The runner-up in the race for the throne, TRD was also a victim of early week weirdness - a roster that had yet to be fully ironed out was defeated by Obscurity in a close-but-not-that-close match, once again with a Team Liquid bump propelling the opponent team to victory. The replacement of Mimer for Impact and Sheep for Nrated was all it took to catapult the team to stardom, as they posted a game 40 points better than their first (admittedly against the weakest team in the league), before obliterating Cash Losing Game with an astounding 323 point week. A less than 10-point win against fellow challenger Poor Impulse Control served to solidify their place in the standings, leaving them in a prime position for the big clash of Week 5, against their closest opponent - the team immediately following.

Aziriously Biznasty (AdjectiveNoun)
Weekly Record W (vs 10/10 Would Do Trist), W (vs Cash Losing Game), L (vs Poor Impulse Control), W (vs All About That Jayce)
Original Roster: Fredy122, Jankos, Febiven, Sneaky, Lemonnation, Forg1ven, Team Impulse
Current Roster: Fredy122, Svenskeren, Febiven, Forg1ven, Lemonnation, Pobelter, Counter Logic Gaming
Average Points Per Week: 259.91
Total Points Accumulated: 1039.67

The most feared team before the start of week one, hands down. Nownn was the man to beat coming into the league, and this has remained absolutely true with the passing of weeks and the strengthening of his roster, in spite of not holding the top position. It's hard to blame him for it, really - his loss to Poor Impulse Control was a matter of less than a single point (279.48 vs 279.77!), and even that miracle has not kept him from steamrolling his opponents, match after match. Week five will be a make-or-breaker, though, as the match with Team Richard Dorkins may decide who gets to rise to the undisputed pole position. Keep your eyes peeled for this one.

Poor Impulse Control (Enigma105)
Weekly Record L (vs Cash Losing Game), W (vs All About That Jayce), W (vs Aziriously Biznasty), L (vs Team Richard Dorkins)
Original Roster: Balls, Rush, Froggen, P1noy, Xpecial, Pobelter, Roccat
Current Roster: Huni, Xmithie, Froggen, P1noy, Bunnyfufuu, Slooshi8, Fnatic
Average Points Per Week: 254.22
Total Points Accumulated: 1016.91

The one team not to benefit from the Liquid Bump enough to win, Enigma has nonetheless managed to bring his team back from what seemed like a very bad start, defeating All About That Jayce with is before rallying to pull off a miracle win against Nownn. It would not be unfair to call this team the spoiler - anybody can win against it, just as anybody can lose. And this makes Enigma's matchup with Rekt By Rek'sai this week all the more important. A win will allow the team to finally get over the hump and secure a good position for itself, having played all three of the other top contenders to reasonable success and being left with only the weaker teams to farm wins off of. A loss will put it at the mercy of chance and luck, as far as securing the top spot goes. Watch the Elements game - Froggen's performance will most likely be what determines if this team rises or falls.

Scarra's Poachers (Lloydd Christmas/Obscurity)
Weekly Record W (vs Team Richard Dorkins), L (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs All About That Jayce), W (10/10 Would Do Trist)
Original Roster: Quas, Kikis, XiaoWeiXiao, Cop, Aphromoo, Adryh, Winterfox
Current Roster: Quas, Kikis, Fenix, Cop, Aphromoo, Helios, Unicorns of Love
Average Points Per Week: 229.62
Total Points Accumulated: 918.49

And here is where we move from the contenders to the also-rans. It's true that Obscurity's team has been the only one to hand TRD a loss, so far, but, as the Monkees would say...that was then, this is now. Two categorical losses, one against a top team and another against a mid-level squad, have left this team in a bad position. Getting an easy win has helped take the sting off those losses, but now the team's tournament life is on the line. A win against Cash Losing Game will allow them to keep hope a live. A loss will most likely seal their fate for a middle-of-the-table finish. The lack of a major point-scorer on the Flex slot is sure to hurt them in what is likely to be a high-stakes match. Keep an eye on Team Liquid this week - if they fall, so fall Scarra's Poachers.

All About That Jayce (Proposition Joe)
Weekly Record W (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs Poor Impulse Control), W (vs Scarra's Poachers), L (vs Aziriously Biznasty)
Original Roster: Wickd, IWillDominate, Soren, Rekkles, Vander, MrRallez, Team Liquid
Current Roster: Wickd, Reignover, Nukeduck, Rekkles, Vander, IWDominate, Team Liquid
Average Points Per Week: 217.86
Total Points Accumulated: 871.45

Dead in the water. It's harsh to say of a team that managed to steal a win from a top flight squad, but Proposition Joe's team has never been truly competitive, posting clean losses (including, I believe, the single most ghastly performance in the league last week, 153.77 points. Absolutely wretched) and only one clear win. This would normally not be a problem. What is a problem is the failure to adapt to the roster change of Elements. There's only some 11 hours left before LCS spots lock in as of the creation of this writeup, and if a swap for Wickd is not undertaken soon, AATJ will roll into battle with one spot posting 0 points this week. For a team that has never been particularly high-scoring, that's an absolute death sentence.

Cash Losing Game (Transient People)
Weekly Record W (vs Poor Impulse Control), L (vs Aziriously Biznasty), L (vs Team Richard Dorkins), L (vs Rekt by Rek'sai)
Original Roster: Cris, Diamond, Hai, Wildturtle, Lustboy, PowerOfEvil, SK Gaming
Current Roster: Youngbuck, Saintvicious, PowerOfEvil, Wildturtle, Lustboy, KEITHMCBRIEF, SK Gaming
Average Points Per Week: 246.93
Total Points Accumulated: 987.72

Hm. Weird. Something about this doesn't seem right. I wonder what it-

...Oh.

Not only am I writing about myself, but there's an amusing amount of things to talk about. The first is that despite the 1-3 start, Cash Losing Game is more competitive than it looks - its point value is close to that of the top contenders, beating the two preceding teams by more than 60 total points and posting a 20 point higher average. Three things are to blame for this team's losses: The first is the extremely stacked early weeks (four straight matches against the contenders!), the second is sheer bad luck (an extremely close loss against Rekt by Rek'sai might have sealed Mistaya's championship), and the third and most important are the sheer amount of boneheaded decisions made by its manager. The active lineup doesn't tell the story of all the bench hijinks that went on with this team, but that's a matter for a different part of the writeup. The second noticeable thing is this team's extremely volatile composition: Out a toplaner and jungle after the mediocre performances of Cris and Diamond in week one, Transient People has drafted a new jungler and top every week, looking for 'the ones' to no avail, and also replacing POE in the flex slot for Woolite, who has recently been swapped for Keith in a massive gamble. Should this latest set of decisions pay off, it's possible that Cash Losing Game might make a run for the title - its three next remaining matches are with the other weak teams, which it could potentially defeat and thus come in 4-3 for the final two weeks, at which point a dark horse victory would be unlikely, but not impossible. But that's very far away, and very much reliant on lady luck's blessing. First, a good roster has to be established, and only the games can tell whether these swaps will prove to be enlightened, or yet another step in the downward spiral. This team's fortunes reinforce an old truism: No matter what, never play the Cash Losing Game.

10/10 Would Do Trist (noushutupdad)
Weekly Record L (vs Aziriously Biznasty), L (vs Team Richard Dorkins), L (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs Scarra's Poachers)
Original Roster: Dyrus, Airwaks, Jesiz, Woolite, Nyph, Ryu, Team Solo Mid
Current Roster: Dyrus, Santorin, Kori, Mash, Nyph, Freeze, Gravity
Average Points Per Week: 206.38
Total Points Accumulated: 825.54

The stone cold last place finisher. Nothing more to say here. I could just have posted the original and current rosters and left it at that, but you could talk for days about the mistakes this team's made. Look at that point average! This team, more than any other, lays bare the uncomfortable truth of the Fantasy League: The way to win isn't to grab guys who might be high-scorers, it's to grab players who are consistent. Woolite, Nyph, Mash, Kori, Ryu...these guys are anything but. Sometimes they can explode and get 50 points, but most days they'll just get 20, if that.That's a death sentence. There isn't much this team can do to save itself, short of a terminal case of the stupids from another team. It can, however, act as the ultimate spoiler, if it decides to give away its best players. Dyrus and Santorin could reinforce practically any squad and turn it into a top flight team (Santorin especially), and they are currently doing nothing in this squad. noushutupdad may not win the league, but he could very well end up being its kingmaker, if he decides to play that way.

---

Smartest Manager In The League Award

It's impossible to pretend the Man With The Plan of this league wasn't Nownn. Circumstances might have conspired to keep him from the top position, but unless one instance of bad luck turns into a trend, his pitch-perfect opening draft and acquisitions will lock down the league for him. Megling Genocide is highly competitive and anything can happen, but if I had to bet on just one person, I'd bet on Nownn.

Nitwit of the League Dishonorable Mention

That'd be me, Transient People. It's hard to really put the chain of :downs: that led to those losses into words, but let me try.

-Acquired Impact and Helios in first draft.
-Noticing they couldn't play, drafted Diamond and Cris for first week, hoping to deploy them in week 2.
-Didn't keep them on the bench, thus ensuring they would be picked up (:downs:).
-Scrambling for a replacement, bought into the Giants hype, twice, drafting Werlyb and Fr3deric (:downs: :downs:)
-Grabbed Avalon and Loulex on the next week...not a bad draft, but on Avalon's worst week, it was not enough to compete against TRD's 323 point monster.
-Drafted Woolite, in spite of prizing consistency above all else. :shepicide:

It's not one decision, but a chain of bad ones that has kept Cash Losing Game from leading the league. It may be too late to fix past fuckups, but at least this comedy of errors had one positive effect - ensuring that I knew what NOT to do in the other money league, and leading to a set of performances that have been dominant as all hell. In a way, Megling Genocide's been an unwitting testbed for the other money League...though I'd have much preferred if it hadn't turned out that way.

---

Other money league tomorrow, maybe. Depends on whether I'm too busy marking out over EULCS or crushed by the weight of :shepicide:.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The only thing I can rely on is that Gambit vs FNatic this week will be a blood bath and worth hella points so I have players from both teams.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Thanks for the props in the write-up. I've been trying to improve my team every single week by the smallest of margins but yeah I've lost to the #1 team each week 4 weeks in a row. I seem to always meet everyone's team at their best week.

I'm not holding out any hope but maybe this will be the week.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boy is my opponent this week going to be pissed when he realizes that I picked up Kevin this week and started him while he still has Wicked as his top laner.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
RIP whoever is going up against this:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Also worth screenshotting:

The whole league really is riding on this week. This match by itself almost outscored everybody else combined so far.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting for them to fix their poo poo so the Gambit scores update. Looks like we broke the game.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

Thanks for the props in the write-up. I've been trying to improve my team every single week by the smallest of margins but yeah I've lost to the #1 team each week 4 weeks in a row. I seem to always meet everyone's team at their best week.

I'm not holding out any hope but maybe this will be the week.

No problem! I've really enjoyed seeing your team take shape.

After this week I'm planning another, smaller writeup about roster changes in Exempt Non-Residents. Who's swapped, who's been consistent, which trades worked out, which dropped players got picked up by other teams, etc. I feel like you might come off a little less well in that one, given Gambit's evolution from their awful week 1 form to a mid-tier team that racks up big points in slow brawly games.

Also, Transient, way to steal my false modesty schtick by also labeling yourself the dumbest. Excellent writeup, though, and definitely something that's getting me thinking about teams in my own league in a more longitudinal sense.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Well I got Diamond back on my roster but I can't remember who I had swapped around in the first place in the past trade. I think Impaler, who I thought would be really great but then didn't work out and I dropped him to get Diamond back. No one in our League owns Edward now. I still think the Supports I have exceed him in performance even if they are unremarkable (and support has been my weakest slot all season).

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Also, it kinda says something about my abysmal early roster that I have only 2 members of it still in my starting roster, and 1 of them is the jungler I'm looking to trade.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

Also, it kinda says something about my abysmal early roster that I have only 2 members of it still in my starting roster, and 1 of them is the jungler I'm looking to trade.
My Korean Hype Train was derailed quickly. I think I've dumped 5 of my original members (Impact, Piglet, Gamsu, and Lustboy on total accident)

Transient, if I win this week will you give me back Lustboy :negative:

I can't believe that I had Altec and Lustboy and dumped them both and I'm still tied for first.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 20, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jesus Christ gambit has put me over 100 points ahead of Transient. If KEITHMCBRIEF can out carry Bjerg's points this week I think I'll be the clear winner by some miracle

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Transient People posted:

All About That Jayce (Proposition Joe)
Weekly Record W (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs Poor Impulse Control), W (vs Scarra's Poachers), L (vs Aziriously Biznasty)
Original Roster: Wickd, IWillDominate, Soren, Rekkles, Vander, MrRallez, Team Liquid
Current Roster: Wickd, Reignover, Nukeduck, Rekkles, Vander, IWDominate, Team Liquid
Average Points Per Week: 217.86
Total Points Accumulated: 871.45

Dead in the water. It's harsh to say of a team that managed to steal a win from a top flight squad, but Proposition Joe's team has never been truly competitive, posting clean losses (including, I believe, the single most ghastly performance in the league last week, 153.77 points. Absolutely wretched) and only one clear win. This would normally not be a problem. What is a problem is the failure to adapt to the roster change of Elements. There's only some 11 hours left before LCS spots lock in as of the creation of this writeup, and if a swap for Wickd is not undertaken soon, AATJ will roll into battle with one spot posting 0 points this week. For a team that has never been particularly high-scoring, that's an absolute death sentence.

I like the write-up!

My team blows but 11 hours was plenty of time to make a change for Wickd. Also I finally dumped a lot of dead weight, getting rid of Wickd, Vander, and MrRallez in favor of Hylissang, Avalon, and Apollo. And obviously those guys are the key to winning the championship.

Last week was just hilarious though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Giodo! posted:

I like the write-up!

My team blows but 11 hours was plenty of time to make a change for Wickd. Also I finally dumped a lot of dead weight, getting rid of Wickd, Vander, and MrRallez in favor of Hylissang, Avalon, and Apollo. And obviously those guys are the key to winning the championship.

Last week was just hilarious though.

Now those are decent swaps. I would definitely revise that writeup in light of those changes. Avalon makes me a little antsy (WFX is kind of a rollercoaster) but the other two are very solid performers. That's definitely enough to at least make a run.

EDIT: My goondolences about Rekkles though. Elements are such shitters.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I started Shook this week because Elements had two slam dunk easy as gently caress games vs. Giants and Roccat, and he and their whole team poo poo the bed while I had Diamondprox on the bench with 69 points (second highest jungle score week in the entire LCS season after IWD's Week 1).

loving poo poo I hate Elements.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

loving poo poo I hate Elements.

People still had faith in elements after their past shitshow games? I was really happy I passed their dudes over the second they had their first poo poo game. Consistency is too important to win fantasy and elements is the most inconsistent team in both leagues.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Transient People posted:

People still had faith in elements after their past shitshow games? I was really happy I passed their dudes over the second they had their first poo poo game. Consistency is too important to win fantasy and elements is the most inconsistent team in both leagues.

RIP my fantasy team thanks to Elements. It seemed like such a good idea when I was drafting.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

And that's the clincher. Barring a hypercarry performance from Bjergsen AND Dyrus (that somehow gives TSM zero objectives) and Keith also tanking, you win the big one. Well played, Choco. But this isn't over yet...!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Transient People posted:

And that's the clincher. Barring a hypercarry performance from Bjergsen AND Dyrus (that somehow gives TSM zero objectives) and Keith also tanking, you win the big one. Well played, Choco. But this isn't over yet...!
We get to face one another one more time, right?

Jesus christ how did Edward manage to get the most points in Europe this week

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

We get to face one another one more time, right?

Jesus christ how did Edward manage to get the most points in Europe this week

Assuming we both absolutely murder the rest of the league, I think that's right. Maybe even two times if I win the second, because then we'll be tied for the head to head.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask: how do the last two weeks work? You face everyone else once, and there are two weeks left. Are those like playoffs or something?

EDIT: Oh God I'm going to lose to an AWOL 0-4 team in what might still end up as my highest-scoring week, that's hilarious

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 22, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Everything went right for me this week, I think I've got this won. There's almost no chance in hell that Dyrus and Bjergson can pull a combined 97 points minimum to catch up to me. My Gambit (HAW HAW) paid off too with EdWard and P1noy both hard-carrying the poo poo out of me by being two of the highest scoring players all week.

It's a bit trashy that a surrender doesn't net players extra points though, they've missed a lot of points just from towers they could have pushed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Good news, everybody: this week is the first week of the Wuss League that didn't end with a 4+ person tie.

• Locked thread