Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Neo Rasa posted:

In Mortal Kombat 3 characters officially got the long rumored animalities where the person would turn into a huge spirit animal and devour their foe. When UMK3 came out the animalities were instead very very rushed like stock clipart of an animal appears and makes the enemy explode or whatever. Anyways the important part of this is that Sheeva's was a scorpion and each character had a different animal. So when they added Scorpion into UMK3....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvLPzNtCTM

Reptile's was ill fitting as well.

http://youtu.be/3ocKzVFQLXU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bosushi! posted:

Reptile's was ill fitting as well.

God bless the men and women who make Mortal Kombat.

Still no straight answer as to why Hotaru has a girl's name though. :)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Neo Rasa posted:

God bless the men and women who make Mortal Kombat.

Still no straight answer as to why Hotaru has a girl's name though. :)

You say that like it makes sense another dude's name is literally "The Main Character" in Japanese. Hotaru at least can be a guy's name though it isn't common.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

You say that like it makes sense another dude's name is literally "The Main Character" in Japanese. Hotaru at least can be a guy's name though it isn't common.

Well he's the main character, DUH. :)

Lemon
May 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpmwFw-UHls

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loving loved MK9, even moreso than Injustice with its cheapass poo poo and handfuls of terrible, boring characters. The variant modes in this look like such an awesome addition, will be buying this day one but I do cling to the naive hope that Tag Match will be brought back.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaVqewZYrNM

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

As nice as this looks, I'm really just hoping it sells well enough to fund a new Shaolin Monks :shobon:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Why the hell would anyone not like Quan Chi? He makes dudes break skulls on their faces and hi-fives demons for extra power.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I get that there's no way to make Reptile more lizard-like that isn't dumb as hell but that goofy little beak they keep giving him looks so bad.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Nativity In Black posted:

Why the hell would anyone not like Quan Chi? He makes dudes break skulls on their faces and hi-fives demons for extra power.

The steady growth of the Quan Chi fan club itt is easily the best thing about Mortal Kombat XX Reload. Haters walk into a floating knife

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Quan Chi is probably the only good character to come out of the post MK3-pre MK9 game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I was kinda hoping they'd evolve the X-ray attacks to be something more than a flashy nondeadly-finishing move but it looks like they've ramped them up even more now so that they're literally fatalities without the death.

Like, i was hoping for some kind of tactical approach to it. So, each character would maybe have a leg/arm/torso one or whatever and when it connected, it would leave the opponent with lasting damage, like one arm or one leg meaning either reduced movement and mobility or a reduction in moves that could be performed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's cool if all the characters have dialogue like that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They do and it's all terrible.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They do and it's all terrible.

I now have a quarrel with you

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah pretty much all the X-rays are things that'd be instantly fatal if used on any actual human being, it's hilarious.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Ripping a guys leg off and beating the poo poo out of them with it is the best fatality.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kin posted:

I was kinda hoping they'd evolve the X-ray attacks to be something more than a flashy nondeadly-finishing move but it looks like they've ramped them up even more now so that they're literally fatalities without the death.

Like, i was hoping for some kind of tactical approach to it. So, each character would maybe have a leg/arm/torso one or whatever and when it connected, it would leave the opponent with lasting damage, like one arm or one leg meaning either reduced movement and mobility or a reduction in moves that could be performed.

It would be really cool to see your opponent limping on a broken leg after nailing one of those. :agreed:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kurtofan posted:

Quan Chi is probably the only good character to come out of the post MK3-pre MK9 game.

The post MK3 characters I liked are Kenshi, Bo' Rai Cho, Frost, Reiko, and MoKap. Reiko wasn't that memorable but I enjoyed playing as him. Mokap was a funny joke but not much beyond that. There are a bunch of MK characters that I'd be ok with never seeing again. Also, lol at MK vs DC for not having any post MK3 characters.

Jake Blues posted:

It would be really cool to see your opponent limping on a broken leg after nailing one of those. :agreed:

Kind of reminds me of stabbing opponents in MK 5 (Deadly Alliance). I feel like one of the few people that liked that feature.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm really curious how Kitana and Kung Lao are back. It was pretty cool how they were only introducing characters that survived the last game or new characters, and now we have characters back from the dead (which isn't unexpected), so I wonder how that will factor into the story.

Also, someone please make a second thread for people more focused on "pro-level" type of play so the people interested in mechanics and tournaments can post there, and the people who just wanna chill and punch dudes can post here and nobody's jumping down someone else's throat for playing the wrong way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Spacebump posted:

The post MK3 characters I liked are Kenshi, Bo' Rai Cho, Frost, Reiko, and MoKap. Reiko wasn't that memorable but I enjoyed playing as him. Mokap was a funny joke but not much beyond that. There are a bunch of MK characters that I'd be ok with never seeing again. Also, lol at MK vs DC for not having any post MK3 characters.

MK vs. DC didn't even have any MK3 characters in it. It was just the MK1/MK2 all-stars. Though Quan Chi was around in story mode a lot and was going to be DLC before Midway went bankrupt.

Post-MK3 characters I like: Kenshi, Frost, Quan Chi, Havik, Sareena, Moloch and Mavado. Then again, I thought Stryker was the worst and MK9 suddenly made him awesome. I'm sure they could make something out of, say, Kai if they tried.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
They have better not put any jump scares or screamers at the Krypt this time...

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

Unlucky7 posted:

They have better not put any jump scares or screamers at the Krypt this time...

Oh you know they're going to. Ed Boon is a sadistic enough bastard not to.

I'm curious what stage fatalities they're going to have. They were all pretty good in MK9 (if you ignore the skewered liver in the pit remake.)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Yea lemme get in on this character action: Quan Chi, Kenshi, Bo Rai Cho, Frost, Mavado, Kobra, Skarlet, & Li Mei. I also really liked the updates to Ermac, Rain, Smoke and Noob Saibot from the later games but those don't really count.

The characters like Hotaru, Ahsrah(???), & Havik might be cooler with another pass. Havik was already on the cusp anyways I liked his moves.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 28, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hotaru and Havik could be cool. Well to be fair Havik is rather cool already.

Quan Chi has always been one of my favorite characters. Shinnok from the same games as Quan Chi could be made cool as well with some improvements.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hotaru and Havik could be cool. Well to be fair Havik is rather cool already.

Quan Chi has always been one of my favorite characters. Shinnok from the same games as Quan Chi could be made cool as well with some improvements.

Shinnok shows up at the end of MK9 I've always like Frost because the idea of being like the great grandmaster and just ending up with the worlds worst apprentice.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm really glad that all the new characters they shown sofar have been very good, especially since the last time the did a big cast shakeup there was maybe 2 characters that weren't complete trash.

D'vorah is especially cool but I hope Cyber Sub-Zero and human Smoke come back.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Favorite characters from later games?

Reiko, Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Bo Rai Cho, and Shujinko. I like Shujinko just for how much of an idiot he is. Also I am the only person in the world that likes Hsu Hao.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Based on the comic and a leaked casting call for the MKX web series, here are some characters yet to be officially announced:

- Takeda: At some point, Kenshi was able to help Scorpion reconnect with his humanity. Scorpion went off to go restart his ninja clan. Kenshi was undercover in the Red Dragon for a while, but his cover was blown. He then discovered that he had a son and the Red Dragon was going to target him. While Takeda's mother was killed, Kenshi rescued Takeda and handed him off to Scorpion to keep an eye on him. Takeda grew up under Scorpion's tutelage and is now his only surviving pupil. He inherited his father's abilities.

- Jacqueline Briggs: Not only are Kitana and Kung Lao alive again, but so is Jax somehow. He had a daughter who was brought up to be part of the Special Forces. So far she's mainly been shown to be Cassie Cage's more responsible best friend, but it's pretty apparent that she'll make it into the game.

- Erron Black: The web series will have a character named Salazar, a mercenary from Earthrealm who has since moved into Outworld and rose up the ranks, using his Earth-based fighting skills. He's currently part of Kotal Kahn's entourage. The latest issue of the comic shows a masked cowboy gunslinger guy named Erron Black working under Kotal Kahn. This is most likely just Salazar with a name change. Totally bitching design, though.

- Mileena: Since Shao Kahn fell, Mileena's been trying to take the throne. That's brought her into a lengthy war against Outworld's new emperor Kotal Kahn. Mileena is no longer with Baraka, but has left him for Reiko.

- Kung Jin: Kung Jin is Kung Lao's younger cousin. After Lao's death, the family kind of fell apart. Jin moved to the US and became a thief until running across Raiden. Raiden convinced him to seek out the Shaolin and train like his cousin did. Kung Jin has since trained under Bo' Rai Cho. As one of the main heroes, he's known for his street smarts.

- Ron Tan' Cho: A middle-aged crime boss who is a major sadist and sociopath. Probably from Outworld, considering he's an enemy of D'Vorah.

- Johnny Cage: While we don't even know who the villain is of the game or what the threat everyone's up against is, at some point Johnny Cage puts together his own Special Forces offshoot with a handful of the game's heroes to go take care of it. Looking at the latest issue of the comic, he and Sonya are divorced with Cassie more interested in hanging out with her rich, gives-no-shits father than her strict military mother.

- Kenshi: I'd consider him a sure bet if it wasn't for his son being in there, making him a little redundant. I imagine he'd probably be DLC. Kenshi abandoned his son to investigate the Red Dragon and destroy them to keep Takeda safe. While they're both on Cage's team, they don't really get along due to Takeda's double abandonment issues.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Oh you know they're going to. Ed Boon is a sadistic enough bastard not to.

I'm curious what stage fatalities they're going to have. They were all pretty good in MK9 (if you ignore the skewered liver in the pit remake.)

I don't doubt it. I keep wanting to get the PC version while it is on sale so I could finish up story mode, but then I remember that and put it off.

Still, I will be getting it when it inevitably goes on sale soon, and this too.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I think everything looks really awesome except... I really don't like the character variants. I really don't like that some moves from one variant aren't available on other variants.
When I pick a character I pick them for their personality and moves... splitting that up just, I'm afraid they won't be deep enough as individual styles, if feels like a gimmick and I hate it.

I'm so glad the OP had news on the PGP controller, I had no idea that was even being made. Reminds me of the 6-button Sega Genesis pads I used to play MK2/UMK3 home ports.
Can't loving wait. Hope the PS4(PGP) controller works on PC too :3:

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 7, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirKibbles posted:

Shinnok shows up at the end of MK9 I've always like Frost because the idea of being like the great grandmaster and just ending up with the worlds worst apprentice.

I know that but they could work on making him better.

Anyway apparently Moloch is dead given that Quan Chi is seen holding his head in the trailer that introduced Kitana. I had just remembered Moloch and was thinking he was pretty cool. He is not Goro level but I don't think anything is wrong with him, but apparently he is disliked. Anyone else find Moloch cool or dislike him?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I dislike Moloch, but more just because his attacks and stuff were pretty boring. Drahmin was kind of lame as well, since they were both introduced together as new boss-ish characters I think Moloch caught a lot of the Drahmin hate. A lot of the Deadly Alliance/Armageddon dudes were like that where they felt like a pale imitation of some other already existing character. Kira and Jarek both being really lame Kano wannabes is another one.

Kurtofan posted:

They actually knew this even when making Mythologies as bad as that was. There's an interview with Boon where he's just straight up like "the minute we saw him as Quan Chi we knew Mortal Kombat 4 was going to be the Quan Chi show." It's actually why they designed the Mortal Kombat 4 cabinet the way they did compared to the illustration art on the 1 and 2 cabinets:
(Please add to OP, no thumbnail)

If you didn't want to get the cabinet from them you could of course just get the board and a big sticker to slap onto your regular cabinet:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 28, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mind putting a t next to the img in that post of yours so it does not take up so much space.

Edit: Checking your post you did. Weird.

Edit 2: Now it's fixed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

Based on the comic and a leaked casting call for the MKX web series, here are some characters yet to be officially announced:

I liked the idea of Cassie Cage, but I'm not sure how I feel if we keep getting more and more family members showing up. Has the potential to feel lazy and seems like it could get out of hand really fast, and combining it with a bunch of untested characters and a whole new story is really risky.

What I liked about MK9 was it went back to the core trilogy, re-vamped the story and characters, and took things in a direction that was both familiar to long-time fans while also throwing a lot of new things our way. I felt like they could build off of that and keep doing more of that while injecting new characters and story to steer away from the terrible later games, but it looks like they don't want to do that.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyone else find Moloch cool or dislike him?

His design is a really uninspired giant monster design but I think some cool, creative stuff could be done with his ball and chain. Motaro's a better choice for sub-boss anyway, even if he could never be playable as a centaur. I'd rather have him just be a computer only character than bipedal again.

Are there other characters from the "lost" MK games after MK3 that could be salvaged for this game? I liked Ashrah's original design with the hat and Hotaru's costume with the flags on his back was cool, even if he was saddled with a woman's name.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RageBeef posted:

I really hope Raiden continues to be completely incompetent and loving everything up like he did in MK9's story mode. Also, tomorrow there's going to be a new character reveal via IGN and then on Thursday NRS is going to be doing a stream which should give us some details on Kitana and Kung Lao.

When I see "Raiden" and Kiefer sutherland it makes me think of a metal gear/mortal kombat crossover, and that would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
When they announced Cassie Cage, I was kind of like "oh they are doing a Mark of the Wolves / Street Fighter III thing where the same characters aren't back but their kids/students/dudes who play like them replace them". Then they announced a bunch of old characters. gently caress this, I need Johnny Cage back.

Also I liked Kenshi because Zatoichi is badass, and I liked Kobra because have Ken in a MK game was sweet as hell.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 28, 2015

• Locked thread