Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

When they announced Cassie Cage, I was kind of like "oh they are doing a Mark of the Wolves / Street Fighter III thing where the same characters aren't back but their kids/students/dudes who play like them replace them". Then they announced a bunch of old characters. gently caress this, I need Johnny Cage back.

The developers talked about how when they came up with Cassie Cage, they didn't even consider the fact that versus play would end up putting her against her parents and you'd have them being up each other and how weird that would be. The fact that they ended up realizing it later on suggests Sonya and Johnny will be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Kung Lao totally stole the show in Reptile's trailer.

Mortal Kombat X - I now have a quarrel with you

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I always liked Ashrah's backstory. Presumably someone behind the scenes did a well, since they essentially made her into Raiden and upped the failure rate on the good intentions. At least Ashrah never flash-fried anyone for calling her out on her bullshit.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Yes I am so excited for this game. Reptile looked amazingly fun to play. Personally, I hope they reveal some more new characters though, like Erron Black.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Boon just tweeted a picture of Bernie Mac.

Ermac confirmed I guess?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Conan O'Brien is gonna be playing MKX tomorrow: http://teamcoco.com/video/preview-clueless-gamer-big-game-showdown-mortal-kombat-x

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Pretty cool how they finally abandoned all these rosters full of dumb characters and stupid stance/weapon/style mechanics to make a good Mortal Kombat game and reboot the franchise. What are they doing with the sequel?

Oh.

Oh....

:(

I really hope this game surpasses my expectations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Variations aren't stances.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, the variations just change up special moves while stances changed up the entire moveset.

I tried a build of MKX at a convention last summer and it was a lot of fun. It still felt like MK9 but much faster and the variations were easy to pick up on.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

My biggest fear for the game was that it would be like Deadly Alliance(?) and have those really dumb weapon stances. I'm really glad that it is not like that.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah the variations/grooves are the furthest thing in the world from stances. And all the new characters pretty much own so far, a MK first :colbert:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I know they aren't, but it's still part of the same obsession. It's a distraction from the core mechanics of the game and makes it exceedingly more difficult to balance. It adds some variety at a lower front-end cost than making entire new characters from the ground up, but I worry is going to make the game overall worse.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Balanced fighting games are overrated

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

mango sentinel posted:

Pretty cool how they finally abandoned all these rosters full of dumb characters and stupid stance/weapon/style mechanics to make a good Mortal Kombat game and reboot the franchise. What are they doing with the sequel?

Oh.

Oh....

:(

I really hope this game surpasses my expectations.

It's not as if NRS can make a good fighting game if they wanted to.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hat Thoughts posted:

Balanced fighting games are overrated

Yeah even the best fighting games have hilariously broken poo poo in them so I couldn't care less. Some of my favorite fighting games are stuff like Real Bout Fatal Fury, Marvel, King of Fighter '96, MK Trilogy, etc. where they just said gently caress it and give you as many options and features as possible.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not as if NRS can make a good fighting game if they wanted to.

MK9 and Injustice are good games. :crossarms:

Games with problems, grant you, but still good.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I remember hearing the playtesters for injustice having to explain what a crossup is to ed boon or some poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ed Boon is a total grandpa but it's not as if he's the one designing these games so it doesn't really matter.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fargin Icehole posted:

Ripping a guys leg off and beating the poo poo out of them with it is the best fatality.

This was the very first fatality I saw in MK4 and to this day it still makes me laugh my rear end off, theres something very comical about such a gruesome act of violence.

We still don't know how/why Kitana, Jax and Kung Lao are revitalized right? Did Raiden work out a deal with the Gods for some of the fallen souls as reparations or something? Also I heard a rumor that the Sub-Zero here is one of the brothers again, both of which were killed if I remember right so there's another that came back.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This was the very first fatality I saw in MK4 and to this day it still makes me laugh my rear end off, theres something very comical about such a gruesome act of violence.

We still don't know how/why Kitana, Jax and Kung Lao are revitalized right? Did Raiden work out a deal with the Gods for some of the fallen souls as reparations or something? Also I heard a rumor that the Sub-Zero here is one of the brothers again, both of which were killed if I remember right so there's another that came back.

The older brother died and became Noob Saibot while the younger got Cyborg'd and then died. If it turns out the Sub-Zeros were triplets I'll be mad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

No explanation yet. We really don't know much about the overall story of the game outside of a couple factors. There's some powerful demon that's made its way into Earthrealm after the rebooted events of MK4 and Raiden's all about tracking down these daggers that I guess are supposed to be the artifacts that Shujinko was searching for in Deception.

The comic has been very vague about which Sub-Zero this is, whether it's one of the brothers or a new guy. They referenced that he used to work for Quan Chi, Kano ends up giving him a scar down the eye like he has in MK3 and there's a glimpse of him fighting Lin Kuei cyborgs, but they haven't outright said who he is yet.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Quan Chi is/was in possession of the souls of those who died in MK9. He already shown to be capable of resurrection with Sindel.

MKX takes place a significant amount of time after MK9 and there's been a war with the Nether-realm so who knows what events have taken place.

Gavok posted:

The comic has been very vague about which Sub-Zero this is, whether it's one of the brothers or a new guy. They referenced that he used to work for Quan Chi, Kano ends up giving him a scar down the eye like he has in MK3 and there's a glimpse of him fighting Lin Kuei cyborgs, but they haven't outright said who he is yet.

If I was a betting man I'd say this Sub-Zero is Kuai-Liang(MK2 and onward) since Quan Chi had his soul and Bi-Han/Noob Saibot got exploded when he was thrown into the soulnado by Nightwolf.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 29, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

They should just have it be Frost, but call her Sub-Zero the whole time as a fakeout.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Who wants to take bets on whether a "capcom" player will win Evo? Perfect Legend doesn't count.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gavok is the MK comic, Injustice comic levels of bad? If so, I look forward to reading it.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I wonder if this game will have a vs cpu mode other than arcade and practice. I don't know how they thought that not having a pick your opponent single match thing was okay to leave out in the first place since it's been a part of fighters since forever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Perestroika posted:

They should just have it be Frost, but call her Sub-Zero the whole time as a fakeout.

Frost is actually FtM transgendered and is working with Raiden because he petitioned the Elder Gods to give them hormone treatments (Lin Kuei medical insurance doesn't cover them).

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Jmcrofts posted:

Who wants to take bets on whether a "capcom" player will win Evo? Perfect Legend doesn't count.

I doubt it, unless you count Chris G as Capcom. MK9 was the first game a lot of people took seriously and I think the "non-capcom" game community is strong enough to stand on its own now.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bosushi! posted:

I doubt it, unless you count Chris G as Capcom. MK9 was the first game a lot of people took seriously and I think the "non-capcom" game community is strong enough to stand on its own now.

I dunno, Justin Wong won $10k for first in the MK9 PDP tournament, and Floe got second. I think the game being out for so little time before Evo will help as well, general fighting game fundamentals will carry more weight since there will be less game-specific tech formulated by that point.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I wanna be middle-aged-guy Sub-Zero, will he be in this game?

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't think a Capcom player has ever won Evo for an NRS game, so I would be surprised. My money would be on either SonicFox, REO, or CD Jr winning it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Beef Waifu posted:

Gavok is the MK comic, Injustice comic levels of bad? If so, I look forward to reading it.

I don't know what you're talking about since the Injustice comic is genuinely great outside of some unfortunate art during Year One.

The MK comic has some serious eye-rolling moments, but I've found it to be really fun so far. The Scorpion issues at least were rad as hell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The large number of ones killed by Sindel towards the end of the story mode during the soulnado thing, in MK9's story they ended up in the netherrealm under Quan Chi's control due to Raiden being a bungler, so they can easily come back.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has Ed Boon teased Zombie Liu Kang yet?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Frost is actually FtM transgendered and is working with Raiden because he petitioned the Elder Gods to give them hormone treatments (Lin Kuei medical insurance doesn't cover them).

I love the concept of the Lin Kuei totally covering full cyborg transformation with onboard weapon systems but not this. :laffo:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Jmcrofts posted:

I dunno, Justin Wong won $10k for first in the MK9 PDP tournament, and Floe got second. I think the game being out for so little time before Evo will help as well, general fighting game fundamentals will carry more weight since there will be less game-specific tech formulated by that point.

Wong and others placing high at PDP is no surprise. As I said, a lot of the current MK/NRS crop didn't take FGs seriously until MK9 and the PDP tournament was only a month after release. By the time EVO rolled around it was all non-capcom players.

Injustice was an April release as well and PR Rog managed to get top 8 but fell early on finals day. ChrisG got 3rd but got exposed when DJT pulled some block string shenanigans that Chris hadn't dealt with before.

Wong or someone similar could take MKX at EVO but it wouldn't be free and they'd have to dedicate way more time to practice it than I think they're willing.

may contain peanuts posted:

I don't think a Capcom player has ever won Evo for an NRS game, so I would be surprised. My money would be on either SonicFox, REO, or CD Jr winning it.

I'm curious to see how SonicFox does with a new game. He exploded onto the scene after MKX and Injustice had already been out a while.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Nobody ever tell Ed Boon that the 90s ended, don't do it!!!!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Perestroika posted:

I actually would like Frost to be in this but in that webcomic thing, Cassie accidentally signed herself up for a Deathmatch against her and we already know Cassie is playable so....

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 29, 2015

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Bosushi! posted:

Injustice was an April release as well and PR Rog managed to get top 8 but fell early on finals day. ChrisG got 3rd but got exposed when DJT pulled some block string shenanigans that Chris hadn't dealt with before.
Oh man, I forgot about that. He just kept doing non-true blockstrings into missiles and Chris had no idea how to deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gavok posted:

I don't know what you're talking about since the Injustice comic is genuinely great outside of some unfortunate art during Year One.

Admittedly, it's not as dumb as some of the dumbest superhero comics, but I think hotwiring a connection to twitter while falling through the Earth's atmosphere, everything involving Nightwing's death, and Sinestro conning the Green Lanterns were all pretty funny in the worst way.

• Locked thread